Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
VioletChaos

Peony Moon 2013

Ume blossoms and pink peony against a pale backdrop of white sandalwood, Japanese apricot petals, lotus root, and spider lily.

Alas! Peony Moon and I are not meant to be!

I'm sad because Peony as a note is so light and lovely. But florals are notoriously picky with my skin chemistry, so while sad, I'm not terribly surprised that this turned to soap on me :cry2: This happened at Yule with Little Flora- I'd been hoping the Cream note would temper the Peony but instead it smelled *exactly* like the floor cleaner they use in the PATH train station in NYC and Jersey :eek:

This story DOES have a happy ending, though: one of my best friends, a dude that some of you know as Othello, had a remarkable experience with this Peony Moon: on *him* it turned into this just lovely light green-tea scent. Fresh and slightly sweet in a green way, this scent is so spring-like and beautiful that it just goes to show that testing on one's own skin is the only way to really know for sure how a scent will work on you. ;)

Not a keeper for me, but a definite keeper for Othello! :D

In the bottle: Almost a candy-like floral sweetness

Wet on skin: Thankfully that candy note doesn't show on skin. It's still sweet though and I get the whole bush, not just the floral. There's a greenness in it too.

Dry: Sweet, soft, pinky pink floral, with some greenness. Nice for those days I want to be ultra-girly! Or if I can talk my daughter into wearing anything other than Agape, this would be good on her.

I'm kinda bummed about this one, I love weeping branches moon and was hoping it would be similar.

Alas- pure dryer sheets. Elegant, upscale dryer sheets. Dang old skin chemistry, I think this might be a winner on someone else. I believe it's well blended, I can smell the sandalwood hinting in the background, but it mostly hides from the florals.

Peony Moon 2013:

I got married wearing the original release of Peony Moon, so all future releases will have some level of immediate love from me.

In the Bottle:

Sandalwood and florals, but the sandalwood is light & crisp, not heavy and thick.

On my Skin, Wet:

Dry, soft sandalwood and slightly sweet pink florals - I don't pull a distinct species out.

There is a very slight fruity-ness to this stage, but it's really subtle.

On my Skin, Dry:

Still fairly sandalwood dominant, but it's still a light, crisp version.

I still get some pink florals, but I still can't pick out a particular variety.

The fruity-ness fades away, leaving a very airy memory of plums.

Verdict:

A very different version of my beloved wedding scent, but definitely in the same class of beauty.

This one is just drier and not as lush as the original.

Still a very appropriate spring scent.

Origin: Straight from the Lab.

Initial Thoughts: I tried the original Peony Moon but something in it was just a little off and wouldn't let me enjoy the scent. Here's hoping that this one works.

In the Bottle: Light, sweet and airy florals. An absolutely gorgeous scent that makes me think of a classic perfume, without the alcohol interference.

Wet: Hello, sandalwood! Please to be letting the other notes come and play? Pretty please?

Drydown: There we go. As I'm sniffing the warm, sweet florals mixing with the sandalwood, I'm chuckling that yet again, as in Peach Moon, I tend to do better with fruit blossoms than the actual fruit. Apricot fruit does not like my skin. Apricot petals seem to be fine. However, the longer I wear it, the more it edges ever so slightly toward the dryer-sheet territory mentioned above. Hopefully it'll go away soon.

Verdict: I'll probably play with this a little before making a final decision.

It starts off green and slightly wet smelling. Refreshing but not watery.

Once it is on a while it settles into a lovely soft floral that reminds me of my sweet peas, without actually smelling exactly like them. It smells like a slightly warm April day, outdoors in my yard.

I like this. It is a gentle scent, stays close to the skin on me, and would be easier to wear to work than many of the scents that I like. It's a little bit like bringing the scent of the garden inside on your clothes, rather than a more obviously perfume scent.

I don't wear floral blends enough to pick out specifics here, but I really love this! Perhaps it is the sandalwood that holds this all together on my skin. At any rate, this does not turn to powder on my skin. Nor does it give me a headache. I feel like I am wearing a sophisticated woman's perfume that passes for traditional, but has Beth's presence. I feel Spring-time sexy while wearing this, without feeling too old or, or too young. I really am happy I took a chance with this one.

I don't think that this is anything like the original Peony Moon, which was a tart, sweet, rose-like floral. It smelled like sweet pink and red flowers, and had an almost edible/foodie quality to it. This version of Peony Moon is very white and soapy smelling. It's like white bar soap mixed with perfumey white floral. It has that clean, watery floral edge that a lot of bpal's Asian inspired lunacy blends have. Way too soapy for me and gives me a headache after a while.

Wet: A lush, innocent-verging-on-womanly floral.

Drydown/Dry: Very pink. A slightly sweet floral with musky sandalwood in the background. It reminds me of blush wine. It’s pretty, pink, and sweet; yet there’s something distinctly adult about it too. It seems to say, “Yes, I’m a lady. But I just might get a little slutty tonight.”

Innocent, light floral peony, slightly soapy. There's an underlying green note, and a brush of lily.

This is a very soft, pink, girly perfume. Perfectly blended.

Soft, office-appropriate, peony.

Starts off strong and perfumey. I have peonies just finishing, (yeah, I live waaay north!) and it smells like a fake version of them at this point. After a bit, less fake, slightly spicy, very womanly scent, as someone posted above. It's rather nice, but I don't do a lot of florals, and this one IS very florally. Nice to try, but not for me.

In the bottle - A slightly sweet slightly soapy oriental floral

Wet on me - A bright green, clean floral

Dry on me - A bright pretty summers day of a scent

Overall - I'm not really a floral girl, but this is an almost perfect rendition of a hot summers day in a garden

peony is one of the weird exceptions to my general anti-floral stance, so i had to give peony moon a try. it's a very light, fresh scent for a sunny spring morning. there's a little green in here, enough that it's more fresh than perfumey. i can see myself wearing this when i want to wear a big frilly floral-print dress and be super girly.

I sprang for a bottle of Peony Moon 2013 right away when it came out. The Asian-inspired scents tend to work well on me and I enjoy these types of florals (peony, lily, fruit blossoms).

In the bottle: This is one of the BPALs that smells more like a "mainstream" department-store perfume to me. Smooth, pink "springy" florals, almost creamy-textured.

No immediate changes on my skin. It kind of reminds me of Bath and Body Works' Velvet Tuberose (not a bad thing, I enjoyed that scent). It's a well-blended floral with no notes particularly standing out. They're springy and light florals, on the sweeter side. This swings more towards "girlish" than "mature", but I really like it.