Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Truly the scent of autumn itself -- damp woods, fir needle, and black patchouli with the gentlest touches of warm pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, allspice, sweet red apple and mullein.

2018 Version

This is my first time trying Samhain and its a fresh and unsettled bottle, so Im sure this will be VERY subject to change. Ill probably update this with a follow-up in a week or so to get a slightly better impression. Also, I have a bottle of the All Hallows Chaos version (#3) that Ill test later on.

In the Bottle: It smelled almost like slightly burnt maple syrup or something. I felt the scent was beginning to change, but I wasnt willing to sit around and huff the bottle to puzzle it out.

Wet on Skin: It smells sort of like a bitter bonfire when I put it on. I think that must mostly be the black patchouli and maybe the damp woods?

Drying: Fortunately, this has been settling down as I wear it. Theres still a bitter and smoky aspect to the scent, but its more in the background than it was before. I smell warm apple and spices, as well as a hint of booziness; presumably the mulled wine, though its all giving me some sort of alcoholic spiced cider vibe. I think I smell a little bit of pumpkin in there, but its not really a major player to my nose. I think Im picking up more on the fir as well.

Essentially, it smells like drinking apple cider at a bonfire near some woods. Its a pretty good scent so far, when I dont mind something that has a slightly bitter edge to it. Ive seen this perfume described as smelling like an evil, sexy thing and I think I can understand that vibe. If youre looking for something gothy or autumnal, then this seems worth a shot.

EDIT: For some reason, all of the apostrophes and quotation marks disappeared from my post? Dont know why. Edited by KezzieZ

This is by far my favorite Bpal right now. The patchouli and fir needle are super strong in the bottle and when wet on my skin but as it dries I get the sweetness of the apple, the buttery pumpkin and the spices. It lasts all day which is hard for me to find in any perfume unless is is overwhelming. This is seriously the perfect perfume, and I can't stop smelling myself.

2017 version

This blend was pleasant last year, in its youth, but a tad flat and lackluster. Now that it has aged a year, it's starting to show its depth.

Fresh on, the overall impression I get is of dark, warm red apples: mashed, baked, and softly spiced. Apples intended for cider.

What I'm perceiving as a darkness to the apples is mostly a smooth black patchouli blending in with them, as close as their shadows. There's a woody hint, but mostly this is a grounding patchouli. Pumpkin adds a buttery warmth without being overtly pumpkin or foodie. (Nice, because intensely pulpy pumpkin scents can make me feel queasy.)

After Samhain dries, I pick up more wood, and start to notice the fir as a crisp, wintry note along the edge. There's also a rustic, herbal quality to the woods that might actually be the mullein. I like the way it's working with the woods and spices.

I feel like I should be drinking hot cider to go with this (preferably spiked, and all day), but I can make do with the ginger tea I have.

Happy with this blend.

My first Samhain, woohoo!

In the imp: Wow, there's a lot going on here. It's mainly a spicy-fruity scent, but I wouldn't exactly call this a gourmand. It's rounded out by hints of woodsiness - sometimes sharp and green, sometimes earthy and almost damp-smelling. Very much a cool-weather scent, like walking through the woods between rain showers, with a cup of something warm in your gloved hands.

Wet: The apple evaporates 99% entirely, and the sweet mulled spices 85%. What I'm left with is a fascinating scent that I thiiiiiink is mostly pumpkin and patchouli. TBH, it reminds me most of apple rootstock, woody pumpkin stems, and firewood laid out but not yet lit. There's also a note in here that reminds me of... hay? Cedar? Alfalfa? It reminds me of the way the hutches of my pet mice and guinea pigs used to smell, but in a good way. I think that might be the mullein, which I have zero experience with, but google tells me is a healing herb. It's almost a dry, dusty smell, while still remaining very vegetal. Huh, interesting!

Dry: A beautiful balance between ITI and wet. The spices and apples (and I do agree that these are red apples) make a comeback, but the woodsy, pumpkin-y notes also hold their own. This one lasts for a looooooooong time - still discernible after 14 hours, albeit as an unexpected but distinct honey note.

Overall, I wouldn't entirely call this a foodie scent, although the apples, spices, pumpkin, etc. are prominent. I guess this a scent of harvest, of storing fruits and vegetables in dry root cellars against the winter.

2018 Version.

To be honest this scent isn't really something in my interests, typically. Seeing the patchouli would normally be enough to scare me away. However I was reassured that this scent doesn't really smell how you think it would based on the notes, doesn't really smell strongly of patchouli, and is also incredibly popular. Probably the number one recurring 'weenie. And usually scents are popular for a reason, so... I got it. And tried it. And to be honest, it's really, really pretty.

Initially there's a strong crisp freshness from the apple. Very juicy, red and sweet. Crisp, clean, cool. This is a top note though and it does fade after a bit, til I'm just getting the occasional whiff of that fresh apple smell.

A lot of the coolness comes from the fir needle as well. There is a point after application when it's still settling where this does lean a touch medicinal from the fir.. it has a light astringent quality. But it does settle down. Really just lending a coolness to the scent, and something vaguely coniferous.

A lovely mellow creamy pumpkin manages to wiggle it's way more to the forefront as the apple fades. It's very mild.. this scent really doesn't scream 'pumpkin' or even 'foody'. It's a nice grounding base, sweet and soft.

There is a mix of herbal mullein and some woody notes. The patch in this is probably reading as woody as well. It's a nice dark smell that really lends a lot to the autumnal feel of this.

The spice notes are very well blended. This isn't a spicy scent to be honest, but you can tell they're there. Just a nice mix of pumpkin pie spices, essentially. I will admit that on application there was a bit of skin irritation on my neck, but it disappeared within a minute or two.

Overall, a really gorgeous scent. Very well blended. I really can't see myself wearing this outside of autumn or winter, but I still got a bottle. It can only get better with age.

(2007 version.)

Wet: Warm spiced apple cider, with some dark wood notes. Really evocative.

Dry: This is one of those uncommon blends that smells basically the same wet vs. dry. 

Not a note combination I'm typically drawn to, but I'm really glad to have this in my collection; this gets a LOT of use in October/November!

Very atmospheric and evocative of fall. This makes me feel like I'm walking between the shadows of harvest festival bonfires, breathing in the scent of spiced cider and woodsmoke. I don't know why I get a smoky vibe from this, but it's there. Will definitely use this next fall.

I have the 2008 version just for reference.

Verrry dark and spicy, almost smokey with the littlest hint of apple.The aged version is a little much for me but I would like to try a newer batch to see the difference but it is a very " october " smell. 

Fall in a bottle. It opens with a whoosh of spice and fir needle, which I found a touch overwhelming but not unpleasant. After the cardamom and nutmeg leap out wielding fir needles, black patchouli joins the party. Wet on my skin, it's pretty much the same as in the bottle. The drydown is where this gets interesting for me. Fresh pumpkin and sweet apple form the base of the scent and let the spices settle down a touch. I keep wanting to call the pumpkin dank... not in a bad way, but in that way freshly carved pumpkin is vegetal and not sweet. Maybe that's the damp woods; all the sweetness belongs to the apple. Towards the end of the drydown I got a nice vanilla note? None of the smoke mentioned by previous reviewers. 

This has all the feelings of real fall and no fake pumpkin spice. Long wear, decent throw.* 

*2020 version, fresh. I have not smelled or skin tested previous versions. 

2020 version: Sweet and spicy with a hint of freshness from the fir needles. Not getting any smoke. Quite a comforting smell and not too heavy and overwhelming like some incensey leaning scents can be. 

This review is for 2018, I'll update this review for my bottle of the 2017 version if it's different than this decant.

Samhain morphed a lot on me when I first applied it. I immediately could smell the apple, pumpkin, and patchouli. But within mere seconds the clove, nutmeg, and allspice came forward more. Since it's been dry for a while, the main notes I get are the apple, pumpkin, and nutmeg with the previously mentioned notes still there but much less prominent. Sadly, I'm not picking up any other notes like the fir needles. But as someone who loves gourmand, I am not disappointed in the slightest. This is a very fall scent, but I'd wear this any time of the year.

I think this is one of the best BPAL scents I've tried and I'm eagerly awaiting my bottle!

2015 version.

It took FIVE YEARS for this scent to be wearable. FIVE. I bought this after testing a friend's bottle from ...2006? 2007? Whichever version she had, I was in love with it. When I got this, I said GACK because it was so strong and overwhelming, and put it away. I tested it a couple times a year after that, and around 2018 it started to get more tolerable. It's still not the same as the older version I tried, but I like it much more now. It's a cool, resinous apple and slightly buttery pumpkin. The spices and the wood have melded together to give a generally dry effect.

2020 version.

This is the first Samhain I've tried. I have no idea what it smells like aged, though it seems like most people find it to be more wearable after aging. However, I found it quite nice as is. This isn't a me scent, really. The notes made this seem as though it would be a thick, heavy scent, but it's not at all. In my decant, I get apple, herbs, and patchouli, and it is very sweet. Patchouli is one of those scents that rarely works on me, but I wanted to give it a shot here. On my skin, I get a hint of something minty, which might be the fir needle. The patchouli is so soft, not at all like other patchouli scents I've tried. I definitely amp apple, so I get a lot of that, but this scent is very gentle, and the spices are just adding some more earthiness. It smells soft and damp, exactly like walking through an abandoned orchard in late autumn. It's nice and earthy, but the apple keeps it sweet and interesting. I'm interested to see what aging does to this, but I'm happy with how it is now.

2020 version

OMG this is overbearing. The sweetness in it is downright shrill, and while near the end, the patchouli gives it a more smoky hue, it's just not enough. And go figure, it lasts foreeeeeeever, with an in-your-face throw. I think I tried this before and didn't like it that time, either -- maybe I just need to be patient or dedicated, and either age this or hunt down an older bottle. For now, though, oof.

I have a decant of the 2019 version. 

Damn these are some really damp woods. Like woods that have been set on fire and then heavy rain started. I also get some buttery slightly tart sweetness from the apples. Weirdly it's the sweet part of the blend that reminds me of Samhainophobia even though there are no apples listed in the notes of that one. I can not distinguish the other notes. 

I can see how I'd like the scent a lot but there's this dank smell, most likely the damp woods, that make it a little funky. I'm not sure if I want to evaporate this for others to smell as it might come across as musty basement. But maybe it's just my nose being weird right now because I sniffed too much perfume. 

2020 Version:

Giving my blind bottle of 2020 Samhain a full wear today. I have several previous years of it, as well as the hair gloss and atmo spray, so I knew what to expect, other than that this year has cardamom listed as a note. This is the first one that has really given me the scent of apples! I never seem to get that from it. Finally an apple-y Samhain for me! Also, the menthol scent is much lighter than in my previous versions. This one is also sweeter.

And a couple of hours later, I added a dab of the Cinnamon and Clove duet to it. That didn't really change it other than to remove the rest of the menthol note I always get from it. Great layering combo.

Samhain 2020

literally smells like Halloween decorations. I don’t know how Beth does it but bpal perfume should be classed as an art form. 

2020 Version:

For reference, I’ve never had another year of Samhain. When I first got this in the mail, for the first week or two, this was ALL APPLES. But not like crisp fresh apples, more like spicy sweet apple cider. It was nice, but almost astringent, and I wanted more of the other notes to peek out more so I’ve been letting it sit for about three months and gave it another test drive today. AND WOW IS THIS GOOD. It is THE smell of autumn. It’s still spicy and I can smell the apples still, but it’s so much more complex after just a few months. I can smell the leaves and crisp autumn air and the dirt and the clove and the nutmeg. I can only imagine how delicious this will be by actual Samhain this year, and in the years to come.

2020 version:

WINNER. absolute winner. everything I have ever wanted in an autumn scent. genuinely smells like fall and is so atmospheric. 

I may be in the minority but I find this to be straight up sexy. like "be my druidess" type o negative vibes. my skin is amping the crisp and damp woods, clove ciggie smell, and boozy apple cider. picking up some pine tar too which may be the dark patchouli. just....dreamy sigh. beautiful, evocative, naughty, and downright moody. 

will definitely be picking up any iterations of this scent that become available. 

2021 version

I've never smelled any previous versions. Something in here smells a bit like vicks vapor rub. A mulled wine and apple is just behind that. Is the pine acting like vicks? Unfortunately this one gives me a headache!

Samhain 2021

This one is a little hard to parse. Ostensibly, it smells like warm spiced apple cider, though not overly sweet or anything. There's something about it that makes it smell more wearable though and not just a foodie scent, but I couldn't tell you what exactly. A little powdery. It smells like you would expect a fall themed candle to smell, but like the best version of that and not actually like an awful overpowering candle. I can see why this is a recurring autumnal favorite.

After an hour it smells pretty close to the same, except more powdery and less apple-y. My sweetie says they smell patchouli strongly from a distance, but either I am not picking it up or I'm not that familiar with what patchouli smells like.

Throughout wear it got more powdery, but didn't otherwise change very much other than fading away slowly. I'm not sure that I want to smell like this perfume, but I want to make a room smell like this. I might have to experiment with my diffuser and decide if I'd want more of it for that purpose.

2021 review

Spiced apple cider, tinges of patchouli, strong mentholic pine. This smells like a haunted woods where witches are doing rituals. I think its the strong mentholic pine that is amping up the spooky factor. Good throw and wear length.

Oof. I love Samhain. I've got a 10ml, 2019, 2020, and 2021. The first time I tried was 2017. I was a fool. I yeeted. Luckily, though, I yeeted to a friend who wore it around me. It smelled so good on her that I had to try again. Every year I've tried has started out Simple Green, and ended up gorgeous woods with a baking pie in the distance. This year, I'm convinced has mullein, which is a very creamy green herb to me.

In conclusion: Just as gorgeous as every year with addition of a forward mullein.

Samhain 2021 

It's the first time I try Samhain, and the more I wear it the more I am in love with it. Wet it's all dark damp woods, and as it dries down I get more of the spices. They are not overwhelming at all, and the sweetness of the apple is just enough to brighten up the mood just a tiny bit without killing the mysterious vibe. After an hour or so it morphs into creamy/velvety mellow spices (maybe it's with the help of the black patchouli?), it's softer but not losing any of its personality.

I will definitively buy another one, I just can't stop reaching for it!

2021 Version

I cannot say what exactly this smells like. This is one of those scents that is more a mood than any individual components. It's a sweetish smell, lightly spicy. It's dry, not damp. I do not get any apple, but there is a fruity smell there that's vaguely cherry. And something like the crunch of dead leaves, but not excessively leafy, or piney. Definitely autumnal.

Honestly, I am at a loss as to how to coherently describe this scent. All I know is that I absolutely LOVE it. I love this. And thank goodness for that because Samhain is my favorite band, above Danzig, above the Misfits. I am now officially prepared for next Halloween season. I hope this doesn't change too much with age because I love it as is.