Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Vivamus, Mea Lesbia, Atque Amemus

Scorn the foolishness of others and love, for life is too brief, and death brings everlasting sleep: Ethiopian ambrette seed, summer honey, Alpine lavender, cognac, mate resinoid, peru balsam, and red musk.

In the Bottle: The Astringent quality of the Alpine Lavender is the first thing I get upon sniffing the bottle, followed closely by both the mate resinoid and the Ethiopian ambrette seed, which both add a "green" and pungent smell.

Wet On Skin: Ah, hello cognac, *there* you are! and red musk- so nice to see you! :lol: This is most certainly the red musk note from Smut, and here at this stage it's grounding the lavender and those 'green' notes nicely, as they all seem like they're operating on a higher frequency. So the red musk is acting very earthy in this context. It's a surprise, but I'm liking it.

Dry Down: This is one of those scents that has completely morphed from the time it was in the bottle to settling into my skin. I'm getting the cognac and the balsam of Peru both making something dark and a little smoky-sweet, and then the red musk twisting in over that, with a touch of that mate resinoid coming in with a slight citrus finish, almost as an afterthought. This is a somewhat heady, rather complex scent, and I'm betting it's only going to get better with age.

In All: Low to medium throw. I've been wanting a secondary scent that had the red musk note I adore so much in my beloved Smut, as smut can be a little overwhelming in some environments, like a day at work. Red Lace had a bit of it, but I always felt like I wanted more red musk than Red Lace could really live up to. But with Vivamus here, I really feel like I've got something that I'll want to wear again and again through the remaining dark winter months.

Love! :wub2:

In bottle: Fascinating. The lavender is quite strong, but there’s an ambrette, balsam, and musk faction that gives it a sensuous feel. The mate is unusual and gorgeous support to the lavender. The honey is ubiquitous and smoothes out the incense and musk faction. The cognac is understated but stunning as it plays with the honey and the mate. Wet: The balsam comes out stronger on the skin and starts arm wrestling the lavender for the dominant position. Red musk does much the same with the ambrette for the next most powerful spot. This is my skin chemistry at fault, as it does poorly with balsam and amps red musk. The more gentle elements get pushed into the background, which is unfortunate. I loved this in the bottle and my skin ruined it. Dry: Balsam mostly, with some musk.

What is in this that is lemony?!? I was sooo looking forward to this one. On application, I get the pretty lavender, honey, red musk, and something kind of cool smelling. It seems like it is going to be uh-mazing!! But then after a few seconds something comes through that smells like LEMON!! :ack: Perhaps it is the peru balsam? Whatever it is, sadly it ruins the otherwise beautiful blend for me.

Uhhh...this is gonna sound really weird, but I smell the atmosphere created by an old, home window model, air conditioner mixed with lavender. I really can't shake it.... I mean I actually really like the smell of old air conditioners (my sinuses don't like what it does to them but that's off topic), but this is bizarrely unexpected.

Quick thoughts! I love this but I'm confused by the notes: if I didn't know better I would think this was the love child of Tea and Lemon sticky bat! Yum.

ETA: with beautiful light citrussy lavender...I really like this!

Edited by Herb Girl

Of all the Lupers, I had the most incentive to try this one. It's got several great notes in it (honey, balsam, the red musk, and lavender), and it's named for my favorite Catullus poem.

In the vial: This surprised me a lot. It was predominantly a bright and very citrus-like lavender honey scent, with something warm and rich beneath.

Wet: I had a momentary problem with whatever that citrusy note is; it's the one that sometimes turns crittery on me. But it was minor and went away quickly. Mostly I get a light and well-behaved citrusy lavender, moderate amounts of slightly floral honey, and a touch of something warm and musky.

Half an hour: Wow, has this warmed up into a musk and honey scent. I guess the lavender settled down a lot, because this is no longer light and citrusy. It's warm and heady; the ambrette adds a sort of growly brown note, a sort of bass purring, to the scent. And the balsam is coming up, which is always nice. Cognac note is pretty much unnoticeable which is unusual; usually that amps on me.

Two hours: On me the red musk hasn't done its usual in the face thing. I love red musk, including its tendency to dominate lesser notes, but this time it's being very well mannered. The honey is likewise not turning powdery, amping, going too sweet, or behaving like a closeted floral. The lavender isn't hurty, or strident; it's behaving more like a minor herbal note. Everything is blending together very happily.

I quite like this and will probably grab a bottle of it.

Soft red musk, ambrette and cognac. The lavender is a little biting, but it quickly smoothes out. The red musk here isn't as dominant on my skin as it's been known to be. There is a disjointed feel to this though, but I can't figure out what's making it. I'm going to let this age a bit and try it again.

Ummm.... this is kinda nice. Red Musk always shouts and stomps all over everything, but this scent is a gentle clear red musk. There are other elements in it, sorta. And that's just it - everything else is "sorta". So instead of a loud stompy red musk marching all over my arm, I get clear gentle red musk stomping all over my arm. Maybe extreme drydown will be different; if so, I'll edit this.

Darn that honey note -- foiled me again. Wet Vivamus wasis pure heaven on me. I immediately loved it slathered all over my arm and huffed it over and over again for nearly a half hour.

Then something weird happened: the notes disappeared into my skin completely and I couldn't smell anything other than a bit of honey gone funky. But then the funky honey slowly started getting louder and louder and doing it's bad thing that it tends to do: turn into B.O. So I ended up with just a stinky arm. Am sad now. :(

[edit] I retract all the bad things I said about Vivamus. I'm in love with it now (honey be damned). Even my father didn't complain about it (and that says a lot!). It wears close to the skin like a skinscent.

Am hunting down all the bottles now. :wub2:

Edited by rawgirl75

ITI: Strong but comforting lavender followed by ambrette seed and balsam. It smells like the sweet first moments of falling in love to me.

Wet: Astringent lavender paired with red musk and honey - very pretty.

Dry: After 13 hours, I only can discern the lavender and musk. I loved smelling this throughout the day, so it's a clear winner for me.

Honey, lavender, red musk. On wet, there is a heavy citrus note and swirls of cognac. But then the honey and red musk make an appearance. \

Nice, honey lavender blend.

Honey, musky, comforting. (i find all blends with lavender comforting).

Imp: Lavender, fields and fields of lavender!

Wet: The mate is adding a citrusy undertone to the lavender. However, mate did not play nice with me with White Chocolate of this year's Chocolate Box so we shall see.

Dry: All red musk. I do love red musk but I'm at the point where I have so many red-musk-heavy blends that I definitely don't need another unless it's very special.

Edit: Ok, I revise my statement. I DO need more red musk and this IS special :D After an hour or so, the red musk backed off a bit and the citrus from the mate disappeared, leaving me with a soft red musk, honey, and lavender scent. I happened to catch a whiff of it while I was doing something and fell in love. I think this is another "need" for me and my red musk addiction!

Edited by brilliantcat

Vivamus is intensely perfumey lavender and the same mate that ruined the Banana Cream chocolate this year, lol. It smells like sour, dry, icky lemons. Then there's the cool lavender that's cloaked in a mishmash of perfumey qualities.. it reminds me of when I try to mix my own perfume oils and put too many mismatched notes together and just get this vague, indescript, sharp perfume smell. The mate gets stronger and stronger over time and I'm left with sharp, dry, tart lemon and that perfumey blah. I'm surprisingly not getting the red musk.

Edited by Little Bird

first sniff: OOOH!

there's so much going on here. vivamus is very sweet, with the honey, a light red musk and soft lovely lavender. mmm. wow. it's just so sweet and soft and musky. it makes me think of soft puffy pink and purple clouds, like a beautiful sunset. it's kind of like o and tko had a baby, a soft sweet cuddly baby. love this.

Wet: Ah, red musk. I have a weird association with red musk -- it smells like boba/bubble tea to me, kind of brisk and dark like black tea with just a little creamy sweetness.

Drydown: Honey and something a little sharp-smelling coming through. I've never tried anything with mate or ambrette seed, so I'm not sure what is doing it. It's a little piquant at the moment, but not too overpowering. I'm wondering if maybe this is too similar to Great Sword of War to need.

Dry: Greenness and fuzziness - assuming that's the cognac and lavender making an appearance. It's getting very sweet, but not in a foody or sugary way thankfully. Still not sure if it's different enough from GSoW, I'll have to death match them at some point.

Lemony lavender is what I get from this blend. The red musk and cognac are there if I realllly try to notice them, and the mate resinoid brings a green, herbal note. But yeah, mostly it's lemon and lavender. Don't like lemon; gonna swap.

This is reminding me of something, but I can't put my finger on what. Definitely a dark blend, smells like black musk and lavender. Oh, I think it's Haunted, with lavender :D I like it, but do have my fix for black musk scents. This is quite lovely, though. Oh, I see that it's red musk in the description, must be something in here that is reading black musk to me. But yes, I can see how it could be rm too. I dunno, this is growing on me. I may need more.

I had gotten this in a decant circle when it went live. I tried it shortly after getting it and I recall not really digging it, so let's see if aging it made it better!

In the imp: Cool sweetness and lavender with a touch of green.

Wet: Warm, sweet honey and musk and ambrette seed splashed with cognac. This is nice! :heart:

Drydown: Bit of sharp greenness now, and I'm catching whiffs of lavender.

Dry: Much of the same. Overall it smells like a fantastically complex flavored honey. I feel like I'm catching tea, too. Maybe that's from the red musk? So a jar brimming with honey next to a little cup of tea.

Aging really did wonders! I quite like you, Lesbia. :wub2: Da mi basia mille, deine centum!

Mmm.  Honeyed lavender and fruity red musk to start out, making this kind of like a lavender Smut.  Has there ever been a lavender Smut?  Lavender usually disappears on me, but this one lasts longer than most. Eventually I get the warm ambrette and maybe some cognac, though I never really smell the balsam or mate.  A lovely spring red musk blend, though.  I'm so glad I have this -- thanks to a generous circular swapper!