Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Unveil The Grace In Thine Eyes

Orris, luminous ambergris, and golden amber illuminated by a sunlit golden musk.

In The Bottle: The dusty-sweet scent of the orris is sharing a spotlight with the ambergris as soon as I put my nose close to the mouth of the bottle. I do not get anything else at this stage.

Wet On Skin: More of the same, with a slight powder edge coming out of the orris. This has definitely got a similar vibe similar to what was in Silver Haired Bat. It's a subtle scent, but has a strong presence as well.

Dry Down: Pure orris and ambergris. I get no musk or amber, which honestly is a relief as golden amber can go powdery on me and golden musk often smells like syrup on my skin (in a bit of an unpleasant way).

In All: Low to medium throw. Dry, sweet and dusty, this almost comes across to me as a desert scent. It also smells like a pared-down version of Silver-Haired Bat, which is great, because I love that scent quite a bit.

I'm glad I have a bottle- I will definitely wear this sometimes in place of Silver Haired Bat!

:D

I think it's orris that goes super powdery on me, because I love a lot of other amber scents. Reading the note lists and sniffing the bottle, I kind of get the comparisons to Silver-Haired Bat. However, these two scents translate very differently on my skin. SHB is really a beautiful scent on me with a nice throw. I get compliments when I wear it. Unveil the Grace in Thine Eyes goes through a super soapy phase wet on the skin, only to dry down to a super powdery stage, before disappearing completely. I'm afraid I'm going to have to rehome this one, which is a shame because the bottle art is gorgeous! I feel the pain of someone having to dump an extremely attractive person because they just don't have anything in common. :huh?:

Identical twin for Phoenix at Midday.

Seriously, if I didn't know any better, I would've sworn these were one in the same. Everything from the "warm" smelling musk, to the golden amber and bright citrus.

This is maybe a bit lighter than PaM because of the orris... gives it sort of a sparkling quality versus a heavier, hotter scent. But they're incredibly similar.

Orris root, golden musk, and ambergis. This perfume is gorgeous and light and made perfectly for me. I smell each individual note and then I smell how they blend together on my skin. I adore this scent and I am so glad I took a chance on it.

Every note is a huge win for me, so I confidently purchased a bottle unsniffed. LOTS and lots of orris (swoon)-- that dusty, feathery, warm, purple note that I love. Behind that some salty ambergris, resinous amber and a touch of what I would have said was Egyptian musk for it's bright, clear quality. As it dries down the amber and musk become less noticeable and the throw is almost entirely orris with a hint of ambergris. Not really a mind blowing blend, but for people who like these notes you can rest assured this will be an easy to wear and comforting scent.

Straightforward, dusty gold, with a hint of the amber from Gelt peeking through without dusty cocoa. I would say this is almost the floral version of Gelt, in that the dust is supplied by the orris! I love the dry, cold iris of Cytherea, and this is somewhat similar to that - still plenty of rooty, purple goodness, but with a sweet, honey-like warmth. I have to be cautious as amber does not tend to vary on my skin - and I have plenty of amber scents.

I kind of smell like 'LUSH,' although I have no idea what's giving me that scent association as the notes are nothing like that. I just get reminded of a melange of pleasant components. Maybe I smell like a bubble bar. Maybe I need some sleep.

I do like this, this will require more testing to see if I need more than this one bottle.

I find this to be one of those heart breakingly beautiful scents Beth conjures up that leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy. It has a warm and glowing gentleness to it. So so pretty. I can define each note, but they blend together well...leaving a gorgeous and light filled impression. :wub2:

This starts off with everything I love about orris and ambergris, a sort of fuzzy roundness and mellowness. It takes a little while for the amber to come up, and when it does I'm disappointed, because it's the type of golden amber that just does not do well on me, gives a sort of stale sweat scent to my nose. Eventually, that amber note dominates. Off to the sales with this one.

Got my decant of this today and immediately had to to try it as this has a lovely amber color compared to the other decants I got.

I'm not that great with picking out notes, but I can definitely pick up the orris and amber with my nose. The orris adds a bit of violet, powderiness while the amber warms it up. This scent is like a soft cuddly blanket to me. I like!

Like most, I get hit with the orris as soon as I opened my decant. It (fortunately) quickly pipes down a tiny bit-- I associate the smell with Johnson's baby shampoo and, while pleasant, I don't need to smell like it. There's a faint whiff of ambergris and maybe a gentle bit of musk. Either the amber is just softening it up or I'm not unentangling it from the golden musk. I might keep this decant to see how it ages.

this is a lovely powdery musky scent, which i like a lot...i tend to favor musks and amber in general. this really just smells like an ambery musk- warm but simple, uncomplicated and understated. it gives off that effortlessly sexy + cozy vibe to me, that i have often found in other warm amber scents. i like this quite a bit, and will keep my imp. probably won't get a bottle though, since i have so many scents in a similar vein :)

I have a slight stuffy nose and my skin's been dry lately, which may be throwing things off, but here goes...

This is a very soft scent, both subtle and kind of fuzzy. To be honest, I'd prefer a little more oomph from the orris and ambergris, since at its current balance it smells a lot like Possets' 301 to my nose, and I already have an imp of that. I think I may be amping the musk - it's a nice enough musk, but I was more interested in the other ingredients.

I'm not sorry I bought a decant - it doesn't smell *bad*, and I really liked the idea of having a Sappho scent - but I hope that aging shifts the balance of the scent a bit.

So, I've been trying to decide how I feel about this. It should have been glorious, every note is great on me. And it is great - except for the part where I keep getting wiffs of wet paper and wallpaper paste. I want the beautiful, fuzzy scent without the 'house remodeling' base.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

I'm pretty confused about this one..or rather my nose is.

1st time I tried: powdery orris, with barely a hint of warm amber and musk to brighten.

2nd time I tried (this morning): I swore there was vanilla in here until I rechecked the notes. Its lighter version of Lyonesse.

Overall: pleasing, clean without being detergent-y, warm, light, low throw, good for sneaky applications in an allergy-dominant workplace.

Violety orris on my skin, with amber to sweeten and a bit of musk adding depth. Overall powdery and light. It smells clean without smelling soapy.

ITI: It's a bit perfume-y, but I like the musk, orris root, and amber I'm getting on first sniff.

Wet: It's musky and powdery with the orris root, but the musk, and now amber after 5 seconds, is certainly warm and golden.

Dry: After a workout, the scent is much softer in terms of amber and musk with just a touch of ambergris. I like this much better once dried.

On me, this is a very soft amber. Soft, watery, barely there. It's a good under-the-radar scent for when you don't want people to notice your perfume - just that you smell nice.

I love this scent! But then, I thought I would, the first time I read the description. Every single note in this oil is a winner for me, and I love anything powdery or musky.

On my skin, this starts out with a strong orris note, so strong it almost registers as a soapy violet -- like an expensive bubble bath. But it quickly settles down into a cool, powdery sort of musk. As it dries down further, the amber and ambergris notes are more apparent, and it becomes a bit sweeter. The orris hangs on for the duration like a fine French talc. If opals or mother-of-pearl were a fragrance, this would be it.

It's simply stunning if you like powdery or light-musky blends. The only thing I can say negative about it? It's light, and it doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power. And it's very close to the skin, not a lot of sillage. However, I've got a couple of bottles on the way, and I'm planning to hoard mass quantities in an upcoming Lab purchase, so I'll be able to slather. :wub2:

Comparing this to other oils, I'd say it's like the love child of Cytherea and Psychological Horror. It's different from Cytherea in that it's sweeter, more musky and less dry and dusty. The main difference from Psych Horror is that it's powdery, but not *baby* powdery, and it's much lighter and less tenacious, with a different musk (or at least, one that seems different to me).

I've always had a bit of a thing for ambergris, but Silver-Haired Bat really turned that thing into a full-on love affair... so of course I was hoping for this Luper would be something special :smile:

And it is! As with SHB, the ambergris here is silky and shiny - exactly what it says in the description... it's luminous, glowing, lovely. Dancing softly through that silkiness is the soft golden amber, dusky and gorgeous and doing a great job of keeping the scent grounded, then there's the beautiful golden musk warming everything up like a ray of sunshine. Honestly, I could have done without the orris - it adds a soapy element that I find interferes with all that luxurious warmth from the other notes, but the orris does dry down nicely and eventually almost disappears in amongst the duskiness of the amber.

As others have mentioned, this one is a soft, delicate and graceful scent - it's understated and classy, grown-up and sophisticated, but somehow it doesn't have any snobbery about it - it's kind of really warm and snuggly, and I would be inclined to wear it when I feel like I need a little bit of a confidence boost because I find its glowy-ness gives me a good feeling. it doesn't have a lot of throw, and it doesn't last long on my skin, but even when it's almost gone it's still lovely - one of those 'my skin but better' kinds of BPALs. Very nice, and a must-try for anyone who enjoys these goldenesque kinds of fragrances.

Orris, powdery amber and hints of golden musk.

This sort of reminds me to Leo 2007, minus the saffron.

Warm, citrusy amber.

Mmm, this is pretty. :wub2: I have all sorts of problems with violet notes, but I've found that I can wear orris sometimes, and it works for me here. Unveil smells like expensive powder, clean and sweet with a hint of sparkle from the musk. It reminds me of Staged Moon Landing, only it's more subtle and has none of that mineral grit. Lovely.

In the bottle: I know this is weird, but it almost has a yeast-y bread-y scent to it. :eek:

Wet on skin: I honestly have no idea what I'm smelling here. It's golden, but I'm wondering what is giving me a bread association. I've had all these notes in a scent before, everything but the musk in one scent too ... but this is just, different. It's morphing away from the bread-scent as it dries thank goodness!

Dry: Ok, that's bettter. It's very soft. It's nicely blended that I can't pick out every note, but I'm liking it more as time goes on.

Whew, that scared me!

Edit One Year: Age has been good to this blend. It is softer, smoother, sweeter and the staying power is amazing.

Edited by claudia6913

I find this a little... flat.

It's golden, definitely, but the orris and ambergris are giving it a bit of a tang and soapiness that I'm not overly digging. It's definitely powdery and wears very close to the skin, and seemed to fade away pretty fast on me generally.

This is lovely: warm and soft and powdery, very comforting. It dries down into a quiet skin scent, and would be great for days or situations where one just wants to unobtrusively smell good without overpowering anyone.

I will probably keep and enjoy my decant, but I don't need a bottle.

It's soft and warm and pretty and golden and then it's gone *poof* :(