Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

The Lady of Shalott

this was a gift from witch's dagger. thank you! :D

The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

In the Bottle: Something floral, and yet something that smells like a vegetable. Like celery.

On Skin: Something overpoweringly bitter. Perhaps the Ginger? I smell whiffs of the gardenia.

On Drydown: I can still smell the bitterness overlayed with the floral. It just doesn't work for me. :P

Verdict: This combination and I don't get along. *sigh* I'll put it up for swap.

In the bottle: gardenias and aquatic notes

First on: bananas? I swear that's all I smell. I hate bananas. :P

Drydown: Unfortunately this one is not for me. When my nose gets close to my wrist I start to gag, so I'm not sniffing long enough to find out what all the notes are, but I still get that banana scent, the gardenia, and the aquatics. Maybe almost a cocoa too, but the bitter powder cocoa.

I'm sad this didn't work out. Now off to wash my wrist.

I received this scent as a freebie with another batch of imps, so even though I'm not normally a big fan of florals I gave it a try because the ginger came through in the bottle and it smelled like it had potential :P

Once on my skin, everything went away except an overpowering scent of gardenia. I started sneezing and after about 10 minutes had to wash it off :D A good scent for someone who likes gardenia/florals, but sadly, not for me..

This was one of the first imps I picked up -- I was lucky enough to have a friend send it my way. The description sounded so intriguing, esp. the part about rocks and water, that I couldn't wait to try it. I was thinking of that part in Anne of Green Gables, when Anne plays Elaine on the Lake of Shining Waters, and is rescued by Gilbert. :P

In the bottle:

Gardenia is the most pungent note, and something else sweetly floral, but I certainly smell the aquatics underneath. It's a strong scent, very rich.

Wet:

Still strongly floral, but the smell of clean water is getting sharper. Neat. I like the way it takes the edge of the sweetness. I'm looking forward to seeing how this dries.

Drydown:

Water, water, water! "Tart" indeed. Maybe a little too much like dishsoap. An hour later that calms down, but now it's kind of nondescript, just an average white floral perfume. Very little staying power. Glad I tried it, but not a keeper.

I tried this on my friend Rachel, and she got nothing but SOAP, and then back to tart water smells. Hardly any florals at all. Chemistry, you are so strange...

Edited by sophia_helix

lily of the valley, gardenia, light spice...holy mother of God this is phenomenal!!!!! :P

beautiful, gorgeous scent for my chemistry....again...that lasting factor rocks

my world :D :D

i smell oh so fabby..... :D

In Bottle: Gardenia extreme.

On Skin: Wow, this is a strong Gardenia floral. So white and pretty, I would love this as a room scent but it may be a bit too heavy for some people. The aquatic notes make it so fresh and the ginger gives a nice spice to the overwhelming sweetness of the scent. I wouldn’t wear this scent since it is so strong, but I really love the feeling it gives. Beautiful.

Bottle (Imp): Slightly sweet and quite fresh.

Just On: Very very green.

An hour or two later: Gorgeous green herbs.

Around 6 hours: This is almost totally gone, just barely herby.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: Very nice.

After reading other reviews: I didn't seem to get the flowers, the soap, nothing like what so many others did. I like this one.

The Lady of Shalott reminds me of Queen Gertrude, which is why I keep on thinking there's violet in this scent (there is, I swear!). Basically, I get a hint of gardenia, with clear, pale white musk with lovely aquatics and what I think is violet. This is a really lovely scent.

First Impression: Floral - Lily or lotus, I think. Not really sure but it's gorgeous.

Dries down to: Pretty much the same - a clean, fresh floral. The mental image I get is just picked flowers from the garden, with the morning dew still on them, in a crystal vase in front of a sunny, open window. I'm pleasantly surprised by this one - I really like it.

Additional Comments: This is another "genius" blend. I don't usually like gardenia but, with everything else in this, it's behaving like a well-mannered lady. Muguet is one of my favourite scents and that's what was coming through the most for me. The ginger and aquatic notes are a perfect counterpoint to the richness of the gardenia. This is going on the "Big Bottle" list.

Lasted: At least 10 hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

I wanted to like this one so, so much because of the name...but alas. It's just too sweet on me, and there's a hint of bananas that I don't care much for. I didn't really get any of the aquatics, sadly, either. Into the swap drawer...

In the bottle, this one smells like freshly cut grass and flowing water to me-- pleasant but relatively unremarkable. Putting it on, however, brings out the ginger and the florals in such a combination that it goes almost fruity-- very round and sweet, but in an organic sort of way rather than a candy way. It was nice but pretty "Eh", until I wore it at... (TMI Alert, whooop whooop), ahem, that time of the month. My skin yanked Every. Single. Note. Out and amplified them a hundred times; it turned my opinion on this one from relative indifference into mild awe. It's still round (I think it's the musk that gives it that depth) and floral in an aquatic sort of way, and a little spicy, but it's beautiful and has incredible throw and staying power... I'll be hanging on to the Imp and slathering myself in it around the full moon, if you know what I mean. :P

Water notes and a burning nose (ginger?). Nope!

EDIT: 10 minutes later goes really bitter on me. Hoo does something in this one NOT like me!

Next imp!

Edited by Muppetk

I think I might have a problem with some gardenias. There is something in this blend that freaked out on my skin, and made super-mega-gardenia. I honestly can't smell anything else in it...except a little hint of something sharp. It's just not working on me. I'm so sad that it doesn't, because I love the poem... :P

The Lady of Shalott is a very fleeting fragrance on me. It only lasts about 15 minutes on my skin. It's so sad, it's gorgeous when it first starts out. I get gardenia, which smells green and a tad fruity on my skin. Then I get the most wonderful aquatic scent. It's dark blue and slightly salty water. Deep, flowing, and a bit chilly. Then the entire blend goes soapy and fades away into oblivion :P

Much as I like this poem, the scent doesn't seem to like me.

Even when it was just in the bottle, the floral scents kind of overpowered everything else; I couldn't detect much ginger at all. When I actually put it on, it turned me into guava and bananas and other heavy-scented tropical fruits. I think it's the gardenia; it just doesn't like me.

In the bottle: Floral and something really bitter, myrrh? smells like bitter celery root in the dirt.

Dry: there has to be myrrh in this, or maybe I am right and the White Musk reacts badly with my skin. I get flowers smashed by the scent I mentioned above, a bitter celery root covered in dirt.

ETA: I see zankoku_zen said much the same thing - I totally agree with her review.

Edited by AlaskaSnows

This is a very beautiful, aquatic, floral scent. This, to me, smells almost exactly like Mr. Bubble bubble bath.

The flowers and aquatic note are really well balanced in this one, underneath the two is the smallest hint of spice.

This is a fresh, clean, girly scent. I can definilty appreciate this one, however it's not for me. My skin hates most florals blends.

6/26/2010 edit:

Just received a frip from The Lab. I'm going to revisit this scent...

Ha! Yep, I still think it smells like Mister Bubble.

The gardenia note in this goes to bathroom spray on me but evertyhing else is really pretty.

I can appreciate this one but it's not something I would wear.

Edited by Monster

Mr. Bubblebath! I couldn't put my finger on what was familiar about this scent until I read courtneylynn's review. Very similar.

It's a very watery lily scent on me.. kind of soapy. It's pretty, but very light, it fades within an hour's wear. It's kind of a young scent, it smells a bit like one of those cute little perfumes that come with certain barbies or dolls.. bubbly and sweet and floral.

Pretty but not me.

Oh, so fleeting! This is beautiful, and interestingly enough, the only note I can pick out is a faint ginger one. This is light, ethereal and wispy. It makes me feel calm, but a wee bit melancholy. I find it interesting that BPAL scents can evoke so much. I received this imp from a kind swapper, and I'm glad she included it. It's beautiful. I applied it sparingly, and I believe I may slather on more next time to encourage this beauty to last on my skin.

Bottle: Lovely white, watery florals. There's a kick of sweetness reminiscent of sweet peas, but it isn't overbearing thanks to the aquatic note. There's a wisp of bitterness lurking in the background. Smells absolutely delicious, I hope it doesn't change...

Skin: CHRIST, the second the blend hits my skin the water is gone. There's an overly sweet quality to it that reminds me of rotting hay. The candied mold eventually leaves behind the scent of freshly cut wood. And then? Cinnamon, like Christmas candies I grew up eating.

Skin, Later: Gah, it just gets worse. Strike 'absolutely delicious' off the record. There's this sugary, fungal scent of wild mushrooms. The earthy odor only intensifies as crumbling forest decay and walnuts! Seriously! There's this papery, nutty scent that reminds me walnuts beneath decomposing wood.

Verdict: The water note(s) desperately tried to break through the mustiness, but didn't have the strength needed for a coup. The scent faded within minutes on me, leaving a peculiar remnant of discount perfume (too artificial, too sweet, etc.). I really, really, REALLY wanted to LOVE this one, but my body had a different opinion (bitch, whore, skank!). Lady of Shalott = swap fodder (grr!).

I'm crushed. I wanted so very badly for this scent to work on me.

Alas.

In the bottle, it smelled almost exactly as described... but a lot more.... toilet-y. Could it be the gardenia?

In all stages on my skin, it smelt overpoweringly flowery, not at all the achingly gentle floral I was hoping for. The longer it was on me, the more I smelt like the bathroom freshener aisle in the supermarket.

:P

This poem by Tennyson and the paintings by Waterhouse are gorgeous, but it was when Loreena McKennitt set the words to music, that the Lady of Shalott formed a huge association for me.

I was going through a period of grief in my life, and would come home, lie on my couch, snuggle under my favourite afghan, and put on The Visit by Loreena, while I let the tears flow. Part way through The Lady of Shalott, her voice and the words would calm and lull me into a floating sleep, much like the lady lying down in her boat, floating down to Avalon. I even dedicated a personal web page to the poem and to Loreena, for comforting and aiding me through that difficult time.

The pictures in my head were of such wondrous beauty of towers, forests, lakes and love unrequited that it would be hard to imagine any scent could do it justice.

And Loreena, herself, who is now associated with the song and poem forever more, is also a gorgeous, ethereal, pre-Raphaelite creature, whom I have been lucky enough to have seen in concert numerous times. My fondest memories are of sitting in a field, with 20,000 others, in Bird’s Hill Park, at the Winnipeg Folk Festival, the entire park and its residents silent as we all listened to her play her magical harp and sing these words. :P

So, on to the scent. It starts out very sweet and innocent as the Lady in the poem was. At first, I thought it was too floral and sweet...I wanted more of the forest and the tower captured in it. But as it dries, it morphs into a more watery and moody floral and it is gorgeous! I am still forming an association with the words, song and Loreena to it. But, I think it does the Lady and her songstress the justice that they deserve.

I feel a bit rusty here...it's been a while since I actually wrote a review...sheesh!!!

Will do my best...since I get on and wear more BPAl until I do this long overdue opinion regarding Lady of Shallot. I have been wearing her on and off since late summer..so it is time to do her justice. So..let's get down to it shall we???

Initial sniff from bottle:Gardenia, gardenia and more gardenia...a chilly gardenia if you will. I don't know why..but when I breathe deeply..I get a chilly sensation..have no idea how Beth does it.

Applied wet on skin: Still gardenia..but not so chilly now...still cool..but not chilly. Following up fast is some sort of other floral..must be the muget...definitely has an aquatic feel...but not along the lines of Shattered..this is aquatic floral sans mint...sans salt...a freshwater aquatic if you will...

A couple minutes on skin:Still the gardenia and muget...still get the aquatic floral feel...I am not registering any tart aquatic notes...but if I breathe deeply at this point, I can get a touch of the ginger..but it's waaayyyy in the back.

I definitely find this an enormously wearable floral for me...not too heavy..more like a clear watery floral...crystalline and cool...this was great in the summer.

Dry on skin: Same party on my skin..this stayed fairly linear on me..which is not a bad thing at all..I very much enjoy it.

Staying power on me is about 3-4 hours...not so much throw on me..but this little gem is not about assaulting you with its fragrance...for me this oil draws you in quietly.

Bottom line:I am glad I got the 5ml on just the description-it is to me a bit of a cool watery floral that hints at a bit of chill...perfect for summer.

Yay, my first imp! Looking over the site, the name caught my eye first; "The Lady of Shalott" is one of my favorite poems. When I saw that it had muguet (which my body chemistry loves), I was dead-set on it.

In bottle: omgwtf gardenia. Also, the aquatic notes noted in the description, and maybe a bit of musk. Absolutely gorgeous. It seems oddly haunting and familiar for some reason. I keep thinking "mirror", which I guess is appropriate. XP

Just applied: Very floral, and of course my old friend muguet is popping up to say hello. Rather bittersweet with the aquaticness underlying it.

Drying down: Some green notes coming to the surface now. They work really well with the muguet. A slight muskiness, but with none of the problems I seem to have with musk sometimes.

Dry: So perfect. The notes all blend together, one occasionally surfacing over the others, then plunging back into the mix again. I smell like a dew-covered bouquet of flowers. Maybe it's an overblown metaphor, but it works. This scent has a sadness and a warmth simultaneously; it's very evocative.

Verdict: Definitely buying a 5ml, possibly a 10ml, at some point when I'm less poor. :P Ah, another unsuspecting customer hooked.

in vial: very sweet, almost candy like gardenia (makes me think of watermelon candy)

wet on skin: It is a BIT less candy-like and I can smell the floral gardenia. I can definitley tell it is an aquatic. However the gardenia is a bit too much, when gardenia has a 'too sweet its almost sour' endnote, I usually don't like it. I like lighter gardenias.

dry on skin: I can definitely sense a sort of sadness, loss, maybe even grief? Gardenia tends to do that alot to me though, with those emotions. There is this slightly bitter note that I can not figure out, it clings to the end of the gardenia. It makes it almost sharp and cold.

Another one of those notes that remind me of something, but its always a vague something and I can never figure out where I've smelled it before. It reminds me of menthol maybe? very slightly. It makes the gardenias smell sharper.

few minutes later: it makes me think of something gone sour. something rotting? the sweet smell of decaying flowers? but its not exactly unpleasant. It also reminds me of crying. I think I would want to wear this scent when I am crying or very sad.

more minutes later (now completely dry) the sour and sharp smells have gone away, and I am again left with a much lighter version of the sweet candy-like gardenia. And I like it. I don't know how often I would wear it as I'm not too mcuh of a floral person besides some roses, but I would wear it when I am sad. It seems as though it would be very comforting to wear.