Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread for my own selfish purposes. :P

My boyfriend really loves the initial dark cocoa scent in Boomslang, but that disappears too quickly and the subsequent sweet-spicy Snake Oil drydown is a little too girly for him. I'm looking to find an intensely chocolate scent that is suitably manly for his delicate masculine sensibilities. The obvious choice seems like it would be Wulric the Wolfman (cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus), but I'm concerned about the vetiver, which turns up smelling like burned peanuts in every blend I've ever tried with it. I'm going to be on the lookout for a decant on the sales forum, but are there any other dude-appropriate chocolate/cocoa blends I should try on him? GC would be spectacular, but LE is fine too. We've already tried Tezcatlipoca (too much patchouli after it dries) and Centzon Totochtin (cedar shavings and cheap chocolate).

Thanks for any help!

Perhaps Thirteen April 2007/Purple Label: A base of cocoa absolute and white chocolate with thirteen baneful and beneficial bits: cardamom, fig meat, grains of paradise, rice flower, chamomile, sandalwood, catnip, clove, and a bundle of five blessed blossoms and herbs. On me, it's herbal (catnip) dark chocolate, very rich and almost musty—a deep organic scent. I think the herbs would be great on a man, and while it's not the same melted dark chocolate of Boomslang's spectacular cocoa absolute, it's still a strong, quite dark chocolate. I love cocoa/chocolate of all stripes, but that Thirteen is a personal favorite.

So many of the chocolate and cocoa blends are decidedly foodie-yummy to the point a guy might run away, but I wonder about that April 2007 version of Thirteen. Not to send you on a crazy goose chase through the swaps forums if you don't have it on hand, but it was very different than its cousins to me - deeper, more herbal and less sweet.

Heh. Jinx!

I've had good luck using Boomslang to scent my laundry, where it keeps its rich cocoa for much, much longer (the chocolate disappears immediately on my skin, too)—he may want to try using it on clothing or in a scent-locket equivalent. The oil does stain (one might even say: enthusiastically), but perhaps a dot of it on a piece of scrap fabric or a clothes tag or anything resembling a scent locket may work.

ETA: Intrigue may be hit or miss. It is a darker cocoa, but I also find it distinctly feminine in a dark, mysterious, almost femme fatale sort of way; also, the cocoa is a supporting figure to the predominant fig. But your/his mileage may vary, and it is an incredible blend.

Edited by Juushika

Normally I am the queen of impable recs, but I really have to push Midnight Kiss (red musk, cocoa absolute, Nepalese amber, red sandalwood, aged patchouli, nicotiana, and blood wine). It walks the fine line between masculine/feminine/foody/woody and the blood wine might help to tone down the patchouli. It's a really great scent and it's still available from the lab (I think. Someone else may have to direct you to the link). Otherwise it wasn't exactly a huge hit with a lot of purchasers and it's fairly common on the swaps page.

Velvet might work for him depending on what his skin amps. On me it has the bitter edge of a chocolate-dipped espresso bean and if he amps the sandalwood it could easily smell masculine on his chemistry.

I had some luck with the most recent 13 (June 2008). It's not as strongly chocolate as Boomslang, but it's reasonably androgynous.

Thanks for all the recs, guys! I'll definitely be putting in an imp order and keeping an eye out on the swaps forums for some of these. Midnight Kiss in particular sounds promising, it has some other notes my boyfriend likes in it.

I love Wulric & I love vetiver , but without reading the list of notes in Wulric I never would have thought vetiver was even in it . Honestly , maybe because it's " bourbon vetiver " ? It just seems very mellow , not the typical vetiver I've gotten used to at all . It's much more cocoa / leather with just a hint of floral behind it to me . But of course , your mileage may vary .

Velvet is comfortable, beautiful sexya very flattering, likable, sandalwood-and-dry cocoa scent.

Intrigue is powerful, mysterious, femme fatale sexysweet ripe fig shadowed by wood and cocoa.

Boomslang is melted chocolate and Snake Oil, rich, indulgent, slightly exotic sexuality.

Velvet is comfortable, beautiful sexy—a very flattering, likable, sandalwood-and-dry cocoa scent.

Intrigue is powerful, mysterious, femme fatale sexy—sweet ripe fig shadowed by wood and cocoa.

Boomslang is melted chocolate and Snake Oil, rich, indulgent, slightly exotic sexuality.

I second boomslang, mostly because velvet goes a little weird on me.

I'm going to put Bliss, Gluttony and Candy Butcher on my wishlist and see if I get to them sometime. I am staying away from Limited Editions, so none of the Dias for me :-)

Thanks for the advice everybody :P

Replying to myself half a year later... have tried all three now

Bliss is the best chocolate scent, in the sense that it's true milk chocolate. I like it, but it's a bit candy-ish and childish

Candy Butcher wasn't chocolate on me at all, though it smelled gorgeous in the imp. Just morphed to faint-sweet on my skin. Bummer. Though a bit of a relief too since it's been discontinued since.

Gluttony is not chocolate on me, but a gorgeous yummy foody smell. This is one of my favourites of all BPAL. Wonderfully comforting I-smell-nommable scent.

There is a chocolate shop downtown that handmakes all the store's product. Gluttony smells like that store to me.

I'm anxiously awaiting reviews of the Box of Chocolates and hoping that someone who tries them all, will post some opinions about my questions:

If you could only order one of them which one would it be?

and

Will you rate them from your favorite to your least favorite? (of course, commentary about WHY is welcome!!)

Are there any BPALs that combine sexy chocolate and musk?

Preferably a lighter musk (Egyptian, white, golden or blue) not a heavier incense / civety musk like black or red. Can't waer red musk at all and Snake Oil on me smells like a rubber bag full of Dr Pepper.

Fank yew for any help! :)

after some creative searching: Wulric, Tell Tale Heart, Freakshow, 13 (march 2009), maybe Champagne, Chocolate, and Cheap Sex

It's a very yummy chocolate note for me, although musks don't love me or I them, so I can't help there. But BPAL's cocoa and chocolate notes have always smelled lovely on me. My husband thinks that White Chocolate and Strawberries smells just like warm fondue and fresh strawberries.

Looking for delicious chocolate mint scents (that preferably are not LE!). Any combination of chocolate and mint would be great, but I AM looking for one on the creamier side :)

Looking for delicious chocolate mint scents (that preferably are not LE!). Any combination of chocolate and mint would be great, but I AM looking for one on the creamier side :)

I think that the only chocolate mint scents in the GC right now are Schrodinger's Cat and How Doth the Little Crocodile. The Cat is more citrussy and I know a lot of people don't get the chocolate peppermint from it at all.

Little Crocodile definitely is more chocolate & mint and on the foodie/creamy side of things.

I am looking for a chocolate amber scent, similar to Cocoa Pink's Black Chocolate. TIA.

I'm not familiar with the CP blend you mentioned, but for chocolate + amber in BPAL it has to be Gelt - "A bounty of chocolate coins! Dry cocoa and golden amber!".

Unfortunately it's no longer available - it was a Yule release in 2008, but you might be able to find some here on the forum in the 'For Sale' area. Reviews are here.

I saw this thread and thought, did someone rename the Gelt review thread? :lol: But yes, joining the crowd, Gelt is probably what you're looking for.

Any of the 13's are a complex chocolate/cocoa scent, that would be a great place to start your search. Then of course, there are the Chocolate Box scents from this year and last year's Valentines.

I'm personally enjoying How Doth the Little Crocodile right now =)