Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Somnus

Named after the Roman God of Sleep. This blend helps bring on deep, restful, natural sleep.

All I can smell is lavender...which is usually soft on me but for some reason this one is a little harsh. I put some on my temples and wrists and am seeing it it helps me fall asleep (I suffer horrid insomnia). Will update if it works :P

Edited to add: when layered with TAL's White Light, it makes an AMAZING sleed aid. I had the best sleep last night and it's thanks to those 2 Edited by maddi

Somnus is a strong scent of lavendar, rosemary, and powder. I feel a bit like a granny when I put it on. Unfortunately, it hasn't done anything to help my anxiety-related (:P) insomnia. I think I'll give the white light TAL a try.

Somnus is strong, first off - very strong rosemary/lavender. It means business, as someone else upthread said.

That said? It definitely works. I was out like a light within 20 minutes of putting this on. That's amazing for me, as I usually turn and toss for a long time before drifting off. This is definitely going to be a big bottle for me, because anything that works that well as an insomnia cure is a keeper!

I can barely smell this one. What I can smell, smells like...the vet's office. Pet dander, slight pet urine, bleach, de-wormer, and chemically-ness. Which is not as bad as it sounds, but this is definitely not a great scent. Swap pile for sure.

Score: 1 out of 5

Unfortunately, the lavender in this is the sharp, astringent cleaning product lavender, not the nice, calming lavender to me. It gives me headaches. No go. I think I'll try TKO.

Somnus was a little too perfumey for a sleep blend (at least for me). It smelled strongly of jasmine with a backing of lavender.

I think i'll stick with Temple of Dreams for sleeping...

A really strong smell which is surprising for something that is supposed to induce sleep. I smell lavendar and jasmine. This unfortunately does not work for me at all. I think I will try TAL'S Nocturne and see if that helps me sleep better.

Somnus: I'm here to sing its praises.

I should have reviewed this a long time ago. Somnus is one of my first BPAL loves and I have bottles of it. I don't know what took me so long, but I just recently dumped one of my 5mls into a roller bottle; TAL's Nocturne works nice, Sleepy Moon is sometimes just the thing, I use one of my CT:III blends on occasion, but for me, nothing beats slathering on Somnus before bedtime. There's something about that strong, almost-sour lavender that makes me take a deep breath and just...relax. Like Moxie, it's aromatherapy, perfected.

This is a spicy kick you in the teeth lavender. I'm not sure how that's supposed to bring you peace and put you to sleep, but I don't think it'd work on me. It's not HORRIBLY strong like some other BPAL Lavender blends are... this one *is* a bit more muted. So, perhaps it would work nicely in an oil burner or such, but I just can't see myself wearing it.

Somnus-

In Bottle: Hmm. Floral but sharp, an underlying rot-whiff too.

Wet: Eurgh, that rot-whiff came out sharply. Oh, God, I'm smelling soiled diapers.

Dry: Okay, the soiled diaper smell goes away quickish, but what's left isn't very good for me--powdery-choky, eye-watering.

Overall: Definitely not for me.

imp: jasmine, lavendar, and something sharper - tea tree?

wet: jasmine

dry: rats, jasmine went sour bonkers on me :P

No good on me, I'm sorry to say. I think I will stick with TKO for sleep purposes.

Very sharp lavender, does smell kind of tea treey. Whatever it is, it works for me. Last couple of nights, I've fallen asleep easily and *stayed* that way - normally I toss and turn and I've woken up in the exact same position I fell asleep in. Maybe it's part psychosomatic and part coincidence, but I can't remember the last time I haven't woken up to turn over multiple times a night.

Bottle: lavender and...hm. not sure.

Wet: chamomile, I think. lavender and chamomile.

Dry: slightly soapy...is there lily here? mebbe a smidge?

Later: this is turning into lavender soap on me similar to Nocturne...I'm off to bed, so we'll see if it works... (eta: not so much, no more than Nocturne..next stop: TKO)

Along with the lavender, chamomile, jasmine, I smell the smoke of an extinguished candle. Nighty-night.

Somus is not something I'd use as a perfume, but it is fine and relaxing on the pillowcase.

Lavender, Jasmine... lilies?

It's not something I would EVER wear as perfume, but it put me to sleep like nobody's business. Also, I have been struggling with a particular writing project for almost a month. When I woke this morning it was fully formed in my head and all I had to do was spew it forth onto the page. Also also, this is the first morning in a week when I haven't woken with a headache.

As a perfume? Ugh, not for me.

As a sleep aid? I am going to go through BOTTLES of this stuff.

Smells pleasant but I got it more to actually help me sleep. A tangy metallic smell at first but soft and cloud-like afterwards. Helped me sleep a bit better :P

Well, I don't think there's any doubt that the main note in Somnus is lavender. It's a little sharp on me -- I'm not sure why, as lavender is usually strong and floral on me, but not sharp like this. I'll wait and see if it settles before making a final judgment, though.

Nope: sadly, the sharpness doesn't go away. A few people have mentioned jasmine, and they're probably right; Somnus is doing the Jasmine Thang I try so hard to avoid. The sharpness is making my eye twitch.

I am starting to get sleepy, strangely; it is true that that's sort of my natural state during the day, but I thought I was pretty well rested today. However, I think I'll try TKO for a good sleep blend, since I usually like my lavender mellowed with a good vanilla, anyway.

Scent-wise this is a tangy/sour herbal lavender smell, as others have mentioned. I like it alot, but I think I prefer the smell of Temple of Dreams, which is less sharp somehow.

As to the effects, I didn't really notice anything. It might have been soothing, but I did not experience the "out within 5 minutes" kind of sleep.

So perhaps I need the stronger stuff, like TKO :P

This is lavender, through and through. It doesn't seem much for helping me get to sleep, but in terms of feeling rested when I wake up, it does seem to have a bit of a positive effect in that direction.

Lavender and a soft floral, maybe a gentle herb like chamomile. This one is softer than the other Somnium blends I've tried, and the lavender isn't as strong. It definitely seems like it'll help me sleep. Very quieting and calming.

I've had mixed results with Somnus. The first night I used it, I felt my brain empty most pleasantly, and I was asleep within short order. However, it did nothing to help me sleep through the night (this is my major issue). The next few nights I used it, it took me a while to fall asleep. And then the next few nights after that, it worked. I'm kind of 'eh' about it, actually. It's nice, but I don't think it's the sleep blend for me. I'll use up my imp for sure, but I may need to try some of the other sleep blends from the Somnium line, or Panacea's TKO. If those don't work, I may well have to try some TAL blends.

Scent is a rich, herbal lavender. Did not morph on me.

I'm sick, so I'd been napping all day. At night, I wasn't sleepy, but I knew I needed to sleep anyway.

It was very calming to catch whiffs of this, but it didn't put me to sleep. Once I did fall asleep, it was very sound and deep, and I woke up this morning feeling refreshed -- though still sick, alas :P -- so perhaps this is best used for me in combination with something that will knock me out.

This is very medicinal smelling - must be the lemon verbena type scent most are smelling. Back when I was struggling with sleep apnea I tried putting this on my pillowcase, and it helped me focus on sleeping, if that makes sense. I woudln't wear it as an everyday scent, in an attempt to train my brain into somnus=sleep.

DREAM FORMULA V: SOMNUS

In the Bottle:

mmmm...herby :D

On my skin, wet:

more herbs with a tinge of lavender or violet (whatever it is, it brings a purple flower to mind)

on my skin, dry:

LOL!!! :P I don't make it that far - this stuff really works!

I've reached the point where I instantly get sleepy when I smell it in the bottle.

Dry, the next morning:

that's a little weird - this reminds me of 13 the original formula the next day....

hmmmmmm.....interesting....

Verdict:

mmmm...delicious sleep!

Thank you Somnus!!!

Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: It smells like Sleepy Head massage bar! Lavender & chamomile, maybe some neroli?

First on: Yup. Same scent almost. It's much stronger than I thought it would be though.

Drydown: Ok, now it's calmed down a bit. The scent hasn't changed much except the lavender isn't as strong.

Overall: I can see how this would help you sleep. Don't know if I'll use it, but I'll keep it around for now.