Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

The Raptures and Roses of Vice

THE RAPTURES AND ROSES OF VICE
Red roses, heady Moroccan musk, cinnamon, lobelia, coconut flesh, magnolia blossoms, and tobacco tar.

Creamy, dewy, fleshy rose in the bottle, swirling rapidly towards a smooth, exuberant and beautiful musk - definitely has some hint of Morocco, the scent, however, there's a very deep, thrummy, almost resinous / churchlike element to this. I can lightly detect the tobacco in the background adding a hint of grit. The coconut and magnolia together add a butter-yellow creamy tone to the overall scent. The cinnamon and tobacco meld great with the rose... this is a beautiful, non-amping rose. It's breaking up my usual rose amp fail :)

This reminds me a bit of White Rose (the BPTP) scent, but less rose and more spices and rose unguent. Yes. Like... a lot.

Tried at Will-Call.

It has the word Rose right in the name! This will never never work on me in a million years. Lab roses go immediately sharp and awful on me, and I amp them to Jupiter.

But it is so amazing in the bottle that I have to try. Because secretly I want to smell like roses. Wet it is like an enormous bouquet of deep red roses, a week old, filling a room with their insistent scent. No sharpness. Things are hiding underneath the rose bouquet. Definitely magnolia, and then a very warm delicious musk. I huff my hand where I've tried it and instantly order a bottle, hoping that I can survive the drydown (please rose, behave!).

Amazingly this just gets better and better on me. There is a point where the rose threatens sharp rosy awfulness, but the other notes seem to beat it into submission. This is the rose oil I have always dreamed of wearing. It's so luscious and rich and sexy and wildly feminine. It's perfumey in a traditional sense (I really like scents that have a commercial feel to them), but in a powerfully unique fashion. I am afraid that when this bottle arrives I will never want to wear anything else. I'm going to need a backup (probably two).

I love this.

I am sitting at home hours after leaving Will-Call huffing my wrist with a big stupid grin on my face. I really liked this perfume.

...It is tempting to just leave it at that, but I won't. ;) What really sticks out on me is the coconut-rose combo, which I can't remember ever running across before*. The coconut is really accurately fleshy on me, and with the big fluffy roses in tow, this scent prances around like a lady on the town: some sublimely dressed society harlot with an enormous feather fan and a string of fake pearls that she really knows how to swing. The diamond earrings she's wearing, however, are not fake, and neither is the knowing grin she gives you. I never catch the tobacco tar, but the musk comes on strong after a bit, then the magnolia waltzes in and the whole experience is just amazing. Your life is changed, probably not for the better, but definitely for the interesting.

I have rarely made a special order so quickly. I am so very going to wear this to go see Baz Luhrmann's Great Gatsby. Ugh, perfection. :9 You can tell how much I liked this by my blathering on and mixing up all my metaphors. To be more concrete about it, this has a fairly mild throw, even after some pretty extreme slathering, is still going strong (though faded to mostly musk and rose) after about six hours, and may improve your love life**.

*A quick search turned up Gwyneth (Grindhouse Girl) and Nymphia, both of which contain death notes for me, and Roses Pearls and Diamonds, which I loved, but which is much less sexy than this.

**No actual results implied. No testing has been done on this. Pure speculation.

ETA: The released version has a slightly stronger magnolia note than the demo I previously tested. I am still madly in love.

Edited by windbourne

Just got my luper decant of this!

I'm completely in love. Rose is one of my favorite notes, and this is a heady one - the coconut makes it even more amazing and adds depth. Definitely definitely needing a bottle of this one.

Ok. I might be cuddling this decant like a teddy bear tonight. Sorry, I know that's weird.. but its the most warm, glowing, fuzzy, blissful scent I've ever experienced. The rose comes across as deep pink/crimson with wonderful moroccan musk, sweet magnolia, and a bit of cinnamon. The coconut is in there but circling the background and not easily identifiable on me.

Multiple bottle purchase for sure. :wub2:

Yet another one of the Our Lady of Pain scents that smells exactly how I had hoped another blend would've. Raptures and Roses of Vice smells like what I had hoped Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds would've been. Orris ruined RPD for me but since it's not in RRV I'm perfectly safe. I get a heady, languid, slightly cool coconut rose tinged with warmth from the magnolia and cinnamon. I get slight hints of tobacco here and there, but I have to actively look for it. Hopefully it'll be more pronounced with some aging. As someone recently recovering from avoiding anything rose I'm glad I got a bottle of this unsniffed.

This perfume is like, stupid romantic and clean and soft as fresh linens and as intense as a teenage crush.

It's like coming home from sneaking out to the goth club with my girlfriend, at the age of fourteen. We both use the same coconut scented soap and shampoo, but now our clothing and hair is soaked with the scent of tobacco and cloves and incense smoke. The only light in her room is candlelight, and summer roses hang from the ceiling and walls, drying so that she can preserve them into dead bouquets. We fall back onto her bed exhausted, still wearing our clothes and boots, and watch the flickering shadows on the walls. There is exhilaration at having returned without getting caught, and my heart is racing. She reaches out to hold my hand in hers. My heart beats faster and my breath catches in my throat...

I think "I love you so much, it feels like dying"

I can't move, or talk. It is all I can do to lay there in the dark, and keep breathing, I'm so overwhelmed by the closeness and presence of her, the feeling of her hand touching mine.

Raptures and Roses of Vice is like that moment, frozen in time.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Well there's nothing I can say to follow up that review :lol:

Except yes, this is full of awesome and win, gorgeous roses but not single note, coming to my house...

Raptures of Roses and Vice is gorgeous :wub: It's a mix of heady magnolia, roses, musk and coconut on me, and it doesn't really morph. It's kind of a creamy floral but really lush and realistic smelling at the same time.

I just have to say: whaaaaaaaaaaat.

This is my very favorite of the Our Lady of Pain scents thus far. It is absolutely gorgeous. Heady, feminine, lush, complex. Perfect. A perfect blend. :wub2:

Thoughts before testing: I read the description of this when the update went live and immediately put one in my cart. This sounds like it was made for me!

Wet: This is fabulous. It's heady and creamy and expensive and feminine and sexy. I'm having a hard time picking out individual notes, and I can't even get over how great this smells.

Dry down: This is mostly creamy, fleshy, rich magnolia and rose, but they're being supported by this fabulously decadent and amazing musky goodness. So. GOOD.

Dry: High class, gorgeous, complex musky floral that lasts well over 10 hours after application.

Final thoughts: This was so much better than I was even hoping! This is definitely one of the best BPALs I've smelled in the last year, and has rocketed into my favorites box. Seriously, if you're wavering about this one, go for it. It's truly amazing.

Verdict: Hoarding :wub2:

In the decant: Red roses drenched in all the other notes.

Wet: The lobelia and the tobacco tar are really coming up through the mix, and crowning the rose.

The dry-down: This is in the same family as Red Rose from the Trading Post Lupers of 2009. And I think I prefer that scent, but this is lovely in its own fashion, although the musk and lobelia and tobacco tar keep it from being as sweet as Red Rose. If one can't obtain Red Rose, The Raptures and Roses of Vice will do nicely as a similar scent.

I feel bad reviewing this, as I seem to be the only person so far who hasn't loved it. It's mostly a bold, dry smelling red rose, but I hate cinnamon paired with rose, and the cinnamon amps up on me more than I would like. I can smell hints of the other notes that seem to swirl in and out of the scent for me (dark, smoky tobacco, buttery coconut, perfumey magnolia), but it's mostly rose and cinnamon on my skin. The drydown is dry rose, powdery musk and warm cinnamon...

It's been a very long time since I smelled a rose blend this awesome. Full, lush and sweet -- not soapy at all. Coconut is normally a deathnote for me, but isn't bothering me here. I only wish it didn't last so long (I need scents to fade fast)...and this just doesn't quit.

Rose lovers NEED this in your collection. And those dissapointed by previous roses going sour on them, may find this the rose blend they were always looking for.

Edited by rawgirl75

Turkish delight was the first thing that popped in my head when I smelled this. It's sugary rose and coconut right off the bat. The musk that shows up after a while takes this blend out of foody territory and adds a nice woodsy layer, it's still on the edge of being foody though.

I'll have to do an all-day test of this but I suspect The Raptures and Roses of Vice is too heady and sweet for me.

on my skin, this smells like one of those slightly foody-floral scents, which i tend to love. quite possibly really the only foody scents i like. i suppose it's mostly rose, musk and coconut on me. i think either the coconut-musk combo is in some other bpal scents, because i recognize it from other scents that i really like. it's creamy and soft, and honestly the rose is pretty subtle in this, at least on my skin. i don't even think of it as a really rosy scent because it is well-blended. the rose is strongest at first, but then fades back into the coconut.

Edited by theseagrows

This was the imp I had high hopes for, since I love the scent of roses but on my skin it turns into rose overload.

Bottle: it smells green and crisp with a hint of rose.

Wet: Rose and musk with a hint of coconut.. very clean and still green like freshly cut rose stems

Dry: Rose did not over take everything else and amp to the point of headache like Red rose did. ( Thank you Beth) This still has the rose but the musk and coconut have hit up the cinnamon and invited tobacco to join in.

This is my new love.. my poor daughter has had to smell my arm since I put it on, she think it smell like a pretty lady but not a princess :lol: ( love having a 6 yr old )

Now need to hunt down a bottle or two..

Yay :joy: This is AWESOME!! I always secretly want to be able to wear rose but a lot of the time it just doesn't work on me. I had high hopes cause this sounded lovely and a lot of other people had good luck with this and so did I!

In the bottle and wet I mainly get coconut and creamy rose! Wonderfully blended and intoxicating!

As it dries I get some cinnamon, which normally gives my a rash but so far no rash. Lovely wearable rose and cinnamon, I'm so freakin happy! I should have bought more bottles of this. The great thing is it lasts ALL day....and this from a girl who would bathe in perfume. A++++

In the bottle: This is FLORAL with some green coming through

Wet on skin: Roses, peeks of coconut, little bit of cinnamon poking through, some musk in the background. I think everything is trying to wrestle the roses into submission.

Dry: Roses, coconut, and cinnamon. It's nice, but I think a little age will do it some good.

Dewy rose, clove and hints of coconut. This is like the BPTP Red Rose with hints of coconut.

Heady, rosey, clovey.

I think I'm the odd man out in this one, because at first, The Raptures and Roses of Vice is SPICY. I find it quite similar to Clemence in the initialy stages. On the drydown, there's a sophisticated symphony of notes though at the same time each one is identifiable if you know to look for it. I tend to amp rose, and I love that I do, but here there is nothing that overpowers the rest.

The verdict? This is amaaaazing. Sillage is pretty damn good (three hours after application, someone sitting next to me in a meeting told me I smelled "lovely") and this lasts: I could still smell wafts from the back of my neck as I got ready for bed!

Soft, sweet slightly spicy rose. It smells kind of resinous, like Rose Cross, and a bit musky, like Red Rose from the Unity set. This is quite nice, becomes less sweet as time goes on, more of a seductive rose now, a 'high heels, scarlet red dress" rose now. No need to upgrade, as I hardly wear rose scents.

ITI: Sweetly blooming red roses, coconut, and faint cinnamon. It's lovely so far.

Wet: Roses, musk, tobacco, coconut, and gentle magnolia. As it starts to dry, I can pick up a little cinnamon, but the combination of the florals with the tobacco is exquisite.

Dry: Sweetened coconut and red roses that have been infused with light tobacco, musk, and magnolia. This is soft, complex, sweet without being foody, and feminine.

In the bottle - A soft sweet rose note, almost like rose water Turkish Delight

Wet on me - A dark bitter, smoky note that I assume is the tobacco tar comes out against the roses

Dry on me - A clean dry musk

Overall - This just didn't really work for me

I hadn't really had this on my radar (I have a ton of rose blends) but had the opportunity to pick it up along with something else I really wanted. It has coconut listed, that was really the deciding factor, as I had really hoped for a gorgeous rose/coconut combo out of Roses, Pearls and Diamond, and I can never smell the coconut in that one.

Wet: Oh I can smell the coconut for sure! Blended with the musk (which is reminiscent of skin musk, on me) it is the dominant note, and it's gorgeous. I am loving this, it is not at all what I expected. Rose hasn't taken over the way it almost always does on me.

Dry: What a surprise hit! It's not actually a rose blend on me - which is odd, I usually amp the shit out of rose. But I'm not mad at it, because it's a COCONUT blend on me, which is even better! I adore coconut and reach for it all summer. This is coconut and musk and a little

je ne sais quoi. Much more feminine than Tiki King, which is also coconut and musk on me. This is still dark though, and a little sinister. I love it. I will wear the heck out of this in warm weather. Plus, I love the name a lot. Let's be honest, that matters. Lol.