Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Mr. Bobo

Cooking herbs, pickles, and mouse fur.

Well, here goes.

From the bottle, this smells a lot like the top note of tea tree, rosemary, maybe a little bit like fragonia (a sweetish, flowery tea tree relative). It also smells like pickle juice.

Wet, the pickle juice comes to the forefront, and the herbs swing together in a camphorous, leafy way to bring me thoughts of rosemary and sage sprigs. Then... oh, my god, it's mouse. Like, prickly, tiny, fuzzy gray fur. And pickles. And rosemary. It's drying down pretty rapidly into a not truly pleasant aroma, however if you like thyme and that type of forceful herbaceous aroma, this may be for you.

It reminds me of the fuzziness of Coyote meets the pickleness of Ivanushka, and herbs.

I don't think this is something I can wear, but wow, is it Mr. Bobo.

This is a great herbal - I get sage, thyme, paprika, cinnamon. The "mouse fur" is fuzzy and a little sweet. There's just a hint of pickle, but it's refreshing and not too sour. "Cooking spices" is definitely apropos.

In bottle: herbs and pickles! Definitely masculine, even if it's a "kitchen" smell. Maybe it's the slightly astringent tone this has. This is actually kind of nice, but I don't know if I'd expect this as a perfume on anyone.

Wet on skin: it's a very comfortable scent, but yes, I don't think id expect this as perfume on anyone, though it smells quite pleasant. This is like coming into the kitchen and then hugging the cook and smelling this comforting cloud of amazing, yummy scents after they've been cooking for a while. It's not foody, but it's...that way. (It softens a tiny bit.)

Dry: the pickles die down a bit and lets the herbs come out more. I don't really know how the mouse fur would smell like, and I can convince myself I get a furry feeling from this, but that's only because I'm looking for it. I wouldn't call this scent particularly fuzzy. Maybe fuzzy in a cuddly, comforting kind of way, not in a brown musk way.

Verdict: like all of Beth's blends this is an amazing experience, but you'll probably either LOVE it or scratch your head and wonder if anyone would wear this on purpose. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I get so much oregano from this that I smell like I just dumped the shaker from a pizza joint all over my head! It makes me hungry. :)

When the new Coralines were announced, Mr. Bobo instantly caught my attention. Just reading the notes brought my grandmother, my babcia, to mind. Babcia is always growing her own herbs and cooking with them, she makes her own pickles (and they are to die for), and while she has no mice, her little cat Mateusz can always be found sitting by her ankles. I'm hoping this smells just like babcia's house.

In the imp: This is very pleasant! It's very herbal, a weeeee bit astringent, and while I can smell certain individual herbs if I concentrate (like dill and thyme), none of them are overpowering each other. There's also that fur note, and it's not really fuzzy but it adds a lovely sort of softness to the blend. This is quite wearable, in my opinion. While it doesn't really smell like Babia's house (not nearly enough dill!), it's still a nice, comforting sort of smell.

Wet: Huh. It's predominantly astringent. It's like menthol/eucalyptus, but not quite as gross- it's kinda minty. There's also a more general sort of high-pitched herbal smell in the background.

Drydown: The weird herbal/minty eucalyptus is registering as a pickle smell. The scent itself hasn't changed much but I can definitely feel that it's supposed to be pickles. Not enough dill in these pickles, though. They're not all that sour, either, but I have to remind myself that this is a perfume, and smelling like 100% authentic delicious pickles might be a bit much. :P

Dry: Yikes. Not sure how I feel about this. The pickle smell is stronger, and it has a wicked herbal bite, but the pickles are covered in fur. Sadly, the eucalyptus is still there, too, linked arm in arm with the pickles.

Verdict? Not a thing like babcia's house. Her house is dill dominant with the other herbs and Polish food smells gently lingering just beneath the dill. There is not a lick of eucalyptus at her house. Ugh, this is upsetting. :( I can only just barely tolerate eucalyptus. I need to wash this off.

I'll keep the imp because it smells nice in there, but I don't think a bottle will happen unless my skin chem shapes up.

Rosemary, oregano, and a hint of mentholic fur.

This just smells, weird, to me.

It's green, herbal, strange.

Metallic spice which dries down to burnt rubber on my skin. It's in the top 3 of epic BPAL fails on my skin. I don't think I can even use this in an oil burner which is sad since I LOVE pickles.

Astringent, pickly and medicinal. I'm getting the fur too, and it's just adding to the awfullness of this blend on me. Quite possibly the worst bpal I've ever tried.

I actually quite enjoy this one though I can't see myself wearing it often. It's predominantly thyme on me with a brief pickle-y phase.

Mr. Bobo is a strange, herbal blend. It's taken me forever to review it, because I don't really like it and I don't really feel like I 'get it,' lol. Reading the other reviews, I can agree that it kinda smells like dill, a citrusy rosemary, oregano, and sage. But it also smells kind of funky, damp, and moldy on me in a way that I can't really explain. Moldy curtains and sour herbs?

This opens with pickle scented scratch-n-sniff stickers!

It gets better...

A (very fuzzy, very cute) mouse has ravaged your spice cabinet while you slept.

There are chewed bits of dried leaves, seeds and powders everywhere! Trying to figure out where to start

cleaning it up (and reminding yourself that you can never have enough small glass bottles that seal well)

smells like this.

Later: I'm enjoying this more than I thought, but oddly craving a furry pickles on gingerbread sandwich.

Still later: it's cooling and refreshing while simultaneously being warm and spicy. It's got a serious push-pull thing

going on. I'm more intrigued than repulsed. Lots of dried oregano and thyme now and the initial pickle bite has faded.

Curious, fresh/herbal, spicy and a strangely comforting skin scent in the far dry down.

I've spent many a long day/night in and around kitchens, but never managed to absorb all of these smells at once. :P

Interesting one, though, and suits the character.