Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Franny

Coraline Jones

Dry grass, clean skin, and a little bit of mossy berry.

The best way to describe this scent is light and clean. It isn't soapy, it just smells fresh. I don't smell much of the grass, but I do get the clean fresh smell and a bit of berry. Maybe the grass just contributes to the freshness? It is very pretty without being too perfumey, and I don't think it is much of a morpher on my skin.

I like it, but I don't think I can say that I love it yet. I am happy to have a bottle and I will wear it, maybe over time my like will deepen to love.

Yes, this is a clean scent. Not in a bracing, cleanser-like way, but in a natural green way. There's a hint of juicy red, too, which must be the berries. I quite like it, but I don't know yet if I will need more than a decant.

In bottle: soapy-clean skin with a good dusting of powder, a hint of green and a hint of juicy berry. The powder-on-skin is definitely the first thing that comes to my mind here.

Wet on skin: soapy, powdery, pleasant. What I wasn't expecting: a definite floral feeling. It's a kind of generic soapy-floral scent, I can't quite pinpoint what it is. I'm getting sweet greens and a hint of berry, overlaid with a good dusting of baby powder.

Dry: soapy, powdery skin, after rolling about in sweet floral grass (sans the obligatory baby sweat and dirt). This is very pleasant and inoffensive, a scent that you'd love to smell on a baby, makes you want to nuzzle and cuddle and read stories aloud. It's not a particular babyish scent for me though, or a childlike one; I can see a grown-up wearing this as a kind of everyday scent.

Verdict: it is definitely pleasant and I like how it smells, but something this powdery isn't my cup of tea, even if it does smell like amazing amazing powder.

In bottle: Surprisingly sharp with the moss giving an aftershave effect. It’s clearly moss dominant, with something best described as “clean” next. It is similar to the linen note in feel. More sniffing makes the berry pop out of the moss note where it was hiding. The grass is soft support for the clean note. Wet: The balance is similar on the skin, with moss strongest. The clean and the berry note are almost equal, with the skin musk being more noticeable. The grass really does go well with clean skin. Dry: The berry hgas good staying power, and the moss+berry parses as mossy berry on the dry down. The clean skin blends beautifully with the stronger notes as it fades.

Going on, it’s sort of a white, clean linen smell with a hint of sweetness… must be from the berries. But definitely mossy (in a good way)… like standing at the edge of a cold freshwater stream. With something blooming nearby.

Unfortunately, after about 30 minutes it settles into a skin musk on me, and stays that way. If only the moss and berries had stayed around! It had a lot of potential at first, so I'll give it another try or three and see what happens.

When I sniffed this at C2E2, I knew it had to be mine. Even though I had told myself I was not buying any GCs, I bought this one... it was so clean and refreshing, like youth and happiness.

When I put it on this morning, it smelled exactly like my memory of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth. Exactly. I walked around all morning smelling like 1989. And it had that same characteristic about it that I love about Lawn Gnome -- it's something that I just keep smelling, no olfactory exhaustion. But the berry here is definitely similar to lawn gnome.

Now, 7 hours later, I can still find it if I press my nose to my wrist, and it still smells like electric youth, but now it faint, and a little bit like if they had made electric youth dryer sheets. If I think "fresh mown grass" while sniffing it, I can find that note now, but it was no where to be found initially.

I was gifted a bottle of this (thank you, thank you - you know who you are :wub2: ), and I am so happy to have it! I never would have bought Coraline Jones for myself, and she smells wonderful.

Clean but not soapy, fresh and slightly grassy but not too green, with a hint of juicy sweetness from the red berries. This is a completely inoffensive scent for when you want to smell good but not 'dressed up' or sexy. It will be perfect for sweltering, muggy Summer days, too.

I'm surprised by how much I like this.

I often have trouble with grassy and outdoorsy scents because I'm highly allergic to grass, so even if they don't trigger my allergies in and of themselves, they make me unpleasantly anticipate an allergic reaction.

This scent smells like the outdoors, slightly green and airy, but not overwhelmingly. It conveys a sort of outside, clean open air vibe without having anything ozone-y or grassy abouti t.

The berries are sweet and keep it from being too fresh, and there's a bright sort of freshly-washed linen aspect to the scent. It's very wearable and had surprising lasting power on me given how light a scent it is.

I've actually almost used up the half-decant I had, which probably means I need more.

Upon initial application, the grass note is green and fresh, but, thankfully, is not noticeably a lawn. On the drydown, the juxtaposition of clean skin and moss is slight-ly disturbing. The berry note adds a bit of tartness, but does not make the scent pink-mostly blends with the green to brighten it. Drying out, the blend is surprisingly creamy (must be the musk), and mossy green, without being at all muddy. It reminds me much of Eden, but with a less cloying milky note.

First on, Coraline is similar to the clean, cool skin & honey notes that I get from Sara Pezzini. It's also similar to the watery musk and honey in Solstice Scents' Pharaoh blend.

I'm not getting anything green or grass-like from this blend, though there is a hint of sweet, dried herbs and tart berry smell in the drydown.

This is sensual, pretty, clean (slightly soapy), and delicately sweet. I like this, but I find the sexy clean skin & honey smell to be a bit odd in a scent representing Coraline, and I like the combo more in Sara Pezzini. I prefer the hint of leather in Sara Pezzini to the hint of dried herbs and tart berry in this one.

Over time, the berry in this seems to turn more and more sour & strong smelling on my skin, and I start to find it unpleasant.

My husband said that this reminds him of bug spray after a while.

Edited by Little Bird

Green grass, skin musk, and detergent.

This smells like your kid in a freshly laundered shirt with massive grass stains on it. And you can't be mad at them because its what kids do.

This scent is evocative of the simple joys of being a parent, and having a kid that likes the outdoors.

Skin indeed. I get some skin musk, kind of reminiscent of Velvet Nudie. If there were honey in this, I bet it would smell like Sarah Pezzini. So skin and grass. The whole effect is kind of cologney, but nice. I'd probably add something here to sweeten it up a bit. Will probably use up my 1/2 decant.

On my, this is pretty much what it says on the tin. Mostly clean skin musk with moss and berry. Slightly sweet, very musky in a soft powdery way. Very clean smelling. I like this a lot!

Years and years and years ago, there was a little "pheromone" perfume oil I got from one of those Passion Parties. It smelt exactly like this. Looking back, that was probably a rip off, but it smells delicate and pretty. I can see a sweet little girl smelling like this, but I prefer more sexy, 'Queen of Sheba' scents :)

Smells exactly like the scent list: skin, grass, and berries. Heavier on the dry grass than I would like, a little sense of dry hay. Something in the skin note goes slightly aquatic on me, while the berry stays true and sweet. Would love this if only the grass note weren't so heavy!

Wet - Soapy. Mostly berries, overtop of a "clean" scent that I tend to associate with laundry. Usually I hate that type of scent, but this is quite pretty so far.

Dry, there is something really compelling about this scent. It's not the type of thing I normally go for, but I'm really enjoying it. After being on my skin for sometime, the scent has morphed into sun-warmed grass and berries, with hints of "clean that I actually really like. I can see wearing it in late spring, early summer. Really pretty.

On me I smell like wet grass and then as it dries down I smell the clean musk. It smells like a fresh day playing outside. So I put it on my son to try today and I could SMELL childhood wonder. His skin amped up the berries and the musk, i was gorgeous.

This is the scent of climbing into fresh, clean sheets with your just bathed toddler, snuggling them close and taking a deep inhale of their clean hair as you read a bedtime story. It's clean, innocent, cozy, and fresh. I love it. It's a very "whole" scent on my skin- I can't really pick out any single notes, just the overwhelming impression of coziness. But it's cozy in a light, sunshiny, springtime way, not a heavier autumn way. Scent is mostly a no-no in my profession (I'm a massage therapist), but I think I could probably get away with wearing this one on the clock. It doesn't really smell of perfume, just of being clean. Not much throw to it either. My only complaint is that even with a healthy slathering my skin ate this up fairly quickly. At the two hour mark, not even the ghost of the fragrance was left. Now I can say I adore Coraline in all her forms- book, movie, and fragrance.

I really like this one! It's a sweet, fresh scent. In the bottle I get some berry notes, a little vanilla, and something fresh (lemongrass?). On my skin it gets a little more powdery - not full baby powder, but I kind of liken the scent to Playdough, which summons all sorts of nostalgia! If you've ever smelled Purr by Katy Perry, this "Playdough" note reminds me of something in that. During the dry down it becomes even more powdery; it's powder and sweet vanilla, and it's just boarderline foodie in my opinion. It doesn't have the biggest throw in the world, but it does last a good while. Very child-like in a fun and beautiful way.

(By the way, YAY, this is my first post! I've been . . . HOARDING BPAL for while, lol, and have been stalking the review sections of the forum for quite sometime, but finally had to break down and get an account when "Bitches Love Unicorns" came out, but that's okay - I love reading and writing fragrance reviews!)

In Bottle: Clean, grassy, with a slight hint of a tart berry scent.

Wet: A very natural scent, like hiking through a mountain pass while surrounded by dry grasses and eating blackberries.

Dry: LOVE this scent. It smells exactly like the scent list. Softly sweet, grassy, with a hint of a tart berry. It makes for a great everyday scent, especially when I'm stuck inside all day studying. It brings a sense of fresh air and nature to hours spent under fluorescent lights, but the skin musk keeps the scent grounded and adds some warmth. I think it really capture Coraline's adventuring spirit. Totally reminds me of all my camping and hiking trips when I was a kid. It has quickly become my most worn scent.

Edited by InkWorm

I am so, so sad that I was only able to obtain 1/2 bottle of this! It ran out this morning, and I'm already missing it. What a perfect, happy, clean, peaceful, and beautiful perfume. When I put this on, I don't smell like I'm wearing perfume. I smell like I'm freshly bathed and sitting in a sunny garden, on a patch of fresh cut grass. It is hard to perceive the different notes, and as a result the effect is much more magical and cohesive than I would have expected from the description. A good blend for early mornings, the springtime, and playing with babies. :)

Skin musk is very iffy on me, so I was a little concerned but Coraline is lovely. This is more dry lawn grass than dry grasses in a field with clean, clean skin. Maybe there’s a little moss and a hint of berry, but just a hint. It’s what it says on the tin but it’s prettier and more wearable than you might think. I can see why people mention children in relation to this- not because an adult can’t wear it well but because the scent isn’t hiding anything. It is what it says it is, unlike most adults. I’m a sucker for any dry grass perfume so I’m glad to have tried it and will consider getting myself a bottle.

I used to have a partial bottle of this, but I swapped it away for something else many years ago, and apparently, I never reviewed it.

In the (carded) imp: The skin must is the dominant note, followed by the dry grass, and then a hint of the mossy berry.

Wet: The skin musk is very prominent, but I’m also getting a lot more dry grass and mossy berry than I did from the vial. I am not particularly fond of berry notes in perfume, but the berry in this is more moss than berry and not cloying or artificial at all.

Dry: The skin musk and the moss notes stand out to me the most.

After a few hours, it remains the same: clean skin musk, moss, and some dry grass. I no longer smell the berry.

Verdict: This is a nice, clean, fresh scent. I think it would be great perfume oil for a child just getting to wear perfume, for those that work in a scent-sensitive environment, or for those that just happen to adore fresh, clean scents! It’s not something I need more of (as I didn’t reach for my partial enough back in 2013), but I do like it. :)

Honey! I get honey at first, but a nice honey, not cloying. The grass comes out a little bit but it's not too sharp. Generally clean but not super soapy, with a light berry smell, not like grape, but dark youthful berries. It's okay, doesn't grab me, but then again most skin musk or berry scents aren't my speed. Still I'm shocked the fruits in this don't go sour, so it's got that going for it. I think if you are into these notes you will love this! Youthful and sweet. 

I was afraid of the dry grass note, that is would be really strong and make me sneeze.  But, it’s barely noticeable.  This scent is both clean (in a laundry soap/baby powder way) and honey-sweet.  It’s like how a little baby would smell after a bath.  I’m not getting any berry or moss.  Just clean bebe.