Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Terror

powerful, dangerous scents for a young lady

Hey there. I'm new to the forums but not quite new to bpal. I've ordered a pack of imps but only one of those worked at all on me, and I'm having such trouble trying to decide what to get for my next pack that I thought I'd ask for your help.

The scents I've tried are:

-Snake Oil: BEAUTIFUL. Perfect.

-Santa Muerte: Nothing but rose on me. Smells way too much like a grandmother.

-Lurid: rather generic, way too sweet

-Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds: Again, nothing but rose on me.

-Fallen: Generic. Too sweet once again.

-Sea of Glass: Smelled like a bottle of soap had been dumped on me. Way, waaay too sweet, in the worst way. Like something decaying.

-Mag Mel: Very strange, but I can't put my finger on it. Too sweet again.

-Port Au Prince: Smelled like some horrible cleaning product

-Potter's Field: Ordered a big vial of it. Love the strong vetiver and earth, but it fades super quickly on me.

So, it seems like the flowery, green scents I was going with the first round didn't go over well. So I'm avoiding those for now. What I'm looking for is scents that suggest a certain power, like a tiger. Like barely-held-back violence. Seductively dangerous. I love Snake Oil but I'd like to avoid scents that smell too much like incense.

I was thinking of picking up some Wanda, but I have no idea what else. Suggestions?

I would suggest you check out the Ars Amatoria line - in particular; Debauchery, Perversion, Depraved, Ravenous and Desire - they are all very RAWR :D

There's also things like Whip, Lust and Vice that would be worth a look. The trick with BPAL is to step outside of what you think might be good, and take some risks! Many people will tell you they discovered their favourite BPALs completely by accident.. by trying things they never expected to like :smile:

Oh - and there's a huge For Sale section here on the forum - that's a great way to pick up a stack of imps without paying too much, so you can try lots of things! Welcome to the forum :wave:

If you are enjoying the Earth-y scent in potter's Field, I might suggest checking out other earth based blends. For example Burial, Grave Pig, or Death Cap. Also, you might want to look for things with Patchouli in them because it has a very "earth-y" scent to it. (It also can smell slightly incense-y but not like church incense like frankincense or myrrh do. It smells a little countercultural or hippie if anything. Mostly it just smells like soil to me.)

Seconding Tombeur and Perversion, also Mme Moriarty, Misfortune Teller (if you can find any or when the Carnaval returns next year) and maybe Obsidian Widow.

Seconding Vixen, Ravenous, Lust, and indeed if you can get it or when she has returned Mme Moriarty. (And I think I have to try Desire and Tombeur, which I have not tried yet.)

ETA: Oh, and do read some reviews of the suggested scents before you make your choice.

Edited by Zorra

The Black Rider (under Marchen) a leather, amber musk combo that I love to wear when I am feeling particularly dangerous...

I will pretty much always recommend Wrath and Shub-Niggurath. I also agree with the Whip recommendation; when I tried it, it was about equal parts fantastic worn-in leather with roses.

Yes for Obsidian Widow, I would also suggest Wanda, and Sin. Personally I am not a fan of Mme. Moriarity and I think if you don't like sweet, you might hate it. Since you seem to dislike roses you may not like Whip either, IMO.

I second Perversion. And how about Anne Bonny? She was a badass pirate lady and the perfume is definitely not sweet or flowery. And finally, I do find Bien Loin D'Ici to be both strong and sexy....

I would recommend Heretic, which is a current retail exclusive from the Heretic Salon in LA. (You can google it and call to place an order.) It's very bold.

I'm sorry you got the same lemon-scented bathroom cleaner smell I got out of Port-au-Prince. I had such hopes, too!

If you're worried about too sweet, be careful with Perversion - it's very sweet for me even though I like it very much.

Depraved (apricots and patchouli) wound up being super-sweet for me.

Likewise, Bien Loin D'Ici (red musk, benzoin, caramel accord, golden honey, and spiced Moroccan unguents) can be very sweet, as one might imagine with caramel accord.

Shub-Niggurath ( A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices) was too sweet for me but has a nice ginger bite.

Vice (a deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom) was my last hope, I thought, for a chocolate scent (turns out I prefer cocoa in non-food, dry blends like The Seekim) and my notes say cherry orange candy.

Debauchery (civet and red Egyptian musk, thickened with opium) smelled like a really floral White Diamonds for me, which was really disappointing.

You said you wanted to avoid smelling "too much like incense" (is there really such a thing? I'm doing it wrong then :lol: ) - you might want to be careful with Anne Bonney - it's a heavy incense scent to most folks (Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense) and Heretic (Nagdi frankincense, bois de cade, beeswax, Somalian myrrh, and Laotian oudh) which for me was kind of like a heavy incense (and sweet powder, thanks beeswax) Sin.

It sounds like you amplify roses, which I also do - everything with rose in it becomes all roses all the time. I have to avoid rose blends, even though I love the scent of roses (and it's one of the few florals that doesn't immediately trigger a migraine.) So, Whip was all roses with no leather (and I other wise kind of amplify leather but I don't mind that so much.)

Along the lines of Grave Pig and Death Cap, if you like the earthy smell (think dirt and mushrooms,) you might try Destroying Angel (papery white notes evoke the grace of this fungi, grounded by thin, crisp soil.)

I'll second Sin (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.)

If you're looking for animalistic powerful (you mentioned "like a tiger") you might want to try Satyr - Sin's spicier, racier cousin. Sin does have sandalwood so it some have some incense smell.

Bengal (skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger) can be a little sweet but also has a powerful feel.

Fenris Wolf is also a kind of powerful, animalistic blend - in fact, the scent description includes "the raw, untamable power of chaos" and lists rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

You might also, if dragon's blood doesn't go sweet on you like it does for many people, look at the Ars Draconis line - Dragon's Musk, for instance, is Dragon’s blood and five deep musks.

From the RPG line, there's Chaotic which lists, a whirling mélange of multicolored musks with wasabi, rooibos, heliotrope, and mastic.

Like Black Rider, I'd suggest Red Rider (Red leather, red moss, and balsam) - for me, it's a little more seductive than Black Rider promised to be.

Sorry for the novel-length post. I just, uh, may have gone on the same hunt. :lol:

You guys are the best! Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm thinking of going with Debauchery, Perversion, Bengal, and Fenris Wolf. Both Red Rider and Black Rider sound great, does anyone have a suggestion towards one or the other?

You guys are the best! Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm thinking of going with Debauchery, Perversion, Bengal, and Fenris Wolf. Both Red Rider and Black Rider sound great, does anyone have a suggestion towards one or the other?

I have both riders, Red ends up being an almost single note seude leather scent on me. I far prefer Black with its complexity. In fact, its my favorite GC .

The Witch Queen and War, both from the Gaiman line, I find to be particularly dangerous smelling and lovely in the same note. Unimpable, sadly, but worth a mention. The Gaiman scents are amongst my favourites in the GC.

I second. War, from the Gaiman line, very sexy and dangerous and lovely.

I really wish the Gaiman line did come with imps. I am a huge Gaiman fan. But the money all goes to charity so if I can scrape together the money to buy a few more bottles I suppose it won't be the end of the world! The Good Omens bunch sound especially good. War does sound good, but Crowley is also really tempting....

I really wish the Gaiman line did come with imps. I am a huge Gaiman fan. But the money all goes to charity so if I can scrape together the money to buy a few more bottles I suppose it won't be the end of the world! The Good Omens bunch sound especially good. War does sound good, but Crowley is also really tempting....

You can actually get some of them from the CBDLF here - not all the Gaiman lines are available though :smile:

Crowley is gorgeous! A definite must-try... have a look around the For Sale area here on the forum, you'll probably be able to find decants of most of these things :thumbsup:

Crowley is simply amazing. It is easily in my top 3!!

Although more masculine than feminine I'd say.

Edited by Wren12

Sign in to follow this