Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An October funeral, 1888. Black linen and delicate, sugar-spun lace suffused with the scent of tobacco, black tea, Indian musk, liturgical incense, and cognac, with a drop of laudanum and crushed Autumn leaves.

Oh my, it's like the lovechild of Falling Leaf Moon and Black Lace. :wub2:

The Lab seems to have a few different leaf notes and this is definitely the one from Falling Leaf Moon. Woodsy, misty, a little spicy. And it's layered heavily over that ultra-well-blended, sweet musky quality that I associate with Black Lace-- it's the kind of scent that doesn't seem to have a lot of individually identifiable notes, but is just one big impression of sugary smoked linen.

Overall, Autumn Lace is both sexy and cozy. I don't know what else to say except that it strikes me as a BPAL classic. I'm so glad I bought it!

In the bottle: On cold sniff, this reminds more of Antique Lace more than Black Lace, which is quite fine with me, mixed with a fallen leaf note.

Wet: The sweetness is fading somewhat.

The dry-down: This lovely scent doesn't morph too much as it dries down, although the incense note comes out more to the foreground. :) The leaf note may be indeed the same from my beloved Falling Leaf Moon. I've often dabbed a bit of Milk Chocolate Buttercream on FLM to give it a touch of sweetness, but might try Boo! instead. If you like any of the scents with dead/dried/fallen leaf notes, this is certainly one to try. :)

This comes closer to Black Lace than any of the other lace blends have since (that's a good thing!), and I agree that the dried-leaf note is much like the one from Falling Leaf Moon. This is very soft on my skin and not overpowering (as opposed to Black Lace which is practically visible in the air). Very nice and will probably be even better next fall with some age behind it.

I agree that this is a mix of Black Lace and Falling Leaf Moon. I get the sugary, smoky linen base of Black Lace with the woodiness of Falling Leaf Moon. The overall feel of the scent is sweet musky coziness.

I just got this from the mailbox :joy: but I can NOT wait to test it- I'll edit later if necessary...

In The Bottle: A combination of Black Lace, Antique Lace and the leaf note from Death In Autumn (which is my personal *favorite* leaf note.) We are off to a good start! :)

Wet On Skin: Same as above but with the addition of the Laudanum adding a dark perfume-y aspect.

Dry Down: Wow. This is just...wow. The laudanum has settled down and what remains is a warm, deep beautifully sexy version of the above: The sweet, dreamy elements of Antique Lace, the dark cognac and stained linen of Black Lace, the rich, mulchy leaf note of Death In Autumn and the addition of the spice and resin incense that perhaps was in Mlle Moriarty and Snake Charmer, with the laudanum adding depth and grounding to the whole thing. Just amazing. :wub2:

In All: Medium to Heavy throw- a little seems to be going quite a long way, so tread lightly at first- this scent is sensual and drop-dead gorgeous and I have a distinct feeling that it will only get better with age- if that's even possible. :thud:

I bought two bottles cold, just based on the description, but honestly, I *might* need to get a third, just in case.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by VioletChaos

Fresh out of the mailbox (and it is chilly today, I didn't even wait for it to warm up! :lol:) : to my nose, this is reminiscent of Tattered Lace more than any others, but I definitely get the Falling Leaf Moon leaf scent (which I was hoping for!) Absolutely gorgeous, vaguely "perfumey" with the addition of that gorgeous leafy note.

I think the cognac reads as "perfumey" on my skin, not in a bad way, but more perfumey than boozey. Tattered Lace and Black Lace both had that same backnote on me, but weirdly so does Red Lace. So maybe it's some particular "Lace" note? Good thing I like it! :D

I will retest when it has settled from its journey a little and post any changes.... but so far, Falling Leaf Lace!

I find this super masculine - pretty, but isn't standing out a lot to me. I'd rather someone give it the love it deserves, esp. as it was so limited, it seems, so am going to swap it.

This is closer to Tattered Lace than Black Lace IMO -- the tobacco, tea, and vanilla are the dominant players here. There is none of the gorgeous Indian musk that I adore so much (and I amp musks like whoa), and without it Autumn Musk is just sort of vaguely sweet and flat. For those that found Black Lace to be too musky but enjoyed everything else, this may be a solid bet. For me, however, I am completely content with the original recipe. :)

In bottle: high-pitched perfume

On skin: creamy Lace base right away, that perfumey vanilla

Half-hour later: the Lace base is dustied up with dry leaves and tobacco

In conclusion: I like that this one starts out as Black Lace ends, the vanilla and linen that's strong and "perfumey" but not too obnoxious. The dustier ending reminds me of Hunter Moon 2007, those October leaves crackling above the vanilla. This blend is stronger overall than the past few Laces I've bought, which seem to fade quickly.

This puts me in mind of a lighter, more subdued Black Lace, with that same perfuminess but in a softer way. The leaf note isn't very prominent to my nose, but down in there is something reminscent of the air in an apple orchard. It really does evoke autumn.

Will let it settle a bit and retest, because I found with Tattered Lace that it took months of aging for the coconut bark to really emerge and I suspect the leaf note here might be similar. I think this one might only get better and richer with age.

I wanted to love this, but alas, this just didn't do much on my skin. I have to remember that my skin does best with a scent that has some brightness/ kick to it from somewhere, and this just doesn't have that zing like Tattered Lace did for me (although it was much more throw and lasted longer.) This is dark, sweet, a little perfumey, creamy, musky and a little smokey. Lovely, just not very me! I have not tried any version of Black Lace so I can't compare.

On me, this is exactly like Red Lace without the redness, i.e. the raspberry, pomegranate, and red musk. (Somebody said the same thing after previewing it at a Con - was it Mellifluous? If so, he was dead right.) Since Red is my favorite of the Laces I've tried before now (I think I only have Antique and Absinthe left to go), Autumn is a total win for me.

It is smoky, sexy, and sort of wistful and dignified all at once. I absolutely love the Lab's tobacco note, and here it lends its distinctive bite quite beautifully to the smokiness of the incense and musk and the sweet, slight booziness of the cognac. I didn't care for Black Lace because it seemed too perfumey; Autumn Lace has a distinctive Victorian air about it, but I wouldn't call it perfumey. And the sugar in "sugar spun lace" doesn't pose any problem for me at all, thankfully - sugar almost always turns awful on me.

Autumn Lace really embodies the imagery behind it, and I can see it getting heavy rotation in both Fall and Winter, and any time the weather turns rainy and chill. I will wear it when I'm snuggled up on my couch with a good novel, when the mist is creeping along the ground outside. I know that it will only get deeper and richer with age, too.

I adore this, but I have no plans to break my loose "no backups" rule because I really hope that when this gets restocked, everyone who wants it will have a shot at it.

I will treasure my bottle, for sure! A million thanks to meaganola for group ordering so quickly. :wub2:

ETA: Oh, geez, and the label is fantastic, too.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I think that this is most like Tattered Lace out of all the Laces - I get tea and tobacco strongly upon initial application. It is also a "higher-pitched" Lace - less deep and more bright with the initial application. I don't really get much of the leaves note; or if I do, it's melding into something else well enough that I can't smell it. Autumn Lack dries down very close to how Tattered Lace does as well - sweet and a little musky. I was hoping for something more different from this Lace, but I like Tattered Lace very much and these are so similar on my skin that I don't need a second bottle of either one. Both are keepers, though. :)

Sugary tea, soft tobacco smoke, and linen hit me right away, with a background of something sweet and vaguely perfumey that I can't place. Maybe it's the cognac? If so, I'm gonna dance a jig since usually booze turns acidic on my skin. Or maybe it's the leaves? Perhaps it's both, as after a few more minutes the sweetness deepens and melds more with the tobacco, tea, and linen. The more I sniff, the more I think it's the leaves--dry, crunchy, almost smoky leaves.

I'm glad I took a chance on a bottle right away, and I hope those who've wanted one get one. wub2.gif

In bottle: It’s tough to pin down the order of strength as it’s very balanced and well blended. I’m going to call it black tea on top with linen, cognac, musk, and tobacco for support. I’m not a fan of linen, but it plays beautifully with others here. The sugar is subtle, but pervasive. The laudanum is a clever little accent. The incense is soft and blends well with the laudanum. This is just terribly subtle and clever in it’s design. Wet: The musk is stronger on my skin as I amp musk, but I think I can handle it. I’m suspecting patchouli as being in the incense blend. Either way, the incense is stronger and dancing with the musk. The tea and cognac are now about second in strength and the whole thing is both sweeter and more wickedly sexual. The leaves are now dancing with the linen. I have a bad history with autumn leaves, which are hit or miss, but this works to my pleased surprise. Dry: More linen on the dry down. It’s mostly musk with some linen and a touch of incense.

From the bottle, Autumn Lace smells quite similar to Black Lace. On, quite similar as well, but not as cologney, if that makes sense. I also get the similarities to Red Lace, but without the red fruits. I hardly wear my Black Lace, as it is just too intense, but this is just beautiful with the cognac and tobacco vanilla with a soft smattering of dried leaves. This has jumped to my top ten, and perfect for this time of year, a lovely warm, inviting Lace. Win!! :wub2:

I got my bottle from Dark Delicacies today and immediately slathered up.

~swoon~

This one really does live up to the hype, it's amazing.

I'm getting a bit of the Black Lace vibe, there seems to be a similar dusky, linen, cognac type of feel to it. For the other part, it seems a little more like Samhain than Falling Leaf Moon to my nose. It seems like a Samhain sort of musky sweetness and I almost feel like I'm getting a hint of apple every once in a while in the very begining, although that seems to fade out pretty quickly, maybe I imagined it. The result is a sexy yet snuggly scent that would be great for sitting on the couch with tea, out walking in the leaves, or dazzling those around you during an evening out. I will cherish this bottle, that's for sure.

Yep. That's Black Lace with dry leaves. :) I think I'll like this one once it settles (I did try it right out of the cold mailbox). The leaves are going a bit celery like on me right now (maybe it's the combo of linen and leaves?). It is more subdued than BL, a bit dustier and contemplative. Like BL's bookish little sister. :lol: Can't compare it to Samhain or Falling Leaves Moon as I haven't tried either of those, but it is a very pretty and evocative fall scent. Looking forward to seeing how this one does given a bit of time to rest, but I do have a lot of Black Lace already, so I may not need this after all.

GAH! Cheap hairspray! I thought that caramel was the only note that did this on me.

Maybe with age things will change? I hope so. If not, off to the swaps section it goes!

On my skin and to my nose, Autumn Lace, though more subtle, is similar to Intergalactic. Though both are very sugary on me, a difference is that Autumn Lace has more of a leafy undertone while Intergalactic has a more fruity-floral undertone. Since comparisons were made to Black Lace, I got out my bottle (13th anniversary release), and on my skin I amp more incense and tobacco than sugar.

Overall, Autumn Lace is lovely sugary scent. The only downside is that it doesn't seems to last very long on me. It is sweet and light and I'm glad that I took a chance and ordered it.

I smell Black Lace mostly in this too, with a hint of Antique Lace at the start!

Once it's dry, it is pretty much the twin of Devil's Night on my skin!

I've never tried Black Lace (I know, blasphemous almost, right? I'm just not one to actively seek out those HTFs) but this is actually quite similar to Raven Moon on me, which I love. I mean, I really love the most current incarnation of Raven Moon. LOVE it. But it also has that touch of smoky dry leaves plus sweetness, that just makes it scream AUTUMN!!! Occasionally as it wafts about, it almost reminds me a little of Samhain here and there.

After drydown, after a couple hours, it is a very light throw and gets faint. Leaves behind a light and slightly smoky sweetness. That's the first BPAL in a long time that has done that, and stays so close to my skin.

But alas, it is beautiful and lives up to expectations and hype.

:evol:

Autumn Lace, you are such a conundrum. I barely get, if at all, any linen notes. So you smell like spilled tea, leaves, and some sort of musk.

Yeah, that's it.

Tea, leaves and some smoky sweetness. Utterly bland, and very forgettable on me.

This is gorgeous! It reminds me so much of Black Lace. It's like a sweeter, woodsy, Black Lace. I'm glad I bought two bottles. This is totally a favorite!

In the bottle: Opening the bottle, I get the same cloying sugar note that I get from Red Lace, which is a good start.

Wet on skin: There's definitely a burst of tobacco on top of the sugar note, just as in Black Lace, plus the same flowery leaves I get from Witch Dance (I guess they just might be "leaves").

Dry on skin: Very much like a leaffy, sweeter Black Lace, although not as rich and potent.

Final thoughts: This is very nice! I ordered from the second batch, having missed the first (because I wanted to wait for reviews) and I'm not sorry I did. It's not as potent as Black Lace is, but it's still pretty strong. I hope it'll mellow with age (but Black Lace 2009 never did like its 2007 version) and get somewhat creamier, although it won't stop me from wearing it this season!

Try if you like: Black Lace, Red Lace, Witch Dance

Edited by CreamyJade