Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

Wet: light, delicate citrus

Drydown: light florals with a touch of ocean air and citrus

Dry: It sweetens a bit and the notes blend into a very clean, clear scent that somehow manages not to turn soapy. It has quite a throw for being such a light scent.

This is quite nice. It's not me at all, but it's lovely enough that I'd wear it from time to time despite that.

6 out of 10 bones Edited by BoneBone24

Everyone has already said (quite beautifully) much of what I would have said about this one.

Simply put, this scent is perfect.

This scent evokes grace, tranquility and pristine beauty (and yes, quite like Tolkien's elves. That's a fantastic comparison).

Well done.

I love this for the same reason I love Kumiho. It is light, citrusy and floral. It becomes more floral on the drydown. For being such a clean scent, it's not too delicate. It has decent throw and lasts for hours. It's like the scent of florals being carried on an ocean breeze.

in the bottle: smells like elizabeth arden's green tea (which, great - i used to wear all the time)

on me: lemon at first, but then BLOND WOODS. that note overwhelms anything else that might be in the scent and gives me a headache. (it's also in both clinque's happy heart and dkny's be delicious fresh blossom, and it's something i never smell in the bottle but it amps ridiculously on my skin. and like sea of glass, i think those scents smell great - when they're not on me. :/)

can't wear it, so it's gotta be a swap.

Edited by sessile

Preconceived Notions (concept borrowed from Penance): I was expecting it to be aquatic based on the "Sea" in the name.

Imp: Very lemony. I think there might be a light white musk or something here as well.

On my skin, it's light, lemony, fresh... It smells like tea with freshly squeezed lemon in it. Not that there's really a tea note, but the overall impression is the same. Very tart lemon. It's not unpleasant, but I prefer my lemon scents a bit sweeter. Getting more light musk as it dries down.

It's nice, and I don't get citrus at all, but it's too floral for me. I think there's gardenia in it, maybe?

My female friend says it's almost exactly like Avon's "Sunny Skies" but slightly less fruity.

I was hoping for something more clean, like linen, maybe slightly more aquatic, and didn't expect it to be so flowery. It's really beautiful for a woman, though. My friend loves it and is going to buy some probably.

Everyone talks about "citrus" and "aquatic" with this one... I don't get that at all.

What I get is four o'clocks. When I smell it I remember being a child. We had a big bunch of four o'clocks by our front door and I would go out on summer evenings to watch the hummingbird moths buzzing around them. I remember picking some of the flowers and sucking the nectar out. The memory is so strong when I smell this. I can even taste the nectar.

I had forgotten this among all of the bad memories from my childhood. It's nice to have a good childhood memory back. Thank you Beth!

In the bottle: I was recommended to this scent because I'm obsessed with aquatics and enjoy both Tempest & Lightning. this one is a summery sea, maybe with a bit of lime. it reminds me of some iced cocktail, light and green-blue and full of clarity. clearly, the description of notes in the catalog is so vague as to be useless, and I'm not good enough at picking out particular notes to tell you any. but I can at least give you some impressions, especially via comparison to other scents.

On my skin: oh yes! lemon and a bit of lime and maybe some mint, plus crushed ice that is slowly melting in the sun. tropical ocean perhaps. it's got the refreshing notes from The Dormouse, and the ocean of Tempest but without all the violence. this mellows to something even better: gentle waves that occasionally crash over your head in refreshing lemon bursts. a warm respite from the sun. I could breathe this in all day.

Last thoughts: a light blue-green summer sea, perhaps in the tropics, refreshing & warm & cheerfully juicy. it actually reminds me of a particularly juicy green tea perfume I had in high school, one that I've been searching to recreate. I think this is it! :wub2:

This was a bust, but while most scents for me die with a whimper, this one went with a bang.

First Sniff: Perfume. Soap. These are things I don't want it to smell like, but there is a little fruit as well. Peach?

Second Sniff: No, it's... orange? This remains predominantly a soapy floral.

Wet: Very strong flowers with a hint of mint and orange.

Dry (30 mins): This smells so familiar to me. Lemon? Sugar? It is still much too perfumey, in an over-the-top, hurts my nose kind of way.

Dry (1.5 hours): A slight whiff of herbs. Still strong lemony soap.

Dry (3 hours): Soap. White flowers everywhere.

Throw: mild to medium.

Colour association: Sea green.

Reading over my description, it doesn't sound so bad, but it was. It was the 'perfume' aspect. It was very overpowering, cloying and just fake. I'm glad this works for so many others, but it's not for me. I'll try and pawn this off to my sister.

Just noT my cuppa...

In the bottle: Wowers, this is like after being at the beach, on the car ride home and it's all warm, and contented, and mmm... :wub2:

Wet: Very floral. Roses and violets? Something else in there, too... Can't pick it out. Does remind me of a clear pool of water.

Drydown: Roses are still there. Something aquatic defiantly, just can't pick out the notes today. Pure is the best I can describe it. She's really delicate, almost ethereal? Low throw.

Not one of my favs- going to gift it to baby sister, she'll really fit well with it I think!

3/5

1/5 Turned REALLY sour on me. Icky! :ack:

Edited by sisi33

In the IMP it smealls like citrus soapyness. On me holytoledo it’s bright orange mixed with lemon and sprinkled with hints of sea salt and ocean breezes. It’s a dazzilying clean and shrap scent.

This is mostly a clean, aquatic scent on me. It would be nice on a hot, summer day. I am happy that this is an aquatic scent that doesn't turn sharp on me. It's very true to it's description - it reminds me of a very still, crystalline lake or ocean. I really like this one, its probably not something that I would wear on an everyday basis but there are definitely lots of times when I would feel like wearing a scent like this.

This is a very light scent -- kind of citrusy and aquatic, but with something else diluting it and making it almost disappear into my skin. If this were a place it'd be a small pond, with water so clear and still you could see right down to the rocks and sea creatures at the bottom. I'm not good enough at this to pick out individual notes, but this definitely lives up to its name. I'm not sure if it's really me, but I'll keep it until summer rolls around and see if I change my mind then :)

I have two all-time favorite perfumes. Both are discontinued. :( One is Shi (not Sha) by Alfred Sung. Very light lilacs and musk -- Amazing. The other was an oil by Bare Escentuals waaaayyyy back in the early 90s called "Sweet Pea." This was not your B&BW sweet pea. Oh, no. This was a very green scent. Like you shelled fresh green peas from your garden and this was the scent left on your fingers. I was so confused when B&BW came out with their Sweet Pea because it was NOTHING like what I expected. Alas, Bare Escentuals no longer makes this scent and I can find no information about it online. I started to despair. While I have a small bottle of this left, I have been panicky for over a decade about what I would do when it ran out -- how can I possibly wear it now knowing I can never get more?

And then a benevolent hand guided a frimp of Sea of Glass into my first BPAL order. It's as close to my beloved Sweet Pea as I have ever found. It smells green. Watery green. Fresh green. Delicious green. "I could never induce a headache" green. It doesn't morph much. It is what it is, and I luuurrrvvvee what it is. Beyond that, I don't know what's in there. But I can't be more thankful to have found it. Certainly a bottle is in the works.

I. LOVE. THIS. STUFF.

And many thanks to the kind soul whose hand decided to drop a frimp of Sea of Glass into my package.

Sea of Glass is really beautiful and coming from a non aquatic/ozone person that is saying something.

I pick up on citrus, white musk along with white floral. Also occasionally before we get into dry down I get a hint of some sort of red fruit. Not Cherry, not strawberry...maybe Pomegranate?

This does a vanishing act on my skin after about an hour.

Usually aquatics and ozone smells give me a migraine. Not Sea of Glass; It has a tranquil calming way about it. Very pretty, ultra feminine and well blended.

Not sure if I am getting the big bottle. I know I am keeping the imp. I just don't know if this is "ME" or not.

Preconceived Notions: I decided to try this based on reviews alone. I’m usually reluctant to purchase anything that doesn’t actually list the notes, but people were making it sound like this was Heaven on Earth in a bottle.

Imp: Wow. That’s fantastic. Sea of Glass? Yeah, that’s all I can think of. I don’t know what this reminds me of exactly, but it definitely reminds me of something out of my childhood—not playful though—refined and elegant. Its definitely got some aquatic notes, but I’m also getting some white floral and some citrus. I hope this works out well on me.

Wet: Whoa! Takes a sharp gardenia-like turn. Not bad.

Dry (10 minutes): Ohmigosh, so good. It’s a little mature for my age I think, but I don’t even care. Smells like salty aquatics, gardenia, and dare I say—as strange as it is—a wonderful dash of clove! Man, I wanna bathe in this stuff.

Dry (2 hours): I’m surprised that its this strange clove note that has amped itself up. My skin usually eats away anything spice related. But it’s still lovely all around. The aquatic notes are still surrounding the clove, giving it a pleasant freshness.

Dry (5 hours): The clove has mellowed away and now it resembles how it did in the imp—but without any citrus. The throw as of now is pretty average for my skin (weak) but that is to be expected.

Consensus: I need a bottle of this. I. NEED. A. BOTTLE. OF. THIS.

This is easily my favorite scent now.

In the imp: Aquatic fresh lemony floral.

Wet on skin: Still very lemon fresh, but not in a cleaning solution kind of way. Less artificial than that, like a lemon squeezed into pure spring water. there is still a floral element to it, but I can't quite place it. Maybe gardenia, though it's not quite as sweet.

Dried down: less lemony, more floral now, though a very aquatic floral with a hint of lemon.

Throw: I'm not really getting much throw off of this right now.

Verdict: *** 1/* Very pretty, but not something I really need. I'd be happy to try it again later, though.

Imp: lemon-y aquatic with something floral, too. It's not straight up citrus.

Wet: Aquatic, white florals and lemon. It's a non-obtrusive, clean floral.

Dry: The citrus has gotten a bit sharp or sour or something? This doesn't seem to settle into what it could be on me - it's a little too citrus-y, a little too sharp and the wrong flowers.

It's not bad, I'm not going to wash it off or anything, but it's not something I'd choose to wear again. It's appropriately floral and lemon-y. It's quite clean and 'nice', but I tend to like my florals either warmer or more obviously floral than this is. This doesn't get it quite right for me.

Haven't tried any of the "aquatic" type scents yet - it's very interesting. A very "clean," light smell on me. Maybe a little floral? It's like fresh breeze. It stays fresh without being sharp the way it is a bit right out of the bottle. It really reminds me of the experience of playing the video game Flower, actually - like it's what I imagine the air would smell like, weird as that may sound. I like this scent a lot, I'm still deciding if it's my style to wear as a perfume in general. It's definitely a keeper for now though, whether or not I order a big bottle.

Was recently frimped this, and it was a pleasant surprise!

This reminds me of Tommy Girl, Kenzo Eau de Fleur de Magnolia, Bath and Body Works White Citrus - a citrus and bright fragrance which is tempered with the sweeter, creamier white floral notes.

I have no idea what the floral note might be, but based on the notes of the fragrances that it brings to mind - it could be magnolia, honeysuckle, water lily, lily-of-the-valley.

Great for warmer weather and for everyday (especially if you're concerned about your scent being too strong).

Love it, but with 3 similar scents in my collection, I would probably not need a bottle.

Crystalline is definitely the word for this. Clean, bright aquatic citrus. Smells similar to a commercial perfume, but prettier!

Goes on as a lovely aquatic and almost immediately becomes a fantastic hyacinth. This is even better than Grief and Egle. I might have to get a bottle. No citrus, but I have plenty of those. I can't stop huffing my wrist!

For me this was virtually the same in the imp, wet, and dry. Blonde woods, with a little tart lemon and ocean air. It is not warm, but it isn't cold either. It has no emotion, but not in a cruel way. It is a truly otherworldly scent. It smells calm, at peace.

Edited by roseus

In the imp: This is an aquatic, all right. I smell something somewhat lemon-y and there's a salty aspect present as well as what may be a floral.

Wet: I think I'm smelling lemon peel. Lots and lots of lemon peel. Then, the floral I thought I was detecting in the imp emerges, adding a sweetness to the scent.

Dry: It's a salty, citrusy floral now.

Verdict: Not for me.

Edited by dementia_divine