Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

The Lady of Shalott

The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

Bleh. Apparently me and gardenia do not get along. I was prepared to love this, and it does have some slight wistfulness that reminds me of Shattered's effect..but the gardenia kills off the notes that otherwise would have been nice. Sigh. Edited by Shollin

Imp: gardenia, aquatic and the ginger

Wet on Me: a nice blend of the gardenia which is softened by the muguet and aquatic. It also keeps the white ginger from going over board

Drying Down/Dry: this all blended into something light and soft and floral with a hint of ginger to kep it from going overboard. I like this one!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I probably avoided this one at first because of the musk-word. Since getting into BPAL I've learned that the lighter musks sometimes behave on me. Still not sure about the aquatic notes, but I've been looking for gardenia lately and needed to round out an imp pack.

In the Vial: Watery ginger over a faint floral background.

Wet: Very light ginger musk, very aquatic.

Drydown: The gardenia blooms and tones down the aquatic to a level I can handle. The musk has not amped alarmingly as musk can do on me.

Verdict: Keeping the imp. We'll see whether I use it fast enough to need a bottle.

My skin amps aquatics and gardenia; they are also 2 of my least favorite notes. It happened as I feared with the Lady. It was horrible first on and near drydown. The far drydown was faint florals - not worth suffering through the first 2 stages.

Wet: Gardenia! There is a slight sharpness which is probably from the ginger.

Dry-down: It becomes a bit salty and very watery, like crushed gardenias in water, or walking along a beach lined with gardenia on a sunny summer afternoon. The aquatic scent makes it smell a bit department store-ish, but it still reminds me of a very sophisticated Edwardian lady in a white visiting dress, strolling along the streets. (I just checked on Google and the painting is a bit different from what I imagined, but at least its still a sophisticated lady in a white dress!). Ginger lends it a bit of warmth.

Dry: Very lady-like. The gardenia is apparent throughout the whole process, but it's tempered by the salty aquatic and the other notes. It doesn't have a "sad" feel to it, and it doesn't remind me of the Lady of Shalott painting, but it's a beautiful scent nonetheless. I love how it's flowery and slightly salty with the warmth and spice of the ginger in the background. When it's dry it loses the department store feel and just smells wonderful, like actually smelling the flowers itself. Absolutely beautiful.

Edited by Shollin

I tested this not expecting to like it at all. I wasn't very familiar with gardenia, but I think of it as one of the "big, stinky white flowers" I dislike; I'm a floral fan, but I tend to go for rose and violet and peony and tulip. To my surprise, this is really, really nice, so I guess I like gardenia after all. XD It is a big stinky white flower, but it's muted by aquatic notes and sharpened by ginger (which I amp, and I'm very thankful that's not happening here). I get an almost banana smell out of it; that's what I would liken the gardenia to, a banana-y flower. If you like florals, it's a lovely blend, powerful without being cloying.

Wow the throw on this one is amazing!

This is unique. Crystalline musk is standing out with the gardenia. Swirling and sad. Isn't really something I identify with, however I'll keep it around for it's intrigue factor.

I love gardenia and I just had to try this.

I don't even mind that it's all gardenia (in varying degrees) from start to finish. At the beginning, it's very heady, in the middle it's slightly aquatic and towards the drydown, it's just very sweet. I'm still pretty bad at identifying specific notes but I'm guessing there's some crystalline musk in this. I don't get any ginger, thankfully. And it's lasts up till the next day! Need more!

This is watery and floral, but I get a faint musk that keeps it interesting. It's an interesting mix of cool and warm. I'm not great at picking out the individual floral notes, and I wish I got anything I could identify as ginger, but this is nice.

I don't love florals, but this seems to be all the things I liked about Ophelia without the overpowering rose to drown them out. I don't think I'd wear this every day, but for the times I'm feeling very girly, it'll be perfect.

A slightly minty floral. After a bit, the coolness that reminds me of mint fades a bit. It just smells really white and pure. Reminds me a bit of White Phoenix. Not really what I like anymore...

This is one of my all time favorite poems, and I love the song version as well, so of course i had to try this. While its not as melancholy as I was hoping, its very pretty. Definitely a watery scent, its also very fragile. The flowers aren't overpowering or cloying, its more a translucent, floating kind of feeling. Like floating lazily on a crystalline lake on a clear day with the scent of the flowers along the banks wafting through the cool air.

Very understated and delicate.

Wet on: watery, with a green undertone, and a bit of gardenia peeking through. It's a lighter scent, almost crisp.

Initial drydown: very similar, a wet gardenia smell, but a lot lighter than Sacred Whore of Babylon, and minus the vanilla warmth and sweetness. This is a cooling scent, with an undertone that reminds me of traditional perfumes. I think it's the gardenia, it just automatically makes any scent a traditional floral perfume on me.

And after a few hours, it's faded until I can only smell it if I really huff at my wrist. This one's nice enough, but still a probable swaps. I'm just not a huge gardenia person, and that's the most dominant note on me.

Wet: Mmm, a tiny bit soapy but pleasant just a whisper of the sea, light subtle florals

Transition: more sea and just a bit soapy. It goes a little sharp, florals are nearly gone.

Dry: The sharpness left. I wish the aquatic was just a teensy bit less strong so I could still smell the other notes. There is something really alluring underneath but it can't quite make it all the way to the surface. I guess the name really fits, eh?

A While Later: soapy but in a nice warm clean but floral way, not a harsh soap smell, slightly aquatic still but now it's in the background.

Verdict: I think I'll hold on to the imp. Good for smelling fresh and clean at any rate, but not really bottle worthy.

Edited by FelicityTwitchell

Wet, fresh heady floral. Dry, this is pretty much single note powdery gardenia. Funny that I love the actual scent of gardenia, but not in a perfume. Pass.

Frimp from the Lab - this is a favourite of a friend of mine who I enabled to BPAL, so even if this doesn't work, I have a nice gift for her :D

In the imp, this is white ginger and fresh aquatic notes, it smells like a milder Sea of Glass / Archangel Winter.

On wet - yep, definitely a sweeter Sea of Glass! Very pretty. Florals, especially the water blossoms, come out well, and the aquatic notes and ginger cool them down.

Drydown - the comparison to Sea of Glass continues, except now the florals take over a little more. The floral sweetness keeps me from really loving this, but this is such a spectacular perfume for people who like florals! :D

The Lady of Shalott

Wet: Mainly gardenia with a hint of the lily of the valley/muguet. There is a bit of spice to it thanks to the ginger. Mostly, it's strongly sweet white florals. White musk is sweet on my skin, as well. There is a an aquatic edge in this blend that makes it feel fresh -- it's not salty, more like the scent of a river or lake. Salt notes tend to go bad on me, so I'm happy that this is an aquatic-feeling blend that works on my skin. It's a really nice scent! The Lady might be too floral for me to wear often, but I think my mother would like her (lily of the valley is her favorite flower).

Imp: Reminds me of a country club.

Wet: Fresh, clean, soap. Sour tint of gardenias is making this a little strange. I smell like one of those fussy rich ladies.

Drydown: Faded soap.

Dry: Faded soap.

Rating: 1/5. It's a pretty scent in the imp, but it's not for me.

Another one of the frimps I got in my purchase bag from the last Brick and Mortar sale.

In the Bottle

Very clear smelling – but not in terms of having no scent. It's hardly that. But the image of clear cold water comes to mind when smelling this in a bottle. Gardenia and the muguet are the most prominent.

On Skin: Wet

Mmmmm, gardenia. Bit by bit I get more muguet and white ginger. Very lovely and a blessed relief after having so much bad luck with testers as of late.

On Skin: Dry

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed I'm not picking out more of the water notes. Still lots of lovely gardenia, though.

Afternotes

Still no waternotes, but this oil is pretty long lasting on me.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale of A to F, A being best, I would give this a B.

The reason I say this is because of two things... First, there was something about this scent that didn't quite resonate me. Nothing turned foul or plasticy on me, but just nothing really jumped out and said "THIS SCENT IS FOR YOU". Lastly, I've actually worn this twice – both times I found myself not paying attention to any possible morphs since I was at work and distracted. So, honestly, I'll need to give this even further assessment – but for now the pending grade of "B" still stands.

I'm discovering, to my dismay, that some aquatics end up disastrous on me, especially if they're white floral-aquatics. Case in point: The Lady of Shalott.

Imp ordered fresh from the Lab. The very first time I tried it:

In imp: Dark water, watery like Water of Notre Dame, but with a sweet edge.

On skin: Dark floral water. I can smell light, white flowers, but always swirling in water. There's an edge to the flowers, possibly from ginger. The deep, brooding waters eventually recede, leaving ginger and darkened, gently spicy white flowers. A gentle scent, melancholy and sorrowful, very evocative. Colour impression is a deep aquamarine.

Oh yes, the Lady is lovely! She must be a winner! But on all subsequent tries...

In imp: Pungent, hot white flowers with a touch of water!

On skin: Aie, there's NO WATER! instead it's a pungent white floral. There's a spicy, slightly peppery touch that may be ginger, but from start to end the Lady is now all spicy, thick, soft, and very high-pitched white flowers. And these flowers aren't pleasant at all; I may have to avoid gardenia and those unnamed "water blossoms" in future. My beloved aquatic notes are nowhere to be found.

All this to say... I'm rather puzzled and frustrated! Some floral-aquatics, like Water of Notre Dame, remain watery and pretty, but that's the minority. The Lady of Shalott, Szepasszony and R'lyeh have all pulled this stunt on me, somehow losing their water and becoming nasty white florals. *sigh* I guess I'll stick to the grassy/airy aquatic blends, which have been way more successful. But The Lady of Shalott broke my heart. I love her story, and wanted to love her scent. Alas, not meant to be.

Lady of Shalott

In Imp: Mere floral. Not sure I like it.

Wet: Floral and something else earthy (ginger). It makes me think of being in a boat on a flower strewn river. I can almost smell the wood of the boat!

Dry: The ginger is taking over and making it a spicy floral. Not bad. Definitely makes me think of the Renaissance.

Overall, I like it. I probably wouldn’t buy more of it, but it’s a rather pleasant floral day scent. I also think it may be better suited to someone older than me.

Smells like flowers drowned in a still pond. I told my boyfriend it smelled sweet and sad....he gave me a funny look. When I told him it was like that Nirvana song that goes "I miss the comfort in being sad...," then he understood.

It's a lovely scent, and I love the aquatic green notes. However, it's very light and doesn't last long on me.

I can smell an instant burst of freshness out of the imp. The water blossoms are palpable, and it's also very aquatic. The Lady of Shalott smells very similar wet, but at this point, the gardenia becomes bolder and more alive. As it's drying, I'm not detecting any ginger. I don't get musk out of this, either. Dry, it's the same story. It's a beautiful blend. It doesn't knock me off my socks but I will enjoy my imp.

This...was really weird on me. In the vial and wet on my skin, it was very melony. It was quickly dominated by a plasticky, slightly rubbery scent as the melon faded into a sort of background sweetness that seems vaguely floral, maybe the gardenia? As it dries, the Lady acquires a slight sour note that seems linked to its plasticky-ness. I'm inclined to think that the "aquatic notes" aren't agreeing with me.

Overall, a very unusual scent that I was very curious about and therefore which I'm glad I tried but which ultimately definitely isn't for me. At least now I know to be careful of aquatic notes, which I'd never tried before.