Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Peonies and cream.

Very mysterious this one, still trying to figure it out. When I first put it on it smells like the pastry note in Knave of Hearts, but then turns into flowers...weird, but I like it. Strong however, go easy...

In bottle: Floral bakery

On skin: When I smell this in the bottle and then also on my skin, the last thing I would say it smells like is peonies and cream. It does have a floral note, which eventually does smell of peonies, but it takes a while to morph to that. What I smell when I first put it on is menthol and nuts... and that is not a good thing. I want to wash it off actually. But I decided to be patient and I'm glad I did.

The creme note starts to seep through and sweetens the scent. The peonies start to come through giving a beautiful colorful floral that morphs the scent completely. The nutty note subsides and remains a little echo in the background. The menthol also subsides a bit, but doesn't go away completely... it gives a nice cool tone to the scent.

All in all it's a pretty scent. It's not exactly what I was looking forward to, I was hoping for a very creamy floral, almost along the lines of Chaste Moon which it was not. If you get this scent, make sure to be patient to wait for it to develop and become it's full bloomed glory. It has a medium throw and average wearlength.

i don't usually fail this badly on a scent- but oh god, this is so awful to my nose it's almost comical. i dont understand how flowers and cream could be so stinky. i think the brand- new cream is part of it; i can smell a hint of it in love's philosophy and my well-aged boo- but there's a sort of spicy rottenness to it. dr. boyfriend also made the stink-face at it. actually, the more i think about it, its possible i've never smelled a creamcentric scent new from the lab and i'm not sure my nose is handling it well.. i get no greenery or flowers here, just blech. i'm sorry not to be more descriptive, but i really cant place it... it's a very rich, full, overwhelming gross :lol:

Exactly as advertised: creamy spicy milky peony blossoms.

Stays true when dry. It's pretty and the milk note doesn't go too sour on me, like in some other blends. Very youthful, but not girly; it feels on the verge of maturity. This is more of a springtime scent, floral and creamy.

ok… little flora is not at all what i was expecting. i was thinking of something along the lines of prunella (minus the plum)- a fresh floral scent with fresh sweet cream. instead, i am getting cookies from this. the cream is like a custard or something and there is vanilla and spice.

the beautiful fresh peony note i was craving is kind of buried deep under a pile of pastries and i am not really picking it up here. on the skin… the floral note starts to come out but (probably due to the accompanying notes) it doesn't resemble the peony i loved in, say, peony moon. this makes me a little sad because peony is one of the very few florals i can wear, and i bought this bottle unsniffed in hopes of sweet creamy peony perfection.

this is definitely a foodie floral- a picnic in a garden with lots of baked goods and desserts. it's not unpleasant, and maybe i would like it more if i hadn't had such specific expectations, but i don't think it's for me.

In the bottle: Buttered popcorn (I'm guessing this is the 'cream' note.)

Wet: Still buttered popcorn, a very yummy scent if you like foodie scents.

Drydown: The popcorn dies down and the floral comes out, it's a very perfume like floral, well blended but still somehow unnatural. I do like the scent in this phase.

8 hours later: Bug repellent. How on earth did that happen??

Verdict: One of the strangest BPAL scents I've yet tried, I'd swear it was three different perfumes. None of the stages appeals to me enough to want a bottle though

This is going to be my first really negative review. I am keeping it harsh cus I don't want to read people's raves a few years and think hmmm maybe it was pretty and I was just confused. Apologies to all who love it {and the lab~ seriously I have yet to find a scent I couldn't wear until this} Copied and pasted from elsewhere:

my eyes itched like crazy and I got a major attack of the sneezies wearing this

It does not die on me but lasts and lasts which just prolongs my misery

really rich nutmeats with perfume poured over the top

I cannot stand this. The merest drop of it makes me ill. I have gotten to the point of opening the bottle and gagging

tried 4 X in oh 6 months and it has to go. For real. I think 4 x is plenty of testing for the horrid and 6 months is plenty of time for it to settle

go away please

there should be a zero or negative star rating for this. I have never loathed a perfume as much as I loathe this one. I had such high hopes. I love, love, love peonies. I love the cream in katrina so thought this would be a peony version of the rose loveliness. No.

For me, the color of this fragrance would be rich kelly green. On my skin, this is so stem heavy/grassy? It definitely has a soapy floral edge to it that my skin amps and my nose hates. This is just not good on me.

As a side note, I was complaining to my mom that this might have to be the first bpal I resold or swapped away. She sniffed the bottle and loved it so much I gave it to her. She said it reminded her of summers in Michigan when she was growing up. So, my loss might be the start of her bpal addiction. :joy:

after reading the reviews that suggested you'd like this scent if you like Rose Red, I swapped for a bottle.

In the bottle is a beautiful, bright, green floral.

Wet - lovely, light, realistic, slightly sweetened cream in the back, but subtle and not foodie. Beautiful!

Dry - laundry detergent - not even the good kind. No flower, no cream, just, dry, powdery, laundry detergent. *weep*

I honestly don't know what peonies smell like, but I like this scent. I get a lemony floral, fresh and cheery, with a fair amount of green leaves and stems. In the background, rich cream that's slightly nutty, like hazelnut milk. A bright, youthful perfume.

Like almost everyone else, I don't know what peonies smell like. Little Flora smells like a light floral mixed with cream, just like the description. It is a strangely dry scent, with no sweetness to it at all. definitely not foody. this one would probably be really nice layered with a sweet note.

Edited by inhumation

In the imp: Delicate florals.

Wet: Much more distinguishable as peonies now, but no cream yet.

Dry: The cream never did appear, but the peonies are sweeter now. I'm not usually into any floral that isn't rose-based, but this is really nice and to me fits the character perfectly.

Wet: This is so strange. I get something really green, something burnt. A LOT of plastic...and some pastry?? I would think my nose if broken, but I tried this once before to the same effect. I thought that I had too many things being tested at once and that was throwing me off, so I didn't even review and decided to test again. But now, same thing. I can smell some peony in the throw, but nose to skin this is just odd.

Dry: Thankfully most of the weirdness of this fades away and I am left with a faint trace of peony and a tiny hint of cream. I was hoping this would be like Karina Van Tassel with peony instead of rose - it's not. Al least not on me. The cream note never entirely works for me, and the peony is really faint and with a lot of stem or green. It's lacking some sweetness on me too. Too bad, I love peony, but haven't yet found a blend that I love it in nearly as much as Peony Moon.

Oh, the peonies in this are fresh, dewy, stems still attached while the cream is a toasty, warm cream. They are doing this little dance at first, trying to outshine one another, but eventually they balance out. This is gorgeous - soft, pink petals atop a dollop of cream.