Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion

Mercurian Phoenix

HERMES, draw near, and to my pray'r incline,
Angel of Jove, and Maia's son divine;
Studious of contests, ruler of mankind,
With heart almighty, and a prudent mind.
Celestial messenger, of various skill,
Whose pow'rful arts could watchful Argus kill:
With winged feet, 'tis thine thro' air to course,
O friend of man, and prophet of discourse:
Great life-supporter, to rejoice is thine,
In arts gymnastic, and in fraud divine:
With pow'r endu'd all language to explain,
Of care the loos'ner, and the source of gain.
Whose hand contains of blameless peace the rod,
Corucian, blessed, profitable God;
Of various speech, whose aid in works we find,
And in necessities to mortals kind:
Dire weapon of the tongue, which men revere,
Be present, Hermes, and thy suppliant hear;
Assist my works, conclude my life with peace,
Give graceful speech, and me memory's increase.

A blessing of wit, opportunity, and skill: yellow sandalwood, bergamot, gum mastic, gum Arabic, lavender, lemongrass, angelica root, and anise.

In bottle: Lemon grass dominant, like whoa, with a strong presence from the gums and the bergamot. The lavender supports the lemon grass; the angelica supports the gum. The bergamot winds through everything, dancing with all the notes. Sandalwood is a soft canvas to paint the other scents on. The anise is very understated. Wet: Lemon grass! Lots and lots of it. The gums, bergamot, lavender, and angelica are still discernible, but this is mostly about the lemon grass. It's really disappointing. Dry: Lemon grass and a bit of sandalwood mostly.

I'm getting over a cold, and my nose isn't at 100% so I'll post another review when I'm all clear headed.

Anyway, Onward!...

In bottle: Lemongrass! Green, freshly-cut lemongrass. Very fresh and almost sparkly. Lavender is a secondary note. The resins are acting as backup.

Wet: Very much the same as in the bottle, but dries down relatively quickly.

Dry-down: Lemongrass is still there, but very much mellower and "blended into the rest of the scent". This lets the lavender and resins/sandalwood shine. I am definitely getting the sandalwood and the gum arabic. (The gum arabic is not at all sweet - but it's the sort of earthy or grainy/floury flavor in the back of a lot of confectionery)

All the woods and resins are the softest, gentlest, earthiest kind. They're not distinct and brassy like pine or juniper. It's just sort of a soft cloud of wood and sap. Almost smells like a light skin musk is in there.

This whole scent reminds me somewhat of Michael Casts Out All the Fallen Angels in that it is a sharp green-ness mixed with soft wood/resin. The individual details are different, though. This is very full of Lemongrass.

Edit: Having worn this again while clear-headed it's pretty much as I described above, except there is some anise that peeks out on the drydown.

Edited by Cactus

I bought this bottle unsniffed; I am wary of the anise but the other notes usually do well on me.

In the bottle: Wonderful lemongrass-citrus vibe, with a metallic note shimmering in the background.

Wet: Very citrusy, but with a gummy-resinous background. The lemon verbena is the one that sometimes gives me an off, white-musky impression, although it's very slight. Still, this might be good depending on how the anise goes.

Two hours: The intense citrus has calmed down so much I can barely make it out; it smells softly of lemongrass, stemmy, a little woody, with some gummy-resinous overtones that smell to me like gum Arabic. The slight bitterness of gum Arabic make the scent read as slightly alchemical. I could huff this one all day.

Four and a half hours: Still some lemongrass, but mostly it is a soft woody base with a touch of resin. The anise never manifested, which from my perspective was a good thing.

I have liked this one a lot.

Pleasant, brightly herbal and citrus as overtones, for me, sadly I get mostly lemongrass. I tend to grab onto citrus notes, in particular things like lemongrass/palmarosa/etc. and amp them to high heaven. The blend does smell like a very fancy aromatherapist's blend, like the inside of a herbal apothecary or something. I'm mostly getting the lemongrass but around the edges there's a bit of medium grounding from the sandalwood and the angelica/gums.

Not for me, but probably for someone else!

Wet: sweet lemon candy. Dry: lemongrass and sandalwood. Beautiful, but a bit bland and uninspiring. I'll keep my decant, but won't need a bottle.

(eta: ... except that there is a subtle complexity here that is pretty enthralling. I might actually need a bottle. I'll see how quickly the decant disappears).

Edited by Rocza

I do agree with the lemon candy comment. Starts out bright lemon, moves to lemon candy with a dry woody background. Reminds me of a less ethereal Scales of Deprivation. I like it, but I own too many lemon scents already.

Mercurian Phoenix is pretty much lemongrass singlenote to my nose. It's sweet, bright, slightly herbal lemon. It doesn't have a lot of throw and only lasts about an hour on me.

This one is pleasant enough, but not something that I'll need more of.

On my skin wet: Lemongrass! It stays all lemongrass for a while then the sandalwood and angelica come through.

On my skin dry: Sandalwood has taken over and the lemongrass has faded. I like it but it fades too quickly.

In the imp and on me wet, Mercurian Phoenix is astringent, sharp, and reminds me of the lemon soap I used to use to mop the floor without being actually-soapy. Still, this isn't my idea of a wearing scent, and it made my eyes sting and water. As it dried, it became very resinous and spicy, although not a foody kind of spice. I guess this is the gums, sandalwood, and anise going on, because at no time did I get an herby scent. The final scent is nice, but I don't think I can deal with the first stage again.

ITI: Lavender, lemongrass, and bergamot. It's a light and citrus-like combination.

Wet: It's very similar to the bottle, but I get something slightly earthy as well, which might be the angelica root.

Dry: This doesn't last as long as its previous counterpart, Martian Phoenix, so I have to reapply once I get home. Lemongrass is wholly dominant, followed by very faint lavender and angelica root. I think I would like this better if the lemongrass let a little more of the scent's complexity shine through.

Edited by mymymai

Lemongrass, bergamot, hints of lavender and sandalwood.

This is a very lemon/Thai seasonings blend. It smells exotic, spicy, and citrusy.

Exotic, lemon, fun.

Bright, candy-like lemon at first, some sunny herbs. Dries to almost nothing in half an hour, my skin just eats this one up.

Very lemongrass dominant. I like how the sandalwood creates a dry quality to the lemon-candy-esque vibe of the lemongrass. No anise detected to my nose which is usually a dominating note with my skin chemistry. Nicely blended, reminds me of a brighter version of Haunted.

Imp: Lemongrass, absolutely. It smells like lemon candy.

Wet: I figured out what candy it reminds me of: lemon Pez! It's pretty and refreshing, though I'm not entirely sold on smelling like lemon Pez. It's fairly one-dimensional at this point.

Dry: The sandalwood slowly takes over and the hints of lemongrass left give it an odd sour smell. Overall, it's nice but not bottle-worthy.

Sharp sour lemon and lavender are the strongest notes. Something a bit like wet stone underneath, tingly and sharp. It smells the way expensive dish soap would, bright and citrusy and scrubby.

This was on my wishlist due to the scent notes, which sounded amazing! I was lucky enough to receive a bottle from a forumite, so it makes me sad that I don't really like it.

Wet, it's all lemon, lemon CANDY, like lemon Jolly Ranchers. I don't mind lemon, but I don't like it when it dominates.

Once it's fully dry, the lemon is all gone and it becomes something entirely different -- very earthy and musty, no throw -- I get the anise there but don't know what else. It's... interesting... but not something I want to smell like.

Alas.

Decant: "yellow" "warm and sunny"
Wet on me: pale pal sandalwood and lemongrass. so very faint
Drying Down: this is starting to smell like Dumbledore's Sherbet Lemon candies to my delight!
Dry: the sandalwood came out once dry. What started as faint, bloomed on my skin to a bright sunny 'yellow' scent that is sweetened by the sandalwood. so pleasant!

Mercurian Phoenix is really lovely on me. It's definitely a lemongrass scent, but there's a good amount of lavender and bergamot at first as well, and the sandalwood emerges in the drydown. I'm not as familiar with the gum notes, and I never get anise. After two or three hours it's a skin scent, warm and sunny and kind of snuggly, but also rich and herbal. I'm not describing this very well, but I like it.