Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Belgian Chocolate, Honey, Cubeb Berries, Black Mission Fig, and Avocado

I am most intrigued by the inclusion of an avocado note in here- let's see how it goes!

In The Bottle: I'm getting a tart citrus note here, and, mixed with the sweetness, is actually reminding me slightly of Christmas at my aunt and uncle's house as a kid, playing with my Strawberry Shortcake dolls. That's not to say this scent smells plasticky, because it doesn't. but there's just that amalgam of sweet and tart and warmth...it's off to a good start.

Wet On Skin: The sharp citrus of what I can only imagine to be the cubeb berries is thoroughly embedded amidst the chocolate and the creaminess of the avocado. It's odd, but it's working.

Dry Down: This is reminding me a bit of the Dark Chocolate, Chocomint and Lime of Box O' Chocolates Past. It's like this is that scent's 2nd cousin. I like both for their dark chocolate note that stays true, and for the odd tang that the other notes are lending to it. Low throw, this is a strange but likeable scent. It shall have a nice place amid my Chocolate Scent collection.

smile.gif

In bottle: This is the richest dark chocolate not I’ve ever smelled in a fragrance. The honey is strong support. I expected the cubeb berries to be peppery, but I’m getting a strong citrus vibe from this. I can’t swear it’s the cubeb, but I don’t see what else it could be except maybe avocado. There is something soft and avocado like tying things together, but I could be mistaken, not having smelled avocado in a fragrance before. The fig is soft support for the chocolate. Wet: It is actually peppery on the skin with the chocolate still dominant. It is still citrusy, but it’s softer and better blended. The honey and fig still go beautifully with the chocolate. It’s quite nice, and reminds me of the green tea ganache in a previous box of chocolates collection. Dry: Whatever is making the citrusy (avocado? Cubeb?) scent is strongest on the dry down. There is something berrylike and figlike in there. It’s pleasant enough, but hard to parse.

Edited by Gwydion

This is pure cubeb on me, very citrusy, bright and sweet. As it dried deep earthy fig with a dusting of chocolate join the cubeb. This reminds me of crib girls, but I like this better.

Edited by BuxomM

In the decant this is almost all chocolate with just a hint of fruit. Wet on my skin I'm getting lime and dusty chocolate, it smells exactly like Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle of which I already have a bottle. Twenty minutes later and I'm finally detecting a bit of fig.

Honey and fig. This smells a little green on my skin. The chocolate is not showing up on my skin very much, but in the bottle it was quite strong. The avocado adds a fresh, creamy dimension.

I got decants of all the Box o'Chocolates.

Unfortunately I have to say this one is my least favorite. It was not really what I expected.

I expected it to be fruity and creamy but I basicly just went sour on my skin.

I couldnt even detect the Chocolate all that much and this is suprising because I normally amp chocolate so much that even most 13 blends are pretty chocolaty on me.

It went from a lemony scent straight to a pretty sour berry scent on my skin and stayed that way.

Staying power is pretty decent though.

Unfortunately not for me but I cant win them all...

When 1st applied I smell the cubeb berries and honey, mostly. It's reminiscent of a cherry cordial chocolate, actually. During drydown, the cubeb and honey mellow, allowing the subtle creaminess of the avocado to shine. the fig makes a notable appearance too. I can smell more creaminess from the belgian chocolate too.

Overall, this went better than expected. Very creamy, fatty, rich and slightly syrupy with notable avocado flesh smell. Unique and I'll be reaching for it more often, having remembered the awesome drydown phase.

Ultra creamy chocolate, honey and fig. Hints of citrus, and green. This one is a very interesting chocolate. I'd actually be interested in EATING this if it were an actual bonbon.

Toothsome, creamy, tasty.

This is just gross. :sick: Seriously...gross. :sick: The cubeb is the first thing you smell and it stomps all over EVERYTHING!!!! When it dries there is a barely there scent of musty, rotten, dark chocolate and spoiled fig on my skin. NO WAY JOSE! This has got to go!

In the decant: Chocolate and a tiny whiff of fig.

On skin, wet: Chocolate and maybe a bit of cubeb. Showing signs of turning to cocoa powder on me already... *wary*

On skin, dry: Chocolate, cubeb and even a bit of fig. It's yummy! My god, could it be? A chocolate BPAL that works on me? That hasn't happened since Freak Show.

After an hour: Actually, the fig/chocolate combo reminds me a lot of Freak Show. The cubeb definitely gives it a bit of something else, but I shall have to deathmatch them. Still, I am very pleasantly surprised by this one.

In the decant: Chocolate-honey with the fruits, with an edge. :)

Wet: Wow, and not in a good way, as the cubeb slams to the front!

The dry-down: The cubeb is backing off, but there's still too much of it. My fear of the cubeb was what kept me from ordering a bottle right off, and that seems to have been justified. I'll check on it in another hour and see how things are doing. If it would get back to the cold sniff. Otherwise, I'll save this for the scent locket.

A little later: The cubeb did die down, but not enough, and the chocolate is turning into dry cocoa powder (not at all sweetened). Blast my wonky skin chemistry!

ETA: Did a re-test. Got a little more of the avocado this time around, but otherwise, much the same. :(

Edited by thekittenkat

This starts off similar to Cerberus (they both have notes of chocolate, fig, and cubeb), but a little more perfumey and with a hint of a smooth, green note that must be the avocado (a little like the lab's bamboo note on my skin). Unfortunately, unlike Cerberus, this quickly dries down to a vague, light, simple scent. It smells like chocolate and sour, lemony cubeb. No more fig or avocado to keep it interesting, and the lemony scent is too sharp for my tastes. The drydown is actually similar to White Chocolate with Mate, Hazelnut, and Banana Cream, which was also disappointingly lemony smelling on me...

Milk chocolate with fresh fruit, berries I think. Same dry, but a bit dusty. I don't like my chocolate mixed with fruit for smelling or eating, and the berry note is what is coming through on me. Pretty nauseating on me.

In the bottle - Thick chocolate with a hint of fresh greenness and a tiny hint of something sour

Wet on me - A fizzy bright cubeb and avocado scent with a background of chocolate

Dry on me - A smooth chocolate that disappears quickly

Overall - I was hoping this would be comparable to my beloved Cerberus but it just gets eaten on my skin

This is a review a la the girl

Her first hit was of chocolate. Then, she amended it to how a candy store smells as in captain crunch. But, she also keeps getting hits of floral. She is in love with it