Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

All the depth, beauty, and darkness of All Hallows Eve. Truly, the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

(Samhain 2007)
On first application this is a big mug of spiced cider, minus most of the sweetness (though this is overall slightly sweet), lots of spice (cinnamon seems prominent). Despite the spicy sweetness, there's nothing *warm* about this (completely different from, say, Snake Oil). It's like a cold autumn wind was somehow injected right into this. In the bottle and on my skin for the first 30 minutes this is all delicious spicy appley cider (emphasis on the spices) and a whiff of cold, crisp wind blowing dry leaves around. The apple in this blend isn't like the crisp, tart apple in Hesperides, though- it's a soft-textured, not-quite-so-sweet Golden Delicious. This even turns bit foody after a while- what initially was pure pumpkin turns into pumpkin bread. Still, the pumpkin bread and spices *cool*, not warm, and the sweetness is not in the least bit cloying. This is an absolutely lovely scent to wear out on a windy fall day (as opposed are to inside by a fire, where it might come off as a bit chilly). I love it! :P

I got my bottle today, and I am so happy I chose this one out of all the Weenies to buy a full 5 ml of. It is amazing. Spicy and smoky and slightly sweet. Wonderfully fallish. After I get my buttload of decants of other Weenies :P and decide if I want more of any of them, I may have to get myself another bottle of Samhain too. It's flove, I tell ya.

I have to agree - a lovely scent!

I love wearing pumpkin / fall smells, but I usually end up smelling like a candle store. Samhain's hint of chill really does do wonders to temper the foodyness. Absolutely gorgeous!

Samhain 2007

This was almost boozy to me in the bottle and, wet, is VERY strong. The clove-nutmeg-allspice, egged on by that black patchouli I think (which nearly kept me from buying a bottle), was a bit too much at first.

On drying, though, I really get that impression of a damp, slightly chilly evening. The patchouli here lends to the darkness rather than going the "head shop" route (or is it just red patchouli that does that? I'm not really up on patchouli notes) or herbal route.

The apple brings an open-air freshness and roundness to it and the spices just merge perfectly with it. All in all, very evocative. Quite a bit of throw on this one!

My brain says it smells some moonlight... :P

ETA: Wow... the spice amps, amps and amps again. Whee! With each phase of drydown, I like it more. I can see smelling this on my skin or in my hair the next morning and feeling comforted.

Edited by Grifyn

Samhain 2007

in the bottle: Mmmmm, apples. Not sweet, but more apples and a mixture of spices.

on (wet): Like wearing a warm spicy, drink of cider and rum. However, it BURNS on certain spots (my neck is really sensitive). I developed what I call the BPAL rash.

on (dry): Perfect, the scent is still going strong (I woke up the next morning and could still smell it), and hasn't changed much from the bottle.

verdict: 5 out of 5. I love love love this scent. It's spicy and warm and perfect for the autumn weather. It's not overly sweet, and it really hangs there and sort of envelopes you in this wonderful warming smell. BUT be careful if you have tender skin, because this one will burn.

samhain 06

oh my god... i never knew it was possible to put autumn in a bottle!!! the scent list was horrible, completely out of my usual pickings. and yet samhain somehow drew me to it.

as i opened the bottle i asked myself what again was the reason for getting it :D

in the bottle it smelled.. well foody.. and i don't have one single foody scent that i like. it smelled to me like spices, coffe, ginger and patchouli. why coffe and ginger i just don't know.

wet i could smell a strong rush of patchouli, along with some twisted spices and a brief whiff of pumpkin (pumpkin makes me sick, so at this point i got alarmed :) ).

and then as it dried, all the spices came into harmony, pumpkin dissapeared (thank god), and the dominating note was patchouli with a peppery tang to it. on the edges i could feel the apple, but it was very very light. i was sad, because love apple, and couldn't see how it could brake through the patchouli.

but then, as it dried and warmed up on my skin, the pathcouli suddenly started backing down, and a lovely spicy apple came out :P

there was no end to my joy, the apple went stronger and stronger, until the scent blended into a final mixture of smoke, something like burning leaves in the distance, apples and mullein

:D as i said in the beginning, autumn in a bottle.

oh samhain, how you have surprised me. i have my perfect autumn scent!!

Samhain 2006 (LE: Halloween 2006)

Bottle: Definitely some evergreen in there, it's almost a bit astringent.

Wet: Wow. Apple cider. Lots!

Drydown: Sweet, quite sweet, definitely apple-apple cider. It's shifting on me. Sometimes I get the apple cider, sometimes spices, and sometimes.. is that patchouli?

Dry: The cider sweetness is more subtle, with the spices better shining through.

Verdict: Keeping it, but I think the half bottle I have will do me fine. Would be willing to take another imp or so.

2007 Version~

This is kind of brown sugary almost maple syrupy to me. With hints of spice, and a little smoke. It is pretty sweet, and has a nice throw to it.

Completly evocative of fall.

2007 version:

In bottle/imp: Smoke, wax (like a candle burning) and spiced apples.

Immediately on skin: This is a very smoky, dry scent. I get a touch of fir needle and dry earth, with a bit of smoke and some slightly spiced apples in the background. The patchouli is very evident.

After a few minutes: This scent is taunting me. It has the most subtle touch of yummy apple, but it’s lurking behind such a dark, dry, forest-like scent. The woods, fir needle, and patchouli really take center stage in this blend and are only letting the apple (and maybe a touch of pumpkin, too) peek through the smallest bit.

Overall Impressions: I wanted to like this, but I just don’t. It feels like it’s almost sweet enough for me, but then the drier notes get stronger and overpower the sweet apple and pumpkin. I’m sure there are people who love it, but I don’t enjoy this enough for a big bottle.

Later on (after it faded a bit): Now this is what I was hoping Samhain would be: smooth, light dirt and forest notes combined with smooth pumpkin and spiced apple. Yum! Too bad it takes 3 hours for the scent to morph into this!

Samhain 2007

In bottle: Mulling spices with a slight hint of astringent fir.

Wet: A swirling mixture of candle wax, smoke, earth, and spiced cider. I really like this!

Drydown: The pumpkin comes out more now, and the candle wax gets stronger. It's like burning a spiced pumpkin candle. One of my hobbies is candlemaking, so this is a very cool sensory experience.

Dry: A melange of pumpkin, spices, and a bit of dirt. The smoke and candle wax is still there, but has calmed down a bit.

Verdict: This reminds me strongly of how a jack-o'-lantern smells: Candle wax and smoky pumpkin. During drydown, the candle is still lit, and when it's dry, the candle is out and the pumpkin has cooled down a bit. It's like enjoying a mug of spiced cider on Halloween night, with glowing jack-o'-lanterns all around. Nice!

The very first thing I smell with this is the spices, mostly the clove and nutmeg. There's a hint of fir in the background, like drinking a hot mug of spiced tea while taking a stroll in the forest. As it dries I get a hint of spiced apple cider, but so far not even a hint of pumpkin. I definitely like it, though.

2007 version:

In the bottle and when I initially applied this, it had a very sharp note. I'm not sure what it was--maybe the fir. It was pretty intense and I'm hoping that as this ages, that sharp note becomes less prominent when this is wet. Luckily, on the drydown, it quickly became a gorgeous spicy Autumnal scent, with the spices like nutmeg and clove really coming to forefront. After about half an hour, it became sweet and the apple notes emerged. It started off with Autumn's cool damp breezes and mellowed into a comforting spiced pumpkin smell. Now it more like a sweet spiced apple on my skin, more like some kind of dessert than apple cider.

2007 version

In the bottle: Very sweet herbal that smells kind of tobacco-y. Is that mullein?

Wet: Mainly mullein with a background of damp woods, but it's not "woody". Then the spices come roaring out, especially the clove. After a minute, the apple creeps in and flirts with my nose, the little tease. I occasionally get a faint whiff of patchouli. After about 5 minutes the pumpkin appears, creamy and delicious.

Dry: This settles into an absolutely edible "spice-apple-cider-and-pumpkin" scent. It really does smell like I'm hanging out at a harvest festival held in an apple orchard, eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Absolutely delicious. After several hours, this smells a bit like Anubis. But that's ok, because I adore Anubis. This is definitely a winner.

Samhain 2007:

Apple cider, spices, woody overtones, and a hint of smoke -- the ENTIRE way, from bottle to dry-down.

My God, it's perfect! Exactly what I wanted Punkie Night to be... but PN went fake candle-y. Not so with Samhain -- this is all mug of spiced cider in hand and a roaring fire at your feet.

Throw: medium -- a dab gave me lovely close wafts of scent throughout the workday, but didn't kill my co-workers in the same office.

Lasting power: reasonably good. Was going pretty strong through the first 3 hours, went to skin scent/inches away fragrance for the next 3, gone after 6 hours.

Similar to: Queen Alice (its sister, of the woody cider -- soooooo good!!), Hesperides (some sort of distant cousin)

Samhain 2007 - Samhain is a blend that I haven't cared for at all in previous years. This year's blend, however, is quite nice. It's warm and spicy and a great autumn scent. The patchouli seems to be more low-key this year than in past year's blends. The apple does not turn rancid on my skin as usual, and it blends gorgeously with the pumpkin and spices. Unfortunately, just as with all previous versions of Samhain, even though I like this particular one, something in it makes me sick, giving me the world's most atrocious headache and miserable nausea. It's not a coincidence -- I have the exact same physical response to every year's version of Samhain. I'm going to blame it on the mullein since I don't really know what that note is. The scent is long-wearing and has excellent throw. I'm so bummed that this makes me ill, otherwise I'd definitely be wearing it regularly throughout Autumn.

I absolutely adore this (2007)! The fir is what I smell at first,but on me,it quickly fades to the background while the fruitier and spicier components come to the fore and linger a LONG time. The patchouli seems to give this just a bit of grounding and depth and on me there is a certain yummy nuttiness. Perhaps that is the combination of the patchouli melding nicely with the spices and fruit.

To describe it as an experience: for me,its like stepping outside,getting a whiff of fall woods with fir trees,stepping back inside to a cozy cabin smelling of spice and fall fruits. The window is open a bit and the scent of the woods and earth is there in the background,wafting in from time to time.

I love this so much,and have gotten complimented on it when I wear it,so I ordered another bottle for when the first runs out.

In the bottle, this smelled strongly like dirt, with barely a hint of pine. The patchouli was trying to sneak its way as well - and patchouli and I hardly get along.

Wet on me, this was a flash of pine with a touch of dirt...and then it morphed into this gorgeous warm almost-honeyed scent (even though there's no honey in this). After about an hour, it decided to cling to my skin a bit closer...but it was COMPLETELY gorgeous. I wore it in my scent locket too, just to see the sifference - in the locket, it was warm apples with delicious seasonings.

Much to my boyfriend's displeasure, I got a tiny bit on his arm...and luckily for him, it's this gorgeous outdoorsy scent. It smells like he took a nap in some rich soil under a pine tree - I probably didn't describe it right, but it's really sexy on him.

All in all - this is an intoxicating sexy scent that feels like drinking cider while cuddling up on the deck on a cabin in the middle of a pine forest. I hope this is released again next year so I can buy it then too!

Edited by Katiedid717

Samhain '07

In the Bottle: Er, okay. Not really what I expected. It's a bit too fruity...

I really wasn't impressed, in fact I was so unimpressed I went over a week before I sniffed it again.

Second sniff in the bottle: Oh, this is a little different. It must be the settling, but it's much more spicey and there is something in it that reminds me strongly of alcoholic punch. And there's something musk.

*Puts some on*

Wet: pretty similar to in the bottle. It feels very magical, I can strongly imagine this being similar to a potion at Hogwarts. Or alcoholic Pumpkin Juice.

Drydown: This is so gorgeous, it truely is the scent of Halloween. It conjours up images of witches and vampires. It's so strong and luxurious. A second (maybe even third) bottle of this will definately find its way into my next order!

Samhain '06...

When I got this last year I was eh on it, but decided to give it another year... Now, I'm still not impressed. I don't get much of the foodiness others have mentioned... To me it smells like wet leaves... Wet leaves that were on fire and then burnt? I can sense notes between the surface. It WANTS to work on me, I can tell... It just doesn't. Eventually it just smells to me like wet leaves and burnt maple syrup... I so wanted to like this one. It does remind me of autumn, but it isn't something that works on me, or that I'd wear. Even in the bottle it isn't appealing.

:| I'm afraid I'll have to swap/sell this one... Too bad.

in the bottle woof, sharp and rich and complex. it smells a bit like... asphalt actually, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense. there's allspice and apple lurking very close under the surface of the fir needle

wet on skin wow, i really don't like this phase. the asphalt smell is stronger now and there's something that smells like burnt tires.

dry on skin once the fir calms the hell down, this is amazing. it's incredibly dark and autumnal, like rain on leaves in autumn with a lurking reek of overripe apples, burned out jack-o-lanterns, and a waft of baking spices on the wind. i really adore this scent. spectacular.

eta a month later, this is the scent that i come back to again and again. i really love samhain and got tons and tons and tons of comments on it. it really agrees with me.

Edited by ravenfeathers

Samhain 07

This is the BPAL scent I was most anticipating as soon as I saw the website for the first time (about a month ago), and I was almost heartbroken when I finally put it on. Almost.

In the imp: Oh...mmm...mulled cider awesomeness with a hint of crisp leaves. My friend Martha sniffs it and says she smells more of a woodsy dried leaf smell.

Wet on skin: Huh? It's all damp woods and burning leaves the moment it touches my skin. It smells GOOD but a little masculine, and I want my pumpkin, apples, and spices!

Initial drydown: :P Ok, NOW I'm getting a whiff of chemical plastic under the leaves, which is exactly what Jack did to me (please don't it let be the pumpkin note!). I'm devastated!

One hour later: Oh thank GOD. The plastic scent only lasted a minute and now I have the beautiful scent of apple cider wafting around me, complemented by the bite of the dry leaves and damp wood. YAY, THIS IS WHAT I WANTED.

The verdict: Absolutely gorgeous and after having worn this multiple times, I never smelled the chemical plastic scent again. It has decent throw but not overwhelming. Hours later it's a faint lovely spicy scent, and I have no problem with reapplying to get the woods again and start the "scent adventure" all over! Goes straight to my top five! PERFECT Fall scent! :D

Edited by paperbacknovel

In the bottle: FIR.

Wet: FIR AND PATCHOULI

Dry: " "

After an hour: " "

It's like patchouli and I are battling and I'm losing-- it's all I can smell. I put Samhain on a q-tip to see if any of the pumpkin and spices that I so dearly wanted would come out, but it sadly hasn't :D

I still want to hold on to it and see how it ages.

1/15/08- Aging definitely helps! The fir is still present, but the patchouli takes a backseat (which is great, as I hate patchouli.) It's spicy pumpkin and damp leaves and I love it. Even better, I've received a compliment while wearing it :P

4/5, will buy again!

Edited by policyoftruth

I just got this today!!! It is better than wonderful. in the bottle its very autumny, almost like october except a little more spice and pumpkin. On my arm it was almost the same except warmer. After it dried...Oh joy!!! its the most amazing smell when its dry. the smel of musky autumn leaves, rain and pumpkin. you can catch hints of apple that are just lovely and the patchouli is barely there except for a nice subtle and soft wiff in the far backround. This perfume is my new fave, it has catapolted ahead of Carfax Abbey. I am almost sorry that I pre-sold a couple decants of it. I am gonna hoard this and buy another bottle.

Another Fall favorite!

Wet: Fir, patchouli, smoke, and faintly sweet spices. This is quite a bit different from last year's, which was very much pumpkins and apples.

Dry: The patchouli gets stronger, but so do the apples, pumpkin and spices. They blend together and make each other behave. The smoke stays in the background. This is really beautifully done. The combination of apples, pumpkin and patchouli with a breath of smoke is just perfect.

I know what I'll be wearing to Sleepy Hollow this year!