Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Vial of Holy Water

VIAL OF HOLY WATER
The gleaming, indescribably clean scent of purified, ritually consecrated holy water.

I know how crazy I'm going to sound but this actually smells like water. Now I'm sure there are people who are going to think "well that's a big help water has no smell" but imagine opening a bottle of cool, crisp water straight out of the fridge, no other scent mixed in except utter crispness and coolness--that's how this smells. It's fresh but not cologney, refreshing without being minty, clean without being soapy. There is really no other way to describe it. I can't even begin to pick out notes besides the fact that it's the perfect balance of aquatic and ozonic and still completely unisex. I want an entire tank full of holy water when and if this comes out!

Wet: This water reminds me of the water note in Water Phoenix.

Dry: Thankfully the Water Phoenix note burns off and it becomes this wonderful, queerly, bright vial of effervescent water. I do enjoy this...I will need a bottle. And that is all. Fin. :D

So this starts of as a strong cucumber/basil oil (and it even smells oily) as opposed to water. There's something that smells almost bitter to me.

On wet however, the cucumber/basil aspect of it is amazing.

Very clean and fresh smelling at first, like the purest water in a pool in the forest, as I get a teensy bit of greenery. After a bit, still aquatic, but something is going funny on me, a few blends do this to me, it kind of smells a bit like earthy fungus. It was nice at first, and it's not that the fungus is unpleasant, it just isn't me.

Chemical and sharp, reminds me of grapefruit scented/flavored sparkling water, extremely zesty.  When I originally tried this in 2013, I smelled cucumber, but I don't get that impression anymore.  Dries down more literally dry smelling and soapy.  Like soapy dryer sheets scented with sharp citrus peel and "spring rain" soapiness.

Edited by Little Bird

In the imp, it's hard to smell this at all. It's very light and a little ozone-y. It makes me curious about how it will smell when it hits skin, since nothing jumps out or seems dominant.

Wet I get cucumber and white musk. It's a little sharp and high, but it settles down pretty quickly to something quite lovely, a light musk with herbal undertones. It's much stronger once it hits the heat of skin than in the imp.

The throw turns moderate. The musk lingers and settles in with cucumber and something that smells a lot like oakmoss to me. As the hours pass, all that remains is whatever is registering as oakmoss and a little musk. Good staying power. This is something complex enough to stand on its own and likely to play nicely with some of the other RPG scents.

Normally, water inspired blends don't work on me, but I was pleasantly surprised by this! It definitely has a hint of the classic BPAL aquatic note, but it's not so high pitched here. It actually doesn't smell wet to me. Instead, it's soft, cool and fresh, with a hint of cucumber and a slight fizz. This reminds me of pale green stems and flowing white robes, and clouds reflected in a sparkling stream.

In the imp: herbal and aquaticy

Fresh on skin: kind of dryer sheety, aquatic, cool bluish-green. Not unpleasant though, most scents like this give me a headache or make me kind of queasy, but this doesn't.

When I smelled it on Michi, it smelled like a really nice, light, floral scent - almost like rose flower water used for cooking. I didn't smell that note at all when it was wet, but it's starting to come out a little bit as it dries more. But it's still largely a dryer-sheety aquatic on me. I always want to like aquatics, but they usually end up giving me a headache thanks to my chemistry.

So this CAN smell really nice! Just apparently not on me. :(

In imp: Reminds Sunlitgarden of rosewater. I do not smell roses, but it's definitely floral.

Drydown: Almost like the dreaded dryer sheets, but something besides the high quality of the ingredients is saving it from "yuck" territory.

Later: The note that stings my throat has faded. What remains is a gentle damp floral, appropriate for the theme. Unfortunately, it fades quickly -- almost gone within a half hour. I still enjoy it.

This was a frimp from a lovely forumite.

In the imp, it's watery greenery. There's a very, very faint note of mint.

For the first two to three hours, it's minty water. It reminds me very much of a sparkling, mint-flavored mineral water that I get at Whole Foods sometimes. Light, very clean, and refreshing.

After that it becomes light aquatic men's cologne, and now, at the end of the day, it's mostly white musk.

Vial of Holy Water has terrific staying power for such a light scent. It's well-suited to summer weather. I think it would be a great unisex scent, as well.

In the imp: This smells very clean. I hate to say it, but it kind of reminds me of laundry detergent.

Wet: Still very clean, definitely aquatic, and I think I am picking up a floral note in this.

Dry: A flowery aquatic.

Verdict: I am not a fan of aquatics, and I can't see myself using this one for layering purposes, so this one isn't for me.

In the bottle: Water that is lightly sweet, just a touch floral, underpinned with a salty aquatic note.

Wet on my skin: Salty and sweet, with a touch of what I'd usually call a cologne tang, but not at all strongly. It all balances out to a little like wet ozone.

Drydown: The same notes, salty and sweet alternating. Seriously alternating: every time I sniffed my wrists it swapped.

This is a really interesting water scent - even though it's got salty elements, it doesn't strike me the same way that the ocean-based aquatic notes do. The throw is above average and the duration is great, lasting most of the day on me. It's a very fresh scent that's a few degrees different from the other BPAL water scents I've tried. I'd suggest giving it a try either if you're already an aquatic fan, or if you haven't quite found one that works for you yet.

In the imp: Magic water! There's a very light aquatic scent here, a hint of aquatic florals & a touch of something green & wet plant-like like seaweed or cucumber.

Wet on skin: A big hit of saltwater at first, but it fades quickly. Seaweed is my main impression here (not a bad thing, but not what I was expecting).

Dry on skin: Faint, plant-tinged, musky saltiness. Like skin drying after being in the ocean, surrounded by seaweed.

After a few hours: Same as dry. This is salt water on me, not holy water.

Verdict: Far too bland to wear alone, but it might work differently in layers? I'll have to experiment with that, because the RPG scents are designed for layering.

In the imp: Very faint, something slightly tangy-aquatic.

Wet on my skin: This is crystalline blue and ...water.

Dry: Same as wet. I'm not sure of what is in this, but it's very evocative of slightly herbal, mineralized water. Seaweed, maybe? And salt? It's almost sweet, though, not like briny seawater. Light and pleasant, and I think I'm going to try layering it with Cleric just to see what it does.

Origin: Frimp in an order

Initial Thoughts: This one wasn't on my radar, so I have no idea what to expect. Water with a zing?

In the Vial: Close enough. Watery incense.Kind of evocative of a men's cologne.

Wet: The two sides of this stay fairly balanced at first. A sweet and gently spicy incense that has a very diluted quality to it.

Drydown: The incense in question must be based on light/white components, since dark patchouli and musk and amber and myrrh tend to amp badly on me. This isn't amping to the usual stinky degree but has strengthened and isn't smelling quite so watery.

Verdict: A light and pleasant incense, more holy than water. But it does feel a bit masculine to me - I might try it on the husband.

This is a really complex scent on me, moreso than I thought it would be.

In the bottle it smells like glue to me, but I am a terrible bottle sniffer. Anything I smell in a bottle is either hippy or glue.

When I put it on it smells like a bright beautiful aquatic with some kind of medicinal/herby green note to it. I want to say something like pine. It smells vaguely piney, but in a really really lovely way. It also irritates my skin very slightly if it's in the corner of my elbow or if there's a crease in my neck. It's a very clean, lovely, FRESH scent, without being too soapy or dryer-sheet-y or pine-sol-y. If I were a bettin woman I'd say there's some kind of white floral in there, and some very vague wisp of a soft musk or incense.

As it dries on me it turns somewhat powdery. The throw is very floral and clean still, but close to the skin that piney-resinous musky whatever it is still holds strong. I'd bet that just becoz of the way this is opening up my sinuses there is some kind of Jasmine or lily or something along those lines. Probably Lily.

This scent, on me, opens up into something I imagine an understatedly sophisticated older woman would wear. Powdery, clean, floral, dark. If I had to pick a colour for this scent it would be a bluish-purple, regal and soft. and strangely it does remind me of walking past the water basin at the entrance of a church.

Weirdly enough this turns into lotus-y bubble gum on me! Perhaps it's the age of the imp (probably at least a year old) but maybe not. It does start aquatic-y but that quickly fades in the face of the all-consuming lotus, presumably water lotus for the association alone. The base is a white musk of some kind and there are other florals to temper the lotsa lotus, but overall it is too linear for me to enjoy. Maybe in the diffuser I'll get something else out of it.

Not a fan of aquatics, but I love trying everything I have the chance at!

It's very cologney on me. And a bit citrusy. But mostly it smells like cologne. Of the random department store variety. It actually smells nothing like a typical aquatic on me A very traditional cologne is what I get. It's nice, actually, just not for me.

A clean, lightly green, white floral aquatic. I seem to smell a lightly sweet cucumber, and maybe gardenia, lilies, or lily of the valley, or some combo of those... After a while, I find mostly white musk. Surprisingly, this doesn't turn to soap on me.

The scent smells like clear water, and white and pale green colors. It makes me think a little of both Windward Passage and Squirting Cucumber. Once it's dried on me, it smells like a spa, but sweeter.

You know how when you're looking for detergent and you just want something which cleans your clothes without leaving heavy fake fragrance everywhere, so you get "unscented" or "free and clear" or "linen"? That's what this smells like. Aggressively inoffensive laundry detergent.

The first hour....

Glimmering, morning-star-kissed effervescent dew? Tears of the angels? Anointed diamond-scale mermaid skin? Summer rains over a sweet tropical pool? White mist rolling over damp white flowers? A sacred white-marble bath with sweet fresh herbs? Pale Citrus and white tea spilled on white porcelain? Pure sophistication in a crystal bottle? That liquid inside 'The Light of Eärendil'? The best aquatic I have ever smelled.

Dry down....

Plastic and dryer sheets. I hate you aquatics, but this time you really did tease me. I shan't trust you again.

Amazing. Soft white and lavender flowers (lilac? wisteria? kudzu?) soaked in cold water. They smell a little grape-like. The water is radiant, practically glowing with white light.

Sadly the drydown is cloying white florals and dryer sheets. Not for me.