Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Lex Talionis

The law of retaliation and perfect reciprocity: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, an arm for an arm, a life for a life. The essence of blunt justice: dark myrrh, vetiver, cardamom, violet, black pepper, sage, cedarwood and black patchouli with a clarion note of sharp white grapefruit.

this is so very strong and masculine. not to equate the two. it's not strong *because* it's masculine, but it is both. the vetiver jumps out first, along with the myrrh and black patchouli. (it is not, however, an omg!patchouli scent, in my opinion. for those patchouli haters out there. :D ) i can't pick out the grapefruit but the violet gives it a bit of softness. the clean ceder and sage keep it from being drowned in dark muskyness. black pepper and cedar really comes through on drydown. the whole thing smells somewhat nutty and very physical, almost like body odor but not in a horrible way.

i'm not sure if i like it for myself, or if i would wear it. it may be too masculine. but it's damn good

edit: it lightens up on drydown and becomes less masculine and more all around wearable. it's gorgeous!

edit2: i am so in love with this. it's nostalgic for me in a very personal way. i have a 5ml on the way. it's *amazing*. :P Edited by Shollin

Lex Talionis

The first thing I smelled in the vial was the patchouli. This was a bit unnerving for me because my skin very much amps patchouli and I got a little worried. But, lo, for we have found the first thing I've tried with pathouli that doesn't get turned to funk by my body chemistry. The cedar and the pepper pop up to play, pulling the patchouli down to a very, very dry and manageable place. I didn't detect any grapefruit, but was delighted to smell violet amongst all of those strong, manly scents.

It's not a keeper for me, though I was delighted to find a patchouli blend that wasn't too bad for me. But, I saw that one of my swappers had it on their wishlist and, you know, after all of the generous freebies that came in my package-it seemed right to share the love.

But, all in all, I'd say Lex Talionis is a bold, confident, and strong scent. I don't think it's purely masculine, though with that first kick, one might fear that it is. Don't worry, give it a chance to blend in and I think you'll find it's a pleaser to the ladies as well as the gents.

Oddly enough, when I first sniffed this in the bottle I detected a chocolatey note. Super weird. Maybe its the cardamom that's giving me that impression?

Once on the skin for a little while the violet takes over, but my chemistry seems to amp up florals. The violet only stays ahead for 10 min or so, and very shortly the oil turns into a wonderfully deep, complex, comforting blend. I can smell the pepper and a bit of lightness that may be the grapefruit skittering around the top, but the rest of the oil is so well balanced it simply smells good. Perhaps a bit reminiscent of an wooden box that has contained both spices and gunpowder in its lifetime.

If you tend to like deep resiny scents you simply must try this one!

This scent did the funniest thing on me. It disappeared completely! I've never had that happen before, but nothing about it stood out on me. I put it on my husband and it is reminiscent of Aureus on him, and it smells really good. I originally bought it for me, but it looks like he'll be the lucky one wearing it!

Got this in a swap from Clover. :D

First sniff:

Cedar, something vaguely peppery and a hint of grapefruit. This pepper and citrus temper the dryness of the cedar and lessen its impact, making it softer and less harsh smelling while leaving its general character intact. So far, I love this even if the cedar is less prominent than I'd hoped. :D

Wet on skin:

The patchouli comes out a little and mingles with the cedar and grapefruit and the pepper seems to disappear quite quickly. It's not a fruity or citrusy scent in spite of the grapefruit, which is fine by me, but I wish the cedar was more...well, cedary. I love a good strong cedar note and I wish this was stronger on the cedar and patchouli.

Dry down:

Light cedar and the slightest hint of patchouli. This scent's lasted about 5 hours on me, which isn't too bad. Cedar, for some reason, tends to fade quite quickly on me, so I'm not complaining. :P

The bottom line:

Lovely, but I wish it had a stronger impact in the cedar and patchouli areas. I still like it a lot, though, it's just not going to be my new signature scent is all. :D

Pkwench sent me this!! What a doll :P

When the update went live and I saw this, I was so close to ordering it. It has so many lovely notes in it! But I decided to order something else because the complexity of Lex Talionis scared me off a bit. But thankfully Pkwench sent me this in a swap because it really is amazing!

In the bottle and when first applied, I can smell the vetiver fighting the violet, cardamon, and cedarwood for dominance. These are some very strong, sharp notes. I can see how some people might not like this, but I really love this stage of the blend.

On the drydown this starts to morph. The sharpness tones down quickly and the pepper and myrrh start taking over. It is now much more soft and powdery. I can still smell the violet and somewhere in there is some patchouli. I feel like this is the equilibrium stage established after the initial stage of sharp retribution.

This IS a complex blend. But not scary at all. I'st actually really comforting, which is probably kind of twisted to say about a scent designed to capture the "essence of blunt justice"! But maybe not. In a complex world full of suffering and dishonesty, I do take comfort in the belief in a "law of retaliation and perfect reciprocity".

This is really one of Beth's masterpieces. I love it.

Edited by Theravada

Damn, Damn, Damn!!!!

I wanted to love this so much!!! It is the vetiver! Anything that has vetiver (except Bloodlust) in it just sucks on me!!!

It started out fantastic, very peppery and grapefruit ( :P ) but when it dried down it was replaced with the vetiver.

I guess I will just have to wear it in a locket or something because the notes in this blend are just awesome. I love scents with pepper and grapefruit...

Lex Talionis is exactly what I have been looking for. I am just sad that I won't be able to wear it on my skin.

mmm mmm, I'm glad I overcame my fear of this being too masculine and swapped for it. It smells wonderfully cedary and peppery on me, which just a hint of citrus to lighten it up. It reminds of pencil sharpenings, and old musty school rooms for some reason. I, thank goodness, can't really notice the patchouli at all.

I really like it, but then I liked Goneril too, I'm not sure what it is about cedar but it makes me feel relaxed and safe.

HEY herbs! How ya doin'? After a few moments what I assume is the vetiver falls off, and a more woody scent comes out. Frankly, I smell peanuts, but not in a sweet way at all. Peanuts in shell. I'm not completely certain (because Iambe is on the left hand), but I get a very faint floral overlay (the violet mixed with the grapefruit and cedar). The floral is a nice one, seems victorian.

This definately morphs. The pepper is really coming out now, nice and sharp. I love the combination of the floral with the pepper, but the peanut vibe that I'm getting from the sage/patchouli is really not doing it for me. Very close, though. The pepper/violet is absolutely amazing.

--

later: the notes I'm not liking are really drifting away, and the pepper is really popping out. I think this would be awesome layered with a more straight forward floral, or perhaps a citrus blend. (I'll try it with baobhan sith when I get back to school)

I received my imp of Lex Talionis as a freebie from the Lab. This wouldn't have been one that I would've picked out for myself, by the description.

Now that I have it in the flesh, and on the flesh, my opinion hasn't really changed. When wet on my skin, Lex Talionis is pretty much like a full-bodied smear of cedarwood. I'm not really keen on the scent, the only time I've liked cedar was in Tombstone, and I still gave the imp to my boyfriend. He, actually, made a comment that he liked cedar.

After five minutes, cedar is still the dominant note, but I can smell little tiny peeks of cardamom and myrrh and pepper. After thirty minutes, more of the same.

I think I'll give this to Brent.

-doreen

First sniff: I don’t think I would have guessed this was grapefruit if I hadn’t read the description. The fruit stands out above the swirling dark base of the scent.

Wearing: The sharpness of cedar pops out immediately. I liked the idea of Lex Talionis, but it just doesn't work on my skin.

I think I'm finally honing in on the notes that run amok when they hit my skin. Violet and vetiver, you have been warned.

This blend is very flowery on me. It isn't as loud as other oils have been (in one review I said that I felt like I was being attacked by a bouquet), but it is flowery, and only flowery.

Sadly, it'll go up for swap. Flowers just don't get along with my skin chemistry.

Patchouli, violet, cedar and spice. Out of the imp, I smell a woody scent and citrus, but on the violet sweetens it, the cedar and patchouli give it depth, and I can smell the spices. I don't smell the grapefruit at all. The spices are wonderful, pepper and cardamom. The pepper tickles my nose and the cardamom has that wonderful cinnamon-gingery scent. Violet has a sweet candied flower smell on me, I love what it does on my skin, this one is no exception. I'm keeping the imp, and this may be going on my 5ml list.

Great way to wear patchouli, if you want the grounding of patchouli, but not the head-shop scent. :P

Ordered as an imp based on notes.

You know what the problem with this scent is? It's too simple. Not enough notes. :P

BOTTLE: It's ... busy.

WET: I am scared to try too much so I go lightly on the wrists. I like all of th entoes listed on their own but am concerned about the complexity. Upon application it's interesting but in a good way. No one note stands out yet ... crisp, clean, bright, energized are words that come to mind. I put some more on my wrists an in the crooks of my arms because it's not as strong as I'd expect.

DRYDOWN: Peppery and spicy. Interesting. Not an every day scent and it reminds me of something else I can't place, another BPAL scent. I like it though ...

It's spicy cedar on my skin. Everyone is right, it's extremely complex, I don't think I like it. It's too violet, too pepper, too everything.

On the other hand, I have friends who are more woodsy kind of people than me, and I could totally see them wearing it. It's definately a scent with a strong personality to it.

Some combination of the Lex Talionis name and the dry-dark ingredients gives me an image of wooden shelves and leather-bound books as far as the eye can see (the Borges law library, perhaps...)

Resistant, opaque, and unbending.

This scent was wayyyyy to masculine on me...everyone entering the room went 'ew, oh my god, what are you wearing? scrub it off!'........that doesnt do much for a girl's opinion of the perfume :P

I loved the description of this oil. I only wish that I loved the blend itself. I found it very masculine and hard. Like a piece of wood. Strong. The drydown was better, just not me.

Initial Sniff: Patchouli, cedar, black pepper... and something slightly astringent (what I am assuming is the grapefruit).

Wearing: Vetiver. That's all.

Final Impressions: I don't know why I keep trying scents with vetiver. I like vetiver, I really do. It smells good on me. But it drowns out all other notes on my skin, so the drydown is the same for every scent that contains it.

Very strong at first whiff. Sounds so lovely with the mrryh, vetiver and sage.

As it dried it was still too strong, I think Im getting more of the cedar and pepper as it smells like old wooden chest now.

It's weird.

I don't like regular myrrh in oils but this dark myrrh is nice. I can really smell the spices in this and I love the peppery scent of it.

I was going to review and swap this, but I think I may have to rethink it. :P

Complexe and complicated.

Wet it's grapefruit with patchouli and cardamom, over a dense and mixed bottom line.

Drying the pepper and the vetivert come out, then sage and cedar and, at last, violet.

Very nice, it changes and evolves a lot... quite a contradiction for something as simple as the Lex Talionis. :P

Vetiver! Cederwood! Hint of unrecognizable flowers!

Can't smell the grapefruit, but perhaps that's for the better.

This is a dark woodsy/green/floral for me...I think the dark wood on a springtime evening, when the scent of the forest is about to envelope you...

In Bottle: Patchouli and pepper.

On Skin: Very incensey and peppery. Spicy! Wow! I also smell the musk, violet and vetiver right away. Interesting… what a combination. I now smell the woodiness of the sandalwood. I don’t smell any grapefruit sadly… I like this scent but it’s not me. I have to say it’s the most complex and interesting scent I’ve smelled in a long time though.

Imp sniff: Ye gads this is some sharpness here!!!! I really need to find out what that note is, it's sooo not me. It's like a sharp wood note.

Swipe: That sharp thing is overpowering everything else...I think I can get some of the grapefruit on the very outskirts.

Drydown: The sharp woody note is there along with some light powder (blech, hate powder) and a dash of grapefruit and a couple of notes I can't quite figure out...hmm....

Overall: Well, I don't know what I was expecting, but I don't think it was this. :P It's just really not me and I can't imagine this on my guy, so into the swap pile it goes. :D