Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Sea of Glass

Upon the Sea of Glass, glowing with the perfection of spiritual union and the radiance of true wisdom, rests the throne of God. A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light.

this is SO BEAUTIFUL. i feel bad being the first reviewer because i KNOW i can't possibily pick out all, if any, of the notes. there's a bit of floral going on and i don't know my flowers very well. :P

it is lightly floral and lightly aquatic but at the same time it's not a whispersoft light scent. it makes me think of the pearly inside of a sea shell, and the first thing i thought when i cracked the bottle was "tolkien's elves." it's not the scent of lothlorian, but it's the scent of the eldar waking under starlight.

yeah. that's what it is. i might not be able to wear it because aquatics have a habit of going sour on me, but it jumped out at me with its delicate yet steadfast beauty. <3

Sea of Glass reminds me of the most beautiful emeralds. In fact, much of what the fragrance evokes is described here.

The fragrance is light, clean, "clear", fresh but with depth. I imagine that Sea of Glass would have a very soothing effect on the emotional body and an uplifting effect on the spiritual body.

Sea of Glass beyond

my sight. Healing all my fears.

Gentle strength abounds.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

This is absolutely stunning. Upon first sniff, I was overwhemled by an impression of the ocean -- not so much the smell of the ocean, but its feel. The feel of calm and clarity looking out over the ocean at the horizon. This is fresh, sharp, smooth, clear . . . never has a name so well evoked the fragrance!

I usually don't care for aquatic scents, but I had such a strong emotional reaction to this one that I'm planning to get a big bottle for summertime.

I have no idea what's in it -- this is one of those fragrances that's so well-blended it just smells like itself.

Beautiful.

Another freebie from the lab in my last order.

This is the rare type of blend that doesn't change much from first sniff in the bottle to drydown on the skin.

I LOVE this scent! It smells familiar, I can't quite place my finger on it. It has a strong crisp scent, but it is not overpowering at all.

It invokes visions of coming out of a lush tropical paradise full of big luscious blooms, raining petals down on the floor, and walking right out to a beach stretching along the ocean. Breezes drift by carrying the mingled scent of the water and blooms.....just perfect.

A bigger bottle is a definite must!

Sea of Glass

Ah, I love aquatics! Sea of Glass is a gorgeous, biting to the point of almost being salty, aquatic floral. It reminds me of a scent I used to wear as a pissy teenager. Le Jardin maybe? Only this is far more refined, far more pure. It's all salty aquatic notes and what I think is blisteringly pure and fresh gardenia. I could have the floral wrong, however.

Lovely!

As others have said, Sea of Glass is aquatic and salty like the breeze off the ocean. I think I'm picking up a handful of citrussy notes as well, and ozone. Very smooth and very fresh.

Sea of Glass smells a lot like Tempest to me, only less chaotic and more peaceful. Like Tempest, it has that “this is what dryer sheets smell like in heaven” sort of vibe. A nice blend and one I will wear when I want to feel tranquil.

Wet

Ooh, this is nice.

I can't believe how much imagery some scents provoke.

Sea of Glass makes me feel a pure, crystalline like, aqua blue water. Still yet slightly shimmering.

5 minutes

All around the scent is water and right smack dab in the middle of all this watery floral scent is what seems like a pinpoint of light something citrussy and herby, piercing and bright.

15 minutes

This scent has not changed much while being on me for the first time which is refreshing. :P

30 minutes

I agree with Red_Hot_Mama when she says it's "clear and fresh".

I've tried a few aquatuc scents: Tempest, Hymn, Water of Notre Dame, Storm and this is by far the best aquatic blend I've tried to date.

I would defintely buy this again, it's the epitome of aquatic.

Edited by UltraViolet

I've been smiling and nodding as I read my BPAL sisters' reviews of Sea of Glass. This blend is very...VERY difficult to describe, but oh so easy to love.

This is water. Clear, fresh water...the ozonic note in this blend is very beautiful. I do think there is just a small hint of something herbal and/or citrus, but nothing that detracts from the watery freshness of the perfume.

This is THE perfect aquatic scent. Simply wonderful.

*stumbles headfirst into love*

Sea of Glass, in the vial, is aquatic and citrus with a hint of ozone.

On me, it's all aquatic and floral, like if you mixed aquatic notes with Tempest and set it afloat on a sea of beauty. It's so soft and perfect and wearable, and it's just like floating on your back in a lake, smiling up at the sun and listening to the water lapping against your head.

It's so sweet and soothing, and I love it to bits.

I agree, this scent is beautiful, I wore it to church yesterday, I thought it was appropriate. :P I'm finding out that I don't like ozone but thankfully it doesn't stick around for very long. It is indeed a watery floral and just smells so lovely, very calming and relaxing, sweet and fresh. I really evokes it's name. Lovely!

This is the most "commercial-smelling" of all the BPAl oils I've tried, and I don't mean that as a bad thing in this instance :P It kind of reminds me of CK One, not in the way it smells, but in the idea of it - a kind of unisex, clean, fresh smell. The thing it reminds me most of is these "pure" shower gels and shampoos you get that are completelyt clear supposed to have nothing in them and be suitable for sensitive skin etc.

I have no idea what's in this but to me it smells very ozonic with no florals at all. I think this would be a great perfume in the summer but it doesn't suit the damp gloomy weather we have in London right now!

Sea of Glass is just as everyone has described.

It is very light and clear and aquatic with a bit of a citrussy floral thing going on. I don't think the flower is gardenia, though.

As nice as Sea of Glass is, it is not the one for me. I picture a Grace Kelly type person wearing this. Someone who wears light colored clothing, and is always perfectly coifed and accessorized. I'm a slovenly rock chick who almost always dresses in black, so this perfume makes me feel not myself. But it will be perfect for some people, as the above reviews attest.

Here is another blend that the lab has so accurately captured the description of the scent.

This one is very clean, very aquatic. It turns soapy on me, but nice gourmet soap.

Have you ever seen those scented rock potpourri packages they have at Target and other places? You'll often get a collection of scented sea glass (or wannabe sea glass) in ocean scents. Sea of Glass smells exactly like those, though a bit more up-scale!

It definitely has some white florals in here, though I'm not good at picking out specific flowers. It's a beautiful scent, but not something I would wear. This is clean and pure and sparkly. It would be a nice bathroom fragrance!

I did get a compliment from the guy who sits next to me at work. He thought it smelled like roses. I can kind of see that, but the floral is more white to me.

This is a great scent for people who like crisp clean scents. Mmmm, if only my clothes could smell like this coming out of the dryer!

Very clean. Aggressively clean, in fact. And yes, a bit soapy.

The review likening this to the sea-glass potpourri is bang on.

Quite pretty. It's not doing much for me right now, as I prefer warmer scents in the winter, but I suspect I'll get a lot of wear out of this next summer.

Updating my review 2/11/07 -- Sea of Glass is very pretty at first. Unfortunately, it has throw for about a mile and a half, and it goes WAY soapy on me about half an hour into drydown.

Now, I like soap. There are worse things than smelling like soap. But I have two other BPAL aquatics that work well on me (Storm Moon, which has a great hit of ozone, and the gorgeous Olokun, which stays true without a whisper of soap throughout) and am looking forward to trying Thalassa. This one is not offensive, but I would never reach for it when I could wear one of the others instead.

Edited by Electra

In the vial: Definitely aquatic with white florals and a touch of citrus. I'm not good at distinguishing the various white florals, so I can't say what they are. It's familiar, but I can't name it.

Wet: White florals mixed with ozone. Eh...

Drydown: The ozone's receded, so it's in the background with the aquatic notes. The white florals remain and... Oh no. Is there lemon in this? Is that what the citrus note is? Dammit.

Final thoughts: I think lemon may be the bane of my existence. Especially since it only gets stronger with each successive wearing of a blend, which is why Venice was ruined for me despite working the first couple of times I wore it. Most people have a lemon pledge association, but on me, lemon turns into lemon-scented insect repellent that's so strong I can taste it in the back of my throat. :P I do agree that this is a very clean scent. It reminds me of a softer, less vicious Szepasszony. If you like that type of scent, then I think this is for you. For me, I'll be swapping this. :D

I got a decant of this from Red Hot Mama. :P

First Impression: Very soothing and aquatic.

Second Impression: This reminds of that fresh salt marsh scent from my hometown Revere, MA. The dry down is lovely, watery white florals.

Final Analysis: This is not something I would have chosen for myself, but I'm thrilled I got to try it. It's very pretty and reminds of what the Little Mermaid, Ariel would smell like.

In The Bottle Grapefruit, pale white flowers, ozone, water.

Wet Feels like stepping into a clear tide pool. Oh yay. How smart of me to try this one before bed. It smells exactly like it did in the bottle.

Drydown The grapefruit has faded away, and it is now taking more of a pale floral tone. I think I am making out gardenia, fresh grass, lily of the valley.... I'm not sure what the rest of the florals are. I am really moved by this one. It is very dreamy and calm. Mmmmmmm. So lovely.

Two Hours Later The floral has drifted away and I'm only left with traces of it admist a light note of watery ozone. I had such a peaceful sleep while wearing this. I can't get over how soft and lovely this was.

Verdict I love this one. It's a mood scent though, so I wouldn't wear it all the time.

Edited by etherealchild

First sniff: Softly glowing, clean and pure with a hint of saltwater.

Wearing: Sea of Glass is a lovely, soft, calming scent. It reminds me of a non-green version of Water of Notre Dame. Pretty, but not something I’d wear often.

Sea of Glass

First Impression

Salty, aquatic, clear, and fresh. Smells like how Tears smelled, but without the accompanying earthy/greeness. Which is to say that it's got all of the same aquatics that set off my allergies... Ah well...

Wearing It

When I frist apply it, it amazes me how fresh and clean this scent is. It's got only a hint of salt, once it touches the skin, and becomes a fresh white floral/clear brilliant aquatic, in equal parts. As it dries, it looses that bright reflective quality and becomes a lot more soft and welcoming. I can smell salt, and smooth wet florals, and watery notes. It's still very clear, lacking any defining note or characteristic that might taint it.

This definitely is just like Tears, but without the earthy feeling to it. Similarly, it has all of the brightness, but without all the grief. Yet another aquatic perfume I would wear if it didn't set off my allergies. (Although, between the two, I preferred Tears, simply because it evoked more emotional response from me.)

I'm not certain I can say it better than it's already been said. Clean, white, crystaline, and aquatic. This was very light, a crisp ozone note and an underlay of very light florals. Soothing, cooling, breezy, it reminds me of a girl in a white linen dress standing on the shore of the ocean.

Lovely and would make a wonderful summer scent because of that lightness, it unfortunately doesn't last long on me so I'll be sending it off to find a better home.

My experience with Sea of Glass was like Hypothermya’s , almost to the letter, though it did not trigger my allergies.

The floral in this reminds me quite a bit of the Russian olives that grew on the island where I grew up. When they bloomed you could even smell them as you came across the water on the ferry on a calm day when, as they say, " the sea is like glass." This lingered longer on my clothing than on my skin. The last note was pure soft lily -of-the-valley.

Edited by Falathwen

In the bottle: A citrusy scent, which could be tangerine, orange, or even grapefruit. There's some saltiness thrown in, and then there's some freshness in the background, but I don't know what notes it could be coming from.

Wearing: Hmm. Floral. I hate to say it, but this is air freshener on me. Not the cheap, stale, artificial kind, but something made of actual flower and citrus extracts. OK, I'll wait for this one.

Later: This is all aquatic. It smells like this antibacterial liquid hand soap they have at my local public library. It doesn't smell like soap in general, just this particular kind of soap. Well, this one is beautiful, but it's not for me. Off to the swaps it goes.

Origin:

I was gifted with an imp of this by Red_Hot_Mama. :P

First sniff:

This is the same sweet aquatic note I pick up in all of Beth's aquatic scents and while aquatics are generally hit or miss with me, I really like Sea of Glass so far. It reminds me of a placid pond in the same way Water of Notre Dame does, but this is more of a crystal clear scent than a pale green one the way Water of Notre Dame was. Crystalline is a good word to describe Sea of Glass...it almost sparkles. :D

Wet on skin:

Saltier than in the imp now that it's hit my skin. This reminds me quite a bit of Tears now...this is definitely a sea and not a pond the way it was in the imp. There's also something vaguely soapy about this, but in a good way. I feel pristine wearing this. It's the exact opposite of the dirtiness of the earthy scents I normally wear, but I love it!

Dry down:

A sweet, salty, simple aquatic on me. There's no frills here and Sea of Glass is beautiful in its simplicity. I'm getting a bit of redness where I applied the oil, but that's typical for me when it comes to aquatics and nothing I can't deal with. :D

The bottom line:

This is my second favorite BPAL aquatic scent yet, the first being Water of Notre Dame. I love Sea of Glass. It's simple, subdued and beautiful.

Bliss.

It feels like walking on the boardwalk by the beach on a spring day, before the tourists have come, and while it's sunny but still cool outside. Or like how you can smell the air change if you drive down 95 from DC to Virginia Beach - all of a sudden the air jumps to life - it's cleaner, crisper, lightly sea scented.

Very soothing, very refreshing, very Ocean Mother. Was it Pekeana who said it's like floating on your back on a lake? Exactly that. Weightless, carefree. And what RHM said - "a very soothing effect on the emotional body and an uplifting effect on the spiritual body."

I can't believe what a powerful effect Beth's aquatics have on me! I tried one out of casual interest and now I'm compelled to collect them all.