Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

I can't really add much that hasn't been said, but this is simply beautiful :P
If I want to feel feminine and pretty, I wear Sea of Glass. I get the most compliment on this oil than any other blend.
Deep blues and greens, fresh ocean winds, waves with white peaks against a craggy shore...sigh
I love it, and it loves me.

Sea of Glass - a freebie from modesty_blaise! This one has been diluted with a carrier oil, so might be a little different.

In the bottle: A tinge of lemon, but mostly a fresh, clean scent.

On me: Wow! Aquatic, ozone, a hint of citrus and white flowers. Mmmm....

This one is so pretty! :P I can't describe it any better, but it is really delicious. It doesn't really smell like the ocean to me, rather like Monet's "Waterlilies" picture would smell.

Just beautiful. Perfect for summer! :D

First sniff- smells fresh, and green-blue. Like a picture of the earth from outer space.

On my skin- somehow herbal and aquatic at the same time. I feel like the lady of the lake wearing this.. I feel like I should be wearing long, silvery white robes. It's a very evoctive scent. I love it, it's so different.

What it really reminds me of, now that I think of it.. is how my mother smelled when I put my head on her chest when I was a child. Clean, bright and warm. I'll wear this when I need a bit of home.

I finally tried Sea of Glass today. I am dying for fall scents and it is still too damn hot outside to wear something heavy, so I thought this might be a nice, refreshing scent to help me feel cool.

In the bottle, it is very fresh, ozone, water. It is practically a dead ringer for my beloved Tempest. Wet on the skin, it's still giving me the Tempest vibe. After a few minutes, I start to pick up hints of other notes - citrus? And maybe something herbal. It is quite lovely and fresh.

Drydown is still faintly ozone and aquatic, but the herbal element has come to the front. I do like this scent, but it is similar enough to Tempest for me that I won't be getting a bottle any time soon. Maybe when my Tempest runs out I'll switch between the two.

In the bottle: Exactly as I imagined it - light and aquatic. (This is the scent description that made me want to try BPAL, kids.)

Wet: I think this has a bit of an incense in it, underneath - but it's still mostly a green aquatic, watery floral scents. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Drydown: The aquatic is a bit of a background scent now, with the watery florals at the front - though I've noticed that my skin really, really likes florals in general. It's clean and pure and very "wearing a white dress while walking on the beach"-smelling. It's a perfect summer scent for me.

Verdict: Another big bottle for this one, for sure. It's absolutely gorgeous on me, relaxing and almost holy-smelling...I think that might be the undertone of incense I smelled. This stays very true to itself, with only the aquatic fading into the background. I've been asking people to 'smell me' all week, so that they might help me make descisions, and my friend Tom from work really liked this one. He kept coming back to me and asking to smell my wrist again. It's gorgeous and light and crisp, and perfect.

The description for Sea of Glass sounded so great, and the reviews sounded exactly like what I was looking for. Thanks to Minilux (a THOUSAND thanks again for the wonderful imps) I tried this.

In the imp: Strong white florally wetness.

Wet: Citrus, the white light floral again, a tinge of wetness (maybe the ozone mixed with the citrus, not sure yet.)

On me: Heavenly! The scent I got when I just moved my arms around was ocean spray without all the salt. Just smelling the wafts was like a very slight sweet grapefruit in a lilac bush on the beach, up close it's all lilac bush and cold sand and lake.

Overall: I want to use this for a daily perfume, for baths, for a room scent, for meditation, and DEFINATELY as a pillow and body mist before bed. It's perfect for meditation and sleep. Oh wow!

In the imp: Salted citrus! Oh, boy! That did not smell like that when I uncorked it a day or so ago.

Wet, on skin: The citrus fades into the background, and then the salt tang takes over. It's what makes it from smelling like those generic aquatic scents, that almost bitter salt note.

Drydown: the salt fades back a bit, but it's still really pretty. The florals are coming out to play on this one.

Eight hours later: it's faded almost to a whisper on my skin. Almost like holding a shell up to your ear and listening for the waves.

I think I'm going to need a big bottle of this, pronto.

Edited by Miyabi

Smelling this made me think of water lilies floating on a beautiful pond. Sea of Glass was a semi-soft aquatic scent. It didn't last very long on me, but it made me feel cooler the instant I put it on. This is saved for very hot summer days.

Very glad Cielamara let me try this one. Sea of Glass is *the* scent for aquatics-lovers. Pure, crystalline aquatic. And it didn't turn nauseating on me like some aquatics have done. A calm scent--brings to mind a perfectly smooth lake reflecting the sky. Definitely a freshwater scent. Aquatics, though, always seem very masculine to me, so this is not the sort of thing I'd wear often--but I admire it very much. Water of Notre Dame is still probably the aquatic of choice for me--it has more of a feminine cast for girly Piscean mermaids like myself. :P

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

In the vial: Oh my god, is that... lilac? IT IS. I'M GOING TO CRY IN SHEER ECSTASY. Except that it's muffled a bit by an unpleasant aquatic note that brings this scent halfway between fabric softener and soap. I'm going to cling for life to that hint of lilac as I dab it on...

Wet: Fabric softener is down for the count, and it's now a battle between lilac and soap. Soap is unfortunately pulling ahead. It's a lightly floral-tinted Dove sort of soap, not the same soap I get from rose.

Dry: YES! The lilac finally told the soap to sit down and shut the hell up. Could it be? Could I finally have found a blend with my precious, precious lilac as the star of the show? I keep breathing it in in disbelief. Yes, it's still a little soapy, but it's undoubtedly lilac.

An hour later: LILAC IS VICTORIOUS! All traces of soap are pretty much gone, and the lilac is dominant. It is pure and authentic. It's not a fresh, dewy bouquet but one that has been sitting in a glass vase for a few days, throwing it's scent around the room as it dries out slowly. Since I can only connect this scent to lilacs, I don't get the imagery that I imagine this blend was supposed to provoke, of water and serenity; however, I can certainly see the purity, crystalline grace, and light in this blend. It's innocent, chaste, and elegant.

Overall: Why is it that the day after I made my third pending order to the lab, I find the lilac blend of my dreams? This simply is not fair. Now I'll have to hunt the swapperies for a bottle, or accept painfully that it'll be a few months at the least until I get one from the lab. Regardless, Sea of Glass is most definitely on my bottle list!

This had very little change in it from bottle to drydown -- a sweet, watery citrus scent, which I can pretty much only compare to other aquatics I've tried. It didn't have the strong ozone of Storm Moon, the weird lotion smell of House of Mirrors, the overwhelming lemon of Lightning, the heavy orris/lotus of Water of Notre Dame, or the sickly gardenia of Lady of Shalott.

It was much clearer and more floral than any of those, and quite pleasant, though not distinctive enough for me to really crave. I really wish there were less or no citrus in it, though, because it seems like all the aquatics have a bit and I'm looking for one scent that doesn't.

This smells like cool clear water, like completely colourless water lapping round your feet on a white sandy beach or early morning dew on spiderwebs. It's a very fresh scent and I like it, though it's not really as sweet as I was hoping it might be.

A blue crystaline floral/aquatic. Lily of the valley? lilac? I really am not a floral girl...and there is a saltiness, a sharpness...this would be great as a shampoo or linen spray...not 'rich' enough for me as a perfume. Dry, the florals get a bit creamier, but not much. I'm kind of sneezy...

In the imp

Sharp, aquatic, crystaline clean smell. I detect white flower of some kind , and a strong linen type scent.

wet on me

Still sharp, but mellowing. Florals start really blooming(lily of the valley?) and the crystaline scent becomes a bit powdery.

Dry down

I smell gardenia ( I think) now, along with the lily of the valley. It's a creamier, rounder scent, with an aquatic tinge to it.

It's very pretty, and I will keep the imp!

I tried The City in the Sea before I tried this, and I think they complement each other beautifully. Sea of Glass is a still beach scent - beautiful calm waters with florally/citrus overtones. It is the smell of summer holidays to me. Fresh and clean and beautiful.

Sea of Glass is not my normal pick, but I'm in the market for a scent that reminds me of sunny afternoons at the Jersey shore so I included it in my last Lab order. I'm not usually attracted to light, aquatic, florals, but Dirty worked on me so I figured I'd give this one a shot.

Right out of the imp it's STRONG floral to me, and it makes me cough. After the intial blast, I get a very summery clean linen scent. Very reminiscent of Dirty to me, and I'm thinking this would make a stellar bedding spray. Even on the drydown I'm not getting any of the citrus or salty notes that I was hoping for, but very much a light clean lilac and I'm suspecting a hint of honeysuckle?

Definitely a warm-weather scent. Pleasant, light and airy. It makes me feel happy. I'll try it again in the summer.

In the imp, I smell lovely fresh lemons. On, they show their aggressive side and become very strong, bitter lemons. For some reason though, I like it anyway. Dry I get cloves. Why am I smelling cloves? A bit later it smells as though I were standing on the edge of a cliff, watching a storm out at sea. My, this is lovely. I think I need more.

Oh wow. I will never know what took me so long to try this. This is the most beautiful and appealing aquatic fragrance that I have ever smelled before in my life. I'm in love with this and I normally don't even like aquatics.

First on it is very chilly. Like standing on the top of a cliff and watching waves slam violently against the rocks. A salty spray is on a chilly breeze, whipping all around you.

In the drydown, this gets a bit warmer. It's like being underwater and watching rays of sunlight shimmer off of all of the greens and blues.

LOVE :P

I'll be getting a 10 ml of this for me and a 10 ml for the boy.

In bottle: Light, clean, white slight floral. It is very tranquil, and still. It does indeed seem like a reflective pool of water. Quite aquatic, but thankfully it isn't salty.

On me: It dries very quickly. Very much a 'clean laundry' sort of scent to me. The white florals are familiar, but unidentifiable for me. Beautiful and clear, it could be masculine or feminine. It reminds me a bit of Calgon's 'Morning Glory' but much, much better.

I’ve had the worst luck with aquatic/ozone scents. On my skin they develop a sickly sweet Kool-Aid smell.

But not so with Sea of Glass!

It stays just as clean and refreshing as it smells in the bottle. Definitely evocative of a perfect day at the beach, immersing yourself in the cool salty blue water. I’ll wear this when I feel nostalgic for summer.

Wet this is a very clean smelling citrus. When first on it smells like freesia, sweet pea or maybe lily of the valley. Reminds me of bathroom air freshener. After a couple of minutes it smells like grapefruit and becomes very soft with hardly any scent! This is a light, aquatic scent. Seems almost “business like” to me. This is not really my type of scent but would be a good everyday scent for people who like aquatics.

Sharp, reflective, ozone. It's a zinger, with an underlying citrus note that doesn't come off purely as citrus, but more like the memory of citrus.

This is predominently ozone on me though. It's very cutting, very clean, almost sterile - but alas, not for me.

I shall stick to House of Mirrors for my "glass" intake.

2/5

It's really hard for me to describe this, because this smells just like a lotion I had bought from MMU. The scent's name had sea or glass in it. I liked it okay as a lotion, and I like it still as a scent, but as a scent, it seems too concentrated. It's sweet, with a tang of salt. It also seems like a crystalline sort of scent.

In the vial: I'm getting ozone and something very fresh and citrus-like. Orange, maybe grapefruit. No, definitely orange. I peeled and ate an orange today and it smelled exactly like this.

Wet on wrist: The orange immediately begins to duke it out with this floral, ozone note. Wow--that ozone really hits the back of my throat when I sniff.

Dry: I've concluded that my skin either loves or hates ozone, because that's all I'm getting now; just amped-up hairspray, unfortunately. Flashing back to high school at the moment....

The drydown is a cheap perfume mix of dust and Aqua Net. I guess when my skin chemistry decides to go and trash a perfectly lovely scent it doesn't mess around. I'll have to try some of the other ozone scents and see what happens, but this does not bode well. Bummer.

In the imp: Mmm... soft and aquatic and floral with just a little citrus. Teh good. Not a realistic sea scent at all, but hey, the throne of God is probably not just out in the middle of the Pacific or anything.

First on: A little salt kicks in, but that's cool... recently a lot of smells have been going WAY salty on me. This is kind of a mix of Desdemona and Lightning.

Dry: The florals vanished leaving the pure "aquatic" scent... what is the name of that note, anyway? It's really nice.