Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

R'LYEH

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. The sunken city of the Great God Cthulhu. A hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves.

dude. maybe my nose is broken from over-sniffage, but r'lyeh is not hitting me with darkness. evil? yes. madness? oh, yes. broody eternity? moo hahahah! as i said in the "i got my order" thread:

r'lyeh is EVIL CTHULU GRAPEFRUIT. it is the GRAPEFRUIT OF DARK UNHOLY DEEDS.

i think i'm in love with it. o_0

it's also spicy and aquatic in a way that just might not go acrid on my skin and deep and rich and not sunny, no, but still - GRAPEFRUIT.

or maybe i'm just insane.

EDIT: no, not insane - it's still ev0l grapefruit. unfortunately, it doesn't work on me. when i first put it on this morning it was wonderful and refreshing yet spicy and grounding. i really wanted to love it. after half an hour or so either the citrus or the aquatics went sour and acrid on me to the point that i had to wash it off. but, as someone who doesn't like or have much experience with citrus scents, this is a kind of citrus that i love. spicy and dark citrus. but into the swap pile it goes, protesting all the while.

Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Grapefruit, melon and pine? Or perhaps *I'M* insane, too?!

Wet, on my skin: Ah, OK. Now I smell some aquatic notes floating to the surface, but the predominant note seems to be grapefruit, or perhaps yuzu.

On drydown: Aquatic and fresh. Citrusy and spicy. Fresher than what I would expect Cthulhu's domain to smell like!

This was completely different from what I expected. I hoped that this would be something dark and somber and menacing - instead it's a beautiful aquatic grapefruit! Crisp and lovely and probably perfect for summer, but far from "brooding eternal evil." :P I don't mean this as a slur because I really like this scent, but this is the perfect thing to wear to the gym - bright, uplifting, energizing and fresh. It's long-wearing on me too and doesn't morph. A surprise, yes, but a welcome one.

R'Lyeah....yes indeed, I concur with my BPAL sisters by saying this is grapefruit in all it's glory. On my skin, it's somewhat herbal-y and cold, but definitely grapefruit nevertheless. MUCH different from what I was expecting from the description. Not at all bad, just different.

I really don't get the aquatic notes until much later, at the very bottom of the dry-down. At that point, the scent has faded considerably into a very pleasant (not at all brooding or evil) blend.

I adore grapefruit in any form, so I'm really glad I ordered this imp!

I really like R'lyeh. True to previous reviews, it is a "aquatic grapefruit" smell. I like aquatics and don't mind grapefruit so this isn't a bad thing. Somehow despite the grapefruit I do get a "murky" quality to the aquatic, which surprised me. It is not so much a result of any note that I can distinguish, as a subtle coloring of the scent. It is like sunlight filtering through murky green water. So I guess what I am getting is neither here nor there. It is not the "crushing black waters" I expected from the description, nor the bright grapefruit I expected from other reviews. All and all, though, I will definately keep an imp of this on hand.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I *didn't* recognize grapefruit right off. Then again, I can't remember the last time I sniffed any grapefruit. Maybe I'm out of practice :P

The one note that I picked out most clearly from this was the ambergris. I really like it, in any case! I found that when I first put it on, and in the bottle, it really made me think of the smell/taste of the children's asprin that you used to be able to get. Now that I've looked in here though, I can definitely pick out the grapefruit. What a nice combination! I'm sure there must be other things in there too, but I like it! The ambergris really mutes the grapefruit, and makes it a heavier scent, but with just a slice of sharpness.

I don't do well with aquatic scents so not suprisingly, R'lyeh didn't work for me. I do get the grapefruit note through all phases but there is a weird, plasticy thing going on with the rest of the notes. My skin always does this with aquatics so it's not the fault of the oil :P I just love the inspiration behind this scent and hope Beth comes out with some more in the series, hopefully on dry ground :D

In vial: aquatic, grapefruit, a bit dark.

On: Wow, grapefruit straight up. Sweet pink grapefruit at that. This phase is weird.

However, as it dries, the aquatic becomes more murky and the citrus takes on a chilly quality, like deep water is cold, which is rather appropriate. It ends up as a dark green sort of smell, and I do get an image of shafts of light descending into the depths.

I love the idea and the pictures it evokes, so I'll be hanging on to the imp just for that even if I don't wear it much.

R'lyeh is definitely aquatic, but not really menacing. Which I'm actually glad of. I had been putting off trying this one because I don't like to be scared by my perfume. :P

At first it smells like the ocean, but with flowers or something sweet. It smells like salt water taffy. Aquatic scents are usually totally gross on me, but R'lyeh is not. It would be a great scent to wear to the jersey shore. Or after a day at the beach. Or when you want to be reminded of going to the beach.

Wow. It's really a nice, light scent.

I'm so impressed by R'Lyeh. I'm a sucker for imagery so as I was sniffing my wrists and reading the lab description, I could definitely smell menacing waters!

It smells the same both wet and dry for me, though wet I get a it more of an incense pop. When it dries, the layers blend together better.

I can sort of smell the grapefruit others have mentioned, but it's more like those dark colored grapefruits doused in sugar. It doesn't have any of that bitter citrus feel to it.

This smell reminds me of the bodies of water where you're like, "I don't think I want to swim out there!" Think of the LotR part by the pond at the entrance to Moria...that's the first image that comes to my mind.

It's a nice aquatic blend with a bit of sugared citrus in between. I'd say it's dark, but not your typical dark that involves lots of incense, musk and patchouli. It's a fresh scent. That makes it that more foreboding -- a fresh, evil scent sounds like a bit of an oxymoron.

I would have never ordered or swapped for R'lyeh on my own, but the Lab generously threw in a freebie imp of this in my last order.

R'lyeh is pretty much all grapefruit on me - not the juicy part, mind you, but the rind. As the scent dries down, I think that I can detect the ozone note, but it must be a small component of this scent because it doesn't dominate on my skin like it normally does. All in all, an interesting scent but one that I doubt that I would wear much so it's headed for the swap pile.

In the bottle: Plan, simple grapefruit.

On my skin: This is a sweet pink grapefruit, perhaps with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top. It is a ripe and juicy scent.

Drydown: There is an aquatic note meleding with the grapefuit that now alternates between pink sweetness and a darker undertone as if the fruit were about to rot. It shifts between sweet and dark as if Cthulhu were trying to lure you into his domain, hoping that you don't notice the faint element of rot and depth underneath.

There is no long-term for me with this scent. I have had it on for about half an hour and it is almost completely dissipated. I am terribly dissipointed because I love the pink grapefruit element of this scent and it would need constant touching-up to last through the day.

Edited by darkling

Salty grapefruit? What the...?

In the vial this is dark, salty, aquatic and I swore it was sea water. Creeepy. On my skin I was surprised to find the grapefruit coming through. Salty grapefruit as the aquatic stuck with it for a good half hour. This was a really fresh but disconcerting blend. Insanity? Quite. Dark? I'd definitly go for wierd and unsettling. At the bottom of drydown it was mostly a faded citrus but fresh still and the sea salt aquatics peeking back through. This was intriguing and while I couldn't stop smelling my wrist, not quiiite me. Off to swaps.

Mmmm, this one is goooood.

I don't really get the evil grapefruit. In the vial and wet both, there is a freshness there, but for me, no grapefruit. That's fine.

After drydown, it was all a dark, insencey aquatic scent. Wonderful! No swimming here, or the elder gods might keep you!

First sniff: Yup, grapefruit! It’s quite a bit lighter than I expected from the concept and the colour of the oil.

Wearing: Ooh, ooh ooh ooh. R’lyeh is simply gorgeous. Sections of white grapefruit floating in a clear crystal bowl of water… and crystalline patterns of frost tracing the outside of the bowl. It’s lightly fruity, aquatic, and cold. I like.

Origin:

Got an imp of this from Mrs.Black. :D

First sniff:

Vaguely aquatic but sweet smelling, almost like those Sour Patch watermelon candies they sell at the movies. Strange, but true. :D

Wet on skin:

Aquatic, like Water of Notre Dame is aquatic...it's tranquil smelling but with a strange sweetness over top of it that's making me think of sugared pink grapefruit now....or more like the Sour Patch grapefruit candies (I know, I know...again with the candy comparisons!). I'm not sure what to make of this, it's very unusual and not headache inducing like most aquatic scents are for me.

Dry down:

No real change from when it was wet...it's reminding me of something I can't quite put my finger on. It's almost like sugar water strangely enough, which is totally unexpected and not at all unpleasant. I'm just thrown by how light and sweet this is...I would have expected something dark and unnerving, not light and almot comforting, but then my reactions to oils have little or nothing to do with the descriptions most of the time, so maybe it's not totally surprising.

The bottom line:

Unexpectedly sweet and almost summery smelling. I don't know what's in it, but it reminds me of eating watermelon by a lake. H.P. Lovecraft is spinning in his grave! :P

R'lyeh is about water for me, so it seemed appropriate to mix up a batch of bath oil with some of it.

Letting my head float in the bath with the water over my ears, steam hanging over me, I absolutely got some Lovecraftian horror from this blend.

I could taste metal. There is a saltiness to R'lyeh, and the grapefruit has a cold, oily quality that made me think of deep water, dense and black. I also got something vaguely green in the background, enough to make me think of kelp forests.

After the bath I felt as if I'd washed up onshore from somewhere far away -- which is pretty much the sensation I've had from Lovecraft's better stories.

In the vial: Without a doubt, it is grapefruit.

Wet: Sweet, juicy grapefruit with the faintest hint of sugar. It reminds me of summer and makes me thirst for lemonade. LOL

Drydown: It's still grapefruit, but the aquatic notes are starting to meld with it. There's something vaguely murky and spicy about this stage. I can't put my finger on it. It's fresh and light, definitely, but there's something in it that makes me uneasy.

Final thoughts: I like this! It's not quite what I expected from the name, I'm not sure if I sense Cthulu or any of the elder gods in this, but it's nice.

In the Bottle Oceanic darkness

Wet Deep watery depths, cold angry waters..... wow the first aquatic I have ever smelled the wasn't light or airy...... Wow, this is WOW. Powerful. Not in the strength of the fragrence but in the weight of the feeling it conveys. It's the destructive powerful side of water, tidal waves, typhoons, and hurricanes.....

Drydown I don't pick out grapefruit on this...... more like swirling dark water and evil salt water taffy if that makes any sense. lol. The emotion it conveys is akin to that of being a very small child playing in the ocean and you see a large wave rising and coming towards you. It's part fear and sense of a power bigger then yourself, and at the same time awe at the beauty of it....

Two Hours Later It's pretty without being sweet. Dark swirling blue has faded a bit. Still powerful, but the scent is in the background...... there is an underlying spice or musk that could make this one gender neutral.

Verdict Interesting fragrence, but ultimately not for me....

This smells like clean and fruity bodywash when wet on my skin. Very light, quite nice. For some reason, I smell berries in the background of R'lyeh, perhaps raspberries? It's quite juicy, maybe it's mandarin orange or the grapefruit note that others are catching. Either way, this fragrance is light and fruity. It would make a fantastic spring or summer scent.

I received this imp as a freebie from the lab, and it's a good thing, as it's one I would never order myself. As soon as I hear "aquatic" I think "sea salt" and I turn my nose away. There wasn't a bit of salty oceanic tang in this for me, and that is a good thing.

-doreen

I got this as a freebie.

In the bottle: Mmmm.... grapefruit.

On wet and dry: The first thing that springs to mind is Oceanus from The Body Shop. It's been years since I've actually smelt Oceanus so they're probably completely different - faulty memory no doubt, but I'm going to make a point of going to TBS and sniffing the Oceanus. The grapefruit disappeared almost instantly when I applied R'Lyeh and essentially it's faded down to a pleasant, slightly salty aquatic. It's pleasant but not outstanding. I may get a 5ml but it's not at the top of my wishlist.

at first: the lab included this is a freebie. it's very watery, but with a hint of something sharp and citrussy.

on: this is strong, but it's hard to pick out any notes. i think i smell some sort of fruit.

3 hours later: very powdery, and almost soapy.

6 hours later: very light, but a bit too sharp.

overall: nice enough, but i wouldn't get it again.

uhm. at first, it smells like diet soda with lime. maybe diet cherry soda with lime. something fizzy. and i'm not really liking it. not one bit.

later, however, the fizz fizzes away, and r'lyeh it settles into a nice, soft scent. somewhat powdery. it is here that i pick up some grapefruit. it is amazing how much this changed on me in the last 2 hours! i didn't get anything dark or menacing. i get spring afternoon. . .

i like this enough to use the imp, probably not enough to consider a big bottle.

I didn't particularly get EVIL from this. I got grapefruit, like a grapefruit spritzer kind of drink.. and it was yum. so I put it on... and it was kinda like grapefruit peel, not completely grapefruit..

I had sniffed this once a long time ago and sat it aside.. Now I like it and shall add this imp to my keeper collection.

Perhaps I'm one of the few people that did find this evocative of R'lyeh. Like Nyarlathotep, this is a citrusy scent, and that sweetness is what makes this scent so compelling. It's the hook that draws the nose deeper into the scent where itt discovers: darkness, insanity, and the ocean depths. Like Mad Hatter, you take a whiff, and pause and smell it again, because the combination is fascinating and distracting...

On me this scent blends very nicely. The citrus is dominant, but the aquatics and the darker scents linger forebodingly, weaving in a hypnotic way. The scent lasts like this for nearly 5 hours, growing fainter, until what's left is a dark incensy scent like the shadow of the sleeping god.

I love this scent, and I've got a 5 ml on order.

R'Lyeh Haiku,

Dark waters tremble--

Great Cthulhu awakens!

Grapefruit for breakfast.