Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gypsy_queen

Sexy, heady, incensey recs?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here on the forums and am hoping for some help putting together a set of imps to try. As I said in the topic, my preference is for heady incense scents, earthy and sexy. I usually wear Auric Blends perfumes, especially Black Opium, Forbidden Desire, Egyptian Goddess, and Desert Night. I'd love any and all recommendations you'd care to offer. I should say that I don't care at all for sweet or foody scents, and that I've tried Snake Oil and, sadly, don't care for it. On me, it was cloying and sickly sweet, and all root beer.

Thank you for reading! I'm eager to hear your thoughts! :D

Lizzie

I would recommend Great Vampire Bat, if you can find some, and The Lurid Library, which is a current Weenie.

Good luck and enjoy the search!

oh, holy crap! Those are my favs!

ok, snake oil, sweet incense, my go to everyday smell. You said you didn't like it, but mine ia aged, which smells way different then new.

Vixen, spicy sweet, a bit of exotic ginger spice and orange, dry down is intoxicating!

Snake charmer (good luck) sweet sugared incence plum to die for!!! smooth and smokey!

Temple viper (good luck) an all time love, surgared resins, creamy, spicy, sweet, heady resins

scherezade-smells like a box of sticks, nag champs esque

womb fury is a honey resin incense yummmmmm

mme moriarty, dark plum patchouli incense heavy heavy resin

schwartzer mond, a desperate favorite that I savor drop by drop. another plumy resin scent, sweet, dark, sexy purply

I don't like the foody scents and I know I have mostly sweet ones here, but it is an amber style sweet to me. I have others that are less sweet in my imps I will try to name too.

I have many more loves, but I am an incense resin addict, those are the ones I thought worthy enough to hunt bottles of, I will go through my imps too and see what other incense resins that I loved:)))

Edited by Ella LaRose

Midnight Mass, which is a Yule and is frequently available either as a recurring Yule offering or on the aftermarket, is very incense-y

Seconding the recommendation for Cathedral and since it's General Catalogue, you can get it as part of an imp pack from the lab. Every scent mentioned above is excellent too and some others I'd recommend that sadly are not available as imps from the lab, but you may be able to find some in the swap section of the forum are:

Heavenly Love and Earthly Love (Ambergris accord, benzoin, teakwood, frankincense, myrrh, Mysore sandalwood, and incense.) This is my absolute favourite incense/resin blend. It's a retail exclusive, meaning you can't get it from the Lab's website, but I got my bottle by posting an ISO and a lovely forumite was able to do a pickup for me.

White Peacock (Teak, ebony wood, osmanthus, patchouli, red sandalwood, vanilla orchid, tonka bean, tobacco, wild musk, spikenard, and sugandh kokila.) This one is a bit more woody than incensy, but it's divine and people are always asking "what smells like incense?" It was a limited edition this summer, but I've seen it in the swap section a few times.

Smoky Moon 2012 (Aged champaca, golden amber, guiac wood, dusky patchouli, twilit oudh, and feathery orris, with a touch of grapefruit, davana, and elemi to help lift it to the heavens.) Another gorgeous resin blend - I don't smell any of the grapefruit in it at all.

Penitence is another General Catalogue scent and while I didn't care for it, you might be interested. It's simply frankincense and myrrh.

There's also a huge thread here on incense/resin blends with many suggestions that you may want to browse through: http://www.bpal.org/topic/9995-the-lowdown-on-incense-resin-the-best-recommendations/

Edited by Andalei

Raven Moon strikes me as a very sexy incensey scent - the chili adds a little bit of coolness to the scent. It feels a little aloof, almost an unattainable sexy.

lust.

third charm.

scherezade.

romanti.goth.

midnight bell. -- if you like holy terror, i rec. this

al azif.

oh! and mme moriarty.

Snake Oil doesn't work for me, either - it's way too sweet. I tend to wear masculine scents, so my recommendations tend to fall in that area. My skin chemistry is a little weird, so I think I get incense where other folks don't but anyhow, some general catalog recommendations:

Dracul - Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom - this was, for me, what I wanted Cathedral to be. I don't get mint or orange.

If you're okay with leather scents (they're vegan if they don't contain honey/beeswax,) Iago - sinuous black musk, wet leather and vetiver - or Rogue (from RPG) - black leather, hemp, and rosin. Iago for me is more leathery, Rogue is more incensey.

If you're okay with a little boozy, Hellfire - pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

If you're okay with spicy, Sin - amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon - and it's spicier cousin, Satyr. Both of these are remarkably sexy.

If you want to hunt down old LEs:

The Seekim - this one has some nice patchouli and hay notes with incense ash.

October (2007 or 2010) - this one is leaves and smoke, mostly.

Hiya Lizzie :wave: welcome to the forum!

I lovelovelove heady incense scents too - and luckily BPAL makes some gorgeous ones! Since you're new around here, and you're looking for imps, it's probably best to stick to the General Catalogue (GC) blends for now - there's been some beautiful incense-y/earthy/sexy BPALs come out in the Limited Edition (LE) blends but you can only buy them at a certain time and after that they can be hard to find. But the 'For Sale' section of this forum is an excellent place to look for them, if you hear of an LE that you think sounds perfect - or even to hunt for imps, you can find plenty there :smile:

I looked up the notes/descriptions in those Auric Blends perfumes that you mentioned - it seems you like sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, and woods-y notes, but two of them have jasmine in common, so I'm going to second a couple of things that have already been mentioned.. for the incense/earthy/sexy vibe - Cathedral, Sin, Urd, Obsidian Widow, Vixen, Perversion.. and for the lighter side Morocco, Tombstone, Dee and and Lyonesse come to mind.

You might also like to take a look at this post - it's a little index of recommendations categories, so there's one for incense blends, and pretty much everything else you might ever want to get recommendations on - with direct links :smile:

Yes, pass the incense over here.

The Night Raven has the incense note that is in Third Charm, which is a current Weenie. I would recommend The Night Raven, my number one incense favorite.

A different type of incense, warmer, more like Morocco is Al Azif.

Also Lurid.

The Night Raven is the most pure incense blend IMO.

There are already a lot of great recs here, but I want to add in El Dorado. It's in the Wanderlust category with notes of "Copal resin incense blowing through halls of dazzling gold." One of my favorites and a really unique incensey blend from bpal with dark, spicy, earthy undertones.

I have gotten so many imp in this scent base! I like most of mine sweeter then it seems you do, but I have bunch that are inscense resin to me, I will go through the ones I loved enough to keep:)

oh czernabog (I didn't keep it, but it is churchy wood)

fenris wolf

I love inez, amber favorite

svadhinapaoitika

tombeur, sunning!

heavenly love and earthly love

wilf, a bit sweet, not for me but maybe for you, but gender neutral

dance of death

ecclesiastical excess

Le Lethe, Shub, and Heretic (I hear! Waits, with bated breath...).

Ooh, yes! I can't wait to try Heretic!

Edited by Andalei

Heretic is gorgeous incense, not sweet, just lovely pure incense!

A little smoky, very unisex IMO, but really the only way to describe it is stunning. :D

I second Shub-Niggurath. Some people get gingerbread from it, but to me the ginger is non-foody, and just spices up the incense. I find it verrry sexy!

I love Shub-Niggurath...but I don't get incense from it, must be my nose.

For lovely and dark incense my favorite I've found so far is Kabuki.

I agree with Witch Dance, also Spellbound!!! :wub2:

ETA If you can find WILF it has a nice champaca note in it. And The Orgy is very pretty too.

And if you like patchouli, you must try Goblin. :)

Edited by violetblue

Adding Thieves Rosin to this list. It is a gorgeous slightly sweet resin. I adore it. I worship it. And I recommend it highly. :D :joy: