Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vanilla-laced leather with 3-year aged patchouli and a warm sack ohazelnuts.

...I've never started a topic before, I hope this is correct?
Goblin Sack was available as a prototype at C2E2. It's to be released with the goblin statues. It's a wonderfully foody blend. When I asked Beth what the notes were, she said patchouli, vanilla, and hazelnuts. Because you gotta have nuts in your sack. http://www.bpal.org/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/icon_biggrin.gif

Big thanks to Mellifluous for sending me some to try! :wub2:

Wet, I'm getting toasted hazelnuts and...cream? It smells deliciously warm and foody. I'm not getting much pronounced patchouli or leather yet, although I can smell them behind the thick cloud of nuts and cream. I wonder why this smells so much like cream to my nose if there is no cream note, perhaps from the vanilla or the combination of notes? :think: The creaminess here is clean and powdery at this stage and it reminds me of the scent Penis Admiration for some reason.

As it dries I start getting a little more smooth leather and a soft well-blended patchouli but they still feel distant to me. Strangely, at times I get whiffs of a nutty creamy chocolate smell. As it settles, it's still very creamy and nutty and I am now getting a little more patchouli, which combined with the hazelnuts I think this might be what's giving off the toasted chocolate-like scent to my nose. The creaminess here is now reminding me of the cream accord in Glowing Vulva, Love's Philosophy and Candy Butcher, it's a note I'm always seeking out and mentioning because it's my favorite bpal note. I love nutty scents and this has to be one of the best ones I've tried. The throw is fantastic too. :luv2:

I would really love a bottle of this. If I could get a Goblin Statue I would do it in a heartbeat!

Ctfrancesca did an excellent review. The cream and even a little teak-yness of Glowing Vulva is in here. There's something woody but I imagine it is the leather note doing something a little non-leathery. You can smell the leather in the bottle, but on it fades into the background and gives that teak-quality. There's a little of that pencil-shaving smell. The leather stops this scent from being a fully foody scent. Really, it is hard to pull out a hazelnut quality to this. Overall, it is creamy teak with leather straps =D

In the bottle: lovely vanilla and hazelnut scent, with the patchouli and leather to ground it out. It's interesting how they are all well blended together but still definable to my nose. The patchouli here is earthy, but not dirty or overwhelming.

Wet on skin: very warm, almost creamy, and somewhat foody on first whiff. It's almost chocolatey, that vanilla and hazelnut combo, and makes me think of Nutella though it's been a long time since I've had Nutella, so probably not. As it dries, the patchouli starts to come up and edges this scent towards the not-foody spectrum, giving this a kind of resinous quality instead of foody. I'm really liking this.

Dry: amazing, it's creamy and vanilla-ey and resinous and patchouli-ey and they all come together into an amazing sensual scent. This is right in the sexytimes category for me, along with Underpants, Glowing Vulva, and Blossoms in Springtime. Makes me wonder exactly what kind of goblin sack we are talking about here...ahem.

Verdict: I'm not entirely sure if this has a definable slot in my keeper list, since I already have a lot of sensual blends (as above) that don't really see a lot of showtime. But it makes me all grabby anyway. But I'm definitely keen to see how this ages and how it might differentiate itself from the rest when aged.

Hazelnuts, cream, and vanilla.....

AND HOLY SHIT, THIS SMELLS VERY SIMILAR TO SHEELA NA GIG!

I don't think Sheela had leather, but it did have creamy vanilla and hazelnuts. It's not as pearlescent as Sheela, but it shares alot of similarities.

This may end up too foodie for me, but it's lovely and tasty.

Wow, this reminds me of something right away, but I can't think of what. Sort of like a nuttier Haloes. Think of wezwanie hold and Haloes. Antikythera mechanism comes together to mind too, a more foodier feminine version. This is quite nice. Warm, but not really my style.

I first sniffed this at C2E2 and it reminded me of Reese's Peanut butter cups. The awesome Mellifluous frimped me a sniffie so I'm able to test it sans the nasal overload I experienced in Chicago.

At first this reminds me of an oily Nutella, but all nut fragrances read a little oily on my skin. (Chestnuts do this, too.) After a few minutes the creamy patch comes out and it reminds me a little of Banshee Beat without the hemp, but not quite as syrupy sweet. As some reviewers mentioned above, some kinds of patch come as pencil shavings to me too, but this one behaves nicely.

Total food scent! I'm gettin almost all hazelnut from this, wet and dry. Also whiffs of vanilla every now and then, and a tiny bit of leather. No patchouli though!, and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to try this! It's a beautiful scent;

It makes me want to go bake.

I skipped this scent because vanilla is often 'meh' (unless it's the bourbon variety, and then it's 'blech'), I dislike leather on my skin, and deathnote hazelnut smells like someone barfed into a full ashtray and dumped it on me.

I was gifted a sniffie tester of the Sack as part of A Mellifluous Circle of Fabulosity, so I figured I'd slap it on since, hey, you only live once. Also, I like three year aged patchouli as much as the next gal.

Sadly: :sick:

The vanilla leather ashtray barf just did not do it for me.

p.s. This sounds ungrateful, but I am glad I got to confirm my suspicions about this scent - believe it or not. So a big 'thank you, Mell!' :wub2:

Edited by OctoberGwen

Upon application: oh, YUM. yummyyummersNOM

This is amazing and 50 shades of awesome. It's nutty, creamy, vanilla patch, just as described, and boy is it glorious. :thud: Damn you Mellifluous for enabling me!

This is by far one of the nastiest rares I have ever encountered. This smells like sour milk mashed with rotting walnuts. From wet to dry. GAH! MUST SCRUB OFF!!!! :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:

Edited by Dark Alice

Got a teeny sniffie of this from a lovely forumite and HOLY COW. I have been huffing myself all day :) Without reading the notes, I would've sworn this was mostly bay rum, because that's the one note that, while I love it on myself, always makes me think "this would be AMAZING on a dude." Not a bit surprised to hear there's leather, patchouli, and some foody notes in there as well -- it was oddly foody wet but less so now that I've had it on for a few hours. The hazelnuts stay in the background for me -- mostly I get sweet patchouli and leather :) Just divine!

Reminiscent of Tricksy, Le Pere Fouettard the first for the foody/earthy balance, Feed Me and Fill me with Pleasure, and Badgers, this is a sweet leathery patch with a dash of nutty goodness. I was nervous that it would be like wezwanie-hold with the strong sweet hazelnut note, but the hazelnut is subtle yet present, much like the almond husk note in Haute Macabre. It has a moderate throw on me, and lasted about 10 hours before fading.

Long story short- If you have a bottle of this, you should not even test it. It will hate your skin. You should send it directly to me.

initially - dirty. not dirt. just dirty and a hint of sweet vanilla

the hazelnuts do come out after a few minutes, but they dont make it smell any better

so it's like a sack that's being drug around everywhere by filthy, dirty, goblins. something in the sack smells kinda nice if I take time to really let it settle an take a loooong sniff that gets to the notes inside the sack

Got a decant from a lovely forum member.

When I first put it on it's all patchouli all the time! I like this patchouli though it's in the yummy realm for me. I didn't get much hazelnut but some of the vanilla does come out in the dry down. I wish there was more vanilla and hazelnut but this is definitely patchouli heavy! I like it though. Decent throw and staying power too.

Soft, dry, woody, light brown smelling mix of patchouli and hazelnut. The hazelnut adds a warm, wooden, toasty, nutty goodness to the patchouli, but I don't get the vanilla and the hazelnut definitely isn't supersweet or reminiscent of nutella or anything like that. It's a soft, earthy, dry, wooden scent. A little darker from a hint of leather in the drydown. I'm kinda tempted to buy a bottle of this, because I do think that the statue is cute too, but $125 is a bit much for me at this point in my life, lol. I think I'll just be happy with my decant and my million other patch blends.

This smells really oily, and I immediately wonder if my little tester has gone off. I get no leather or vanilla. Hints of patch and hazelnut oil. It's quite unpleasant. But really unsure whether it's supposed to smell like this, or if it's a skin chem fail. Either way, not a fan at all. I guess I'm saved from having to buy a bottle!

It's funny to me just how wildly polarizing the reviews are of this! I got a bottle in a swap and I love it! 

I was a little worried this would be heavy on the leather note, but if there is any in here it is a weathered old leather. For me it is a sweet, rich hazelnut vanilla cream that is grounded by the patchouli. I LOVE it! It's not like any other BPAL patch I have tried in that it's quite smooth. Definitely there but reminds me more of a softer NAVA patchouli in that it's nearly floral. The scent itself reminds me a lot of NAVA Eternal Ankh Black but a much softer and nutty version. It's not really foody a tall though, if you are expecting something nutella-esque I don't think this goblin's sack is for you. xD