Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aldercy

Delight and Consternation

Bourbon vanilla, custard accord, white rose, cocoa absolute, oudh, lemon blossom, and skin musk.

Tricky tricky scent. My bottle has literally been sitting for years (lol). So when I rolled it, yeah I have like epic sludge at the bottom of my jar. =o I really had to roll it a WHILE before I got the dark sludge down the side instead of solid chunks on the bottom. Then rolled it longer still until it was flawless smooth. Important, I think.

You know the scent though. You gotta look at the image this was based on, and then I think it all makes sense. This scent is ... wonky but serious.

So my skin amps rose, turns chocolate into chalk, and half the musks amp and the other half are weird. So, this was a little risky for me. But I was too intrigued by custard not to try.

Overall, the scent is dominantly perfumed wood for me. I can FIND the notes listed if I search, but it doesn't come across obviously. The mixture of everything is well mixed, so it creates a unique scent. Which is... sweet fruity-esq musk wood.

I was thinking of when I'd wear this - and this feels WEIRDLY appropriate to wear in blank pantsuits and heels.

I wish I had more vanilla and custard, but hey. That wouldn't match the image at all :D

Edited by Aveya

My favorite summer gelato combination is dark dark chocolate and tart lemon sorbet, so I was looking forward to this one a lot. But it just isn't working on me. I rolled the decant, which has the requisite brown globules, but I'm not getting chocolate as strongly as I would like. Vanilla custard with a little bourbon sauce served at a table with a single rose in a vase, yes. Oudh, not really. Lemon, nowhere to be found. I just can't make it out at all. It's quite a pleasant scent, just not what I was hoping for.

I'm getting mostly custard and a powdery vanilla scent. In the wet stage, there's a good waft of cacao, but it flees with the dry down.

I wish I was getting more rose & lemon blossom! Like Lucchesa says, pleasant, but not all I expected it to be.

Will use up the decant for a comfy goody vanilla scent, though.

digging through a box of mega-old imps and decants, i ran across this one and the thick cocoa sludge caught my eye. after much mixing and a hesitant skin test, i think i may have found a hidden gem. back in the day, i wasn't too keen on anything overly perfumey, so the oudh likely turned me off then.  but i am enjoying it much more these days. 

the cocoa, vanilla, and custard here lay down a full, rich foundation. but it is less sweet and foody than that dessert-menu note list would lead you to expect. the oudh/musk are keeping the gourmand notes firmly in check, and they are definitely the main players here. they give it a high-end perfumey-ness that just smells so luxe.  just a wee little bit of that rose is hanging out somewhere in the middle, and i am shocked, SHOCKED i tell you, that it is playing out so nicely on me.  i've never tried white rose before... could this be a rose i can tolerate?? 

if nothing else, i would definitely like to see that custard note again someday. 

in the unlikely event that i find this one languishing in someone's destash, i might just have to scoop it up. 

Edited by MamaMoth