Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

My favorite chocolate scents are Intrigue, Tezcatlipoca, and Boomslang, and all of those are available right now.

Intrigue is black palm, cocoa, fig, and shadowy wooded notes.

Tezcatlipoca is cocoa, patchouli, leather, incense, and flowers.

And Boomslang is cocoa, Snake Oil, teakwood, and rice milk.

They're rather complex and on the dark, resinous side of things.

Centzon Totochtin is also interesting, if you like wine notes (it's a mix of Mexican cocoa, rum, red wine, and blood).

And if you want a chocolate amber, you could always get Bliss (pure milk chocolate scent) and layer it with something like The Lion. :smilenod:

yep, saw the name of this thread and thought: "gelt?"

my other favorite chocolate scents are midnight kiss, boomslang & feast for the greatly revered ones.

Favorite cocoa scents everyone? Specifically NOT chocolate BUT cocoa!

I know, weird right? The chocolate note goes rather nutty on me and warm so I've noticed, but I absolutely adore cocoa. I've only tried Wulric though (which was a HUGE success! Chocolate-y cocoa deepened slightly by vetiver with a touch of lavender. Mmmmm :wub2: )

So lets see them! Favorite/best cocoa blends!

I know, weird right? The chocolate note goes rather nutty on me and warm so I've noticed, but I absolutely adore cocoa. I've only tried Wulric though (which was a HUGE success! Chocolate-y cocoa deepened slightly by vetiver with a touch of lavender. Mmmmm :wub2: )

The only cocoa blend I've tried is Black Temple Burlesque Troupe and it's absolutely wonderful. I tend to think "brownies/brownie mix" before "chocolate bar" with this one. On me, it's mainly a musky cocoa with a very faint touch of tobacco. Very grown-up and not entirely foody.

Edited to add: This was a Yule 2009 release but you might be able to find it on the sales boards.

Edited by Kejiaron

The only cocoa blend I've tried is Black Temple Burlesque Troupe and it's absolutely wonderful. I tend to think "brownies/brownie mix" before "chocolate bar" with this one. On me, it's mainly a musky cocoa with a very faint touch of tobacco. Very grown-up and not entirely foody.

Edited to add: This was a Yule 2009 release but you might be able to find it on the sales boards.

Drat! I new I should have picked that up! I'll keep a close eye for it now!

Drat! I new I should have picked that up! I'll keep a close eye for it now!

You might want to try Boomslang (part of the Snake Pit line of Carnival Diabloque); I saw a lot of reviews comparing it to Black Temple Burlesque Troupe. I haven't tried so I cannot testify as to how cocoa-ish it is but it might be worth a shot. Plus, the reviews imply that you don't need to wait for the Snake Oil portion to age; it's currently on my "Maybe order" list. =)

I just got Sue's Great Old Puppet show, and it is lovely. My skin has been terrible lately with turning scents powdery, or just eating them, but Sue's Great Old Puppet show smells fantastic on me and has some staying power. I'm actually wearing it today, I'm snowed in and it's the perfect scent for that. It smells like your favorite mug of hot cocoa with marshmallows in it, that you're drinking while curled up in a warm blanket. It's a very warm, comforting cocoa smell.

The new GC bath oil, Hedonism, looks to be a winner: Cocoa absolute, sugar cane, honey, black currant, vanilla, and caramel. That this is GC is just wonderful! :wub2:

I'm looking for an un-chocolate-y chocolate/cocoa, if there ever was such a thing?

I've always thought that chocolate/cocoa is not for me. All the chocolate/cocoa blends that I've tried, the chocolate part always turned somewhat dusty and muffled on my skin, and often overwhelmed by other spices in the blend. They also have the tendency to smell more like Hershey's Kisses rather than Godiva's 83% on me.

With that said, I do have a bottle of Dark Chocolate, Cognac, and Whiskey Truffle. Recently I got a sniffie of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, and now I'm looking for a bottle of that too. It seems that the common theme between the two is that the chocolate/cocoa is overpowered and beaten into submission: by cognac and whiskey in DCCWT, and by black musk and tobacco in BTPT.

Is there another scent along the same vein? What do you think about Cthulhu in Love?

I'm looking for an un-chocolate-y chocolate/cocoa, if there ever was such a thing?

I've always thought that chocolate/cocoa is not for me. All the chocolate/cocoa blends that I've tried, the chocolate part always turned somewhat dusty and muffled on my skin, and often overwhelmed by other spices in the blend. They also have the tendency to smell more like Hershey's Kisses rather than Godiva's 83% on me.

With that said, I do have a bottle of Dark Chocolate, Cognac, and Whiskey Truffle. Recently I got a sniffie of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, and now I'm looking for a bottle of that too. It seems that the common theme between the two is that the chocolate/cocoa is overpowered and beaten into submission: by cognac and whiskey in DCCWT, and by black musk and tobacco in BTPT.

Is there another scent along the same vein? What do you think about Cthulhu in Love?

Boomslang from the Carnaval Diabolique:
Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

If you like Snake Oil, this is the perfect chocolate scent. It's not overly foody-sweet, it dries down to a delicious dark chocolate cocoa over vanilla.

Boomslang from the Carnaval Diabolique:

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

If you like Snake Oil, this is the perfect chocolate scent. It's not overly foody-sweet, it dries down to a delicious dark chocolate cocoa over vanilla.

Hmm, I'm not sure, since Snake Oil has a lot of spices + incense, and that in combination with chocolate usually makes the chocolate more prominent on my skin. I want something that's not traditionally paired with chocolate, like dirt + chocolate, mosses + chocolate, salt water + chocolate, etc.

But thanks for the recommendation anyways. Boomslang is on wishlist.

Edited by QueenSneak

hello! these are my quick drive-by recs:

the malignant dreams of cthulhu in love

gelt

how doth the little crocodile

good luck!!

El Dia de Reyes is one of my favorites (it smells just like mexican hot cocoa with lots of cinnamon and some coffee) it's a LE Yule but there are a few for sale on the sales forum.

Velvet is another one I LOVE and it is a GC (chocolate sandalwood and myrrh).So yummy.

I also love dark Chocolate Pepper Smoked Caramel but it is a bit less chocolate and more smokey savoury foodie.

good luck, bpal makes really good chocolate scents! :yum:

edited because I forgot to add Boomslang! hoard worthy.

Edited by MinxMarzipan

3 favorites here:

Bliss

White Chocolate Martini

How Doth the Little Crocodile

Definitely Bliss if you like milk chocolate. It's very rich, sweet and chocolatey. Simple, too, so you can wear it alone or layer it with another scent for some variation.

The Box of Chocolates and Sugared She-Goat limited editions are great, too. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but my personal favorites are Dark Chocolate, Whiskey and Cognac Truffle and White Chocolate, Black Raspberry and Apricot Cordial Truffle.

Calaveras is good, too if you like something a little more complex. It has a really nice dried chili note to it that makes it stand out from most other chocolate scents. :yum:

While chocolate isn't a note that performs particularly well on my skin, on my fiancee chocolate is DELECTABLE so I've amassed a bit of a collection of chocolate blends! My favorites are:

Dark Chocolate and Pepper Smoked Caramel - It's a darker, more bittersweet chocolate note, and paired with the pepper and just the barest hint of smoke, it works very well on both chicks and dudes. IMO it's possibly the sexiest chocolate blend in the collection.

Feast of the Greatly Revered Ones - my second favorite chocolate blend on me. I love the agave note - it adds a crisp sweetness to the mix, and again, the chocolate is the deliciously dark variety.

Gelt '08 - NOT to be confused with the more recent Gelt '10, which turned to utter foulness on my skin, Gelt '08 is my all-time favorite chocolate blend. It's the most perfect dry bittersweet chocolate.

Some others worth mentioning are: Candy Butcher (heavy cream and chocolate - OMNOM), White Chocolate, Marshmallow and Chocolate (light, airy chocolate blend with coconut!), Milk Chocolate and Buttercream (another creamy chocolate blend, but much lighter than Candy Butcher), and Milk Chocolate and Matcha Green Tea Truffle (airy, citrusy and light enough for springtime).

Some of my favorites: (Seconding lots of other opinions, really!)

El Dia de Los Reyes: one of my favorites, spicy chocolate yum. Just warm and delicious and smells like you would want to eat it.

Bliss: simply milk chocolate, as others have said, you can layer it easily.

Boomslang: yum. Very chocolatey Snake Oil, gets more chocolatey the more aged it is.

How Doth the Little Crocodile: Chocolate Peppermint, with a little bit of wood in the background.

Vice: on me, orange blossom and chocolate. Light and very much a comfort scent for me.

ETA: I can't forget Wulric the Wolfman! Chocolate Lavender, and just gorgeous.

Edited by ltrittipoe

I really dig Tezcatlipoca and if you can find it, Ghoul Hooligan (one of my FAVES EVER). Ein Kuss Von Krampus is a nice sweetly spiced scent on me and Velvet is awesome too.

Is there a chocolate and red musk scent I am missing out on? Those are two of myf ave BPAL notes.