Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

I really want a chocolate scent, but all of the chocolates I've tried (most famously Serendipitous and Amour de Cacao), or read descriptions of, were sweeter than sweet. I can't wear candy-sweet scents; they turn cloying and headachey on me and I end up smelling like an Easter basket in late August. I prefer to eat dark chocolate and drink British cocoa, and I'd really like a cocoa scent without all the butter/sugar/vanilla-y scents they always seem to be wedded to. Can anyone recommend a good scent along those lines, from BPAL or elsewhere? Ta muchly!

For a dark chocolate scent, I'd recommend Centzon Totochtin. It's very dark chocolate with red wine and rum, not buttery at all.

Velvet, Centzon Totochtin, Tezcatlipoca and Intrigue are all dark and not sweet. Look at the other notes and see what appeals to you most, or order samples of all four! :P

Centzon Totochin went a bit sweetish on me.

Tezcatlipoca is much darker, in my opinion.

I'd recommend Intrigue, it was dark chocolatey on me. I can't exactly recommend Centzon Totochtin, because it smelled more like dirt & less like chocolate when I wore it.

I found Velvet to be darker than Centzon Totochtin, because the dragon's blood and wine are such -red- scents to me, plus there is a kind of sweetness in that one. The sandalwood in Velvet adds a particular woody kind of bitterness to it. I haven't tried Tezcatlipoca yet, but it's definitely on my wishlist, and Intrigue wasn't chocolatey at all on me.

So, of the three I've tried, I'd recommend Velvet for your needs (though I personally prefer Centzon Totochtin, just slightly).

I'd recommend Intrigue, it was dark chocolatey on me. I can't exactly recommend Centzon Totochtin, because it smelled more like dirt & less like chocolate when I wore it.

lol...how funny! The second I saw this thread title I thought "Graveyard Dirt?" because to be honest dark unsweetened cocoa smells (and tastes :P ) like dirt to me.

FWIW, Intrigue wasn't chocolate on me either. I got pine and pencil shavings, IIRC. Not unpleasant, but definitely not chocolatey with my chemistry.

Of the three I have tried, Velvet is my favorite, because the chocolate mixed with sandalwood isn't a sweet chocolate at all, but it's so delicious I want to gnaw my arm off.

Tezcatlipoca is dark and delicious also; it's more of a chocolate and incense blend.

Centzon Totochtin is too fruity for my tastes, but it's still nice.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have ordered imps of Tezatlipoca and Centzon Tch... thingy-- they sound most like what I'm looking for, as I really don't care for woody notes in my fragrances. Now to settle in and wait.

I remember my first impression of Intrigue being thick Hershey's syrup... =)

In addition to the woody notes that you don't like, I think that the fig in Intrigue might make it a little too sweet for your taste. I haven't tried the other, so I can't really comment on those.

Centzon Totochtin: Blood, Wine & Chocolate.

Tezcatlipoca: Bitter Chocolate, Leather, Patchouli, Incense. OH MY GOD. soooooooo bloody good.

warning: these are both Viscious Chocolates. neither one is sweet. they are fierce. not milkchocolate, but bitter chocolate. AWESOME.

n.

with two bottles on the way :dances:

For anyone lusting after more chocolate BPAL, you might want to try *combining* a bit of Bliss with some other scents :D as in, half-imp of Bliss+half-imp of another scent. I know for a fact that Bliss+Scherazade= :P !!! I'm sure it would go wonderfully with other incense and wood blends :D

For those who know more about this than me, does Kali smell of chocolate? I looooove Centzon Totochtin, I want something with the same sinful dark chocolate and wine smell. Does kali have this?

Bliss + Zombi = 

It's choclikety-rosy-weird!

Word to that! Bliss + nearly anything = fabulous! I've layered it over White Rabbit, Velvet, Jack, Midway and Morocco and loved them all. I don't have many imps yet, so I'm getting creative. :P

I hate to bump this topic when its actually rather old, but I was randomly looking around BPAL forums with my recent obsession with chocolate scents in mind and all the sudden it hit me- ORANGE CHOCOLATE!!!! So I did a search and here it is.

To add to it, does anyone know of a scent that combines chocolate, orange and a wine-ish rum-ish scent? I luuuuuurvve Centzon Totochtin, which is like dark chocolate and wine/rum on me. Anything like that with orange added in?

oh nummmm *Daydreams*

EDIT: I've already tried Vice, I don't like it. It smelled like rotten sweet tarts on me :P

Edited by LadyMagpie

13 is like "the" orange chocolate scent.. I hate orange chocolate, and bought 13 without thinking about it.. opened it up and "ewww! chocolate oranges!"

Definitely get a bottle of 13.. there are enough of them out there, I'm sure you'll be able to find it. I had to sell mine on ebay because no one on the forum bit.

Mmmm... 13... :P

13 is a great scent. I ended up giving a bottle to my best friend's 70+ year-old mom, she loved it on me so much!

I find Hunger satiates my chocolate-orange love, actually. That said, I have smelled it on someone else and it didn't smell /near/ as good, so it might be a pretty body-chemistry dependent oil.

I suppose if I was going to do a BPAL chocolate orange scent I'd get a chocolate scent like Bliss and mix it with mandarine essential oil. I tend to find that mandarine is really the most lovely to mix with sweet scents, but unfortunately I don't think there's a primary-mandarine scent in the BPAL catalog. You can pick it up as an essential fairly cheap, though.

13 is definitely the way to go. It morphs into something that isn't so foody (at least, it did on me), but the chocolate and orange are still dominant. Post in the Wanted part of the Swaps threads and see if someone wants to imp you some.