BPAL Madness!
mermaidsdream

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure

FEED ME AND FILL ME WITH PLEASURE
For my heart too springs up at the pressure,
Mine eyelids too moisten and burn;
Ah, feed me and fill me with pleasure,
Ere pain come in turn.

Black patchouli, honey, and thick vanilla amber.

Oh gosh, first review! No pressure here!

I received this in the mail today, along with a plethora of other bottles, and had to test it immediately.

Out of the bottle it's hard to pick up notes. It's been a little chilly, and the bottle was definitely *cold*, so I couldn't pick out any notes. I'll admit I was a little afraid: most of this year's Lupers (my first Lupercalia) have been a miss for me, so I took a chance ordering a bottle of this unsniffed.

I'm so glad I did.

Applied & drying it's still very light. I get something that reminds me vaguely of the Antikythera Mechanism, and instantly think "tobacco" ... except I know there's no tobacco in this. Looking over the scent notes, I suspect it's the vanilla amber / black vanilla.

After an hour or so, I can't stop sniffing my wrist. It's a mix of woodsy, earthy resin with the sweet of the vanilla. The vanilla definitely warms up, perhaps sweetened by the honey.

It's a very sexy, yet very soothing scent. I'm definitely going to have to get at least a second bottle.

ETA: Seriously, if this wrist-sniffing keeps up, I'm going to have to have my wrist surgically removed from my nostrils. :lol:

Wow.

Just spicy enough, smooth, sweet, dripping honey and amber, with an ouevre of leafy patchouli.

It goes on me like golden amber and has the sillage of a top quality amber, not too sweet from the vanilla and just dirty enough from patchouli to be edgy without overwhelming everything.

Want more!

This is one of those scents that is so quintessentially BPAL. As in, you could blindfold me and give me dozens of non-BPAL scents to sniff besides this one, and I would know this was the BPAL one.

In the bottle it was very woody and I was lukewarm. On me, it turned into the child of Snake Oil and Cathedral - still woody, but a little sexier and warmer. This isn't a hippie patchouli, but a drier, more earthy one. The honey doesn't really come out on me, but instead amps the amber and makes it a bit cloying. Not sure if I'll be keeping this one or not.

This needs some time to settle, and when it does...hoo boy. :wub2:

Feed Me and Fill Me is a wonderful scent balancing act. The extreme sweetness of the vanilla amber is offset perfectly by this amazing patchouli, which is black but not filthy at all; it's actually very refined. I like a good patch, but not when it's so jaggedy that it sticks in my throat. By the same token, I often find amber becomes too sticky and vanilla can turn plastic-smelling. None of those things happen here. This just smells delightful: rich, deep, thick, and sweet without being sickly.

It will only get better, too; that's the ridiculous part. I can't even fathom how good this will be in six months' or a year's time.

ETA: Yup. Eight months later and FMAFMWP is amaaaaaaaaaazing. :yum:

Edited by OctoberGwen

In the bottle: Patchouli like woah, to the point that it's nearly impossible to pick anything else out. It's also grassy, reminding me of the hay note in Brood.

Wet: Bitter, tarry patch, herbal and unisex. I love patch, so this isn't much of a problem, but I was really hoping to catch sign of the other notes, and at that point they're nowhere to be found. It's such a strong patch I can taste it in the back of my throat, the same way I can with Occupy Wall Street. I didn't slather, either. This is just dabbing.

Dry down: Aha! There's the amber. Sweet and rich. Patch is still very dominant, though. This is a very dry, woody scent on me, almost as dry as cedar. There's a resinous quality as well. It smells like it should be sticky, but it isn't. It's much sweeter in the crook of my arms than on my wrists. It's assertive and bold, and it's unisex enough that my husband says he wouldn't mind wearing it now and then as he's a patch lover, too. (He used to claim he hates cologne. As it turns out, he hated commercial cologne. BPAL has converted him to wearing scents, much to my delight.)

This is one of those that promises magic with aging.

This was just pulled out of the mailbox a little over 2 hours ago. I think I've waited all I can to open this without bursting with anticipation. ;)

In the bottle: Straight patchouli - down and dirty and raw.

Wet on skin: Still patchouli in the forefront but it's got some sweetness and dustiness backing it up.

Drydown: Now the amber and vanilla come through, softening the screaming patchouli. It's a very warm and heady scent. Not disappearing in the slightest. The longer it sits, the smoother it gets and the calmer it gets.

Overall: Pretty damn good, I gotta say. :yum:

ETA: I have to remind myself that I am a patchouli lover...all the patchouli...so, what might read as a somewhat dirty not really strong patchouli might be a nose puncher for someone else! Sorry! ;-)

Holy moly another win from the Our Lady of Pain series...

Just got this less than an hour ago...

Smells like Antikythera Mechanism and Banshee Beat had a love child...and it smells so much more amazing than either.

This patchouli is dirtier than the one in Our Lady of Pain, but it is softened by the vanilla/amber and I love it: dreamy. I usually can't make honey smell good but this is amazing.

Another winner...jeez these are amazing.

Edited by Herb Girl

Holy moly another win from the Our Lady of Pain series...

This patchouli is dirtier than the one in Our Lady of Pain, but it is softened by the vanilla/amber and I love it: dreamy. I usually can't make honey smell good but this is amazing.

I have to quote you because I feel the same way. OMG this is SO GOOD. I am so happy I bought 2 bottles unsniffed. And I may get another 1 or 2 before it goes down. It reminds me of Goblin but dirtier and sexier. LOVE!!! :wub2:

This is beyond fabulous and patchouli can be a very iffy note for me. I completely agree with the Antikythera Mechanism comparisons, but this is softer and more luscious. A definite winner, I sense a bottle in my future....

Right out of the decant this scent amazes and thrills me. I get the Banshee Beat comparisons. And there's something a little spicy, like a cinnamon or clove hint, and the gorgeous woody patchouli, and something creamy. Amber's usually a big fail on me, but this one, while it goes to powder slightly, doesn't bring the whole thing down. Feed Me is glorious, and I think I'm going to need two bottles.

ETA: I had to come back and edit this, as my first impression modified somewhat with further wear. I dabbed a drop on my hand this morning and walked to work. An hour later my coworker came in to her cubicle, ten feet from mine and said, "Something smells like hippie."

Strong patchouli at first, but then this scent fades quickly on me. Side by side with Banshee Beat, this one is practically gone after three hours, while BB can still be detected after ten. Tonight I'm comparing it to Badgers. I find them similar. Maybe I only need one bottle of Feed Me. Or none. Still trying to decide...

ETA: One and a half. That's how many bottles of this I ended up getting. It's a lot like Banshee Beat, but it has a dry woodsy and refined patchouli phase that I really like, and it ends in a soft honey that doesn't go all icky/funky on me (see O and Womb Furie, both disastrous for my skin chemistry.) That's why I needed one and a half bottles of Feed & Fill.

Edited by Circaea

I knew I would love this one, and I pretty much do. Imagine Goblin, but less sweet or #OccupyWallstreet without the cocoa. I could see Banshee Beat comparisons, though not so much Antikythera Mechanism as it is far more light. Those afraid of honey have very little to worry about here as all it seems to be doing is adding a touch of sweetness. What I did not expect is that the patchouli is a bit more green and light than I am used to. As far as the amber is concerned, you can kinda sorta tell it is there but it never entirely asserts itself. Overall, pretty fabulous and I imagine people will be going nuts for this.

When I put this one on I loved it, but as it dried it rapidly lost its complexity. After an hour it was basically a strong dirty patch, so strong that it's bothering my allergies which is something that patch has never done to me before. This has mega staying power, when I woke up the next morning I still smelled strongly of it. Bleh, not a fan, sadly.

Oddly enough Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure smells exactly like I had hoped Badgers would: sweet, thick honeyed patchouli with a dash of vanilla. The patch is much rawer than it is in Badgers, but it lacks the piercing honeysuckle note that keeps ruining Badgers for me. The amber adds a slight powdery perfuminess that just rounds this out beautifully. I imagine this will be INCREDIBLE aged and I'll have to pick up another bottle before the collection goes down. wub2.gif

Also, the throw is pretty strong in this one--you might want to dab rather than slather.

In bottle: Lot’s of patchouli. It’s not quite at the #Occupy level of intensity, but close. The vanilla amber and honey soften it a little, but I suspect this will be too much for me. Wet: The patchouli itself is on the more complex end of the patchouli scale, and I do like the way the vanilla amber plays with it, and the honey is soft and tangles pleasantly with the stronger notes. The vanilla amber is stronger on the skin, less overwhelmed, but still not strong enough for my tastes. I suspect this will improve with age. Dry: It develops a woody quality as it ages, which I find apealing. It also balances better as it wears, so that the amber comes out more as the patchouli mellows. Normally, I’d swap it, but I think I’ll age it a while and see if aging will make fresh more like the drydown.

It might just be due to the fact that the Red Bird of Bitchiness has flown in for a visit this week, but I experience this as a cedar single note. That's actually not bad, because I do like that smell, but it's just not what I expected at all. The other surprise, given the notes, is that it has low throw. It's decently long-lasting and already has a longer life on my skin than it did two days ago when I got it. I think if I give it some time - if only to get past the whacked-out hormones - this will be a more complex scent on me.

ETA: Yes, the next day I could smell patchouli under a certain soft sweetness. Then today it was a bit woody again, but hormones were still on the wrong end of the seesaw today. I do love that I can wear this at that time of the month without tragic results, but I like the sweeter, patchouli-heavier version more.

ETA 2: Feed Me is now several months old and the honey and patchouli are gorgeously blended together. This isn't as woody as it was at first. Maybe I should have bought more than one bottle, but I'm not sweating it. There are so many other good things to smell.

Edited by boomtownrat

:wub2: so perfect...love this one, it's so rich and gorgeous, the same sort of feeling probably from the patchouli, as Incubus Leaving Two Sleeping Women, but a bit less heavy handed.

This is a pretty, soft, inoffensive patchouli that's been gentled by the amber and honey. If you want to try patchouli but you're afraid of the loud dirty boot-wearin' kind, this would be a good place to start. It does grow progressively a little dirtier with time and warmth, but it's not nearly as forceful as #occupywallstreet or Banshee Beat. I do get the hints of wood other people mention, but I really have to huff my arm and think about it before it becomes noticeable.

I like it, it just doesn't have quite as much personality as other patchouli blends.

Edit: this does strongly remind me of O, without being as *sweet* as O.

Edited by marared

I love the black patchouli in Depraved and the patchouli in Banshee Beat, but this reminds me of the sour patchouli in occupywallstreet. It has the same dry, sour, woody, cedar-ish edge. I was hoping that the honey and vanilla amber would be reminiscent of O, but I don't really get much sweetness from this. The amber seems to add a warm, powdery feel, but I don't really get any vanilla or honey. I don't like this patch note and it's overall just not sweet enough for me.

ITI: Holy patchouli, Batman! It practically leaps out of the bottle, but like Batman's trusty partner, vanillaed amber seems to be holding on to the heels of patchouli.

Wet: Warm vanilla and amber, thick and sensuous patchouli, and the warmth of honey underneath. It's gorgeous.

Dry: Now, I just get amber, vanilla, and slightly spicy honey. I just wish some of the patchouli had remained.

Got an imp of this by choice in a decant circle -- actually only selected six of the whole 2013 Luper line.

IN THE IMP: A musty closet but intriguing enough to want to explore it and see what hidden treats it might hold.

Applied to wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: The patchouli amps up hugely on me so the first overall smell, for me, is nursery school paste. Now, I actually like that scent ... it's one that evokes a lot of good memories and is often my mental connection for pure patchouli. It is quickly joined by a medicinal subnote, which would be the amber. I am getting very minimal honey when wet, surprising since that is usually a note that comes to the forefront with my body chemistry.

DRYDOWN: Sadly, this isn't working for me. I gave it some extra time to see if I'd get what I call a "second drydown" which happens sometimes. Instead, the vanilla goes a little plastic and the honey, oddly, goes very perfumey and the overall combination is just way too masculine and cologney for me. I don't need to wash it off, it's not BAD on me, it's just not ME.

OVERALL: This is a very interesting and complex scent and I can definitely see that it will be a popular one. Interestingly, since I've been working my way through my imps and bottles alphabetically, I tested both this and Forgive Us Our Virtues today ... if you'd asked me in advance which one I'd prefer, I would have predicted this one. Instead, this goes into the swap/give box whereas Forgive Us has been added to the OMGOMGOMGIHAVETOHAVEABIGBOTTLEOFTHIS list.

On a scale of 1-5, I give it about a 3.

That is definitely patchouli.

I am not much of a patchouli person, although I enjoyed Banshee Beat and have bottles of blends with it as a background note, scents that feature it prominently just never really end up appealing to me.

This one reads like the patchouli in Occupy to me, which is not really a good thing. I found that one sort of overwhelming, and it's doing the same thing here. It's dark and rough and a little woody, and the other notes, despite being favorites of mine, never really come into balance with it.

Patchouli-lovers, this one's for you. :)

This is like a drier, woodier Banshee Beat. The black patchouli is so woody it has a smoky edge to it. This is much more masculine than I expected it to be and much darker also. I wouldn't say it isn't a winner for me but it isn't as nice as I expected it to be. The best points for me include the throw, the depth and the trueness. It's not a morpher, or at least it isn't on my skin. I'm hoping that when this is aged (I'm testing this fresh from the post today) the honey and the amber will get a little louder. I think I was hoping for more honey, more amber and only a little black patchouli and instead it's kinda the opposite and much drier than I expected. I'd give this 7/10 and won't need any more than the couple of bottles I ordered.

In the decant: Lots of patch, very heavy and almost bitter.

Wet: The honey calms the patch down the moment it hits my skin. That's good!

The dry-down: This is a lovely blend -- all three notes mix well together. For me, this is autumnal in feel and I will save the decant for that season. Still debating on a bottle.

On me, patchouli is hit or miss, yet somehow my instincts guided me to purchase Feed me and Fill me with Pleasure as my only lupercalia 2013 choice unsniffed, despite other selections having notes that are normally way more to my liking.

I am SO glad that I ordered this perfume!! :wub2:

I want to give it a proper review because it deserves attention. It is simple and beautiful.

In the bottle it is straight-up patchouli. To me it brought back a scent memory of of my mother's close friend who is a wholesome, beautiful, earth mother type who rides horses, grows vegetables and makes soap. Her soaps smell this way. If this were a tarot card, it would be the Empress.

On skin: This is not so much a perfume as a subtle, glowing warmth. It is golden, warm and one of those "my skin but better scents"

the drydown: A soft, woody patchouli, warmed with gentle amber. I'm getting no vanilla or honey, this does not remind me of "O" because it is much more woodsy. This is like the sun glinting through trees on a warm day.

I wore this to Ithaca, NY on a romantic getaway with my love. To me, this perfume IS Ithaca- educated, gentle, green-minded. It's a hippie goddess. It evokes coffee shops, vegan potlucks and outdoor excursions. It was a subtle, warm choice for a cold winter day in upstate new york. My boo likes it too. :)

My only complaint is that it could be a little more louder. I like this enough to want a bigger throw! So, I say 9.5 out of 10. This is very well done. I ran out to get a backup bottle.

I love patchouli, I love vanilla, and I love amber. I do not love honey. Well actually that's not really true - I do love honey, but only on my toast.. on my skin, it does nasty nasty things and makes me smell like baby's vomit. So I had only one concern witth FM&FMWP and that was.. you guessed it.. the honey.

But here's the thing - it's OK! The patchouli in this is so dark and moistly grungey - it smells like a big block of hash I was once offered to buy in Bali, earthy, gooey, feral and scary. So what happens is that the honey tries to step up and be all sweet and sickly but the black patchouli says "fuck off, you stupid pile of bee barf" and the honey goes all quiet and sits meekly in the background. This makes the patchouli think it's all tough and manly-like so it starts puffing up its chest and swelling its testicles, striding around like it's the King of Stink, but just when you think ermahgerd this patchouli is going to strangle me - the vanilla amber shows up. And when I say "shows up", what I really mean is that it flies in on a golden unicorn and sprinkles dusky soft vanilla dust over the top of the black patchouli, instantly shrinking its swollen testicles until it gets all embarrassed and stops strutting around. The vanilla amber gets off its golden unicorn (whose name, incidentally, is Gerald) and settles itself down on top of the patchouli and honey, creating a blanket of soft ambery vanilla goodness. The patchouli - by now quite ashamed of its aforementioned display of testicle swelling and chest puffing - snuggles in on the vanilla amber blanket and sleeps peacefully, occasionally snoring but in a cute way. Who knew the patchouli would turn out to be such a big softie? Gerald, that's who - he knew all along.

After about half an hour on my skin FM&FMWP ends up being a lovely dry patchouli with a soft amber overtone and just a hint of dry vanilla and honeyed sweetness, and it pretty much stays like that for a good few hours. The patch does retain a slightly bitter tone, which is why black patchouli isn't my favourite kind, but it's still lovely nonetheless. I really love these 'simple' blends with only a small number of notes - they're never any less complex than the multiple-notes blends, but I find that they allow each individual note to sing its own song and retain its own characteristics and that's definitely the case here. I can smell each note quite clearly, but at the same time I can enjoy the mix of them all together. I'm very happy with this one, and I am putting my 2nd bottle into a nice dark box to age for a while because I'm sure it's going to be amazing in a year or two.

Oh, and for the record - I didn't buy the hash. It's very unwise to buy drugs from random Balinese people you meet on the side of the road - just a little travel tip for y'all :D