Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nia

Scents that smell "motherly" and protective

When you thought that every possible situation that requires perfume is already included here, there's one more.

I'm a high school teacher. One of my students, a boy age 16, extremely shy, soccer fanatic, lives in a foster home that is being dismantled. My husband and I are in the proccess of applying to foster him, and we are getting to know each other outside school. Tomorrow will be the second time we meet socially. He's coming for dinner.

I plan to scent the house with Bastet's Laughter (smells a bit fruity-spicy). Now, any recommendations for my perfume? What about blends to go to see the Foster Children Office and convince them that I can be trusted with a boy who's not even 20 years younger than me?

Thanks!

Welp, I think the perfect scent for this situation, hands down is Lionheart. It's a courage and drive builder while being warm and mother lion-y all at the same time. And I'm thinking from what I can smell, it's got lavender in it too. It's sweet, warm and comforting, while giving a feeling of protection confidence all in one go.

If any of the Lilith blends work well on you, I think they'd be ideal as a lot of motherly love went into creating them.

Now, any recommendations for my perfume? What about blends to go to see the Foster Children Office and convince them that I can be trusted with a boy who's not even 20 years younger than me?

I think High John the Conqueror sounds just right for that.

I have no scent recommendations, but thank you for trying to foster him. This is a wonderful thing you're doing.

I second High John the Conqueror it's soft and comforting. Also I immediately thought of: Madame Tracy, Bearded Lady and Norman's Grandma.

Vanilla-heavy scents oftentimes read maternal, as well as anything baked-goods style, as that hits the stereotype of mother/nurturer baking and feeding people. Morocco, Lyonesse, Tombstone, Boo, all of those work for the vanilla-focused scents. Bread and Butter-fly, Eat Me, maybe Shub-Nigguruth are all baked-goods scents off the top of my head. As well as vanilla-scents, I'd go for sweet spicy scents like Chimera.

I would try for any lavender vanilla blend. Calm soothing, comforting.

Also all matrons that I know wear lavender!!

Thanks, everyone! Out of the ideas mentioned, I have: High John, that I will keep for the interviews, and other magical blends that can be appropriate like Temple: mother, Charisma, or Catalyst; and then for the motherly/protective aspect of things I have thought about:

Chanukkiyah - it's a cross-cultural thing: here, we associate foodie scents with teenagers. I don't want to smell of vanilla, but this one has a nice "Mediterranean sweets deep-fried in olive oil" that just might work.

Jasmine Cottage - smells of a clean house with a garden and it's my wedding scent.

Paris - sweet lavender.

Emathides - musky lavender.

TKO - vanilla/lavender.

The Gladdener of all hearts - out of the Lilith scents, my favourite. And one of my favourite bedtime scents so it will help me be relaxed.

Harvest Moon. I don't know why but I like the idea.

Antique Lace, Bastet, or Hope would work if I had them. Also, any blend with baby powder.

My brain immediately went to Milk Moon or Chaste Moon, particularly the 2005 versions, mostly because MM05 is my ultimate comfort scent.

In terms of GC scents, Sudah Segara is a great suggestion. Also, maybe Yemaya or Kali for their great mother/protector connetations or Santa Muerte for motherly comfort.

When I want to cuddle my children I go for Lyonesse, Lilith Victoria, Morocco, Spanish Red Carnation, Bliss or Sugar Plum Fairy.

You've got to get your hands on some Blackbear Moon from last year! It smells warm and protective like a mother bear. Really evocative.