Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RunnerInPink

Mother, Mother Ocean

Sooo...if I'm posting improperly, please let me know. I'm new to the forums but I've been hooked on BPAL for years...and have been searching for a particular scent.

I desperately want a scent that smells like the ocean. I want to smell like sunscreen, salt water, sand, and marine life. My heart belongs to the ocean...but right now I'm trapped in the mountains being a PhD student.

I've searched/lurked through the other posts trying to find a recommendation and the closest I've found is Tiki Princess which from what I gather is no longer around...I am looking for something I can buy direct and get multiple vials of. I may swim in it, not sure yet. B)

But any thoughts would be nice. I don't want something overtly marine smelling...honestly, if you've ever smelled Yankee Candle's sun and sand variety, that's close to what I want....it's fairly girly and sunscreeny...and yes I could just wear sunscreen....but still. I need it in BPAL form.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Sooo...if I'm posting improperly, please let me know. I'm new to the forums but I've been hooked on BPAL for years...and have been searching for a particular scent.

I desperately want a scent that smells like the ocean. I want to smell like sunscreen, salt water, sand, and marine life. My heart belongs to the ocean...but right now I'm trapped in the mountains being a PhD student.

I've searched/lurked through the other posts trying to find a recommendation and the closest I've found is Tiki Princess which from what I gather is no longer around...I am looking for something I can buy direct and get multiple vials of. I may swim in it, not sure yet. B)

But any thoughts would be nice. I don't want something overtly marine smelling...honestly, if you've ever smelled Yankee Candle's sun and sand variety, that's close to what I want....it's fairly girly and sunscreeny...and yes I could just wear sunscreen....but still. I need it in BPAL form.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Windward Passage is my #1 love as far as Ocean scents go, but The Seafoam's Blood, the Seafoam's Milk, The Deep Ones, R'lyeh and Dragon's Tears are all wonderful too. Sunrise with Seamonsters was excellent but no longer available. All of them are salty, oceany scents, not so much with sunscreen but with water and kelp and the water and wind of the shore. I hope this helps! Ocean scents are some of my favourites!

Edited by The Poison Queen

I feel your pain RunnerInPink, I am also currently landlocked for my PhD. :cry2: I would second the recommendation for The Deep Ones. It's salty without being too "Cool Water" aquatic, and it has a slightly sweet tinge that kind of reminds me of the smell of ocean lingering on your skin and hair after being at the beach. It smells very specifically to me like Carlsbad, CA. Hope that helps!

There are lot's of great ocean scents to be found in the land of BPAL!

Here are a few GC blends (general catalog - aka impable) that first popped into my head:

Olokun

Obatala

Sea Foam's Milk

The Deep Ones

Y'ha-Nthlei

Cthulhu

R'lyeh

Sea of Glass

Windward Passage

There are lot's of great ocean scents to be found in the land of BPAL!

Here are a few GC blends (general catalog - aka impable) that first popped into my head:

Olokun

Obatala

Sea Foam's Milk

The Deep Ones

Y'ha-Nthlei

Cthulhu

R'lyeh

Sea of Glass

Windward Passage

Thank you all for your input! I think I have an imp of Windward Passage at home and it didn't make that big of an impression on me...I'm thinking it wasn't sweet/suntan-y enough. I'll have to sniff it again when I get home. I was debating Obatala, Sea Foam's Milk, Y'ha-Nthlei and Cthulhu. I guess I should just do an imp order.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Keep them coming!!

Tiki Princess is what you're looking for. Trust (it's my holy grail scent, so I probably shouldn't have told you that!!! icon_wink.gif). Obatala is very close, though, and works really well layered with other scents. I really love it layered with Strangler Fig - that was my go-to summer scent before Tiki Princess came out. And if you layer Obatala with Snow White (a Yule LE that tends to come out every year) you get something pretty close to Tiki Princess. Spider Silk bath oil isn't all that coconutty on me, but it does have a summery, beachy freshness to it that you may like and it is still live on the Trading Post website. You may also want to try Aunt Rosie's All Purpose Cephalopod Bath Oil, which is live in the Trading Post Etsy store - it's notes are Lush coconut, ambergris accord, sweet rice milk, Siamese benzoin, white ginger, and orange pekoe and it is yummeh.

I'll keep thinking on it - I have to slather myself in sunscreen all day and the only one I like is Hawaiian Tropic, so I've spent a loooooot of time trying stuff in the "compatible with beachiness" category.

ETA: I'm sorry, after looking again I realize that Aunt Rosie's is sold out. I could have sworn I *just* saw it listed again, but I guess I was wrong.

Edited by allidavie
Boo. Aunt Rosie's is sold out.

Hi there! I'm not big on overt ocean notes so prefer blends in the vein of what I think you're looking for. :)

I would suggest Y'ha-nthlei, Obatala, and The Sea Foams Milk.

Y'ha-nthlei is very bright, clean, oceany, happy.

Obatala: I've randomly had people happily comment how I smell like sunscreen and the beach.

The Sea Foams Milk: sweet tropical coconut milk + non-brine-y surf spray smell.

Edited by SophieCedar

Hiya RunnerInPink :wave:

It's been said already, but definitely Obatala. It's a gorgeous fresh coconut - it doesn't really have an 'ocean' aspect to it, but it smells just like 1970s style coconutty suntan lotion :smile:

Sea Foams Milk and Sea Foams Glass - yep, I would definitely second those recommendations too :thumbsup:

Thank you guys so much for your advice!! My sister is buying me one for my birthday and I think I'll go with Obatala based on what you all have described. Probably will get imps of the other ones...because as Sunshinedaisybliss says...if you love something buy 27 bottles of it. LOL!!! Might as well try all the ocean scents!!! That signature cracked me up though.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! MUST HAVE ALL THE SNIFFS!!!!!

I'm making a spreadsheet of my sniff-wish and own list...instead of doing my homework. Thanks guys. My advisor is going to hate me.

YAY! And don't worry - your advisor will be unable to hate you when you're smelling so good :smilenod:

You should take a look through the For Sale section here on the forum - you'll find people with big long lists of imps for sale, so you should be able to find a nice selection of things to try without sending yourself broke ;)

Happy sniffing!!

I'm from New Jersey, right on the beach, but bought a house in Central New York. What was I thinking? :lol:

Anyway, while not an ocean scent, Goblin (in the Diabolus heading) is always a beach scent for me.

Tiki Princess is what you're looking for. Trust (it's my holy grail scent, so I probably shouldn't have told you that!!! icon_wink.gif). Obatala is very close, though, and works really well layered with other scents. I really love it layered with Strangler Fig - that was my go-to summer scent before Tiki Princess came out. And if you layer Obatala with Snow White (a Yule LE that tends to come out every year) you get something pretty close to Tiki Princess. Spider Silk bath oil isn't all that coconutty on me, but it does have a summery, beachy freshness to it that you may like and it is still live on the Trading Post website. You may also want to try Aunt Rosie's All Purpose Cephalopod Bath Oil, which is live in the Trading Post Etsy store - it's notes are Lush coconut, ambergris accord, sweet rice milk, Siamese benzoin, white ginger, and orange pekoe and it is yummeh.

I'll keep thinking on it - I have to slather myself in sunscreen all day and the only one I like is Hawaiian Tropic, so I've spent a loooooot of time trying stuff in the "compatible with beachiness" category.

ETA: I'm sorry, after looking again I realize that Aunt Rosie's is sold out. I could have sworn I *just* saw it listed again, but I guess I was wrong.

The Jimmy Buffett fan in me is screaming "THANK GOD THE TIKI BAR IS OPEN" every time I hear mention of this one. Man I'm sad I missed the boat on it. Good luck in your quest. I won't stand in your way. :wave:

Anyway, while not an ocean scent, Goblin (in the Diabolus heading) is always a beach scent for me.

Ooh yes - how could I have forgotten Goblin!! It's like a naughty, sexy dirty beach romp :smilenod:

Ooh yes - how could I have forgotten Goblin!! It's like a naughty, sexy dirty beach romp :smilenod:

Man, and to think I have never tried Goblin! Must go update my swaps list and try to get some...

RiP (heh), I haven't tried Calico Jack.

GingerGunlock - What exit? icon_cool.gif 63 for me. Going "home" (we sold our house a few years ago, but still rent every year) to Barnegat Light later this summer; can't wait. Screw you, Sandy!

Man, and to think I have never tried Goblin! Must go update my swaps list and try to get some...

RiP (heh), I haven't tried Calico Jack.

GingerGunlock - What exit? icon_cool.gif 63 for me. Going "home" (we sold our house a few years ago, but still rent every year) to Barnegat Light later this summer; can't wait. Screw you, Sandy!

98 :D

Black Pearl smells like a day at the beach to me. It gets that combination of salty air and coconut suntan lotion and everything else that you described to my nose just right. It doesn't hurt that this was my "beach" scent when I lived in Florida ;)

I second Black Pearl as a beachy, sunscreeny scent.

Cthulhu is very oceany, plus whenever I wear Pele my guy says I smell like the beach.

I second Black Pearl as a beachy, sunscreeny scent.

Cthulhu is very oceany, plus whenever I wear Pele my guy says I smell like the beach.

I just ordered an imp of Cthulhu to try. I have one of Black Pearl but I think it's lacking the ocean scent. It is maybe a little sweeter than I have in mind. Maybe if I layer the two!! Cannot WAIT for my order to get here!!! Lol.

Wasn't sure if I needed a new thread; I thought this one was close, but I'm sorry if it seems like I'm butting in here...

So, I had hoped that the Ambergris SN would be a bottle of the salty marine note from Lyonesse that I love, but it was mostly a lemony powder on me.

Can anyone recommend a really perfumey marine blend that might better match what I was imagining? I'm not looking for the beach with coconuts and suntan lotion, just the salty ocean and air. It doesn't have to smell exactly like the ocean either; I'm really just craving that perfumey saltiness, perhaps with something airy or aquatic to freshen it up. I hope that makes a little bit of sense to someone. :lol:

The Arkham series seems like it might be a good place to start: Cthulhu, The Deep Ones, R'lyeh, and Y'ha-Nthlei have all been mentioned already. Anything I should definitely pursue, among these or others?

Thanks. :)

Edited by heygraycatbird

Wasn't sure if I needed a new thread; I thought this one was close, but I'm sorry if it seems like I'm butting in here...

So, I had hoped that the Ambergris SN would be a bottle of the salty marine note from Lyonesse that I love, but it was mostly a lemony powder on me.

Can anyone recommend a really perfumey marine blend that might better match what I was imagining? I'm not looking for the beach with coconuts and suntan lotion, just the salty ocean and air. It doesn't have to smell exactly like the ocean either; I'm really just craving that perfumey saltiness, perhaps with something airy or aquatic to freshen it up. I hope that makes a little bit of sense to someone. :lol:

The Arkham series seems like it might be a good place to start: Cthulhu, The Deep Ones, R'lyeh, and Y'ha-Nthlei have all been mentioned already. Anything I should definitely pursue, among these or others?

Thanks. :)

Though it is Dc'd, Thalassa the Galapagos Mermaid is a salty, aquatic scent I've found that manages to be airy, light and slightly floral at the same time. It is definitely different, if nothing else.

Heygraycatbird, do you like dragon's blood? Dragon's Tears is very salty and a little floral. 51 was also very salty and airy and floral to me.

Thanks kashmira and fufu_berry for the suggestions!

Thalassa sounds like a good potential match based on the reviews I read: almost everyone talked about the saltiness, and a few described it as "perfumey," which I think is what I want. I'll have to put it on my wishlist and keep an eye out.

I'm not too familiar with dragon's blood; I have imps of Dragon's Milk and Dragon's Eye, but I can only smell the sharp florals in the latter. I'd be willing to try another dragon's blood blend, so I'll add Dragon's Tears to the list.

I do have an imp of 51. It's definitely a nice aquatic, but it doesn't have a marine scent to me. Oddly enough, I swear I smell something peppery in it, rather than salty!