Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

I have a deeply held personal belief that a touch (or more) of citrus goes with just about anything, and that chocolate orange is one of the loveliest scents known to man. I blended my own using cacao absolute and wild orange EO.

I really, really like the wild orange (as opposed to clementine, blood orange, sweet orange, etc) because it's not as sweet. It's tart without being particularly sour, so I like it to counterbalance the sweetness and richness of the chocolate. I haven't tried Bliss (it's on the list, though), but if it's a true milk chocolate scent like the description says, I bet it would go beautifully with just a few drops of wild orange. If you're looking for a very rich, very sweet and exotic orange, try blood orange. It's beautiful.

(Is it odd that every time I try to type "wild," I end up typing "wilde"?)

i wish 13 had smelled all chocolately and good on me...all i ever got was a milky lemon kinda scent :D

maybe layering centzon totochtin with swank...although swank is actually pomegranite i bet it would be a whimsical mixture!!!

*note to self* :P

I love Centzon Totochtin, but neither Velvet nor Cerberus worked on my skin. I like Spooky, but the chocolate note disappears almost instantly.

I haven't tried Bliss, but for more pure chocolatey goodness I'd recommend AvaLuxe's Luxe Chocolate and DSHs Bois du Chocolate and Creamy chocolate. Fleurs de chocolate is pretty nice too, a chocolatey floral. Also, Dream Esscents have quite a lot of chocolate scents, although I havent't tried them yet.

Kali on me smells of wonderfully sexy chocolate and wine and slight florals.

Tezcatlipoca is a very powdery chocolate, and on me did this weird green-banana thing.

Santa Muerte smells like cocoa in the bottle, despite not having cocoa in it.

Kali on me smells of wonderfully sexy chocolate and wine and slight florals.

Tezcatlipoca is a very powdery chocolate, and on me did this weird green-banana thing.

Santa Muerte smells like cocoa in the bottle, despite not having cocoa in it.

Centzon Totochin smells STRONGLY of wine and dark chocolate to me. I looooooove it.

I totally agree.

Lump of Coal is dead on chocolate brownie. I think someone already mentioned 13.

ETA: i love b&bw pure simplicity cocoa stuff.

Edited by brownbear

I hope no one minds if I revive this topic.

I'm looking for some cocoa/chocolate help. I've decided it's the best note on my skin ever EVAR. Kali is my best friend - so smooth and sexy. And Velvet is deadly on me... in such a good good way. Bliss disappears in all of 3 minutes (but sure is deliciously awesome until then).

Some of my other favourites include: Alice, Regan, Queen Mab, Blood Countess, Titania, Morocco, Horreur Sympathique, Lick It Again, Pumpkin Queen.

Many florals are horrible on my skin (lily, gardenia, tuberose, honeysuckle, orange flower) and although I ADORE spices I've found the BPAL ones are short-lived on me then turn to pickles. Overly foody scents like Eat Me and Miskatonic University turn cloyingly sweet.

Snake Oil was way too heavy incense on my skin, but Boomslang has me intrigued because of the cocoa. I've also seen lots of recommendations for Centzon Totochtin and Tezcatlipoca.

Is there anything else new under the sun for me to try? Any specific direction I should be facing? Anything to avoid?? Will Boomslang like me or should I run away from him and all his incense?

(oh and I have an imp of Love-Lies-Bleeding on order)

Is there anything else new under the sun for me to try? Any specific direction I should be facing? Anything to avoid?? Will Boomslang like me or should I run away from him and all his incense?

Hi :P Another chocolate lover here. I'm one of the few people on whom Snake Oil does not work. But, because of the cocoa, I tried Boomslang. I think that it's thanks to the cocoa and teakwood that it does work on me on me at all, covering up the unpleasant tang of the Snake Oil (though it's much more wonderful in a scent locket).

A lot of other chocolate lovers really like Intrigue (black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes). I wanted to like it, but fig doesn't work on me. If Pumpkin Queen worked on you, look for some Pumpkin Patch #2 (pumpkin with cocoa, hazelnut, and walnut) to try. My favorite is, of course, Velvet, but I also wear The Tell-Tale Heart (blood musk, cocoa, black pepper, allspice, dragon’s blood resin and vetiver) fairly regularly. The Candy Butcher (dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone) from the Carnaval Diabolique might be your answer to Bliss' fading. It's not too sweet, but does have that milk chocolate feel to it.

And, of course, definitely try Centzon Totochtin and Tezcatlipoca. :D

Intrigue, of course, I forgot! I'll add that to my next order, and Boomslang.

I'll keep my eyes open for Pumpkin Patch #2 (and Tell-Tale Heart, although I've never even seen a glimpse of that one!!!).

Thanks, Kraken!

My skin tends to make cocoa notes vanish, but after the initial lavender clary sage assault, and temporary vanishing, Wulric turns into a very subtle, but long-lasting, soft vanilla-cocoa scent on me. :P

Treat #2 was also pretty nice (but that probably doesn’t help much).

E.T.A.: I wanted to throw in another vote for Velvet. :D

Edited by icing

I would highly recommend Centzon Totochtin! Its the only cocoa/chocolate that I've been able to wear without it turning to plastic (Candy Butcher, Bliss, Vice, Boomslang, I'm talkin to youse guys). The combo of cocoa and rich tobacco are gorgeous, and it last forever!

Vice did not work on me thanks to the cherries.

Intrigue was all wood-chip and scratch n' snif sticker on me.

I am glad these work for some people though :P

Velvet is another story... Swoon! But how does Boomslang compare? I already have a bottle of Snake Oil, and I don't want to get something that fades into pure SO. And I could just get Velvet if it compares enough to Boomslang... Although my feeling is that Boomslang is *better* than Velvet.

What do the experts say? I know it is very individual, but it would be so reassuring to get some feeback here.

Velvet is another story... Swoon! But how does Boomslang compare? I already have a bottle of Snake Oil, and I don't want to get something that fades into pure SO. And I could just get Velvet if it compares enough to Boomslang...

Velvet is my absolute favorite. Boomslang is very nice, much more on the chocolate and less on the woods. I'd say its closer to Candy Butcher than it is to Velvet. I wear it in a scent locket and the cocoa balances nicely with the Snake Oil. I couldn't wear it at all if it was mostly Snake Oil, so I think the other notes balance it out very well.

With the caveat that I can generally only wear cocoa notes, as opposed to chocolate notes (weird difference, I know...):

I adore Velvet - it is so rich and sultry and not sweet per se, but almost like mole - spicy, incensey, dark unsweetened cocoa.

Boomslang is not really similar (at least in my scent memory - I have not done a side by side) - it is sweet spicy, vanilla cocoa. I do get a lot of Snake Oil from it, at least in its new form. A lot of the adjectives are the same (spicy, cocoa, rich) - but the scent is really very different to my nose.

As for different chocolates, I would definitely try Wulric - it is the most masculine, virile chocolate/cocoa scent I've ever smelled. Any chocolate conneseur should absolutely try at least a decant of this one.

For older LEs, Freak Show, from the original Carnival Noir collection has cocoa and fig :P, Spooky is chocolate mint cookies on a lot of people...

And of course, the 13s...which you should have a chance to buy direct here in a week or so. :D

This is a pretty bizarre request, but is there anything in the bpal catalogue that smells like chocolate milk? I'm thinking Bliss may be my best bet, but I'm really looking for something milkier than pure chocolate. What say you, experienced bpalers?

This is a pretty bizarre request, but is there anything in the bpal catalogue that smells like chocolate milk? I'm thinking Bliss may be my best bet, but I'm really looking for something milkier than pure chocolate. What say you, experienced bpalers?

I think that Bliss is your best bet. It doesn't really have the cream note, but it is a soft milk chocolate, but then there is Candy Butcher and that has more of a cream note, although there seems to be more going on with it. Depending on your chemistry, you might not pick up those other things. Bliss is more straightforward.

By the way, happy birthday :P

I think that Bliss is your best bet. It doesn't really have the cream note, but it is a soft milk chocolate, but then there is Candy Butcher and that has more of a cream note, although there seems to be more going on with it. Depending on your chemistry, you might not pick up those other things. Bliss is more straightforward.

By the way, happy birthday :P

Thanks! :D

I can afford *one* bottle next paycheck. I want it to be chocolatey. Having done some research, the short list is come to these three:

The Candy Butcher

Bliss

Boomslang

I like deep, dark chocolate. This is something for my not shy days. Something with a big throw would be excellent for my hungry skin.

Suggestions? Experiences? What made you smell like you were 70% gourmet cocoa?

Edited by KikuPeach

I vote for The Candy Butcher! It's dark chocolate (as opposed to Bliss's milk chocolate, and Boomslang's disappearing chocolate) that lasts, and with some musky, sweet floral undercurrent.

My absolute favorite is the Candy Butcher, but I have noticed that some of the reviewers complained of the milky note. It's the one chocolate perfume *and I have tons* that people always comment on.

The Candy Butcher is the most chocolatey, but Boomslang has crazy throw. Of the two, I prefer Boomslang because it's a lot more complex on me - I like the Snake Oil spices and stuff. Whatever you decide, save Bliss for later, since it's a GC and likely to be widely available for a long, long time. It is lovely, pure milk chocolate and you can't go wrong with it, but get something special while you can.

Candy Butcher. I've tried all three, and Boomslang was surprisingly unchocolate-y. Bliss is distinctly chocolate, but it's a giant Hershey bar; Candy Butcher is really fine chocolate, the kind that you don't even really eat, you just get shavings over a fancy dessert in a restaurant. If that makes sense. :P It's also the only one of the three I liked enough to keep.

Definitely fifthing (or whatever :P) Candy Butcher. It's definitely the most chocolatey, even though its throw is inferior to Boomslang. If you're looking for 70% unsweetened cocoa, Candy Butcher is it.