Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

The wet stage was beautiful, very evocative shiny aquatic. However, as it dried it got soapy, with hints of floral sweetness.
It smells like the surface of the ocean, which is not a bad thing but it lacks depth as a scent as well. Ozone is well balanced, so it's rather refreshing but only for a short time. This one needs regular reapplying.
sentence: imp-worthy.

I found the ozone to be overpowering wet on my skin but once it dried down, it settled and I got more of the aquatic, clean scent. Very nice.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

This smells overwhelmingly of soap.

Clean, Holy soap. I'm not a fan of aquatics or ozone or florals, so I would have been surprised if it had worked.

This is a slightly citrussy scent, that is very heavy on the ozone/floral. Unfortunately it does smell a bit like air freshener on me..

I'm not really a fan of ozone/aquatic smells anyway and am yet to find one that makes me go ooooh.

It is very fresh and crisp though and would be a nice summer/springtime scent.

I love the name of this oil and that's the reason I wanted to try it, it is a slight disspointment though.

I'll use up my imp and see if my mind changes but it's going to be a slim chance.

Oh, Sea of Glass. What's in you that gives me a migraine the second I open the imp?

Why is it that out of all the oils I've ever tried, I didn't even put a dab on - you smelled up the room for hours?

Seriously though, something in here gives me a BLARING migraine (like, cold compress, excedrin, all the lights off, and shut the door, no noise - thank you!) A word of warning, if you have problems with sharper scents (some grapefruit, ozone, some aquatics) STEER CLEAR!!

I wanted to like you. :P

In the imp: Green, crystalline, clean. I can definitely smell cut green grass and some musk.

Wet: Reminds me of Embalming Fluid because of the musk. It's also like the masculine version of 51. It's green. The grass isn't as prominent as it is in the imp. Some herbiness comes out. But it feels like green glass. Beautiful.

Dry:The musk remains. It's a green musk, and it isn't bothering me as mush as most musky smells do.. I wanted the grass to stay. I love the smell of fresh cut grass!

Overall: Very clean and lovely. Very similar to 51. But I prefer 51. I'll definitely be using my imp!

This was a freebie in my latest order, and an unfortunate reminder of the fact that aquatic florals don't work on me at all.

I picked up freesia, maybe gardenia too? I found the floral a little too sweet, too cloying: less "ocean breeze" and more "granny's bathroom". I typically tend to gravitate to more earthy, spicy scents, so this was probably a reach for me anyway. Most likely a lovely scent on a floral-lover with kinder body chemistry than I. :P

Edited by siren6

Many thank yous to the Lab for this frimp!

In the imp: an aquatic white floral with hints of salt and citrus.

On my skin: mmmm... dryer sheets! Seriously though, it's much like in the imp, but the notes separate a bit. Hint of ozone, everything smells very wet and fresh and gleamy. It's quite a commercial smell, actually.

As it dries down: The citrus burns off a bit and the scent warms up considerably (and thus becomes a lot easier for me to wear; these types of high pitched florals are not my style, though my sister would probably love this.). Before it was a bit prissy... now it's a calm sea... but I have to admit, there's still a hint of dryer sheets going on. I cannot for the life of me tell what florals these are. The ozone and salt make themselves more comfortable. And is that white musk?

Dry: faded a lot, and seriously calmed down. At first, this scent seems calculated to keep one awake and alert; after it dried on my skin and settled down, it seemed calming, the essence of serenity. It's still florals with salt and ozone and a touch of citrus, but the florals are fading from white to a soft sunrise white gold. Funny how colour is often used to describe smell on the forums! The ozone and musk (?) remind me of a faint incense; it's like there's a very soft purr underneath the florals and citrus.

Throw: medium, then very light when dry. Fades fast to almost nothing.

Conclusion: I like it (not love it) overall, although I am thinking that I don't like salt notes. This could definitely be a unisex perfume; I think I will try it on my boyfriend (the poor man is so sick of my perfume obsession by now). I don't use dryer sheets anymore, so this is a decent substitute. ;) I'll keep the imp, but this isn't a 5ml for me.

In the imp - It smells like an orange peel...maybe I'm crazy...

Wet - Now it's a crystal orange peel, lol.

Dry - Salty. Oceany. Now it smells like a Sea of glass should, the orange is all gone.

Overall - Very pretty, when it's dry it's a nice salty, watery ozone scent. Keeper.

I got this as a frimp in my latest order, which seems perfect considering I'm going crazy for both citrus and aquatics right now. In the imp, this is fresh, sharp orange zest layered with a hint of salt. I think my eyes just about popped out of my head when I sniffed this, and I started slathering. I should know better, really. As soon as it touched my skin it morphed. I think the ozone and the citrus were to blame, because suddenly I smelled like I'd been slathering WD-40 on my wrists. I almost washed it off, but endured by keeping my wrists well away from my nose till it dried. Once it was dry, I sniffed again. The citrus had mellowed out just a bit, and the ozone wasn't so sharp, but there was still a slick of WD-40 floating atop the ocean waves.

I am very sad as I write this and plan to go scrub my arm up to the elbow. Sea of Glass seemed utterly perfect for me, but in the end it is just not meant to be. Toss in the swaps pile, I think.

In the vial: A lovely fresh, aquatic scent with a hint of citrus. Gorgeous!

Wet: Green. Ozone. Soapy. *sighs*

Drydown: Ozone toned down quite a bit and the scent gets sweeter, but still quite soapy. Where's the sea?

Overall: I was disappointed, it was so gorgeous in the vial and I had high hopes for this scent. Will definitely give it another go.

This is stupendous! Wonderful! Delightful! Sophisticated!

:thud:

This blue and fresh and bright and pungent. Reminds me a TINY bit of Polo (Ralph Lauren).

I'm also liking that this is a nice contrast to most of the bpals I like - the tonka/copal/tobacco/woods/vanilla-y ones.

I received this as a freebie with my last order. The name itself caught my eye and when I sniffed the imp... well, this smells unlike anything I've tried from BPAL thus far. It's not exactly what I usually like (foody and incensey blends) but there's just something about it that I enjoy.

In imp: it's really hard to place these notes. Green and watery? A crisp, salty oceanic note? Perhaps my BPAL vocabulary is not extensive enough.

On skin: Pretty much the same. It's a very peaceful and relaxing blend.

Dry down: Doesn't morph very much at all. The scent lasts several hours but there doesn't seem to be much throw.

I put this one on before bedtime and helped me lull into a long peaceful sleep. Definitely a good bedtime scent or when feeling anxious.

Initially on, this is a definite lemon, with something water-lily-esque and plant-like alongside. It smells bright.

After a while, on drydown, I am reminded of something--I think it's like laundry detergent, perhaps. Yes, after another hour, it's definitely smelling like an "ocean-fresh" laundry detergent, or maybe the same as a room freshener scent. It's not a bad scent, but probably better as an environmental scent than on my skin.

A little later, this has gone a little funky on my skin--an unpleasant-soapy scent. (I'm pretty sure this is my skin chemistry combined with aquatics.)

Recaplet: Ocean-fresh laundry detergent that turns into soap.

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.)

Color impression: Pale blue-green.

This is probably the most truly aquatic smelling "aquatics" from the lab that I've smelled. It really does smell like water... with some cleaning fluid in it I guess :lol: Definitely a strong floral going on.. pity I can't decide what it is but it smells white and bright. This is pretty, but it's definitely not my style.

very floral and aquatic.

it's a very pretty and feminine scent, but not something i could actually wear as a perfume.

i think this would be great as a bath salt or bath bomb, though...very relaxing and sort of seductive.

way too perfumey for me to actually wear, though.

Simply a clean, aquatic floral. It is soft, pretty and very understated. At first on initial application it is on the strong side, but after a few minutes it mellows out, and I am left with a soft florals and air. Love it.

Sparkly and shiny indeed, I LOVE this!

Hmm, when wet, there's almost a very slight citrus tang to it, but it's definitely being swamped by all the water action going on there! It's fresher than fresh itself, pretty amazing. Makes me think of fizzy bubbles on the ocean surface ^_^

Drying... the sharp freshness that was there earlier is calming down, softening, giving it a very watery, yet slightly flowery scent, but still lovely and fresh.

Dry, it becomes soft and subdued, but still very revitalizing and oceany.

I LOVEEEEE this and wish I had a 10ml! :wub:

Very pure smelling. Light, citrusy, floral, clean. Cold. Kind of self righteous. There's no warmth, no amber, vanilla, or anything decadent to mar it. No sin. Not inviting or comforting in the least. Refreshing. Would make a good pillow scent.

The desciption of this one (and the title!) is very intriguing. :)

I received Sea of Glass as a frimp with my last order from the Lab and wow, what a find!

I'm not usually a fan of these types of scents (aquatic/ozone/clean smelling scents) Sea of Glass this one is really lovely on me.

This is bright, fresh, clean and I think there might even be a bit of lily of the valley in here. I would describe this as an aquatic floral.

It's not sharp or headache-inducing at all, this is pure, innocent, light and very pretty. I just love the way this smells on my sun-warmed skin.

A surprise for me! I'll be using all of this imp. :)

Very crystalline and light. It's a lovely, delicate scent that I'd almost classify as ethereal. It's definitely floral, but not overly so, and I'm bad at distinguishing the individual notes, but I'm guessing plumeria is in there somewhere?

Fresh, sharp, sparkling ocean note with a touch of citrus and florals which sweetens it up just a little bit. I feel like I'm sitting on the beach, watching a storm roll in while I'm eating an orange. This is a beautiful, complex and unique scent that mixes the perfect amount of ozone and aqua with citrus. It's so clean and would make a great everyday scent for me.

The floral is really sharp and clean on me, it almost reminds me of when I used to bring my grandmother oriental lilies. Smelling my arm is sort of like putting my face in a vase of those flowers.

The flower smell stayed as it dried. Not a bad flower smell, I actually like the smell itself..just not on me.

Sea of Glass (aged 10 months)

I fell in love with the description of this one. If light bouncing off glass had any sort of a scent at all, it would be this oil. It has the very tip sharpness of a citrus (maybe grapefruit) note, almost salty (ozone). But is has this underlying elegance to it that balances out the sharpness. Doesn't morph at all. This would be a great spring/summertime scent to make you feel instantly cooler. Throw is horrible, you could barely detect it was there 5 minutes in. I had to slather on some more in order to write this whole review. I might just have bad circulation near my wrists though, because on the inside of my elbow it has lasted much longer (because of the heat I assume).

Verdict: I wish this had better wear - maybe I wasn't applying enough or something. Might buy again, but it may be a little too sharp for some. I just happen to love citrus and aquatics - and this is the first one I've tried. So far, so good BPAL!

Edit:

Now that this has matured, I can smell lilac and lily of the valley along with the grapefruit. The ozone is completely gone! :) This has turned into one of my favorite scents for spring, and I'm planning on buying a bottle. The throw and wear have increased since I've tested it last as well. LILACS!!!

Edited by Alexanne

This is absolutely one of my favorite BPAL scents. I love the aquatic dry down it leaves. In the bottle it is mainly citrus, but the drydown leaves more aquatic notes on me. It doesn't have a very long throw, which is the only downfall in my eyes.