Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

Hi, everyone -

I normally lean towards florals, but I'm really in the mood for something different. I think I'd like to try a few imps of something with some chocolate in it. Not flat out FOODIE, but chocolate. Any recommendations? I've done forum searches, so I think I'll grab an imp of Velvet, but if I want to do the basic set of six (if there are that many recommendations), what other five do you think I should chase down?

Thanks very much!

I wan to second the rec for The Last Unicorn (Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.)

It has a light floral perfume mixed with sweet chocolate and coconut that is very pretty. Given that you like florals, I think it would be a great choice for a chocolatey scent for you. It's not available on it's own in imp form, only as part of the Series I imp set, but you might want to track it down in the forums. And it's not an LE, just one of the more expensive special collections in the GC.

I wan to second the rec for The Last Unicorn (Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss.)

It has a light floral perfume mixed with sweet chocolate and coconut that is very pretty. Given that you like florals, I think it would be a great choice for a chocolatey scent for you. It's not available on it's own in imp form, only as part of the Series I imp set, but you might want to track it down in the forums. And it's not an LE, just one of the more expensive special collections in the GC.

Hmmm... you know, I normally need time to think or re-think what I want to order, but on a second thought, this does sound very much right up my alley. Even if there's no imp available, I'd say the combo of lilac, violet, white chocolate, coconut and white sandalwood - all of which are favorites of mine! - intrigues me enough that I'd like to try this.

Still waiting on my six imps, but I may go ahead and order The Last Unicorn anyway - thank you again!

My personal chocolate experiences: Boomslang is the best cocoa combo EVAH. Hands down. It is not foody in the least.

Black Temple Burlesque Troupe and Gelt both went weird and awful on me. Velvet can smell off, too at certain times of the month. WILF had way too much going on, as do the 13's I have tried: I just don't like cocoa or chocolate combined with a bunch of flowers, mint, etc on my skin.

As for the delightful Bliss, I like to sniff it or put it in a scent locket when I'm in the mood for a foody chocolate scent...it is pure milk choc and really heavenly. It actually does make me happier when I smell it. And Bittersweet Chocolate bath oil is to die for.

Hi everyone! This is Lisa (formerly LisaF1163), I'm the one you all just helped find chocolate scents! I re-registered with this account because I tried to update my email address, and my whole account just kind of quit on me! :thud: I don't think it was a problem with the BPAL forums - my computer's been acting funny ever since Hurricane Sandy came through NY. So I figured since I didn't have a lot of posts to begin with, I'd just start a new account (mods, I hope that was okay).

Anyway, the six imps came tonight, and I'm currently wearing "Bliss", which I LOVE!! It's so chocolatey! I got a real whiff of peanut M&Ms straight from the imp (LOL!). I've had it on my wrists for about an hour now, and the nuttiness isn't there on my skin. I've now got just this lovely pure chocolate and sugar smell. I know there's no mint listed, but I am getting a little hint of a mint smell behind the chocolate. Has anyone else gotten that?

I'll try to put up a better review in the actual review section - I just wanted to let you know I got the imps, I love the smell of all of them at first whiff, and I'm going to be trying them out over the holiday. Thank you all again! :wub2:

Edited by lisalovesbpal

I just wanted to bump this to thank everyone who recommended The Last Unicorn to me - it just arrived, and I'm already in love!

I get no chocolate from it except from the bottle upon opening, and a little bit on the wet application, and it's amazing - I mean, a floral with chocolate and sandalwood? Incredible!

Then on the dry down, the chocolate disappears, and I'm left with just the most gorgeous floral with the soft white sandalwood underneath. I love this, I honestly just want to slather it on myself! It's just so gorgeous!

I am really a foody kind of girl but I have tried Boomslang and loved it.

Is there any other cocoa type blends similar to Boomslang?

I used to have a Mayan Dark Chocolate blend and it was too much chocolate for me. Thanks

I think How Doth the Little Crocodile is amazing. it's not quite as brownie-like as Boomslang, but it does have a similar chocolate paired with woods vibe. and it's GC so you can easily get an imp. I find that it's nice both fresh and aged, with age bringing out more of the foodiness. fresh, it smells quite a bit more woody and balanced.

You can still get Gelt right now with the current Yules. It's a very dry cocoa and amber scent. like sticking your nose in a tin of high quality cocoa powder whilst amber incense is burning in your kitchen. or something :lol:

Bliss is a GC very similar to Gelt. almost identical. i like to layer Bliss with Aureus, which is a dry, dirty, sandalwood amber.

The Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love is a lovely salty cocoa incense smell. not as edible smelling as Boomslang, but still gorgeous. probably somewhat hard to find as it was a ThinkGeek exclusive scent. this was my first ever BPAL and an instant and current love.

Delight and Consternation was a Luper from 2013 or 2012. it's like lemon poppyseed muffins with cocoa made less foody by skin musk. it's a bit perfumey smelling sometimes, but the lemon cocoa combined with oudh is so gentle and unique.

Candy Butcher is another great one...but good luck trying to find any :P if you can get an imp of Bliss, don't worry about this one. just as good.

El Dia de los Reyes, which is a Yule that you can get this year is a very nice chocolate. It has that same sort of vibe as Boomslang to me.

I think How Doth the Little Crocodile is amazing. it's not quite as brownie-like as Boomslang, but it does have a similar chocolate paired with woods vibe. and it's GC so you can easily get an imp. I find that it's nice both fresh and aged, with age bringing out more of the foodiness. fresh, it smells quite a bit more woody and balanced.

Listen to Rhu! These recs are all awesome (Malignant Dreams, Delight & Consternation and Candy Butcher are all some some of my faves), but get some Croc if you can. I was so surprised by it. I stayed away from it for years because I thought it would be a gross, toothpaste sort of mint mixed with sweetness, but duh, why would Beth do that? It's a sexy, incense-y woods blend with chocolate and just a hint of soft peppermint to brighten it. Really gorgeous, and in fact, I just ordered a bottle a while ago.

What to add... maybe Tarantula Fascinator (Fuzzy cacao-drenched hazelnut with hay absolute, black pepper, and nutmeg, laced with stripes of wild plum and white sandalwood)? It might be too heavy on the choc for you, but a lot of people compare it to Boomslang and hopefully the other notes should offset it for you.

I'd like to mention just how good Gula is if you like bath oil.

Yes!

And, the Bittersweet Chocolate BO.

Tarantula fascinator smells nothing like Boomslang to me. Its straight up tobacco with benzoin drydown. No chocolate.

Bumping this for those who were looking for Boomslang but had a hard time tracking some down in Sales/Swaps...the Snake Pit is back! This year's Boomslang retains what I loved about the original...it's like Snake Oil dipped in cocoa. :yum:

I love Bliss, but I can't wear dark chocolate note from Lupers' Bonbons. (Haven't tried the milk chocolate note from that collection.) That dryness just feels weird on skin. Wulric is okay, but the cocoa there isn't that prominent on me. I did like hazelnut+chocolate "Nutella" effect in O The Joy Of My Spirit!, but, again, didn't get so much cocoa after it settled. I liked the chocolate note in How Doth The Little Crocodile on its own, but other ingredients drowned it out.

I think I'll pass on The Candy Butcher unless I can find a convenient decant offered along something else. I'm not that into most of other Lab "foodie" notes, so I'm not confident about the vanilla.

How do you think I will feel about Boomslang and Baby's First Krampuslauf?

Edited by Convallaria

I love Bliss, but I can't wear dark chocolate note from Lupers' Bonbons. (Haven't tried the milk chocolate note from that collection.) That dryness just feels weird on skin. Wulric is okay, but the cocoa there isn't that prominent on me. I did like hazelnut+chocolate "Nutella" effect in O The Joy Of My Spirit!, but, again, didn't get so much cocoa after it settled. I liked the chocolate note in How Doth The Little Crocodile on its own, but other ingredients drowned it out.

I think I'll pass on The Candy Butcher unless I can find a convenient decant offered along something else. I'm not that into most of other Lab "foodie" notes, so I'm not confident about the vanilla.

Boomslang vanished in under five minutes on me, so I can't help you there. But if it doesn't work for you, you may want to try Velvet from the GC for another spin on chocolate + vanilla incense. It's cocoa with vanilla, sandalwood, and myrrh and is church-incense dominant rather than foodie.

My favorite cocoa/chocolate scents are El Dia de los Reyes, one of the recurring Yules, which is a dead ringer for the scent of baking brownies (super foodie), and Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco, and Vetiver (non-foodie, mostly tobacco & vetiver), but close behind them is this May's Friday the 13th LE. It starts out a really weird and not at all harmonious mix of chocolate and resins, which I suspect is why it doesn't seem to have been a big hit, but after a half-hour or so it eventually settles into a soft cocoa skin-scent that lasts all day, even on my chocolate-note-eating skin.

Edited by Elspethdixon

Boomslang vanished in under five minutes on me, so I can't help you there. But if it doesn't work for you, you may want to try Velvet from the GC for another spin on chocolate + vanilla incense. It's cocoa with vanilla, sandalwood, and myrrh and is church-incense dominant rather than foodie.

My favorite cocoa/chocolate scents are El Dia de los Reyes, one of the recurring Yules, which is a dead ringer for the scent of baking brownies (super foodie), and Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco, and Vetiver (non-foodie, mostly tobacco & vetiver), but close behind them is this May's Friday the 13th LE. It starts out a really weird and not at all harmonious mix of chocolate and resins, which I suspect is why it doesn't seem to have been a big hit, but after a half-hour or so it eventually settles into a soft cocoa skin-scent that lasts all day, even on my chocolate-note-eating skin.

Thank you! I already planned ordering imps of GCs that have been mentioned in this topic and don't contain notes I have problem with.

I think I've already tried Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco and Vetiver - as one of Lupers with dark chocolate note I mentioned. The problem is, I really didn't like the "dark chocolate" note there and want to avoid it - one of reasons I'm having second thoughts on Boomslang and Krampuslauf.

I'm also uncertain about 13 because of the patchouli - it can go bad on me sometimes.

I'll keep my eye out for El Dia de los Reyes, then, maybe look for old decant/sample. Thanks for the rec!

Thank you! I already planned ordering imps of GCs that have been mentioned in this topic and don't contain notes I have problem with.

I think I've already tried Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco and Vetiver - as one of Lupers with dark chocolate note I mentioned. The problem is, I really didn't like the "dark chocolate" note there and want to avoid it - one of reasons I'm having second thoughts on Boomslang and Krampuslauf.

I'm also uncertain about 13 because of the patchouli - it can go bad on me sometimes.

I'll keep my eye out for El Dia de los Reyes, then, maybe look for old decant/sample. Thanks for the rec!

The May 2016 Thirteen doesn't have patchouli - it's "blackened cacao" with "Siamese red benzoin, olibanum, black copal, fossilized amber oil, sweet myrrh, Coptic rose resin, guggul gum, dragon’s blood resin, Palo Santo, bdellium, dammar gum, and attar of onycha." I remember because I wikipedia'd some of those notes when it was released, since I'd never heard of bdellium and onycha before

El Dia de los Reyes may re-occur this December if we're lucky (I hope so, anyway, since it's my wife's favorite and I like to keep a back-up bottle on-hand). One of the other recurring Yules, Gelt, is also chocolate, but I've never tried that one because it always seemed excessive to buy two chocolate perfumes at once and there's usually another Yule LE I want more to accompany ELdlR. My bet is that it's a milk chocolate note, though, because those gold-foil covered Hanukkah coins are usually made out of cheap milk chocolate.

ETA: Somebody upthread mentioned The Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love, which is hard to find, but worth trying if you can track down a decant. It's a salty aquatic with chocolate, and despite chocolate and aquatics/salt both being iffy notes on me (one can disappear and the other usually turns into soap), the combination is weirdly sexy.

Edited by Elspethdixon

The May 2016 Thirteen doesn't have patchouli - it's "blackened cacao" with "Siamese red benzoin, olibanum, black copal, fossilized amber oil, sweet myrrh, Coptic rose resin, guggul gum, dragon’s blood resin, Palo Santo, bdellium, dammar gum, and attar of onycha." I remember because I wikipedia'd some of those notes when it was released, since I'd never heard of bdellium and onycha before

El Dia de los Reyes may re-occur this December if we're lucky (I hope so, anyway, since it's my wife's favorite and I like to keep a back-up bottle on-hand). One of the other recurring Yules, Gelt, is also chocolate, but I've never tried that one because it always seemed excessive to buy two chocolate perfumes at once and there's usually another Yule LE I want more to accompany ELdlR. My bet is that it's a milk chocolate note, though, because those gold-foil covered Hanukkah coins are usually made out of cheap milk chocolate.

ETA: Somebody upthread mentioned The Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love, which is hard to find, but worth trying if you can track down a decant. It's a salty aquatic with chocolate, and despite chocolate and aquatics/salt both being iffy notes on me (one can disappear and the other usually turns into soap), the combination is weirdly sexy.

Ah, it wasn't patchouli, but dragon's blood resin! But I knew I dismissed it over an iffy note. Pity because I love all of other resins in the mix.

Hopefully next Yule will have at least one edible chocolate, then.

I like salt, and I ate salted chocolate before, so Malignant Dreams sounds like something I should like, too! I think I saw some on one of sales I have bookmarked.

ETA

I should also mention I liked the cocoa note in Seven Word Story: Sloth.

Edited by Convallaria

Hey, could anyone compare Velvet and Gelt for me? Similarities, differences? Also, where would Boomslang vary from these? Thanks :)

I didn't particularly care for the chocolate in Seven Word Story: Sloth - it was all just too gloopy for me. But Velvet is a favourite but the cocoa is so deep and rich I don't really think of it as a chocolate scent as such. Bliss is as creamy as it gets to be honest. The newer version of Candy Butcher didn't go down great with me. The cream note ended up a little off on me and the chocolate was just a bit too bitter for my liking. I nursed my bath oil of Gula for a really long time and So Full of Gratitude was gorgeous too. Both smelt like a chocolate factory every time they were in my bath. I haven't had a great experience with the bonbons I've tried so far. The white chollate in White Chocolate Goats Milk Marshmallow Honey (or some combination similar) were just completely overpowered by the goats milk and honey making something almost cakey that just didn't work. White Chocolate Pepper Strawberry was railroadd by the pepper. Maybe the white chocolate note is too weak on me? And Dark Chocolate Tobacco and Vetiver was all vetiver but me and vetiver have a tense relationship anyway.

Just checking to see if anyone ever found a sweet cocoa scent similar to the heavy perfume in The Too Faced Chocolate bar palette? I love the scent and the only chocolate BPAL scent I have tried failed miserably on me.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:52 PM, faylie said:

Hey, could anyone compare Velvet and Gelt for me? Similarities, differences? Also, where would Boomslang vary from these? Thanks :)

I know this is much delayed, but I can make this comparison. 

On me, they're both soft, dry scents -- but Gelt is much more cocoa as a major player while Velvet is predominantly woody with a hint of cocoa around the edges. 

Boomslang, on me, is somewhere between the two in terms of the intensity of the chocolate note. The chocolate is definitely present, but it's also a background player to the primary notes of Snake Oil. 

I'm hoping this may be a place to find answers. :) I did the Goblin Grab Bag and my mystery imp is the most viscous brown oil I've ever seen, even after rolling. In the imp it's Bliss but on the skin it's a darker chocolate with a slight floral/powder note. Any ideas what it might be?