Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

I ordered two from the Box of Chocolates set, plus the Bittersweet Chocolate Bath Oil, and I can't wait to try them.

It's funny; I always thought I hated chocolate scents, even after smelling several chocolate BPAL oils. I think I had smelled so many fake chocolate products that my brain could not process good quality chocolate scents without thinking they were fake smelling too. After a while though, I realized that I really LOVE BPAL chocolate notes, most especially in Velvet, which I cannot stop slathering on myself. :wub2:

I got one of the Dark Chocolate ones from the Box of Chocolates. I really love the chocolate in some 13s, that seems like dark to me. For Milk there is nothing like Gelt.

OK, I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this problem..

To me, there are two distinct chocolate notes that the Lab uses (to me, I want to stress this): one that is heavenly, dark and rich - and one that is waxy and smells like a scratch-n-sniff postcard.

Good chocolate: Boomslang, Milk Chocolate with Macadamia Nut, Coconut, Button Mushrooms, and Marshmallow

Bad chocolate: Bliss, Velvet, any Thirteen I have encountered so far

What could the issue be? Is it me, or are there two kinds of chocolate that are used in the Lab's blends?

I can never be sure if a chocolate scent will work for me. Most of them are horrible on me, but I cannot ignore them completely in case they are really awesome! (The kind of awesome I hope Candy Butcher will be..)

Honey it sounds like it is your particular skin chemistry, maybe someone else can point out a particular note that may be bad for you, because I can see that you are reacting adversely sometimes to Milk (Bliss) and Dark (Thirteen) chocolate.

How about the white?

I am not sure.. Boomslang has cocoa, and that worked for me. But many Thirteens have cocoa, and they didn't smell just as nice.

The milk chocolate in the latest Valentine's scent with the macadamia and coconut was great on me, too. So it cannot be milk per se.

White chocolate hasn't really worked for me (as far as I can recall it).

But I think that, in general, I should stick with cocoa notes and stay away from the chocolate notes. Sometimes cocoa may be iffy on me, but that could be due to other components that do not work with my skin chemistry.

That could very well be! Alas, "sugar" is not always listed as a note, even if it is part of a blend. :(

I have always suspected that the combination of notes, as well as the... uh.. "fixatives"(?) used to make a perfume oil smell the way it's supposed to alongside the other notes makes a huge difference.

I don't know a lot about perfumery, but from what I saw in another thread that someone started about making their own perfumes, it seems there are a lot more to the mixing than just adding scent a with scent b to get a combination of ab (apparently some notes mixed with each other turn sour, or end up smelling weird, and other things need to be added if you want to get a specific scent with two uncooperative oils)

So, really, I don't think it might even be just that there is a chocolate note that works or doesn't, it could be what is added to make that note smell right with, let's say, a cream note, and if it's a combination of chocolate and orange then that ingredient does not need to be put in.

I have very few death notes that are always death notes if present in a scent as more than a "hint" - most of my iffy notes highly depend on what other combination is with them (This is also true of notes of awesomeness, alas.)

So, yeah.. not very helpful, I know..

So, really, I don't think it might even be just that there is a chocolate note that works or doesn't, it could be what is added to make that note smell right with, let's say, a cream note, and if it's a combination of chocolate and orange then that ingredient does not need to be put in.

And then there's the way the natura scent of your skin interacts with the notes, which can magnify elements throwing blend out of balance or create an accidental accord.

To me, there are two distinct chocolate notes that the Lab uses (to me, I want to stress this): one that is heavenly, dark and rich - and one that is waxy and smells like a scratch-n-sniff postcard.

Yep, I get the same thing. As far as I can tell, chocolate notes go scratch-n-sniff stickers on me (with the exception of WILF, in which the chocolate is nearly unnoticeable to my nose), but cocoa and cacao are great.

As others have said, it's probably just a skin chemistry issue.

Hi, everyone -

I normally lean towards florals, but I'm really in the mood for something different. I think I'd like to try a few imps of something with some chocolate in it. Not flat out FOODIE, but chocolate. Any recommendations? I've done forum searches, so I think I'll grab an imp of Velvet, but if I want to do the basic set of six (if there are that many recommendations), what other five do you think I should chase down?

Thanks very much!

Vice for sure...

Here's the review thread...http://www.bpal.org/topic/7-vice/page__p__7__hl__vice__fromsearch__1#entry7

Check this thread!

http://www.bpal.org/topic/8131-chocolate-and-cocoa-in-every-combination-possible/page__st__225

How about these 6:

1) How Doth The Little Crocodile

2) Vice

3) Velvet

4) intrigue

5) Tezcatlipoca

6) Centzon Totochtin

Bliss is purely milk chocolate and quite foody, while these a have some other stuff going on. The Crocodile is my favorite! Mint chocolate and cedar.

Aww, you guys are awesome, thanks! This is a good head start - I'm going to go check out the threads on those now. Smooches! :wub2:

Editing already! So here's what I'm going for - I just decided to go full on chocolate in this next imp order, but I've only got five...

Intrigue

Gluttony

Bliss

Vice

Velvet

Now that's five, but I'm short one if I want to do a six imp set. I want to stay away from LE (I hate falling in love with something, only to have it gone in a short while), and I want to stay away from anything that can't be imped. Any thoughts for a sixth? If there's nothing really out there that fall into my parameters, I'll just go for an imp of Alice to keep in my makeup bag.

Thanks again!

Edited by LisaF1163

I am a foody lover, and love chocolate scents, but for some sad reason, the GC chocolate notes don't work for me, so I guess that is why I always go for the LE's. Boomslang is my favorite dark choco scent that isn't too foody. It is the perfect blend of dk choco and snake oil, but can be hard to find. A lot of the Lupers have choco notes, so maybe check the review threads on those? Good luck in your search!!! :)

Aww, you guys are awesome, thanks! This is a good head start - I'm going to go check out the threads on those now. Smooches! :wub2:

Editing already! So here's what I'm going for - I just decided to go full on chocolate in this next imp order, but I've only got five...

Intrigue

Gluttony

Bliss

Vice

Velvet

Now that's five, but I'm short one if I want to do a six imp set. I want to stay away from LE (I hate falling in love with something, only to have it gone in a short while), and I want to stay away from anything that can't be imped. Any thoughts for a sixth? If there's nothing really out there that fall into my parameters, I'll just go for an imp of Alice to keep in my makeup bag.

Thanks again!

How Doth the Little Crocodile was mentioned previously, and I also think it's a good candidate. The cedar and oakmoss make it not entirely foody, but it's definitely chocolatey and interesting. I wish it worked for me, but I amp cedar, so it doesn't. :(

I am a foody lover, and love chocolate scents, but for some sad reason, the GC chocolate notes don't work for me, so I guess that is why I always go for the LE's. Boomslang is my favorite dark choco scent that isn't too foody. It is the perfect blend of dk choco and snake oil, but can be hard to find. A lot of the Lupers have choco notes, so maybe check the review threads on those? Good luck in your search!!! :)

Awww, but it's a LE - thanks for the suggestion, though - I appreciate it! I try not to do LE; they break my heart every time! I hate running out of something I love, and then not being able to get it anymore (That goes for makeup too, not just BPAL).

Let me tell you about my BPAL LE heartbreak - summer of 2009, there was the Summer Garden Series, and since it couldn't be imped, I took a gamble on a whole bottle of Pink Plastic Flamingo. To say that I fell head over heels in love would be putting it mildly - it was probably one of the most gorgeous and unique scents I've ever experienced. And although I have a boyfriend that I adore, I got more attention from every single guy in my office that summer! All I heard all summer long was "God, you smell amazing!", which never happens for me. And then, boom - all gone. Limited Edition. No more Pink Plastic Flamingo for me.

So yeah, I guess you could say that my whole reason for steering clear of LEs all started with Pink Plastic Flamingo! (It broke my heart, Fredo - it broke my heart!) :cry2:

Edited by LisaF1163

How Doth the Little Crocodile was mentioned previously, and I also think it's a good candidate. The cedar and oakmoss make it not entirely foody, but it's definitely chocolatey and interesting. I wish it worked for me, but I amp cedar, so it doesn't. :(

You know, I was going to steer clear of that because I didn't want to go full on candy with the chocolate and the peppermint, but I think I'll do that as imp #6 - it's something different, which I want, and it's got the chocolate, which I also want, so it can't hurt to try it. Okay, so that's the one then - I have my six!

Thank you again, everyone - I'll let you know what happens with them! :D

Edited by LisaF1163

LisaF1163 - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Gluttony is actually discontinued so you won't be able to order that one :(

If you decide to break your 'no LE' rule, I would definitely second GypssyRoseRed's recommendation of Gelt - it's a beautiful dusky chocolate+amber blend, really lovely. If you don't want to buy a bottle straight out (it's a Yule Limited Edition, available now) then I'm sure you could hunt down a decant in the For Sale area here on the forum :smile:

And since you mentioned florals - The Last Unicorn might be worth a try: Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss. Not available in imp form from the Lab, but check the sales section :thumbsup:

Awww, but it's a LE - thanks for the suggestion, though - I appreciate it! I try not to do LE; they break my heart every time! I hate running out of something I love, and then not being able to get it anymore (That goes for makeup too, not just BPAL).

Let me tell you about my BPAL LE heartbreak - summer of 2009, there was the Summer Garden Series, and since it couldn't be imped, I took a gamble on a whole bottle of Pink Plastic Flamingo. To say that I fell head over heels in love would be putting it mildly - it was probably one of the most gorgeous and unique scents I've ever experienced. And although I have a boyfriend that I adore, I got more attention from every single guy in my office that summer! All I heard all summer long was "God, you smell amazing!", which never happens for me. And then, boom - all gone. Limited Edition. No more Pink Plastic Flamingo for me.

So yeah, I guess you could say that my whole reason for steering clear of LEs all started with Pink Plastic Flamingo! (It broke my heart, Fredo - it broke my heart!) :cry2:

Yes, I fully understand!! But it's hard to stay away from them!! ;) But even GC ones can be discontinued in a heartbeat! ;)

LisaF1163 - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Gluttony is actually discontinued so you won't be able to order that one :(

Ohhh, no! :( Thank you for the heads up, though - now I just need to find a substitute.

And I do appreciate all the LE recommendations, but I just don't have the heart. I know a regular scent could always be discontinued too (I'm still mourning Black Opal), but at least with those, I have a shot at hanging onto it. I mean, they'd never discontinue Alice (my go to fragrance when the chips are down), would they??? :eek: It's just that I know with an LE, if I fall in love, it's gone all too soon.

All righty then - I just saw a vanilla thread bumped to the top, so I think imp #6 may just be the odd man out, even though that would match up with chocolate - something vanilla might be nice to layer it with, so I'm off to check that out! Maybe something sweet, like "Eat Me".

Thank you again, ladies! I know I can always count on great advice here! :wub:

Edited by LisaF1163

If you like florals, maybe Love Lies Bleeding (no notes listed, but there is a chocolatey aspect - it's been described as "Valentine's Day in a vial" or something similar) or Kali (a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey) if you like complex scents.

I've tried How Doth The Little Crocodile, and while the chocolate peppermint is noticeable, the other notes are strong enough that I didn't wind up smelling like a box of Junior Mints.

Ohhh, no! :( Thank you for the heads up, though - now I just need to find a substitute.

And I do appreciate all the LE recommendations, but I just don't have the heart. I know a regular scent could always be discontinued too (I'm still mourning Black Opal), but at least with those, I have a shot at hanging onto it. I mean, they'd never discontinue Alice (my go to fragrance when the chips are down), would they??? :eek: It's just that I know with an LE, if I fall in love, it's gone all too soon.

All righty then - I just saw a vanilla thread bumped to the top, so I think imp #6 may just be the odd man out, even though that would match up with chocolate - something vanilla might be nice to layer it with, so I'm off to check that out! Maybe something sweet, like "Eat Me".

Thank you again, ladies! I know I can always count on great advice here! :wub:

Eat me is a FANTASTIC choice. It seems to be universally adored and you see it on a lot of wish lists of people who have huge collections.

I just adore it, its one of my 'go to' scents that plays nicely on my skin or in a locket, you have great taste!

Anx, personally, I don't think it's too foodie, although I do love foodie scents so I may be biased...

;)

If you like florals, maybe Love Lies Bleeding (no notes listed, but there is a chocolatey aspect - it's been described as "Valentine's Day in a vial" or something similar) or Kali (a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey) if you like complex scents.

Thanks! I am more of a floral gal, and Kali is on my wish list for my next round of floral imps, but I may throw Love Lies Bleeding in there too - it sounds like something I'd like!

I've tried How Doth The Little Crocodile, and while the chocolate peppermint is noticeable, the other notes are strong enough that I didn't wind up smelling like a box of Junior Mints.

Thanks! Good to know - I placed my imp order last night, like the absolute second I got home!

Eat me is a FANTASTIC choice. It seems to be universally adored and you see it on a lot of wish lists of people who have huge collections.

I just adore it, its one of my 'go to' scents that plays nicely on my skin or in a locket, you have great taste!

Anx, personally, I don't think it's too foodie, although I do love foodie scents so I may be biased...

;)

Ahh, wonderful! Now that is a glowing recommendation, so I feel good about it! It's funny, I'm just not a foodie person with scents, but I wanted something different, so this round of imps is really going out on a limb for me. But then again - look at two of the BPALs I've talked about falling in love with - "Pink Plastic Flamingo", which was very sugary marshmallowy, and "Alice", which is totally my BPAL go-to, and has milk and honey in it. So clearly, I probably do have more of a foodie side than I realized, but just not a very strong one - but it's obviously there, so I may as well run with it and see where it takes me.

Edited by LisaF1163