Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ordo_ad_Chao

Using BPAL to negate the smell of death?

I do a fair bit of working on cadavers for my training (better than learning on live people, right?) and I enjoy working with bodies. Except for the smell. I can NOT get past it. I tried the vicks vaporub under my nose, and I think I burned my sinuses. So I'm wondering about using the BPAL to help make it more bearable.

And after today I'm quite sure that some scents would be more fitting than others- Obviously it would need to be fairly strong and have decent throw. Which aged Snake Oil normally does for me- plus it's gorgeous on my skin. But I learned that Snake Oil + formaldehyde + the tank next to me with the body that is horribly and uncontrollably moldy is a recipe for the dry heaves. I swear, it may have actually enhanced the death scent.

I prefer my death to smell of black musk and opoponax, but so far not enough strength to the blends I've tried to reach the nose!

I'll probably try absinthe tomorrow, but I'd be glad for suggestions!

Wrath would be a good one to try. Strong dragons blood and cinnamon in it that my partner can smell from just about anywhere in the house. Tiki King has some oomph to it too.Ultraviolet is similar to vicks so it may be your savior.

Be warned though...I used to wear Penumbra during my anatomy labs, but then I couldn't wear it ever again without the association with death/formalin! I had to swap it away after that. :(

Be warned though...I used to wear Penumbra during my anatomy labs, but then I couldn't wear it ever again without the association with death/formalin! I had to swap it away after that. :(

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Don't use something that you love, because you might associate the smell with death or whatever you are trying to not smell.

I have all of those! Will definitely have to try Wrath, since I'm not head over heels for it.

but I'm definitely not using cinnamon! It's my note of glory and I would be heartbroken to have it tainted.

How apropos would Embalming Fluid be if it had that potency? hmmm... maybe Delousing Powder or something else that's been described as lemon cleaner?

Delousing powder had almost no throw on me, so ymmv

Do you have haunted? That has a nice bit of throw, the black musk on me goes kind of lemony so, cleaner plus throw equals less dead smell?

i would choose something very minty. like a lick it, maybe. ultraviolet was a good suggestion. perhaps something super clovey would be effective too. you want something to really attack your nose instead of the death stench :lol:

may i ask what you're training for? :D

i would choose something very minty. like a lick it, maybe. ultraviolet was a good suggestion. perhaps something super clovey would be effective too. you want something to really attack your nose instead of the death stench :lol:

may i ask what you're training for? :D

DPT/Ph.D- Physical Therapy, emphasis in wound care. And Neurorehab.

I do have a couple lick it imps and ultraviolet! I'll have to try them! Lots of good ideas!

I'd also recommend Hypothermia, if you can get ahold of it. It's less sweet, but just as minty and bracing as Lick It, and on me at least it's VERY potent.

I don't think anything can negate the smell of death (from what I've heard.) I do have to work in an environment heavy with rancid bacon grease sometimes.

I've found musky, dirty scents generally make the problem worse (so does Snake Oil). Resins and spices are probably your best bet, especially if they're strong and sweet (not foody, just sweet). My favorites are Melainis (powerfully sweet caramel with spices. Yes there's musk but it's overpowered) Sentimental Initiation (even though it's got black musk, there's some powerful clove) Day of the Skulls (it doesn't seem like white sandalwood, tobacco and beeswax should be so strong, but they're pretty effective at blocking smell for me.

As for GC, maybe some of the spicy ones other people have suggested. I've used Event Horizon, but it hasn't cut into the bad smell the way I wanted.

Edited by patina

It was a long time ago that I was in Anatomy lab for medical school.

The smell that got to me worst wasn't so much the flesh itself, but the formaldehyde. That kind of off, rubbery, dry, smell that envelops you and first year medical students, and you can't get out of anything...

I would recommend NOT using Nosferatu as that scent brings back immediate flashbacks to Anatomy Lab for me.

I personally gravitate towards fresh scents during the day. Mint may combine too much with the formalin smell and irritate, so something like Night's Bridge or a stoney/light/perfumey but not strong scent may be a better choice. Formaldehyde is such a STRONG scent that adding more strong would just make the association worse.

If you can do rose, Delirium might be good for covering up ickiness. That stuff is *strong*. And has lemon for some freshness.

It was a long time ago that I was in Anatomy lab for medical school.

The smell that got to me worst wasn't so much the flesh itself, but the formaldehyde. That kind of off, rubbery, dry, smell that envelops you and first year medical students, and you can't get out of anything...

Yes, THIS. Last year was so horrid! This year I go in after the first years are done and sever ligaments and such so we can learn to accurately feel positive tests done on a patients. So last year I actually got acclimated to it. This year I'm in there regularly but infrequently enough that it is a stomach-roiling shock each time.

I have imps of most of these scents, so I'm thinking I'll try my way through them on my twice-weekly body visits! Thank you all so much for the suggestions!!

I vote for keeping a large stash of mint chewing gum handy. Trident or Extra. Fills your mouth, mask, & sinuses & is good against the pervasive stink & unsettled stomach. Helped me in the anatomy lab & helps now when I see pts with really juicy necrotic ulcerative wounds or cancers.

Lemon soap when you wash up afterwards is helpful, too.

I love mah BPALs to much to create those scent associations and aversions.

I'm so glad you're enjoying your training. Have fun!

Exhibit Hall Fatigue is heavy on mint, and it does not smell lovely perfumey, it's more of an aromatherapy type oil to me.

I hear cinnamon is good for this... so maybe you want something cinnamon-heavy like Chimera or Bengal (or the LE The Hell of Great Heat)?

I was going to say, try a cinnamon scent, or if you really don't want to bathe in any one scent, maybe cinnamon Altoids? Just a suggestion...

Sign in to follow this