Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
The Poison Queen

She Crushes for Dead Men Deadly Wine

Poppy wine, chthonic incense, Balm of Gilead, and pomegranate.

In the bottle: dark, sweet wine and opium.

Wet on skin: Almond? Almost a marzipan with pomegranates underneath. My skin is certainly playing around with this scent.

Drydown: Sweet wine and pomegranate. This is very pleasant. Very interested to see how this ages.

I love this one, it's the perfect wine and pomegranate, sweet but acid all at the same time. Win. :wub2:

I recognize the wine from Obsidian Widow I think, another one of my boozy loves.

Edited by stellamaris

I love this blend.

On first application it's very much wine. Straight up oak aged wine.

As it dries though it becomes cooler, slightly spicy, less sweet. I swear there's moss and stone in the blend, like I'm sitting in a graveyard sipping wine.

It's so very cool on my skin. Ozone-y and woody, but there is also the rich spice of the incense and tartness of the pomegranate. Very different form what I expected out of the notes, but absolutely stunning.

It layers marvelously with the lavender based blends from this release.

GAH SWEET!

This is rich heady SWEET red fruit and SWEET wine and SWEET resins.

It's like Manishevitz if there was a pomegranate flavor. I do feel like maybe the Balm of Gilead made an effort to calm things down a little before throwing up its arms and jumping on the sweet bandwagon.

My teeth hurt.

Tzi

I got a decant of this mostly for the Balm of Gilead, though I'm surprised I haven't gone after more pomegranate scents, since they're probably one of my favorite fruits.

In the imp: Pomegranate with a bit of booze - honestly, I'm not completely familiar with opium or poppy, so that's one of those scents I'm probably getting, but don't know.

Wet on skin: fruit - more cherry than pomegranate at the moment - still has that alcoholic edge, though.

Dried down: The incense came out in the drying down, though it faded a bit to the background in the end. I don't think the Balm of Gilead ever came out for me, which is a little disappointing, but I do love what's here.

Throw: Sweet pomegranate, with whiffs of incense. This is lovely.

Verdict: ***** Yes, I'm going to need a bottle of this. And I'm going to try to restrain myself, but I'm thinking of getting two. I just haven't smelled anything like this yet!

Sweet, sweet wine. Did I mention that this is sweet? It's kind of spicy and incensey, but the wine really is the forerunner of this blend. Not exactly a red, but a red fruit wine not made with grapes. It reminds me a bit of the Misfortune Teller v3 prototype, but I like that one better, as it's not really 'winey', but has the lovely incense and spices. Nice to try, but now I'm appreciating Misfortune even more.:)

This is a true wine smell a bit like zadok allen vineyard, except sweeter, with less of a vinegary quality. Does Balm of Gilead smell like honey? There's something like that here as well as a poppy flower note. Nice.

Edit: I know I said it smells like wine, but actually, it smells more like someone took a glass of wine and mixed it with an equal measure of pomegranite juice. Still good.

Edited by patina

Dark, sweet, boozy pomegranate wine with a swirl of incense.

If you like dark wine blends, dark pom blends, or were looking for a pom + wine blend, give this a whirl. This is a 'red' vibe blend.

Dark, seductive, wine.

I admit that i've never smelled something like this before. Posters above me claim that it smells like wine, but i don't agree with them.

When wet it smells like crushed grape that is about to start fermenting with a good dose of incense and balm of Gilead.

The end result is strangely hypnotic and has a fruity/ distnat bubblegum note and it reminds me of melted candle wax over pomegranate infused wine.

This was a really nice surprise for me, because I thought it might be too boozy, but it's a great scent.

In the bottle: honey wine and maybe grape, or cherry. No pom.

Wet: The pom blooms on my skin and overpowers everything else for a few minutes -- I amp pom and love it. The pom mixes really well with the wine. The BPAL pom note often goes too tart on me, but this is a very dark sweet version. On me the pom keeps the sweetness other people mentioned in check and I get some incense, and the balm I think adds a really nice hint of wood. This scent is dark, complex and well-blended. Not flowery, and not that fruity either: it's rich dark red wine with dark berries, maybe mahogany. It glows like a ruby. I know I'm emphasizing the wine but it really doesn't smell that boozy. It's maybe more like the flavour you get in a red wine reduction, very rich.

Drydown: Doesn't really morph at all on me. It gets a little sweeter and more of the incense comes out. It has GREAT throw -- my husband smelled it a few feet away from me outside on a windy day! Lasted a fairly long while, too. It's a great fall/winter scent.

Verdict: I'm just sorry I didn't get two bottles.

Edited by theredshoes

In the bottle - A very dark, almost smoky red wine

Wet on me - Rich red wine with a powdery core and something green in the background

Dry on me - A rich heady red wine with undercurrents of musk and sweetness

Overall - Very nice indeed, I was worried it would be too tannic but it settled down

She Crushes for Men Happy, Fruity Wine. The description led me to believe that this would be a much darker blend than it is (I looked up chthonic, it means related to the underworld...) This is sweet, bright and bouncy, almost juicyfruit at first. It smells more alcoholic in the imp than it does once it hits my skin; I could easily wear this to work.

On drydown I start to perceive a bit of the incense, but the overall tone is still bright and fruity. I like it, but I was hoping for something a little more sultry.