Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dedee

Mopsfledermaus

Brown sugar and ginger root with smoky clove, bourbon vanilla, cardamom, and Indonesian musk.

This was the bottle I was most excited about for the 2013 Bat's Day releases. It just sounded so delicious!!! Judging by how fast it sold everyone else had the same idea.

Out of the bottle:BROWN SUGAR!! Oh man that is delicious. My nose can pick up a little of ginger and musk, but not really much of anything else.

Wet:Yep, serious sugar rush with ginger, and now I can smell the musk and clove, its like a smokey sugar slather on my wrist and its making me hungry.

Drydown: Oh no, no, no,!!! The sugar is starting to smell burnt, and the musk is coming out but turning sour on my skin!!! Stupid skin chemistry!

Verdict: Ok, panic is over and I am so glad I was able to get a bottle!!!!! After literally being on my skin overnight the notes have finally blended into a very nice sweet and spicy musk. Phew!! So I think I can safely say the staying power is amazing!! I will be letting this settle and trying again in a few weeks.

On initial application, Mopsfledermaus is in your face clove, cardamom and ginger, which surprised me. I think I expected something softer and was a little worried, but after wearing it for 10 minutes or so, the most dominant notes really mellowed out and it dried down into a very warm, fuzzy brown scent. :wub2:

In The Bottle: The best campfire you've ever smelled. Oh, sure, I can tell you that in the bottle there's a strong front-note of brown sugar, that the ginger is strong and deep and mixing with the cardamom to remind me of every delectable Indian Grocery I've ever been fortunate enough to enter. That the clove is whispering of a beautiful and spooky Hallowmas and that the bourbon vanilla is holding it all together. but really? This is a bright and sweet fire like the ones that I've smelled at Rainbow Gatherings and other hippie-nature activities.

Wet On Skin: The cardamom is coming out front now and I couldn't be more delighted about it. Usually that's a note that just doesn't stick around on my skin, and it always makes me sad. But this is turning from campfire into delicious chai tea- I'm kinda hoping it'll stay this way...

Dry Down: Yup. Chai tea. Strong, spicy, sweet, creamy chai tea. I've wished long and hard for a BPAL chai scent, and methinks I've at last gotten what I wanted! :joy:

In All: Low to medium throw. Because of the notes, I'm betting that this will settle and smooth with a bit of aging, but it's certainly a very wearable concoction right now. My personal favorite of this year's crop o' Bats, Mopsfledermaus is that rare thing: a year-round perfume. Just lovely!

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Edited by VioletChaos

I tend to dislike sugary ginger scents, so this one was pretty much an inst-fail. But! If you like the sound of the notes, you will most likely like the perfume.

It starts quite heavy on the spices, definitely more of a spice-market scent than a craft-store, so bonus there. The ginger is quite strong though, and the brown sugar as well. Hours later, the musk is more present, and does help round out the scent, but the first hour or 2 is just so heavy on the sugary ginger, that its just too much for me.

JUST got my bottle from my awesome fairy!!! Here goes:

First sniff: Yep, sugary ginger and a hint of....wax? Kind of incense-y.

On Skin: VERY nice ginger scent...sweet but not sugary.

Drydown: I start to smell the vanilla/cardamom. I don't get any boozy note, which is good, since most booze notes don't work for me.

Think this is a keeper for me. Will have to live with it for a bit. :)

Got my bottle from my very kind fairy. This is simply one of the best sweet and spicy food scents I've found. The ginger+brown sugar+clove simply sing perfectly in harmony. The bourbon vanilla likes to be a bit loud at first, but it eventually finds its place in the choir. I don't get much musk, but its possible that it just needs time.

As far as longevity, I'm rather pleased with this one as food scents tend to get gobbled up by my skin. Instead, this one seems to stick around for more than a couple hours.

Definitely a winner in my book!

My rescue fairy was amazing and I can't say enough about how wonderful my package was taken care of and sniffies! :joy:

This one is the main one that I wanted (and she grabbed two bottles for me) and I think I'm finally starting to get it down, because this is just wonderful on me.

Strong ginger and sugar at first, which is yummy, but a bit Whoa! Spice!

About twenty minutes later I get this heavenly spice scent with a touch of sugar and no baked goods at all. Spicy and sweet, but not too much of either.

Clove, vanilla, ginger, and cardamom are all supporting each other and no one is dominating over the others. It isn't just spice though, and I think this is where the musk comes in, because there is this gentle softness that the spices settle into and the scent is nicely tempered.

It reminds me of the gorroble a bit, but not terribly much, just in the same scent family.

ETA- my dh just told me that it smells like nag champa incense. I can totally see that, in a spicy sort of way, even though that wasn't my scent association at all.

OMG, I :wub2: this. Wearing it for bedtime right now and yum. So nice. I'm going to wear it to work tomorrow too.

Edited by Caper

This really is exactly what it says. A brown, sugary gingery chai tea-ness but with a bit of kick. I do get a nice nag champa out of it but it settles down to more of what I expected. This is really beautiful!

My supremely kind fairy delivered two bottles of this for me, so of course I dived right in.

Wet, I get all the sugar and spices and something smoky. As it dries down, I definitely pick up that incense note that folks are mentioning. As Great Vampire Bat was the winner for me last year, and I adore that incense note, this is a good thing. This is like a spicy, non-floral version of that.

After a couple of hours, I get pure Indonesian musk, which is a lovely brown non-sweet, non-powdery musk. I don't pick up the incense or spices anymore.

I'd like to see if this gets more blended with age so that it doesn't move as much in phases as much as present all those phases a little more mingled. If it doesn't, I might not need that backup bottle, but if it does, I'll be really happy to have it.

Spicy! Also apparently indonesian musk = red musk. It overpowers the other notes when the blend is wet but when it's dry I get cinnamon, ginger, clove and musk. It's a straightforward blend with lots of throw.

I dislike red musk with a passion so I'm glad I got a decant.

I was lucky enough to find a kind hearted fairy for All The Things and when I opened my package of goodies to sniff All The Things this one stood out right away as a love. I put it on immediately and wore it on a night out on the town. It is spicy and sweet and the first ginger scent I was able to wear. From beginning to end I keep huffing and puffing it. Spicy sweet scents are my favorites tho usually the sweetness comes from resins or flowers so this is also a newish scent profile for me. AND it isn't really foodie to my nose. I am in the process of acquiring moar for my wearing pleasure cus I can tell it is destined to be not only a fave from this event but a all around favorite.

Much :wub2: to my fairy and those willing to part with unloved moppy bats.

so. very. good.

I love this one, it's sticky and darkly sweet, in the same family for me as Tiresias and The Gorroble.

Mops didn't sound good to me when I read the note list (sounded too sweet and I don't have great luck with bpal's spicy blends), but I actually like this scent. It does have a thick sweetness to it from the brown sugar and vanilla, but it's mostly a dark & sexy spice fragrance to my nose. It reminds me a little bit of Priala (the original, non-vetiver-heavy version, anyhow) and the drydown reminds me of Nocturne Alchemy's Ozymandius X. I don't know why, but it's like a warm, smoldering, dark myrrh with sun warmed, dusty, woody amber and lots of exotic, sweet spiciness. It smells complex, like it has lots of warm layers to it. I was worried that it would be a sickly sugar & spice scent, but it's definitely more interesting than that.

I don't think that I'll wear this much over the summer, as it's so heavy and warm, but I'm going to love my bottle once fall rolls around ^_^

Thanks to my lovely fairy for allowing me to own this! :wub2:

I initially pounced on this one simply because of the bourbon vanilla and musk, and then I started having buyer's remorse before it even got here because I was afraid it would be too foody. Luckily, there was no reason to worry! This is definitely sugary and spicy, but it's got more of a sexy feel to it than a foody feel. When first applied, it smelled a lot like my mom's ginger snap cookies, but then the musk comes out and turns into this warm, slinky, sexy scent. I think this one will age amazingly too!

Oh Mops, you're an odd bat for me. On wet, you smell like a spicy husky cardamom musk. And then as you dry, you sweeten up a bit, the ginger makes an appearance, and you smell... well, better, but not quite what I was expecting.

DAMN YOU CARDAMOM.

Dark, husky, musky.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is indeed a dark one! At first, I'm getting spicy cardamon, whch smells quite a bit like cinnamon to me. It's warm and inviting, kind of like an evil cookie. After a bit, the clove makes an appearance, and it's more resinous. I really like it at this stage, it's dark, slightly spicy (I'm getting mostly clove now), musky and just a teeny bit masculine. After a bit, the cardamon amps, as spices normally do on me. This is OK, but I like the resiny musky middle phase. This would be better suited for fall I think.

My wonderful fairy got me four of the Bat's Day bottles, all of which I was certain would be perfect for me, and none were. This was one of the closest, but there's something underneath it that's not working with my absurd menopausal chemistry. It's metallic, almost, but not a good metallic. So sad that I'm going to have to rehome them.

:cry2:

This is such an incredible scent. I was lucky enough to have someone offer me a bottle in response to a totally different DISO, and it was so worth it. Dark ginger and spice and sugar... not the sort of scent I normally wear, but I can guess it will be wonderful for when I want foody comfort on colder days. "Evil Cookie" indeed. :lol:

this is a very fall-like scent, spicy and warm, it's slightly foody too, i'd say. i'm not much into fall scents, but this is nice. i like the clove and spiciness of it, but it's too foody for my personal tastes, probably because of the brown sugar and cardamom which adds a sweetness to the spiciness. also, i have tried other similar bpals to this one, but maybe without the vanilla. i could see wearing this occasionally in the fall/winter, but it probably wouldn't get that much wear out of me.

This is definitely an autumn scent.

The spices (especially the cardamom) and musk are really strong in the bottle.

Wet: The spices dominate, especially the cardamom, and I'm reminded of Indian food.

Dry: The spices have settled down a bit, and the scent is reminiscent of Masala Chai tea.

I thought I would love this, but it didn't end up being my cup of tea.

Oh. My. God.

Why in the hell didn't I try these sooner?

I am completely in love with this. Totally smitten.

On me, this smells like the most beautiful smoked teak. But so much prettier in a darkly aggressive kind of way.

In the imp: the smoke hits my nose strong. With maybe a hint of sasparilla underneath.

On the skin: the spices warm up and expand. The creamy vanilla keeps things from overheating, but definitely lingers in the background rather than taking over as vanilla sometimes does.

The ginger is of the dry, rooty, and seriously hot variety. The brown sugar can be disastrous on my, but this adds a delicious smoky molasses note. The clove is dry, not at all sweet or baked goods-y, almost medicinal in a good way.

Somehow, with all these food ingredients, this is NOT foody, really. It doesn't smell like something that I would want to eat alone. It's more the scent of a magical spice cabinet.

A dead sexy spice cabinet that will make you weep with longing.

Must have MOAR

Definitely ginger and clove in this one. :yum:

It is so spicy that it immediately makes me think of gingerbread. A slightly woody/smoky gingerbread? This is the perfect autumn/winter scent. All spicy goodness! I think this one is going to stick around in my collection for awhile.

I was lucky enough to get a tester and then I managed to find a bottle, because holy hell this is GOOD. On both the husband and me.

Opening the bottle is like releasing an exotic, incredibly fragrant genie. Smoky, spicy, everything good and right in the world. GingergingergingerCLOVE on my wrist. So spicy and so good. I get a slight chai vibe but it's not CHAI. The brown sugar is more smoky than sticky sweet and underneath is the bloom of vanilla. Smoky, spicy, amazing.

In bottle: Every bit as wonderful as I’d hoped. The Brown sugar is marginally strongest, with ginger a close second. The musk is pervasive and vaguely patchouli like. The vanilla and cardamom smooth the edges, while the clove is a well chosen accent. Wet: Complex and spicy on the skin. Still brown sugar dominant, now with the spices working together in second. The musk is still well blended and ubiquitous. The vanilla is a gentle background. Dry: Brown sugar and ginger.

In the bottle - Sweet ginger musk.

Wet - The spiciness jumps out at me. This is now GINGER. Also some heavy-hitting clove to back it up.

Drydown - I know what this is. It’s ginger beer. Effervescent, not-quite-sweet, and VERY ginger-clove. Go drink a bottle of Reed’s Ginger Beer if you want to know what this smells like. It’s STRONG. Not strong in sillage, but that’s OK.

Verdict - I was really excited for this one since brown sugar blends are always champions of my skin chemistry. Unfortunately, the sugar and vanilla didn’t make much of an appearance on me. If anything, it was more like molasses. If you’re looking for a more delicious and reserved ginger, allow me to point you toward Brahmin or Gingerbread Poppet.