Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Red Velvet Truffle Bath Oil

The scent of pulverized red velvet cake mixed with cream cheese frosting, stuffed with candy bark, rolled into balls, and coated with white chocolate.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I adore red velvet cake (it's basically but not exactly chocolate :wub2: and there's cream cheese icing to boot!). So I was really looking forward to this bath oil.

(Please note that I don't use the oil in the bath, as I'm a shower gal, and only use the bath oil like a lotion.)

I applied some of this to the back of my clean and dry hands. First sniff, was just a generic sweet scent. As it dried, I got hints of the dire plastic note that vanilla can sometimes turn into on me. :( After it dried, there were whiffs of something like red velvet cake when I waved my hands around, but if I sniffed the skin, it was back to that mildly sweet scent. :( Several hours later, just that generic sweet scent. Maybe I amp cream cheese? Why couldn't I have ampped red velvet cake instead?

I do so dislike to give a somewhat negative review, but I ordered this right away, instead of getting a decant, and I'm a bit saddened.

I'll test again, after it has a bit more time to settle, and re-read the label to see if I need to gently mix or shake it. And then I'll edit this review, hopefully with better news.

ETA: Well, it's been a while, so I'm trying this again. It's better for the aging, but there is a sharp note lurking under the generic sweetness. I'll revisit around Box of Chocolates time. :) Note that I did gently shake the oil before testing this time. Adding that the sharp note (what could that be?) does lessen as this dries down. I plan to layer with chocolate scents and cake scents. :)

I'm going to be in complete contrast of the above. I normally don't like foodie scents, but saw this at NYCC and had to test it out. Wow! I got a really defined sweet cake-ness to the general smell, but on the top, piercing through the entire scent was this incredibly sharp and twangy cream cheese icing smell. It really helped take the edge off of what I would normally consider as too sweet and too foodie, having that sweet/sour cream cheese tang shoot out across as the top note, really keeping the rest of the scent in check. Definitely going to be looking for an ounce of this.

Holy cow. This is awesome. Smells just like my favorite kind of cake. I can't wait to bath in the stuff!!! Yummy, delicious red velvet and chocolate. Definitely a foodie lover's dream bath scent. :wub2:

Edited by angelicruin

This is om nom nom!

I definitely get Red Velvet cake from this - not so much the frosting, but definite cake! I used this as an in-shower moisturizer, and it left a subtle scent on my skin. I can see where the platic-y vibes other mentioned came from, because I noticed it had almost a high pitch almond/amaretto vibe at times, which I could see being confused with a plastic/artificial smell. Either way, I really like it, It's delish!

I decided to layer this with Eat Me and Snow White - (this is my poor man's version of cake smash.)

:wub2:

Edited by sharkdiver

I tried this out for the first time this morning. WOW. My husband makes the best red velvet cake in the world (along with the best vanilla cream cheese frosting) and this oil smells *exactly* like that. You get the cake, the cocoa, the cream cheese, everything. I am so glad I picked up two bottles because bottle number one is going to disappear very quickly, methinks. This is easily up in my top three BPTP bath oils of all time - freaking delicious!

Review: Yep, that is red velvet cake with butter cream frosting. Cake and frosting dominant. White chocolate is a strong third, with the candy bark soft and mostly supporting the white chocolate. It’s exactly as you’d expect from the description and I have nothing clever to say.

I'm another of the shower gals who uses the bath oil as a skin moisturizer. In the bottle, this does smell exactly like red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. Delicious!

Unfortunately, on my skin, it's a totally different beast. It goes to instant plastic vanilla and Coppertone tanning oil. I have no idea where all that delicious cake and slightly tart cream cheese scent goes. I've used it a couple of days in a row now to the same end. Maybe in a bath it'll retain more of the cake smell. Direct skin application doesn't work on me with this one at all.

Excellent red velvet cake scent when used as a skin moisturizer, which is how I use my bath oils. I don't get a strong cream cheese note, as the cake is more prominent and it is a little more chocolate than I had expected. But it's absolutely lovely and I am definitely going to order a couple of backup bottles before it goes away. I really wish this one had been sold in the 8 oz. size, although the price point in that size would probably have limited Puddin's sales greatly.

This is also perfect when worn as a skin moisturizer under my Halloween: Las Vegas perfume, and I imagine it will do the same under Cake Smash.

Well...in the bottle it smells lovely and makes me want some red velvet hot cocoa but after about 10 minutes in the bath it smells medicinal AND perfumey which didn't work out so well. :-( I will try it as a moisturizer soon and hope it works out. :-)

ETA: 25 Nov 2013: I can't believe I forgot to add that this smells awesome as a moisturizer! I add a bit to my vanilla lotion and its sooo yummy. :-) Still turns on me in the bath but its good on the skin.

Edited by Herb Girl

I've tried this both as a skin moisturizer and as a bath oil. Sadly, the smell disappears on both. I agree with Poenari that it doesn't have a strong cream cheese frosting. It's straight cake, and smells delicious!

You HAVE to shake this one !!! :)

Have to, seriously ;)

I love it, it is real cake, red velvet with cream cheese frosting, so good! :wub2:

Agreeing with Herb Girl - something in this goes funny on my skin. It may be the chocolate - that never lasts on me in any BPAL perfume, so maybe it's what's causing the problem. It smells like amazing delicious cake in the bottle, so I could see how this could be amazing for someone else, but it's just not amazing for me.

I don't know how I forgot to review this! Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones that can wear this and have it remain true to the fantastic cake and frosting scent in the bottle. Rich and edible. I wish I had sprung for a full bottle rather than a decant.

Red velvet cake, and when it dries down more cream cheese and more white chocolate. It's rich, foodie, cake-y. If you love cake and foodiness, this one smells like the actual baked goods. Red velvet and tasty goodness. Super rich and baked goods.