Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

This is a beautiful scent! Clear, pure and classy. Citrusy and floral with a background of salty aquatics.

I'm definately getting a big bottle of this. It'll be perfect to wear to my best friend's wedding in June.

Mandy

So this is what an aquatic is like! I'm really liking Sea of Glass. When I first put it on, I got that citrussy note some people have mentioned along with the aquatic freshness. After a couple hours, the saltiness comes out, and the scent goes more diffuse---less like I'm smelling it than feeling it. A good choice for summertime or close quarters, when you want to smell fresh but not overwhelming.

I am not experiencing the allergic reaction other have mentioned, but then I've already been so congested these days that I don't think I could tell.

Ancientgirl

I hate descriptions that don't give components, and would never have gotten this without having a chance to take a whiff of it. So I'm glad it showed up in a meet-'n-sniff, because it's lovely! Fresh on, it's extremely aquatic with a citrus tang -- grapefruit, I think, rather than lemon. As the drydown proceeds, the citrus fades back (Beth's citrus notes never last long on me), and something light and sweet comes out to take its place -- some sort of white floral, I think, though I can't pin it down. It continues to be very aquatic all the way thru, which is good. Staying power is moderate to good; I topped this off after 8 hours because I was going out for the evening, but I could still smell it before I did so.

Bottom line: Nice, relaxing, summery scent, light and sensual without being overwhelming. Definitely a keeper.

Sea of Glass is very light and ozone-esque on my skin upon application. There is a light saline element to it, but not quite as salty as Jolly Roger. The floral element to it is very light on my skin. The overall scent is quite fresh in the beginning moments of contact.

It smells nice, but after a while, I do find this floral/ozone combination to be a bit too salty for my tastes. I can see how Sea of Glass could be a favourite among some, but I think the fragrance is too light and salty for me to consider it as something I'd wear regularly.

-doreen

For some reason aquatics don't like me. (I wonder if it's because I'm such a serious Earth sign?) There seems to be a hint of citrus, a lot of salt, and something I can't place in this. Anyway, it's not going to work for me.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Aquatic

Preconceived notions: I know I've tried this before, but I don't remember anything about it, and the description lends me no clues.

In the imp: Citrusy and a bit floral, and definitely aquatic. Interesting.

On skin, wet: Bright, but not as sharp as I was expecting. Citrus and something like ozone.

On skin, dry: Something's turning what could be a lovely Dressing Up scent for me into a distinctly soapy... something. It reminds me of a hand soap my Aunt uses, that she gets from some small company in France -- it's a lovely smell, fresh, bright and aquatic, but it's definitely soapy, and beside that, a bit too... I don't know, girly? Light?

Conclusion: Odd; not bad, but odd. Soapy. Not my type of thing at all. I'm more along the lines of vanilla and herbs and spices, not so much aquatics and... whatever else is in this. Nice, but not for me.

For the first half hour Sea of Glass is 100% ozone (vaguely smoky fireworks smell to my nose). A tny bit of citrus fades in and out.

This blend has about zero throw on me. I can only detect it if I actually sniff my elbow.

Verdict: A nice, clean scent good for a hot day but problematic. Maybe one to sneak into a "scent free" office?

A light, pure, crystalline aquatic. I actualy like this a lot more than I like most aquatic blends; this one is so utterly.....clean! It's definitely a white scent, with some very unoffensive florals and an almost powdery fresh undertone. This is how I would like my clean linens to smell :P A very nice scent, probably not something I would wear very often.

I wanted so, so much to like Sea of Glass, I really did. I love clean scents, and the descriptions I read of this blend made it sound perfect.

And in the bottle, it was - a lovely crystal-clear scent, sweet without being cloying, fresh without being sharp.

On my skin? Air freshener. Acrid and nose-wrinkling.

All of the predominantly aquatic oils I've tried so far have done this to me. It's very disappointing. :P

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Well, with no notes to guide me I didn't know what to expect. For some reason I was thinking the Dead Sea and imagining something dusty, dry and desert-y.

In the Bottle: I get watery, faint florals. It's a very light scent.

Wet: A light, clear, green watery floral. This is what I would have expected from the Lady of Shallot (is there a Lady of Shallot scent yet?). It's kind of a faint version of Ophelia, definitely living up to the description.

Drydown: This stays very faint on me all the way through and fades pretty quickly. As it does, the aquatic notes take over and leave almost nothing of the florals.

Verdict: Well, it's nice, but so light. And I tend to prefer florals to aquatics, so the wrong half of the notes faded. WIll be swapping this one.

In the bottle this is all crystalline notes that I recognize from aquatic blends such as my Chaos Theory II and Lightning, ice-like notes similar to those in The Evening Star and Snow Moon... very odd. This is airy and light and ... vaguely floral. I think I detect lilac and wisteria with a dash of water lily and possibly some sweet pea or carnation as well... hmm. On me wet, I know that there is lily in this blend because it comes to the top with a bang. Drying, there's a good deal of is that crocus?! in this... and once it begins to warm, the wisteria settles as a strong pale base that the lilac can flitter over as it desires. This is very whimsical and light... not exactly unpleasant but decidedly airy spring florals that don't mix well with my chemistry at all. After a time, this goes to a vaguely powdery old lady's perfume and after that it's just not pleasant anymore.

bottle:

aquatic, but not too masc. hint of floral

wet:

mild aquatic, soft, touch of florals, nice!

dry:

still very much the same, aquatic, clean, lovely! My throat is starting to irritate me though, I may be allergic!

overall:

great scent! Throat tickles, need to try it a second time to confirm.

rating: 7/10

it is only normal for HennaFairy and I to do this one after the other... we split a bottle :P

This scent has the best name ever, as it matches EXACTly what the scent is! It is a very clean aquatic scent... clean and crisp.

It pretty much is the same in the bottle, on my wrist, and hours later... Lovely!

Oceany aquatic notes with splashes of citrus.

Slightly like fabric softener sheets... which is okay since my fabric softener sheets are ocean breeze scented. :P

I love these oceany sea ozone scents... they're so uplifting. I definitely want a full bottle of this.

In the bottle: The strong glass note is the first thing that catches my attention. I'm afraid because my skin amplifies this note like nothing else. Hall of mirrors gave me a headache.

Wet: The glass is still strong, but it's more subdued by the aquatic notes.

Thirty minutes: This smells like an ocean, but there's something very sharp in it. I'm thinking maybe it could work for me. Were I to give it a color, I'd say a dark prussian blue. Like a stormy sea.

Dry: It's aquatic, sharp, slightly citrussy, but it's too strong. I like it, but i'm not batty about it. it's okay. I wouldn't order it though.

I got it as a gift from arcticghost. I never thought that aquatics were my thing and never ordered any. I tried a couple aquatic frimps the Lab sent me with orders, and my opinion stayed the same. Until now. I love Sea of Glass.

It is clean, very bright, fresh (but not green or citrusy). It has a citrus note in there, but it is soft and does not dominate the blend. It is calm and watery, and smells like lilies of the valley covered with dew early on a crisp summer morning. Sea of Glass has surprisingly strong throw for being a soft aquatic, and lasts 2-3 hours on me. Great for summer. I keep reaching for it, I would just have to get a bottle of this.

In the bottle: Bright, white floral ozone with some lime.

Wet: I get ozony flowers, white and slightly rubbery flowers, I wonder what these are. Iris or daffodil, perhaps.

Drydown: I get very pure air with a whisper of flowers. It's pure white and very... floaty. This will sound weird, but it smells spongy and soft like you'd imagine a cloud would feel. Unfortunately it also smells quite rubbery, so it's flowers and clouds over rubber.

Overall: It's a very pretty blend, but I don't think it likes my skin chemistry very much. I think it's probably iris, which frequently goes off on me and either smells like plastic or like "old lady's" perfume. It moves from creamy to rubbery powder all the time, which sort of breaks the bright, smooth clouds feeling. Such a pity.

Grapefruit and white flowers. Sea of Glass smells even better on than it smells in the imp. The grapefruit in this isn't overpowering at all. There is a bit of saltiness to this also. Sea of Glass is so light and calming. A definite summer scent and a large bottle want!

In the imp: Wet, citrusy, cold. Suggestive of yuzu or grapefruit, maybe lime?

On, wet: Much as it was in the imp.

Drydown: The citrus is less marked; it's more of a straightforward aquatic. Long-term drydown is faintly spicy, almost suggestive of amber.

Really lovely, although it doesn't quite displace Szepasszony as my favorite aquatic to date. Still, definitely something any aquatic fan should check out.

Sea of Glass is an aquatic floral that is incredibly fresh, clean, and evocative of that “golden hour” of the day when the sun is setting, casting a deep, yellow glow over everything in your line of sight. The floral is white and heady like gardenia or magnolia – difficult to identify. It has a similar “dryer sheet” smell that Tears has, but not as strong as it is in tears. It unfortunately has a very sharp note in it, and I’m not sure what it is, but it’s the same sharpness that I sense in Tempest and in Lightning, and it is a note that I find highly offensive, and thoroughly ruins this scent for me. I think I’d like it otherwise, and I wish I could figure out what that scent is that doesn’t work for me so I wouldn’t keep getting oils with that note in it! The throw is pretty good and it lasts a good long while.

I'm getting all saline and ocean notes from this one. I liked it in the imp, and it was OK on me, but I asked my Mr. to try a little on, just on a hunch - he likes Cool Water and other oceany scents, so I figured, "hmm, let's see..."

I like this better on him than I do on me! :P Very clean, very crisp and cool. I've handed the imp off to him.

In the imp - Very crisp and pretty. Has the slight sharpness of an aquatic.

Wet - The most noticeable scent is that of lilies - like the big white ones that are in churches at Easter. Also ozone.. maybe a touch of pine?

Dry - All lilies. It smells *exactly* like a church at Easter. It's pretty, but I wanted something more aquatic, and the aquatic saltiness fades too quickly.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I get straight dryer sheets from this. It's clean and pretty, but nothing I'd wear on a regular basis.

In the bottle: Light, pretty, vaguely aquatic. Also a slight citrus bite to it. I like it a lot. Smells just like it should (based on the name).

Wet: Comes off a bit more floral (not sure which flower though, smells familiar but I cna't place it). The citrus went a bit chemically on me, which I think is just my normal skin chemistry...lemon always turns bad.

Dry: Alas, my skin chemistry hates me. What smelled so beautiful in the bottle smells vile on my skin. I have no doubt this would smell delicious on someone else but the fact that my skin hates lemon has now turned this into a bitter, chemical cleaner smell.