Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

Frimp from the lab:
OMG... this smells exactly like standing on a beach with the warm salty sea breeze blowing in my face!

It's a warm, clean aquatic scent with a hint of ozone freshness.
Beautiful. Edited by Shollin

I didn't think I would like this because normally I don't like anything with an aquatic tone in it.

Was I ever wrong.

I will have to go back and read the reviews after I have written mine because this scent reminds me of something (it is a top note that I can't pick out) that is drop-dead sublime. That being said:

In the imp ~ Tuberose and the seaside

Wet ~ Something that I cannot place which is driving me nuts ~ but I LOVE it. Oooooo... so gorgeous. :D

On the drydown ~ this is like taking a walk on the beach. I have no clue what I am smelling ~ but this imp will be treasured and kept and used... and I am ordering a 10 ML bottle with my next order.

I ADORE this scent!!

:P

This is a very energizing fresh scent.

It seems to me to be a mix of Szepasszony and Lightning. It has the clean crispness of Szepasszony (but without the flowers) and a bit of the electric tinge in Lightning.

To me, this smells like lilacs and waterlilies - not at all what I expected in terms of notes, yet the feel of the scent definitely has glassy smoothness to it. I don't notice any ozone notes - which is good, since they usually give me a headache. I also don't get the citrus notes others have mentioned. The spring flowers are lovely, natural and light, yet lasting. I find it refreshing and rather sexy.

In the bottle: Crisp, fresh aquatics. Incredibly clean smelling, although not quite "beachy".

On my skin: This went from the clean aquatic scent I first smell to a clean lilac scent after application. I'm not really a fan of aquatics, but this one is really quite lovely.

Later on: There's a bit of a soapy edge to this now, but it's not enough to annoy me or scrub furiously at my arm trying to get it off or anything.

Right after application: Lemony and yet there's an undertone, something I can't quite put my finger on, which is making it rather masculine. Beginning to suspect that, despite being a well-crafted scent, this one may not be "me", if you know what I mean.

Five minutes later: Ozone beginning to rear its head. Ozone often gives me headaches. But what the heck, I'll try Beth's ozone and see if it works any better.

Ten minutes later: HEADACHE of DOOM.

*washes off; applies Undertow*

Wow.

This is very soft and definitely aquatic in the bottle.

On me, at first, it was a little weird but slowly became tangy and fresh. What it really reminds me of is being outside in the spring on the first really warm day after it's rained gently for a little while. Very clean and pure without being too sweet or overpowering.

Love it.

In the Bottle: Sharp, biting and crystalline. It’s like a stab in the chest with an icicle.

Wet: Yah this doesn’t smell all that great. I don’t know what it is but it’s just not all that fantastic as I had hoped.

Dry Down: Oooh deffinately a scent to pass on to the husband.

I received this imp in a swap from lorajc - thanks, darling!

I love aquatic scents. I always have, along with rose scents. Aquatic/ozone scents are, for me, for those days when you want to feel peaceful. Sea of Glass smells like peace in a bottle: cool, crystalline, a lake in winter that's not quite frozen over but no waves break the surface.

Initially, I smell something green, like juniper, underlying the aquatics. It lends a freshness to this scent that brings to mind the woods on a cold day - flowers dotting the ground here and there, but it's cold, clean, and fresh.

As it dries, the greenness goes away and the aquatic note comes back to the forefront. It's like a second-skin scent for me; it fades quickly to this soft freshness that I can catch whiffs of here and there - just enough to keep my mind at peace.

I think I'm going to need a 5ml of this soon. This is lovely.

Rating: 4.5

Mmm. . . my favorite scents always very vividly evoke a pleasant memory.

This one is floating down Itcheetucknee, a natural spring in Florida. It's crystal-clear icy spring water in the oppressive heat of a Florida summer, damp moss along the shore, fresh tree-filtered air, and sunshine breaking through the canopy.

Dazzling light, like looking at the sun or seeing sunlight reflected off the ocean… that’s Sea of Glass. Aquatic with perhaps water lilies or other flowers that grow in water. Fresh, clean, crystalline/see-through and/or perhaps the palest blue imaginable… pure… and a bit soapy.

This scent doesn't morph on me at all. It starts as a clean aquatic. It ends as a clean aquatic. It has a sharp salt tang like the wind off the ocean (but not a driving wind--more like a refreshing breeze on a hot day), some sweet/tart citrus, and something sharp which must be the ozone (which I'd feared would smell like the air on a smog-alert day but instead smells like the air during a thunderstorm--prickly, but clean).

I keep some of this on hand for when I need mental clarity. I also find it soothing--I prefer to live near the ocean, and find walking along large bodies of water, gazing into large bodies of water, and traveling across large bodies of water calming. One whiff of this, and I'm centred and rational and ready to take on the world.

sooo not what I expected. A delicate and fleeting floral. For some reason it reminds me of Snow White -- not note wise, but feel. Maybe because it's white florals? I am not sure. Really pretty and surprising. Not aquatic to me in the least. I can see why this is such a comfort scent for so many on the forum. i bet the BF would like this one on me.

n.

Sea of Glass

I expected nothing of this, it was for a friend. If anything, I guessed that the "sea" and "glass" would mean aquatic and ozone, which are bad on me. Instead, it's a fresh youthful floral, lilies of the vally perhaps. It dries a little sweeter, with perhaps a hint of vanilla, very girlie and innocent and not overly majestic

Scent in bottle: it's a very clear, cold, floral acquatic scent.

Scent on me:

Wet -- I have no idea what this smells like. It's some specific flower, but I'm not familiar enough with floral notes to tell which one it is.

Dry -- Fresh grass. With that same flower in the background. It's a lovely, calming, spring-like scent, with a very sharp overtone that's almost....grapefruit peel? My skin chemistry is weird. This would be a great scent to wear when I need to focus.

I want so very badly to like this one... I've been aching to try it since I first found BPAL. I don't smell anything aquatic about it on my skin. It's this lovely spring floral that I seem to be allergic to- just enough to be irritating without sending me into fits of sneezing... I'm beginning to wonder if I'm allergic to tuberose, possibly? I'll have to keep a watch out for that note. I get some lilac out of it, but mostly other florals, and it all sort of melts together in a very soapy way, and I'm SO depressed that it doesn't work... :P

Very clean, ozone, aquatic scent. It's like finding a clear, cold fresh water river during a hike......or like walking on a Maine beach on a chilly spring day. Aquatics can be either hit or miss on my skin. This one is a stunner! I would guess there's some water lily, and maybe grapefruit or lemon blossom.

In Bottle: Clean ozone

On Skin: Super aquatic… but also floral. Maybe a lily? And a slight ping of lemon. Also slightly salty and bright. It reminds me of a few of Beth’s ozone scents, especially Lightning. I like that it is so clean and fresh, it’s a perfect scent to wear when you need clarity or inspiration. It is a little sharp and tart on me though, so it’s not one I’d wear. I could see this on a woman or man, it isn’t really gender specific. It has medium throw and lasts quite a while. A very nice scent.

From the imp, I thought this would be an overwhelming aquatic, but it turned out to be a clean, crisp citrus smell, kind of grapefruit-y. This'll be perfect as a refreshing summer scent.

This is delicate on first application, an airy, aquatic floral. The sort of fragrance you would wear on the boardwalk in the spring. It's pretty, but rather generic on me.

As it dries, the white floral notes become a little clearer, but the blend overall is soapy. Nice and calming, but not for me.

I love this, it's so green! It's not herbal green, it's green like the light glinting off the armor in Excalibur. Like, magical penitent green. I like the mystery of not really being able to distinguish notes, but it's not too sharp. It's like buttery citrus fresh and it lasts a really long time.

In the vial: Lily of the Valley

On my wrist, wet: Cold, slick, aquatic lily with something vaguely grapefruity in the background. This reminds me of a rounder version of Dunwich.

After 20 minutes: This smells almost exactly like Dunwich on me. Perhaps a little saltier. This is not at all a bad thing.

After an hour: Sea of Glass really didn't change much over the course of an hour. It lost a little sweetness which was replaced by a slightly salty tang, but it ended up smelling so much like Dunwich on me that I doubt if I'll buy a bottle of this. Don't get me wrong-- this is a gorgeous scent. If you don't have Dunwich, then avail yourself of Sea of Glass. As I tried this before reading the description, I was hoping for an olfactory interpretation of the other reference to the Sea of Glass in Revelation: "And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire, and them that had overcome the beast, and his image, and the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass, having the harps of God..."

In the imp: grapefruity citrus and ozone. Another 'holy crap that's very very full' imp, but I managed not to spill any this time.

On me, wet: ozone and aquatics - it's an airy scent with moisture and a weird plasticky rubbery edge to it. It seems like an androgynous scent.

On me, dry: This is very much what I think of as ozone - that type of blue-grey, buzzy scent. It's not an entirely different smell from that of a new computer, actually, I guess - a technology scent. The longer I wear it the more it becomes pleasing to my nose.

Verdict: I like this, and my SO likes this, possibly even slightly more than I do. It smells a bit more futuristic than I expect from BPAL scents, but it's a great scent nonetheless. I might even want a big bottle of this.

In the vial: green and aquatic.

On: Green, ozone, freesia. This smells like my garden after an early summer rain shower. Delicious and one of my new favorites! A definite big bottle purchase.

This one is really, really wonderful! If this is what most aquatics smell like, then I'm definitely a fan! I wore this one on St. Pat's this year and got a TON of compliments. Someone on the board in an earlier review said it reminded her of emeralds, and I simply must agree. Green glass--clear, green glass, like they used to use for soda and beer bottles--Rolling Rock Green, perhaps? But I don't mean to cheapen it by comparing it to a beer bottle--it's more about color. A scent that's all about God's light and love. This is truly glorious! Beth, again, you've outdone yourself! Adding this one to the Want Big Bottle SOON pile! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. . . :P