Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A dapper cologne, distant and refined: white musk, lime rind, and rosemary water with tobacco leaf and lilac.

I like this scent, although I would classify it more in the department of coy gentleman in the armchair than sexy or on the prowl...nothing wrong with that sort of afternoon mood though....

Tobacco Leaf is definitely prevalent....an old-fashioned but everyday sort of pipe tobacco...with a friendly vanilla note. The musk and lilac bring in that warm vanilla tone, without it having a sense that vanilla has simply been added....This trio also gives it a leather note too, so there is indeed the sense of a gentleman entering a study or a library.

In bottle: White musk dominant with strong lilac in second. Tobacco is third strongest providing lovely support for the musk. The lime loans the lilac a tartness. The rosemary winds through everything, soft, but blending beautifully with the musk and tobacco in particular. Wet: Not as lovely. The Lime pushes it’s way to the strongest spot, turning the whole thing a bit shrill and drowning the rosemary and lilac. The musk and tobacco try to push back, but the blend’s just not as subtle and complex as in the imp. Dry: Rind mostly with some musk

In the decant I smelled lime, lilac, and musk. Very smart & slightly masculine. On my skin, I get LIME with lilac, musk, a bit of tobacco. It's pleasant. Charming. Subtly sophisticated. But as it dries it goes to powder. This powder knocks out everything but the lime, and it's a dusty lime at that.

Now that it's dry, the dust has gone and lilac is peaking out. I like this stage and the wet stage, but can I survive the dusty lime powder stage?

Lime, lilac and tobacco.

More along the lines of male cologne. Sophisticated, warm, subtle.

I quite like it...it lasts longer on me than many other scents too, for some reason. For example, I like Lear, but it disappears really fast...must be something to do with my Ph

In the bottle I get a nice cologne-y combination of musk and lime. Once it's on my skin it becomes much rounder and more complex, changing a lot through the drydown: mostly musk at first, with sharpness from the lime, a hint of sweetness from the lilac, and the tobacco leaf giving a gentle woodsy depth. As it dries, there's a stage where it's mostly the lime/lilac combination that I adore in Whitechapel, but tamed a bit, less spiky.

The scent does go through a powdery stage, but it's brief on me. After a few hours the lime fades, which saddens me a bit, but I'm left with a nice combination of musk, tobacco leaf, and the rosemary that finally emerges, plus a faint hint of lilac.

I really love this one. It's old-fashioned masculinity of the best kind, and, yes, gentlemanly. I wish I'd bought a bottle.

Gentleman

At first: A sweet "masculine" cologne with a bit of something powdery. I think I smell a bit of anise, but I might be imagining it.

2.5 hours in: Powdery and lovely.

3.5 hours in: Still a powdery, sweet cologne. There's a hint of rosemary and tobacco leaf.

6.5 hours in: Still about the same, but a little sweeter.

Overall: What a winner! This just hits all the right notes on me: powdery, a bit masculine, a tiny bit sweet. Love it!

This is one of those scents where there isn't a note too much or too little.

The musk is soft and a bit powdery, the tobacco has just the right amount of smokiness, the lilac and rosemary give the blend sophistication and the lime rind lifts it all up. Ingenious! :wub2:

Edited by Monday

first sniff: the gentleman is a LOT less immediately masculine than i thought it would be.

it's quite sweet, actually. i am reminded a little bit of dorian, or jareth.

the tobacco is lovely and works so well with the lilac and the little bit of zing from the lime. i actually bought this for my husband, thinking it could be along the lines of vicomte de valmont or wilde, but it doesn't remind me of either of those and i think smells better on me, anyway.

Wow this is really great, I bought it for my DH and he immediately said, hmm, smells a bit like Obsession (which is what he always used to wear) and damn if it doesn't.

I like this, and it is not too "boy".

The Gentleman reminds me of Whitechapel, which is not surprising, as they have mostly the same notes (white musk, lime and lilac). Like Whitechapel, The Gentleman smells masculine, but turns too powdery from the white musk and too sweet from the lilac and lime to really be masculine for me (my husband refuses to wear either of these, saying they're too sweet). This is a bit lighter on the citrus and has a slight earthy note from the tobacco, but otherwise smells really similar to Whitechapel.

Edited by Little Bird

Cologne indeed, along with white musk, lime rind and something acrid and sour. This would be nice on a guy if it weren't for the sour smell. Kind of like vetiver. Weird, there's also something swee in the background. I wish the the sharp blend wasnn't there, I'd probably wear it otherwise.

ITB: It's powdery (tobacco) and musky, but pleasantly so because those are mixed with lilac and a touch of lime rind.

Wet: The lilac, lime, and now rosemary are much stronger on my skin, but the gentle tobacco remains underneath.

Dry: It fades considerably after a short period of time. In its current state, I can tease out the musk and tobacco and the faintest impression of rosemary.

In the imp: A sweet, herbal cologne.

Wet: Slightly cinnamony. I'm not sure where that's coming from based on the ingredients, but I'm OK with it.

Dry: There is so much that shouldn't work on me here. White musk, lime rind, tobacco leaf and lilac are usually terrible on me but this is brilliant. The cologne has faded to a base for a perfect blend of the herbs and flowers and the lime is peeking out. It's not as masculine as I was expecting either, so if I can, I'd get a full size one.