Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teaotter

Quaeris Quot Mihi Basiationes

Infinite kisses: white honey, red currant, sugar cane, and ginger.

In the bottle: Red currants and sweet (not spicy) ginger. Uh-oh. I really wanted the honey to dominate this.

Wet: Oh, that's different! Something tree-sap like takes the forefront, probably a mix of the sugar cane and ginger. It smells like vines to me, green and leafy and sappy. The honey is just barely there right now, and I don't get any currant at all.

Dry: Once it settles in, it blooms gorgeously on my skin. The ginger takes a back seat to the honey and currants. The sugar cane is definitely present, but there's also a mild waxiness from the honey -- not as waxy as the usual beeswax note, but definitely there.

This is a subtle scent but it wafts around me gently. It fades pretty quickly, but I find a lot of scents do when they're brand new. If this is like other honey scents I have, it'll have a lot more lasting power once it's aged a month or so.

Summary: Not as fruity as I thought it would be when I sniffed it in the bottle. The final scent is a soft, fruity-floral honey with just a tang of green sap to it. If it were a color, it would be the translucent green-champagne-pink of ripening pink currants. It's gorgeous!

Since I tend to amp it, honey does dominate this blend for me. I do get a bright sugary ginger note on dry down, which actually reminds me a lot of tea with honey at this point. I never notice any currant. This scent is really quite pretty and lasts a long time on my skin. I think I'm just not as into honey scents as I used to be.

Much different than I was expecting. Brighter. Usually honey and even currant are rich and deep, but this is light and playful. The ginger is not spicy and harsh, but mixes with the sugar cane for a crystalline vibe.

It's like fresh, slightly sweetened tea. I think it should be a must-try for anyone who loves Dorian, White Rabbit, Kumiho and the other popular tea blends.

*edit* Also, the bottle art is very pretty. Two lovely Renaissance era women: one with long, curling blonde hair, and the other with red. Wearing embellished dresses with a little cherub and man in the background.

Edited by Balame

In bottle: Surprisingly light and sharp The ginger here is fresh and bright, doing a stunning dance with the honey and sugar cane. The red currant has a rich red sensual undertow. The ginger gives a sharpness to the sweet kisses dancing over the hard pull of desire. Perfect for the poem, really. Wet: It’s a little less peculiar on the skin, as the red currant finds a common cause with the honey and the ginger is less sharp. It’s still startling and it still embodies the poem beautifully, but somehow the balance is more sensual. I’d call it honey dominant with ginger and red currant second and the sugar cane providing soft support. Dry: Rather like a water color wash on the dry down. Red current stands out from the muddle of sweet. Less exciting than when fresh applied

When this came in the other day I didn't like how it smelled in the bottle. Which was odd cause I love every note in it but after letting it rest a bit I gave it a try today and it's lovely! :wub2:

I get mostly honey with hints of currants and oddly enough something green. Not sure if my nose is broken but it smells like a freshly cut stem. It's a soft, sweet scent that I'm looking forward to wearing on a warm spring day.

This starts out with a bright, astringent burst. I think this is the ginger, but my nose is trying to read it as a citrus note. It's a little air-freshener-y.

On my right wrist, it has dried down to a subtler, less tart and more bitter version of this "citrus" note. On my left, it's a lovely soft honey scent with just a hint of the "citrus."

I can't make heads or tails of this one. It's really cold out and it just arrived today, so maybe it's still wonky from transit. I'll test it again another day.

ETA: So I forgot about this oil and then went out for dinner. And then as I was sitting there waiting for my appetizer, suddenly I smelled GREAT. Talk about your slow burn. The ginger finally quit smelling like lemons and started smelling like the ginger from Bengal. The honey rounds it out with a nice warm sweetness--and really, the whole thing kind of reminds me of Bengal a bit. It obviously doesn't have some of the notes Bengal does, but it's a cousin.

I can't make out red currant at all, or sugar cane--I'm just amping ginger and honey and it's lovely.

It's now about an hour after the sudden "OMG awesome!" moment and it has stayed true to that.

Edited by lady_pandora

This is almost tropical on me. It reminds me a lot of a citrusy facial sunscreen I purchased from Bath and Body Works long ago, only without the orange scent that the sunscreen had. It's a very bright sweet ginger with sugary fruits in the background, and a hint of something earthy. It isn't foody though. Usually I can very clearly pick out the honey note, but for me, the honey is very subtle in this. I don't amp honey, though, so your mileage may vary.

Waxy honey and soft ginger. Ginger is usually very sharp on my skin, so this is a pleasant surprise. It definitely feels tropical and suntan lotion-y, as Cinder and Smoke mentioned, but I like it. Makes me wish I was laying on a beach somewhere, soaking up some rays. A perfect summer scent.

Wow, Sharp bright, but not spicy ginger with something artificial smelling and citrus. It reminds me of lemon pledge.

This is mostly honey and fruity red currant on my skin, with just a touch of bite from the ginger. The sugar cane adds to the sweetness but it doesn't go syrupy on me like that note is wont to do. It's nice but not spectacular on my skin.

Lots of red currant honey, a little ginger freshness. It's fruity and a little sharp. Not too sweet or cute. It just sort of IS. Then it dries down to something unpleasant. *shrug*

When first applied, all I smelled was ginger. Fresh ginger with perhaps a little sweetness underneath. An hour later, it bloomed onto my skin into something sweet and sugary with a hint of fruit -- absolute heaven. After about 3 hours, the scent died away and I was left with only a ghost of a scent. *sob* I'm hoping that aging this bottle for a long while might allow it to have better staying power on my skin.

Red currant and honey is one of my favorite combinations, so I was very eager to try this one.

In the vial: More floral than I expected, but only because it's not straight-up currant. So floral fruity plus light honey. Not as sweet as I feared (when I saw it had a sugar cane note), and more floral.

Wet: Honey and currant, much like Tomoe Gozen bath oil. I hope it stays that way!

Half an hour: Definitely in the Tomoe Gozen place, with currant and honey and a splendid Asian floral. Please, please stay this nice!

Three hours: On me the ginger smells the same as the "white ginger" note that's in Hua Mulan, i.e., a floral. Good. Done. I like this one a lot: straightforward fruit, a little bit of honey, some floral to soften. Awesome.

I will be getting a bottle of this to help console me after my Tomoe Gozen bath oil stash runs out.

This is a sweet scent that starts out with a zing of ginger. The ginger doesn't stay on my skin for very long, it quickly fades leaving a sweet, fruity kind of scent. It reminds me of a fruity, herbal tea with a hint of ginger. This fades very fast on my skin, after half an hour I can barely smell it at all. Overall, this is a nice fruity, summer scent that my skin eats up very quickly.

This was the only one of my Luper decants that failed to get an upgrade. It smelled thin and weak on me, like watered down Lipton tea. That said, on my best BPAL pal, it smelled like awesome and win, the note that was strongest on her was the sugar cane, but it didn't go foody sweet, it was a reedy almost green thing. Just gorgeous. Like fresh ginger and sugar cane.

Proving that BPAL can smell totally different on different people. This is not a myth, proven scientific fact here...

Infinite kisses: white honey, red currant, sugar cane, and ginger.

In the imp: piquant ginger note, with a sweetness in the background, very strong!

Wet on skin: Oh, much better! Ginger, but not as spicy/strong as in the bottle, with more sweetness coming thru

Dry on Skin: I find that as this wears, the ginger becomes softer, more rounded, and the white honey make an appearance; but this is only once the perfume starts to fade.

I didn't get much currant out of this scent, but that may just be me. I seem to get more ginger and sugar cane, with an undercurrent of white honey at the end of the wear time.

I find this scent lasts a decent period of time, at least for me. Wear time about 3-4 hours before I find it needs a touch up.

I'm so glad I splurged on this scent! Quaeris Quot Mihi Basiationes is very pretty, light and sweet. Love it! :wub2:

Red currant, white honey and hints of sugar cane. This is bright, sugary, and fruity.

This actually reminds me to Tomoe Gozen a fair bit.

And part of me really likes this. The other part of me wonders if it wouldn't be better with another fruit.

Quaeris is mostly red currant and honey on me, so it smells pretty much exactly like Tomoe Gozen. The red currant is sour, tart, and slightly citrus smelling (like a red berry with a hint of lemonade), and the honey and sugar give it a sweet, musky/perfumey feel. This isn't really a sweet scent on me, though, more of a tart, fruity smell. It turns a bit soapy smelling on me in the drydown. Fades really quickly on me, only lasting about 45 minutes total.

This is less sweet that I expected, and also doesn't have very much throw on me. It's a slightly bitter honey, dominated by red currant and ginger for spiciness. From the notes, I thought it might be rather like Eat Me, but it's nothing like it at all--Eat Me is very strong and sweet on me. This isn't bad, but a decant is enough.

In the decant: Honey and tart fruit.

On skin, wet: Same as in the decant, but mmmmaaaybe there's a tiny whiff of ginger. Maybe.

On skin, dry: This is well-blended and it's hard to pick out notes, now. Honey, certainly, but a more musky and less sweet honey, if that makes sense.

After an hour: Still pretty similar to the initial drydown, though there's a slight sharpness to it that's potentially offputting. The currant never turned to candy on me, at least, but this really actually could use a little MORE sweetness. Will give it a second test, though.

This is not what I was expecting, and I don't really like it.

Sugar cane can be a note that goes weird on my skin, and it's doing that thing here where it's vegetal, almost celery-like. I get a bit of the honey and currant, and it just reminds me of my Tomoe Gozen bath oil only not as nice since the sugar cane sort of ruins it.

I don't really get any ginger at all. It gets a little better as it dries and the sugar cane fades a bit, but this one was not a winner on me.

At first I get sweet honey and a floral similar to the Butterfly Nectar bath oil blend from last year, summer petals dipped in honey. It seems to have very good throw for the first hour. After 3 hours it has faded a lot and I get faint fruity beeswax. I may still get more than one bottle, as I love the early stages even if I will need to slather it on.

Imp: Almost beeswax-y honey and fruity ginger.

Wet: Much fruitier on my skin, it's juicy ripe red fruit with soft ginger, not spicy. I also get a bit of the green, stem-like feel others have mentioned. This all gives the impression of sitting beneath fruit growing on the vine in the heat of summer when the air is slightly hazy, while nearby bees buzz around the hive and the scent of honey and beeswax is wafting around.

Dry: Pickles?! Somehow I'm getting dill -_- Since I don't really want to smell like pickles, this is a big no.

This actually felt a bit citrus-y at first, but softened a bit. Definitely a nice lush honey. Very bright, very lovely. Not sure I'd get through a bottle, but enjoying this decant.

I got a decant of this because of the ginger, even though accepted wisdom is that flybys amp honey to single-note proportions.

Accepted wisdom is over there, flying out the window.

Wet, I get a very 'white' honey-sugar scent that starts spreading itself all over the place like a slow, languorous strip-tease. Ginger and redcurrant start out trying to do drunken high-kicks but very quickly stumble into the background and collapse in a giggling heap. Meanwhile, the honey and sugar cane are gettin' it on. Hoo boy. It gets deeper and dirtier, for a 'fuck yeah do me' value of dirty that has the honey and sugar cane rolling around on silk sheets, creating a thick, sweet muskiness that's safely on the sexy side of BO. Just before it dries, the ginger sobers up enough to pitch a little scandalised fit, but the tide of Sheer Fucking Hot is too much for her.

In conclusion, holy shit I am loving what this does on my skin. And I am going to have to revisit a whole swathe of honey scents.