Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chapanis

Miss Addie

The next house, No. 55, is kept by Miss Addie Blashfield, the dashing brunette, who has eight or ten boarders, both blondes and brunettes. These are a pretty lot of girls, of pleasing and engaging manners. It is regarded as a first class house, very quiet and orderly and is visited by some of our first citizens.

Red sandalwood, vanilla orchid, sweet clove, neroli, apple blossom, and a gentle hint of star anise.

In the bottle I was concerned about how much apple blossom and neroli I was getting. Very fresh apple blossom and neroli. Not apple at all but the soft white blossoms. But I shouldn't have worried. Once on the skin it blooms. For the first few seconds it is still very fresh and flowers but as it settles the vanilla orchid comes in to warm it up along with creamy red sandalwood. The sweet clove must help round it out and warm it up as well but not in a way that it distinct, just depth and warmth. I was concerned about the star anise in this since it doesn't generally work well on me, but here it must just be adding to complexity since it is not distinguishable either but even less so than the sweet clove.
Overall, a very sexy sophisticated perfume much like the story would suggest.
A little goes a long way. Apply with care.

I think I may have to try this again since it was very faint and light on me. I got neroli, apple blossom, and then it dissipated. There's slight sandalwood left...

But yeah, my skin just ate this up. :(

ETA: Okay, so this time, I put a little more on. On wet, I get the neroli, apple blossom and the vanilla orchid. It's sweet, slightly sour and an odd combination on my skin. It dries to a vanilla orchid with a hint of sandalwood to it. The drydown I find almost makes up for the weirdness on wet, but not quite.

The vibe however reminds me to Miss Jenny or Miss Ida, from the NYCC blends.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Thoughts before testing: Any perfume with sweet clove in the description gets an automatic try from me no matter what else is in the blend.

Wet: Apple blossom and orchid. Pretty nonsoapy floral. Nothing to write home about, and I get none of my beloved sweet clove.

Dry down: Less than 15 minutes in, it's practically gone from my arm. I can just barely smell it.

Dry: And after half an hour, it's vanished completely.

Final thoughts: I'm not one for scent lockets, so this one needs to be rehomed.

Verdict: Off to the sales!

I love sandalwood, clove, and anise, so something in this should have worked on me. Unfortunately, it's nothing but a sharp white floral on my skin and smells to me both wet and on drydown just like Snow White. Snow White does not work for me at all, and neither does Miss Addie. :cry2:

Imp: Slightly soapy floral.

Wet: Ooh, now I'm getting the apple blossom! I detect some of the clove and perhaps the neroli as well. Very feminine and lovely.

Dry: As it warms, the vanilla orchid sneaks in to round this out and lend a delicate sweet creaminess to the clove and apple. Oh man, this was almost my grail clove scent but it ended up going a little too perfume-y. I will still keep and love my decant <3

Imp: I'm not quite sure what I'm getting from the imp; something sweet, something different, but I can't quite place my finger on it.

Wet, on: Straight up floral; it almost reminds me of a vial of honeysuckle perfume oil I've had for ages. I don't get the sandalwood or the vanilla at all. It's nice, but not what I was expecting.

Drydown: This is gone far too quick, and I've even done a re-application. There's a slight hint of vanilla left on my wrist, but not enough to even notice unless I stick my wrist straight up on my nose.

Miss Addie would have been right at home with those other pretty ladies of BPAL from The District :smile:

I grabbed a half-decant of this, knowing it wouldn't be for me, but the note combo sounded so lovely that I really wanted to have a little to try anyway. And I'm glad I did, because it's just so pretty - kind of classy, very feminine, slightly luscious yet genteel.

Mostly what I get here when I first apply the oil is the gorgeous waxy vanilla orchid as a mid note, with the neroli and apple blossom as the top notes. The red sandalwood is a little lost inside the sweetness of the top notes, but it does provide a nice warm base and adds a slight duskiness that cuts nicely through the mix. I'm not picking up on the star anise all that much - it's very subtle - and I'm getting no clove at all.

After about 15 minutes on my skin though, all the subtleties that I noticed at first have faded and I'm left with... uhm... dusky vanilla peach. Really? Peach? Yep! And after about 30 minutes, it's pretty much completely gone - I can barely find the spot on my arm where I applied it. So overall... lovely, but fleeting.

I like every note listed for this except for the apple blossom, but I can't really pick out any of the notes that are supposed to be in this one.

Miss Addie is a sharp, almost smoky-musky-perfumey sort of floral. I get a hint of a sickly sweet, vaguely fruity note at first, but the drydown is all perfumey smelling white floral with a dry, almost green edge that reminds me of oakmoss and ferns.

This is a really flat scent on me. Not very complex. Mostly a perfumey white floral that fades quickly.

I can pick out clove, and perhaps the red sandalwood, but this honestly had a terrible reaction on my skin. It's smells like clove bandaids. :rantrave:

I get some prettiness from the sweet clove and the apple blossom, but also that sharpness from the neroli (not necessarily a bad thing!) and that plastic scent that seems to come with sandalwood and anise (certainly a bad thing). Bah, no dice for me.

I should have known better. I am too common and loud to fit into Miss Addie's fancy boarding house, and the fragrance is too fancy for me.

When I read the scent description of Miss Addie, I had hope: clove, anise, sandalwood...maybe it could warm up the flowers (especially that prissy orchid) enough to let us get along? I had hoped those notes could dirty up the girls of the boarding house, let them let their hair down a little. Let them be a little naughty.

Nope. They are way too prim, proper, and well-behaved.

In the bottle, it was a little warmer, and the floral notes subdued enough to allow me to try it...but as soon as it hit my skin, all I got out of Miss Addie was orchid. FLOWER NOTE OF DEATH (see also: rose). And it just kept amping until I eventually had to wash it off (after it had already given me a headache)

Nope. I am more suited to a cheap hotel than a fancy boardinghouse.

Floral, but somehow sour in a way. It kind of reminds me of a fancy floral soap. There's something a bit creamy and waxy at the same time. Not getting any clove here. It kind of reminds me of the actual gardenia flower, how it's kind of waxy. This is far too heady for me.

I feel like this maybe should have worked on me? I don't hate any of those notes, and "gentle" is exactly how I like anise. But something in this smells off to me. I can't put my finger on what it is. It's not bad, it just smells distorted somehow. Like it was trying to be something else, but it's off. I don't know how else to explain it. I think that apple blossom and anise/clove is not my favorite combination. I'm guessing that's what's going on here.

On paper, this sounds like it should've worked with me. I think the kind of reaffirms my apple blossom turns... odd on me. It's a sad bit, but I think I may retry in a few weeks.

I got this one from the Etsy shop, where the description was slightly different: "Night-blooming wildflowers, indigo musk, black currant, and clove." I should have checked over here first, because oh my goodness I do not care for this scent, and had I known that the description might be incorrect on Etsy, that would have made a huge difference. I was expecting a more fruity/spicy scent, and what I get from this is a noseful of what I interpreted as lily of the valley, but if the description over here is correct, maybe it's orchid. Neither of them is a favorite of mine, and sadly I don't see myself ever wearing this.

Wet: neroli and blossoms, but mostly sandalwood. If the clove is there, it's very slight. I really have to take a deep breath to pick any of it up.

Drydown: orchid and sandalwood, a little too floral for me.

Dry: very pretty. sandalwood, clove, neroli, apple blossom are blended down, and orchid isn't too cloying. Overall, it smells like a slightly sweeter version of Snow White.

Edit: was getting my reviews mixed up.

Edited by Carrie

I was hoping for a good chunk of clove and sandalwood with violets/night-blooming flowers here. On my skin, I'm having trouble picking anything out, or indeed even finding it. I get a touch of dusty violet, and that's about it. It's rather watery on me, which is a shame because the notes sounded lovely!

Where I'd wear this: a job interview where you don't want your perfume to be noticeable

I am a bit concerned I may be reviewing the wrong scent. This one says "The Gentleman's Directory" on it, which to me, signifies THE OTHER MISS ADDIE, but then it has the notes for this one listed right on it. Sadly there is no date, which would clarify. Hopefully I'll be able to tell if I am putting the scent in the right thread based on how it smells.

Wet: Sandalwood and apple blossom are prominent, so I guess this is the right scent? It's all sort of muddled, which makes me wonder if I am picking out notes because I am expecting them to be there....No, I'm not crazy. I do smell the sandalwood, and the apple. Actually, I get the orchid now too, as it's rather heady. This is sort of nice, but as I say, somewhat muddled.

Dry: This turns quite floral, and is primarily orchid and apple blossom, with some neroli. I think I would like it more if the sandalwood was more prominent. It's nice, but just not wowing me.

Neroli and apple blossom were the two main notes on me wet, and it reminded me a bit of Delirium, the way the sweet apple and bittersweet neroli notes held each other in tension. As Miss Addie dried down, though, I got some sandalwood and even more vanilla orchid, and while I love vanilla, orchid is often not a good note on me. I never did get clove or star anise -- full disclosure, I have had a bit of a cold recently, but I really can't make them out. Ultimately too much white flowers for my taste and not enough of the backing notes to make it interesting for me. Pleasant but not essential.

Neroli and I often do not get along, and that is the case here. It dominates throughout, with the apple blossom lurking behind it early on, and the anise, clove, and vanilla orchid accompanying it later. I only get a little of the red sandalwood. It smells like a cloying neroli floral on me with some spice. Miss Addie is just not for me.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I get apple blossom and neroli and orchid, with a little sandalwood in the background.  This smells like expensive department store perfume in the best way - it’s floral and interesting and long-lasting while still still unique and complex in the way that BPAL does better than anyone else.

ETA: I have been wearing this every day this summer and it’s been just lovely.  It stays close to the body and doesn’t feel overwhelming for long, hot days but still manages to be delicious and sexy and complex.  I’m almost at the end of this bottle and will miss Miss Addie when she’s gone.

Edited by MonkeysInk