Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eris

Salomé

A scent that is both coquettish and sinister. Exotic and lush, brimming with grace and viciousness: almond with star jasmine, oakmoss, red sandalwood and Egyptian musk.

In the imp: Almond extract

On my skin: No department store perfume here. This is a nice soft blend of almond, sandalwood, and flowers, which must be the star jasmine. There is a definite sweetly smoky undertone here that I really like. It's similar to a drift of smoke from sandalwood incense. As it dries, the almond fades away and the other notes become more prominent. I don't know how star jasmine relates to regular jasmine, but there's no jasmine-out-of-control problem here at all. My only complaint is that it fades very quickly on me. By the time it's completely dry, it's almost completely gone.

Overall, this is a nice blend of very light, slightly powdery florals and smoky sandalwood incense. I like it, but it doesn't really jump out at me, and it fades too quickly. I'll probably keep my imp, which was a freebie from the lab, but if I see it on someone's wishlist I might just pass it on. It's pleasant but unexciting. Edited by Shollin

This is a yummy almond blend, made smokey by the bit of sandalwood and musk. Jasmine is usually a bad thing with my chemistry, but the star jasmine blended in with the rest makes it utterly feminine and sexy. I really like it and will treasure my imp, but I am not sure I could wear this one every day.

In the vial: Almond almond ... is my nose just turning everything to almond today?

On me: Skin and blood.

Later: Yeast and almond and blood.

Hmm. Interesting.

Bottle--Almond and sandalwood.

Wet--Almond, sandalwood and star jasmine. Kind of pretty...much more than I thought it would be.

Drydown--The sandalwood and musk come out and take over, making this one almost commercially perfumey. Pretty. But not my thing.

I get none of the almond, and all of the jasmine.

There IS musk and sandalwood under there, but the jasmine is so dominant that there's no way this blend is for me. At all. :P

I'm going to start by saying I shouldn't like Salome. I shouldn't be able to wear it.

It violates the laws of Perfume Physics.

In the imp, Salome is sweet and rosy, with a significant hit of almond. It's definitely a red scent.

On the skin- this never happens to me- the rose vanishes, the jasmine steps WAY up, and the almond just kinda chills for a while. In drydown, Salome is almost all jasmine on me. It goes from red to a light purple and STAYS there. For hours.

I think I might keep it. It's really feminine but oddly that's not bothering me.

this one made me :P , I SOOO wanted to love it with the almond, I'm an almond freak! Nope, I get dirt... DIRT... what is THAT about? *sigh*

Straight almond at first but oh, there's the jasmine, here again to ruin everything. It's slightly more bearable in Salome that it is in lots of other blends though. I do get a nice sandalwood note in the mix. A very warm scent and this could be extremely sultry on someone who likes jasmine more than I do.

In the bottle I smelled Alcohol. :P

On me... I don't know.. there is just something that doesn't work well. It's a bit too masculine, and while I tend to like those scents, it just smells weird on me. Kinda almost like kitty litter. :D

I love Salome. To me it smells very oriental....Reminds me of my Mom's perfume (and trust that I mean this in the most complimentary way imaginable) which is Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. So, to me this smells like Opium but a billion times better. More natural and complex and....I want to say cleaner. There's less of this icky bite and cloyingly sweet overtone that Opium has that makes me want to sneeze - it's like Opium's more refined and smoother, classier Egyptian cousin. I dunno, I would never wear opium, but this, this I can wear. The thing is, though, that as much as I love it - my Mom would flippin' flip over this one, and so I am planning on gifting her with my imp. It's a scent up for consideration for future bottle purchases (I have 0 bottles right now, so this is not an expression of any reservations on my part just lack of funds) I think this is a beautiful, classy, exotic scent and I am thankful to be able to share it with my Moms. :P

Salome

Commanding. Subtly nutty, with warm florals and a bitter musk and tree undertones. This scent feels cruel and unyielding.

[2 - Dislike] Not an appealing mixture for me.

Edited by MaidenGenevive

imp: almonds and musk.

wet: the sandalwood and musk blend together nicely here while the almond stays in the background.

i think i'm also getting just a touch of jasmine...

dry: musk and jasmine. the musk stayed pretty constant the whole time.

I was really excited about this, but on it immediately turned straight to sandalwood, with no almond. And stayed that way, with just a hint of musk. Didn't smell great on me either.

I absolutely hate almond as a perfume (as a kid I got sick once and the bathroom smelled like almond soap and I've had negative associations ever since).

However, I just had to meet Salomé because I have the fantastic locket.

I am SO glad I did!

Jasmine is pretty much my favorite fragrance, and the star jasmine in Salomé is just lovely. A hint of musk rounds it out, and if there's sandalwood in this blend, I can't detect it outright, but there is something warm about it, making it an almost incensy blend.

I only smell almond when I sniff the imp. It disappears completely once it hits my skin.

If you are looking for an almond scent, this may not be the way to go.

If you love jasmine, and you'd like to try a jasmine blend that has an incense "feel" to it, then try out Salomé for sure!

I give it a 4.4 out of 5

In the imp, this is almond under heady jasmine - lovely!

On my skin, this is very sharp - I smell jasmine, and sandalwood.

When it dries, there's something almost sour and powdery. Sad - I really wanted to like one. It had so much potential (almond! musk!), but it doesn't work for me.

In bottle: Almonds, and nothing else. Bleugh.

Wet on skin: Almonds, and cat pee. I think I preferred when it was just almonds.

Dry (30 mins after application): Huh. What a difference half an hour makes! The almond-and-cat-pee smell is gone, replaced with a sort of smoky jasmine scent. Much better, and actually rather sexy. Just remind me to apply this a good 45 mins before leaving the house.

In the imp: Sweet floral and musk

On skin, wet: Bitter musk contrasted with just a faint touch of the sweetness of jasmine.

Drydown: Sandalwood with a lot of musk and that tiny hint of jasmine sweetness.

Throw: Average

Lasting power: Excellent- still very much there after 6 hours plus.

Verdict: Very sexy, but a bit too musky for me.

Edited to add: I was a newbie when I posted this- now I know that the scent that goes all funky-musky on me is jasmine. So this one wasn't all that musky, just very very jasmine.

Edited by lilirose

In the imp: almond.

Wet: very assertive almond with a hint of jasmine.

Drydown: the almond disappears almost completely, and up come musk and sandalwood and something that smells a bit like teak.

Well, this one demonstrates conclusively that Egyptian musk does not work on me.... Salome initially is bitter almonds, and dries down to funky unwashed crotch. :P Not quite the olfactory message I want to send!

Imp : Almond and perfume with a tinge of cherry sweetness to it.

Skin, Wet : Mmm, cherry and almonds. Very yummy, still sweet and tart.

Skin, Drydown : Less cherry, more woody and musky. Still fairly sweet. Mmm, the jasmine does start to come out and smells lovely.

Skin, Dry : Red and jasmine? Lovely. I think it smells really damn sexy.

Salome, alas, did absolutely nothing for me. I was expecting a wildly exotic scent, but I got generic floral blah accompanied by almond extract. It's probably just my sniffer, though - I seem to be unable to tolerate florals.

Imp: Mmmm.... this is fabulous. Sweet almond and a bit of soft floral.

Wet: The almond disappears and the wood takes centre stage.

Dry: This is primarily sandalwood tempered by a touch of jasmine. The wood is really strong, and I think it's being buffered by my old enemy oakmoss.

Throw: The wood has great throw, but not really the rest of the scent.

Overall: I wish this stayed true to the beautiful scent in the bottle but, alas, I am either going to have to put it in the hair or get a scent locket.

In the vial - A dark, dangerous and somehow earthy scent. The almond here doesn't smell edible; it's sinister; more like a warning of the presence of of cyanide.

Wet on the skin - The almond note and the dark, heavy musk are immediate and powerful. This scent takes no prisoners. Unlike other reviewers, I smell remarkably little jasmine.

Next stages - The red sandalwood note is sharp and almost biting but I suspect this willl mellow with time. It seems to have overtaken the almond.

Dry down - Sandalwood still dominates, leaving behind a musky, woody trail of scent.

Comparisons - The almond note is not unlike the aggressively sexual Black Phoenix blend.

Wet on my skin, Salomé is sandalwood single note. Dry, the sandalwood is replaced by jasmine over a little musk. This is lovely.