Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
BiancaSlate

Requesting Recommendations for Newbie

I'd like some recommendations for myself and my partner.

I like rose, sandalwood, myrrh and patchouli. I don't like gardenia, lilac, honeysuckle, jasmine because their sweetness turns bitter and acrid on my skin, smelling like either sweat or urine!

I don't like citrus scents. I'm not opposed to cedar or any wood that is not pine. Pine doesn't like me and ends up smelling like antiseptic. I also like the smell of Gonesh's Incense of Ancient Times: Oils and Spices.

My room mate likes the woodsy smells - if there was a bottle of sierra cedar campfire smoke she'd wear it all the time! She also likes frankincense and myrrh, ylang ylang and yarrow.

I've tried using the search function, but I have too many negatives that seem to be in most of the results when I search for scents containing rose, sandalwood, myrrh and patchouli. Viola looked good, but the lilac and Cala Lily scared me off. Thanatos sounds like the winner here, for me, anyway.

My room mate's preferred scents have more combinations, but I'd like some ideas with what you've all experienced.

Thank you for taking time to help me with this!

I'm terrible with rose suggestions - rose is a death-note for me. Others here adore rose, though, so I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. I do have other suggestions, though:

SIN (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) - this is remarkably sexy.

AUREUS has no notes listed but is a slightly spicy, very bright sandalwood scent.

ANNE BONNY (Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense) - for me, this was slightly salty sandalwood, for other folks this is a really sexy incense-y blend.

RUMPELSTILZCHEN (Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.) - smoky and spicy.

Something that was not good for me but that you might like is Namaste (sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.) Another is Croquet (pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.)

If you haven't tried BPAL before, don't write off certain scents just yet - things that work for my skin in other blends/brands don't work with BPAL and things that work with BPAL don't work with anything else. Give one or two a try before you say it's a no-go. Also, be prepared for BPAL's version of something you love to not work for you (I :cry: about milk and honey - all soap for me.)

For your partner/roommate:

If you're fine hunting down decants or bottles of old Limited Editions (LEs): October. For me, this smells like burning leaves in the best kind of woods (no pine.)

Some of my favorite "woods" scents are Dee, Antikythera Mechanism, Dracul, and Captain Cully. Another smoky blend to try is Hellfire.

What additional combinations would your partner/roommate be looking for?

Hi there, :wave:

Now, I haven't ever smelled the Gonesh stuff - but I noticed it mentioned in a review that I was reading yesterday, so my first recommendation is:

Anubis - a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs.

Many people find that something they thought that they hated in a normal perfume ends up working really well on them here, so try to skin test everything and leave it to mellow before dismissing it.

Other than that, these are some of my favourites I'd say maybe try:

Vixen - The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli

Wanton - Palmarosa, red sandalwood, attar of rose, patchouli

Tombeur - vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil.

Harlot - [somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon. (I can't wear it but I love it :( )

Two, Five and Seven - A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose… …and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

There's also a thread where people give their suggestions for a couple of imp packs for newbies here.

Edited by ReallyZeb

Rakshasa (sandalwood with rose and patchouli) might work for you, and maybe Cathedral (woody-resiny church incense) for your roommate.

Hello and welcome!! Now, I am not as versed as some of the other great forumites here, BUT try not to totally rule out notes that don't work for you. Only because there are sometimes a possible death note in a blend that you might think, "UGH, no way", but then when you actually try it on, it can be awesome!!

I ALWAYS recommend Snake Oil...that's just me, but look at the review pages as well, they are real helpful in letting you know how a scent is on someone...even though the same scent can be different on one person than the other. Good luck and welcome to the insanity!! :wub2:

BiancaSlate - you could try using the search function here:--> http://bpal.org/search/ - if you put in a note (or note combo) it will search for any BPAL with that note listed. It will bring up things from the General Catalogue (GC) that are still available, but just be aware that it will also show Limited Edition blends too and those will be no longer available (but totally findable, in most cases, via the 'For Sale' section here on the forum) :smile:

You might like Urd: Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa. I thought about Baghdad or L'Examen de Minuit for you, but both of them have at least one note that you may not like. You still may want to check them out/read their reviews though. :)

As for campfire type stuff for your roommate, maybe Djinn: The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

What about fruity scents (Berries?) or vanilla? do any of those notes work on you?

For you, if you *do* like Vanilla,

I HIGHLY Recommend seeing if you can track down at least a decant of Banshee Beat...it's amazing. Patchouli and vanilla.

for imps you can buy straight form the lab, for you:

Desire: The overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

Harlot: Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Jezebel: Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today's upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

Lucy's Kiss: Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker's tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

Spellbound: Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Lilith: Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

Alice: Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Snooty Rose: Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood

The little wooden Doll: Gently carved wood warm with a maternal love that reaches beyond death: rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood.

Limited edition Yules (available now, but not as imps):

Peacock Queen:In dramatic contrast to the soft innocence of Snow White and the dew-kissed freshness of her sister, Rose Red, this is a blood red, voluptuous rose, velvet-petaled, at the height of bloom. Haughty and imperious, vain, yet incomparably lovely to the eye, but thick with thorns of jealousy, pride and hatred.

Pink Snowballs: A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs! Dainty, soft, and certainly unfit for flinging!

For your room mate:

I'll second Anne Bonney

No: 93 Engine: Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage.

Cathedral: Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins

Damnation: The incense of a black mass, the perfume of perdition. White sandalwood, cedar, frankincense and swarthy vetiver.

Penitance: Smell sanctified! A blend of pure, pious frankincense and graceful myrrh

Cairo: The essence of holy Kyphi, beloved incense of the Egyptian Gods.

El Dorado: Copal resin incense blowing through halls of dazzling gold

Morocco: The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia. (this is just an awesome scent...one of you should give it a try...it gets even better as it ages!)

Sri Lanka: Indian sandalwood and cedar, and the dry incense smoke of olibanum, gum mastic, patchouli and myrrh.

Limited edition Yule (available now, but not impable):

Midnight Mass: This perfume is a traditional Roman Catholic sacramental incense, most often used during a Solemn Mass. Traditionally, five tears of this incense, each encased individually in wax that has been fashioned into the shape of a nail, are inserted into the paschal candle. This is, of course, represents the Five Wounds of Our Risen Savior. Symbolically, the burning of the incense signifies spiritual fervor, the fragrance itself inspires virtue, and the rising smoke carries our prayers to God.

All the above recommendations are great, and from those listed I particularly think you'd like Rakshasa, Wanton, Morocco and Sri Lanka. As mentioned, Midnight Mass is a beautiful, sweet incense if you can track some down.

Thanatos sounds nice on paper, but you'll have to get a feel for BPAL's moss notes to determine whether you like it or not. I don't think they're completely off-putting, but if it amps on you it might come across as overly dry. It's worth an imp to see what happens!

You also might be into Seance (A mysterious, enigmatic blend of dry, mellow rosewood, crushed rose leaf and the slightest touch of warm hazel). It's pure, delicate rosewood to me with a lovely mellow feel from the hazel.

Edited by Balame

Thank you for your recommendation and for the link to the GC Staples thread!

I'm also amazed and humbled by so many helpful people taking the time to share their BPAL wisdom with me!

Thank you for your recommendation and for the link to the GC Staples thread!

I'm also amazed and humbled by so many helpful people taking the time to share their BPAL wisdom with me!

Isn't everyone here absolutely lovely!? :wub2: Good luck in your search! I second the rec for Morocco.

I'm terrible with rose suggestions - rose is a death-note for me. Others here adore rose, though, so I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions. I do have other suggestions, though:

SIN (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) - this is remarkably sexy.

AUREUS has no notes listed but is a slightly spicy, very bright sandalwood scent.

ANNE BONNY (Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense) - for me, this was slightly salty sandalwood, for other folks this is a really sexy incense-y blend.

RUMPELSTILZCHEN (Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.) - smoky and spicy.

I ordered some imps yesterday, and included SIN and RUMPELSTILZCHEN. I picked three of the best-sounding for me and three for my partner. Thank you for your suggestions!

I can hardly wait to get them and see how they are on us!

Bianca

Can one ask for recommendations based off of basic memory scents?

If so I'm looking as a "noobie" for such scents that may have or be reminded of:

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Damp basement/humidifier

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

Not all mixed together, mind you. But any of those scents that appear similar in BPAL fragrances.

If so I'm looking as a "noobie" for such scents that may have or be reminded of:

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

Not all mixed together, mind you. But any of those scents that appear similar in BPAL fragrances.

I'd definitely recommend Dragon's Eye for lilac.

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

For fresh mowed grass, you want Thunder and Blazes if you can find it, from Carnaval.

Or "A Blade of Grass" which, for me at least, is nothing but perfectly chlorophylly green cut grass.

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

For fresh mowed grass, you want Thunder and Blazes if you can find it, from Carnaval.

Or "A Blade of Grass" which, for me at least, is nothing but perfectly chlorophylly green cut grass.

THIS.

I would say for the carmex lipbalm, look for blends that have Beeswax as a note - since carmex smells like beeswax to me! Maybe like "Lights of mens lives, or Candles Moon...

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

For a Carmex kind of scent, I would recommend No. 93 Engine. Beeswax and herbals abound, it's really buzzy and interesting, and it's GC so you'll have no problem procuring an imp.

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

There's a vast range of leather - so, what sort of memory?

My favourite leathers are:-

White Rider - white leather and sandalwood

Rogue - Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin

Whip - black leather & damp red rose

As you also mentioned lilac, Bensiabel is plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs

-Fresh mowed green grass

-Carmex lip balm

-Juicy Fruit gum

-Lilac

-Leather

There's a vast range of leather - so, what sort of memory?

My favourite leathers are:-

White Rider - white leather and sandalwood

Rogue - Soft, well-worn black leather, hemp, and rosin

Whip - black leather & damp red rose

As you also mentioned lilac, Bensiabel is plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs

Thanks all for the replies these all sound interesting. For a particular leather I usually like a lot of variations, but my favorite is somewhere between that rough suede smell and saddle leather. I'll keep those in mind. Now to see if I can find others that are simliar to damp basement, Juicy Fruit, or maybe a bookish scent.

Thanks all for the replies these all sound interesting. For a particular leather I usually like a lot of variations, but my favorite is somewhere between that rough suede smell and saddle leather. I'll keep those in mind. Now to see if I can find others that are simliar to damp basement, Juicy Fruit, or maybe a bookish scent.

For saddle leather or something close, I recommend Captain Cully and The Red Rider (this might edge toward your rough suede.)

For book-ish scents, you have options. There's The Book (Old, yellowed parchment paper, tattered leather bindings,) which I think will get you closest. There's also Philologus (ancient books, crackled parchment, faded incense, and candle wax,) Trevor Bruttenholm (classic men's cologne mixed with the scent of old, yellowed books, a splash of bay rum, and summoning incense) Miskatonic University (Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls,) The Buggre Alle This Bible (Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.) I have a sad about book-scents - my skin turns them all into a terrible scent. :(

For Juicy Fruit: I would suggest that you try to track down Perilous Parlor. It was a Halloweenie LE, but there may be some leftovers floating around on the Sales/Swap thread.