Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RunnerInPink

Mother, Mother Ocean

Wasn't sure if I needed a new thread; I thought this one was close, but I'm sorry if it seems like I'm butting in here...

So, I had hoped that the Ambergris SN would be a bottle of the salty marine note from Lyonesse that I love, but it was mostly a lemony powder on me.

Can anyone recommend a really perfumey marine blend that might better match what I was imagining? I'm not looking for the beach with coconuts and suntan lotion, just the salty ocean and air. It doesn't have to smell exactly like the ocean either; I'm really just craving that perfumey saltiness, perhaps with something airy or aquatic to freshen it up. I hope that makes a little bit of sense to someone. :lol:

The Arkham series seems like it might be a good place to start: Cthulhu, The Deep Ones, R'lyeh, and Y'ha-Nthlei have all been mentioned already. Anything I should definitely pursue, among these or others?

Thanks. :)

I'm waiting on imps of Cthulhu and R'lyeh right now. They should be here by Friday. I'll try and remember to let you know my thoughts. :)

Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina. Also just so you have an excuse to say it periodically LOL. Very beachy to me, coconut and ambergris, with some skin musk and orange blossom.

Board hiccup. :blush:

Or it wanted to say Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina twice.

Edited by biocarolyn

Beanman and Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina. Also just so you have an excuse to say it periodically LOL. Very beachy to me, coconut and ambergris, with some skin musk and orange blossom.

That is too funny. Did not know that existed.

Can anyone recommend a really perfumey marine blend that might better match what I was imagining? I'm not looking for the beach with coconuts and suntan lotion, just the salty ocean and air. It doesn't have to smell exactly like the ocean either; I'm really just craving that perfumey saltiness, perhaps with something airy or aquatic to freshen it up.

Also, maybe try to track down some Pirate Moon - doesn't say it in the notes, but it is very salty and oceany to me without being completely aquatic (and it also isn't very coconutty either, at least not on me). (Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.)

Thought I would check in and say that Octopus is currently my favorite marine blend. It's nice and salty and ocean-y. It's more soapy than perfumey, but I like soapy too so that's ok.

Thalassa is more perfumey, but the bitter almond ended up being a bit overwhelming on me.

I will look into Pirate Moon as well. I've found that I do like ambergris as a note, even if the SN wasn't what I was expecting.

It's not so much an ocean scent as a seaside scent, but Jupiterian Phoenix is a walk on a Maine island for me. Pines, cedar and a little something that reminds me of a faint whiff of salt air.

I tend to like scents that give a mental impression of the ocean rather than smelling like actual ocean/beach, but I second Calico Jack -- it smells like salt water spray on a ship's deck. I also recommend Caliban (from GC Illyria), which reminds me of the smell of wrack and driftwood cast up on the beach.

Try Aphrogenes, if you can find a bottle. (It's a Luper from the Ode to Aprodite collection. I think it means 'foam born.')

Orris root, iris, white honey, white sandalwood, coconut, and cherry blossom. It doesn't smell exactly like the ocean - at best it's quite a bit like sunscreen and there's something a bit salty about it in the background - but it smells like how the scent of the ocean feels, if that makes any sense. It's uncanny.