Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jolarocknrolla

Mother Shub's Cthulhustollen

Candied Kadathian orange peel and R'lyehthanese rum give Mother Shub's a little extra pizazz!

Rum balls! omg so rummy up front :joy: I don't get much orange at first because OMG RUM, but it rounds out the middle of the scent and takes the super sweetness down a notch. Smell slightly brown-sugary and cakey and maybe slightly nutty but very very much a rum-ball scent with the orange coming through towards the end. Very well blended after the rum settles. Love it, totally a festive foodie scent.

EDIT: An hour later the scent is almost entirely gone! :cry2: But that just means i get to re-apply and get more rummy goodness :joy:

Wow wow wow this is so sugary boozey good!!!!

When I first put it on it was all icing and cakey, with something that smelled like almond, but not bleech gross almond that I hate, but really nice almond, then it went to rum and stayed there, bit of orange comes through.

It did last quite a while on me, over three hours and still strong.

yeah, this sticks around, but happily it does not turn thin or plastic-y like some vanillas do (looking at you, Lemon Scented Sticky Bats and O)

Edited by stellamaris

Mmm! This is the christmas baked good scent I was looking for!

I normally don't like boozy scents... but this one is so well done with the orange to keep it fresh. And Then the rest of the scent is spicey and bready and wonderful!

Sadly it doesn't stick around long... but while it lasts it is really something special. Thinking with the short life and cozyness it might live as a bed time scent.

In the decant: A little bit of orange but mostly this smells a lot like a gingerbread sort of scent. A lot of BPAL's "spiced" blends do this to my nose, though this one also has a marzipan feel to it instead of straight up gingerbread.

On skin, wet: The spices definitely dominate, though I don't smell the cinnamon note that I amp like crazy, so that's good. There's still a hint of orange but it's definitely in the background. No more marzipan note, either.

On skin, dry: Much the same as it was wet. It's very slightly more balanced, but the spices are still front and centre, the orange behind.

After an hour: The rum peeks out a bit now and the orange hasn't gone away, at least, but the spices are still the dominant notes here. Still, it's nice, and worth a re-test.

Very orangey and boozey, it reminds me a little of Butter Rum Cookie from a few years ago.

This is really delicious, like orange rum-soaked gingerbread, but it verges on too foody for me. I'm impressed with how long the orange note stuck around on my skin, usually citruses fade away almost immediately. It's not incredibly sweet, but it is very much food-like in an almost distracting way. It's also very strong and has a good amount of throw.

It's pretty different from the other gingerbready scents that I've tried, but I think I'll stick with my bottle of Gingerbread Poppet which is a little lighter and sweeter.

ITI: Wow, it smells like marzipan drenched in rum.

Wet: Still more rum and marzipan, although now I can pick up on the candied orange, which is nice.

Dry: It's less marzipan once dried. Instead, I get a rum-infused pastry with small bits of candied orange - very much like a stollen.

It took me a while to figure out what this reminded me of--it was strongly reminiscent of another BPAL but I couldn't place it. When I finally did, it was with a big D'oh, because it's a favorite of mine: Miskatonic University. It's not a dead ringer. It has the rum note instead of the whiskey note, and no coffee. But it has the same cookie-ness to it that reminds me of toasted coconut or toasted almonds or both, and smells a little burny if I mash my wrist right into my nose but is really lovely in the throw. A nice warm nostalgic Yule scent.

This smelled, to me, a lot like Pumpkin Masala Rooibos at first, then it reminded me of Autumn Cider- it dries into candied orange and smells amazingly realistic.

This one reminded me -- and not in a good way -- of the fruity version of Sprinklecake. But at least with this one I knew I was supposed to be getting a fruity note, so at least it didn't shock me.

This reminds me strongly of the wonderful unreleased 2007 BPAL Fruitcake, with rum in place of the brandy. Candied fruits and marzipan with a sweet boozy undercurrent. Yummy!

In the decant: Stollen with rum soaked in. Hint of the orange peel.

Wet: Stollen, rum, hint of orange peel.

The dry-down: This stays true throughout. Mostly rum-soaked stollen. The orange peel is trying to take over too much, alas, but at the moment gives the scent a crispness. If this was the real thing, a slice of stollen on a plate, I'd happily devour it, along with a glass of milk. :) But I would probably pick off the candied orange peel.

Orange Fruitcake. This smells like the 2007 Fruitcake, with an orange overlay to it. It smells almond marzipan cake with oranges.

Foodie, christmassy, orange.

When it's wet I get lovely strong marzipan but it dries really quickly to faintly plasticky holiday candles on me :(

Imp: Oh wow, this smells like the delicious batter for the almond cookies I make at Christmastime!

Wet: I'm immediately swept to my kitchen on Christmas Eve, mixing the batter for my almond shortbread cookies that have been a favorite with my family for over 10 years now. I do get a punch of boozey rum (rum makes everything better) and a touch of zesty orange that isn't present in my version but goes so well with the almond and rum. I'm definitely in love with the scent itself and the powerful happy memories it evokes.

Dry: Less of the delectable almond shortbread batter and more of the rum and orange, which happily also holds a wonderful scent memory for me of my husband's and my first vacation since we had our daughter. We went to Blizz-Con, Disneyland, and had a very memorable dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse with these mouthwatering orange mojitos. I've loved every phase of this scent, not to mention the name. Anything mentioning Cthulhu is win in my geeky little book :wub2:

This scent reminds me of baking with extracts - boozy almond extract, sweet orange extract, and a sort of brown sugary sweetness and gingerbread spiciness. It's like baking holiday cookies with some sweet orange thrown in. It dries down to a faint, creamy/cakey sweet orange scent on me. Only lasts about an hour and a half total on my skin. I think that this is one of those foodie scents that I prefer as a room fragrance, so I'll probably use up the rest of my decant in the oil warmer. I like this one, but probably won't need more after I use up my decant.

This smells like an iced danish with filling, with the emphasis on 'iced'. Uber sweet, a filling that is of unrecognizable fruit, more than enough rum, and a touch of bready yeast. Really not me, way too foody, and not sure if I'd even want to eat something that smelled like this.

This one smells delicious for an hour or so, with lots of rum and sweetness. After that, it pretty much fades to nothing. I tried it on a bit of cotton to get it to last longer, but it didn't smell as nice as it does on me.

In the bottle - Marzipan with a hit of spice

Wet on me - A spicy bready mix with smooth marzipan running through it

Dry on me - Softly slightly spicy but very faint

Overall - I love the wet stages, but it dries very faint

Booze and some spicy carb-y desert. Fruitiness comes out more on my skin. This does smell very Christmassy! Pretty short wear-length on this, though. Not really my style but not bad, especially if you like rum.

Spicy, buttery cake with lots of orange zest, and tons of RUM! Think a boozy Huesos de Santo. It's been awhile since I tried Butter Rum Cookie but, for comparison, I'd say this is heavier on the orange zest, lighter on the almond (as in, I don't smell any), and about equal in terms of being extremely boozy! Although, after a few minutes, the rum does die down considerably. I'm left with a sweet, buttery, festive foody scent. This scent does not last long at all...that's the only drawback.

Almond, then some Danish pastry. I got the orange peel, then it faded, so I’m left with the soft almond.

Stollen is one of my favorite Christmas foods! So I had to get a scent based on it.

In the bottle: Boozy almond, primarily. Kind of smells like an almond/rum extract. I can smell a bit of the orange peel in there, too, but it's not as strong as the rum and almond.

On my skin: There's more of the candied orange peel here now. Sugary orange, almond (the almost cherry-ish extract kind), rum. It's on the sweeter side, with a creamy base tying it all together, so it's more like a rum cake with frosting than a cocktail.

Drying, the orange zest fades, and it's smelling more like marzipan cake now - creamy sweet almond and rum.

After 1+ hours it's lighter, but if I sniff my wrist it's slightly spiced, creamy, and rich.

This and Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chèvre have ended up as two of my favorite foody blends - yay Mother Shub!