Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
foxroses

Tokyo Milk to BPAL comparisons

I love the Tokyo Milk Dark line, and Bulletproof is one of my favorites ^_^. I think it smells sort of like spiced cola, woody incense smoke, coconut cream, and black licorice. I don't think that there's a bpal that's better than the real deal or super-close, but you might want to try these for a bit of a similar feel, if you haven't tried them already:

*Schwarzer Mond (limited edition) - "The keeper of secrets: opoponax, Tunisian black amber, night musk, antique patchouli, zdravetz, terebinth, myrrh, and Pimenta racemosa."

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Goblin (Diabolus) - "Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin."

Edited by Little Bird

Unfortunately, Carnaval Diabolique is dark right now, but when it comes back you might try Habu? Snake Oil with ho wood, teak, black musk, and bamboo.

Thanks! I think I have an imp of Schwarzer Mond somewhere that I should dig out. I LOVE the antikythera mechanism, not sure why it didn't occur to me that they were similar. I will definitely try Habu also. yum!

I haven't tried Bulletproof (yet--I really want to), but the Antikythera Mechanism was what jumped to my mind, too. However, if you find that it doesn't work for you and end up layering to get the same effect, I wanted to recommend a possible layering component: the Forbidden Foyer. It's an LE, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a decant and it is the most gorgeous scent of dark, old wood. Just gorgeous.

I think I'm gonna go put some on, actually.

I. Need. This.

Holy crap this stuff is amazing. Perfumers alcohol makes me sneeze though. D: I need a BPAL that matches.

HALP!!!

Notes:

Dark vanilla bean, orchid, tonka, sandalwood, white tea, sparkling citrus.

It's almost like a more vanilla-y caramel-y cashmere mist. It's not foodie, but it's somewhat gourmand. The orchid is there, but it's not screaming white florals, it just adds a softness and creaminess to the blend overtop the sandalwood.

A lot of Beth's sandalwood blends are SUPER STRONG on me. They smell like woody creamy lemony incense, but it's not soft. I need something that isn't heavily sandalwood based, but has that soft wood base note.

Aaaand go!!

I don't have any recommendations, but I loooove TokyoMilk Dark and look forward to the day when I can afford bottles of Everything & Nothing and Bittersweet. I think #62 is called Tainted Love, which I remember liking pretty well too. For alcohol-based perfume, it's really nice and long-lasting, and doesn't SMELL like alcohol like other brands do.

I'm glad someone is finally asking about Tokyomilk Dark because #21 Yesterday (Asuka Rose, Linden, Ginger Root, Aged Wood) is one of my favorite scents ever... *whispers* and if anyone wants to throw in a rec for that one too, while we're on the subject, I would appreciate it!

Anyway, for #62, these both have a floral note and a spice/wood note. Not sure how similar they'll be, but worth investigating?

-Sybaris (Wanderlust): Bright violet with sweet clove, Mediterranean incense notes and tonka bean

-Mata Hari (Bewitching Brews): Five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean

I have been addicted to Tokyo Milk Dark Bittersweet this summer. And I wondered if anyone else here was exploring their other scents. I also have Tainted Love in the hand creme and it's lovely.

I'm glad someone is finally asking about Tokyomilk Dark because #21 Yesterday (Asuka Rose, Linden, Ginger Root, Aged Wood) is one of my favorite scents ever... *whispers* and if anyone wants to throw in a rec for that one too, while we're on the subject, I would appreciate it!

Anyway, for #62, these both have a floral note and a spice/wood note. Not sure how similar they'll be, but worth investigating?

-Sybaris (Wanderlust): Bright violet with sweet clove, Mediterranean incense notes and tonka bean

-Mata Hari (Bewitching Brews): Five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean

Sybaris might be a close match.

Mata Hari is an awesome blend but the coffee is super prominent.

#62 is my first of their perfumes other than the salves/lip bombs. Clive cigarette is to die for. Mmmmn

I have to say, gypsy moth is similar. I think #62 has more of the dark vanilla and gypsy is lacking the sandalwood but they're definitely the same family for me. Total accident that I found one, but I thought I would pass on the comparison.

The first thing that came to my mind when I sniffed no. 62, strangely enough, was Samhain! Something about the sweetness and hint of spice is similar. Samhain is just slightly more spicy, woody, and powdery in comparison.

Sign in to follow this