Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lightly spiced pumpkin pulp swirled with bourbon vanilla, French vanilla, and raw vanilla bean.

I have a BUNCH of BPAL pumpkin scents and this is right up there with my favorite one. In fact, I think I've got enough of a sampling that I won't ever need another BPAL pumpkin scent again. They all share the same pumpkin note (which is not a squashy pumpkin smell but a spiced pumpkin smell that is a bit sharp). This particular blend is very "smooth". I can't really pick out the vanillas but I do like this alot and it's one of the more wearable scents for me.

In the bottle: Oh my God, it smells like Gluttony, in the best possible way. Sweet, melty foody goodness.

On the skin: There's more of a pumpkin note, buried in a pile of vanilla.

Overall: This reminds me of Pumpkin Patch V 2009, which works out well, as that's my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch series. It's sweet, it's pumpkin and it's very much an edible scent. If that's your bag, go for it.

wet: As all pumpkin blends, when I first put them on...I feel like I have gotten hit in the face by a big ole pumpkin pie. The spice is actually overwhelming and makes me gag. :( BUT: As this dried the vanilla took over. Bourbon, Vanilla Bean, French Vanilla...all took turns swirling around the pumpkin to turn it into a beautiful piece of aromatic art. Dry..I get light pumpkin with a soft gorgeous blend of each vanilla. Do not walk, RUN and get this perfume NOW. It is gorgeous now and I bet in a few months it will be gorgeous. :D

Edited by Dark Alice

I like adding a shot of vanilla to a pumpkin latte and I love all these notes, so I've been really keen to try Pumpkin V. Since it's fresh from the mailbox, it may well change a bit as it settles, but I just couldn't wait.

The scent is kind of like a pumpkin buttercream in the bottle, but on my skin the pumpkin surprisingly is stronger than all that vanilla. This is the same creamy pumpkin note as what's in the three other BPAL pumpkin blends I've smelled. On me it has a light to medium throw.

I like this; it's not like anything else I own. Even though I'd like it if the vanilla were just a bit stronger, I think that could become the case as it settles from shipment and as it ages.

Fresh out of the mailbox-SPICY pumpkin with vanilla in the background. Eventually the vanilla moved up a bit and the spices toned down. Smelled a lot like pumpkin latte w/out the coffee note at that point

Next day- the spices calmed down and mixed nicely in with the pumpkin, and the vanilla was much more evident (made it a creamy pumpkin with spiced smell). Decent throw, I applied to my neck and wrists and my mother detected pumpkin from about 2.5 feet away. That's better then most perfumes on me

I got a decant of this and none of the other Pumpkins this year purely because this one's description implied it was heavy on the vanilla, which I love.

Right off the bat, I get that spice-heavy pumpkin note that is so prevalent in the Pumpkin V of 2009 and Pumpkin Latte. That pumpkin note doesn't play nice with my chemistry and amps itself into some horrible artificial spice, so I'm hoping this goes better than my tests of the other two went.

I can tell the vanilla is helping to tone down the sharpness of the spice, and adding some nice, creamy depth to the scent.

After a few minutes, it starts to remind me a lot of Chimera - a very sweet cinnamon scent. It's not the same overwhelming potpourri spice that Pumpkin V '09 and Pumpkin Latte morph into on my skin, which is a big relief. The vanilla is definitely there, and it's buttery and quite rich, almost making my mouth water. This is similar to how I wanted Pumpkin Latte to smell on me - creamy, spicy, sweet pumpkin and vanilla. I like this a lot - it's very foody, and therefore right up my alley. It smells like sweet pumpkin cake with a drizzle of rich vanilla glaze, something like what they pour on cinnamon rolls. Anyone who thinks that sounds delicious really ought to try this scent.

About 15 minutes in, it has become much less like Chimera and more like its own wonderful thing. The different vanillas are coming through, and I swear they are creating a scent sort of like cream cheese frosting. So now this smells like a pumpkin roll cake, with lots of yummy cream cheese frosting.

It's much better than I had dared hope, considering my track record with BPAL's pumpkin. I can tell this is just going to get better with age. I definitely wouldn't say no to a bottle of this - for the time being, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my decant.

Well, hmph. I thought I was going to be madly in love with this and for a moment I was...the beginning has that realy lovely rich buttercream note that others have mentioned. But three minutes later it's all cinnamon on me? So disappointing. I seriously can't smell anything else right now :/

I love this! First Pumpkin scent that is a win! And I had a feeling because it was drowned in vanillas. I do smell the vague pumpkin but it's mainly vanilla and spice and I LOVE that! :wub2:

I have been searching for the perfect pumpkin scent but they had all done wacky things on my skin. This one sounded like the perfect mix for me because I ADORE all the BPAL vanilla scents, so here goes....

Out of the bottle-oh it smells delicious!! Vanilla pumpkiny goodness!!

Wet on my skin- WTF? What is that?? That's not what it smells like in the bottle at all. My skin is morphing it into a heavy spice scent. No pumpkin, no vanilla!

Drydown- unfortunately my skin amped up whatever spice was put in and I just smelled like a cheap autumn candle. I tried it again a second time the next day and had to get it off within ten minutes. Sigh... looks like I need to stay away from the 'pumpkin' all together.

Pumpkin Masala Rooibos is that you?

Yep, pretty much.

Side by side they are almost identical except that PMR has that lovely deep red tea note to offset all the Spice! Dry the spice does mellow a lot in this one and it is lovely, but I'm not sure that it's different enough/I like it enough to keep it and PMR.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have had some very good pumpkin experiences with BPAL, both on the foody and not-foody spectrum. Of this year's Pumpkins, this one was the only one to not have a death note and as a bonus it has tons of vanilla.

In the Bottle: Rich sweet vanilla and spicy pumpkin. Almost like a fresh pumpkin pie. It is delicious.

Wet: Like several others have noted, the spice amps up in a big way. For the moment it's all cinnamon and nutmeg with a sweet undertone and very little pumpkin.

Drydown: My patience is rewarded - after a few minutes the spice relaxes and the vanilla comes back in full force. The pumpkin is there, but very quiet in the background. People who love the vanilla but aren't hugely fond of pumpkin may find themselves liking this.

Verdict: Keeper! I am so glad that the Pumpkins weren't a set this year.

In the bottle, smells very spicy/vanilla-ey.

On skin: it is a nice autumn spicy scent but I am kind of disappointed at the lack of vanilla on me! :cry2: It is a nice scent, but not complex on me... can't decide if I should keep or swap away!

Been thinking about this....and it reminds me of a slightly paler version of Blue Pumpkin Floss!!

Edited by Numanoid

2012 bottle-straight from the lab. In the bottle it smells like pumpkin spice, kind of reminds me of Yankee Candle or some type of home fragrance. On me I can smell the various spices- very autumn like scent. It is a nice scent nonetheless. Maybe I am more accustomed to smelling pumpkin spice in candles, febreeze, etc. so probably just my association with this type of scent.

Spicy pumpkin vanilla. Really straight-forward on me, nice and i'm thinking it will age well too. More spicy than i expected given all of the vanilla notes in the description.

In the bottle this seems to have the buttery pumpkin note that can be problematic on me.

On the skin, I am immediately assaulted by a bizarre alcohol/chemical smell. As it dries down, I start to pick up a raw cookie dough scent (yum), but that weird alcohol/chemical smell is still present. The pumpkin is far in the background here, so much so that I probably wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't know it was there from the notes.

With additional time, some spices start to emerge, lighter and higher than in Pumpkin II or Pumpkin Latte. The spices gradually overtake the cookie dough scent (which is a shame) but at least the chemical smell has disappeared. Pumpkin V reminds me of Kourabiedes (from the 2010 TP Bag of Coal) but with nutmeg rather than clove.

I'm interested to see what happens to Pumpkin V with a bit of aging, but I don't think I'll need more than a decant.

This starts out with the Lab's signature spiced pumpkin smell covered by vanilla. Rather pleasant, even if it smells like something I'd rather eat than wear. However, on my skin the triple vanilla whammy amps quickly into nauseatingly oversweet territory. :sick:

Not for me.

I was sucked in by all of the lovely vanillas in the description, but this is way too heavy on the cinnamon/spice for me (definitely not a 'lightly' spiced pumpkin to my nose). It smells like sharp cinnamon potpourri with a slightly buttery undertone from the pumpkin. Too much cinnamon that gives me a headache after a while. I love the French vanilla note in Joyful Moon, so I hope it gets used as a main note in some future blends. I don't even think of vanilla at all when I smell this one :(

Pumpkin, cinnamon and huge swirls of vanilla. Pumpkin can be kinda buttery on me, but the cinnamon keeps that in check, and the vanilla adds the necessary sweetness.

It makes me think of the Starbucks seasonal pumpkin latte they have, minus the coffee. Fortunately on me, this is a very close skin scent, so I find it much more wearable. If the throw were bigger, I'd worry that is overly sweet or spicy.

Spicy, sweet, vanilla pumpkin.

I may need more of this in my life.

In the bottle, this is probably the most foodie scent I own. It's straight up pumpkin pie with a caramalized sugar/burnt sugar topping and lots of layers of vanilla.

Wet: Holy pumpkin pie spice, Batman! It's like a mixed bottle of nutmeg, clove, and allspice with a touch of pumpkin and the plastic note of doom that some vanillas leave on me for some reason. Oh no! I was worried right after application. My husband wrinkled his nose and said Yankee Candle Shop. I had to agree.

Dry down: Thankfully, the really sharp spices tame down to something more chai-like and an underlying creaminess to the pumpkin. The plastic vanilla goes away and leaves me with a vanilla similar to the one in Tombstone, heavy and not too sweet.

The initial throw on me was crazy strong. It tamed down after an hour or two but never to the point of a skin scent. The vanilla got creamier and sweeter after a few hours. The spices tamed down to just a small hint, and the pumpkin never fully disappeared. I'm not much for foodie scents on the whole. However, I'm glad I gave this one a try. It's pretty much the epitome of what I associate with autumn scents and flavors.

This reminds me very much of Pumpkin Princess. More specifically, the drydown of PP. It is very creamy. It's also quite simple so it would lend itself well to layering. It has a smoothness that is easy to love. I actually don't get a lot of spice, and I am very very sensitive to that. It's a buttery smooth vanilla with a teensy suggestion of pumpkin.

Edited by ModderRhu

In the Bottle: Sweet, buttery pumpkin. Lots of butter, lots of pumpkin. (Can I eat this now?! :eek: )

Wet On Skin: More of the pumpkin, less of the butter. I think the French Vanilla is peeking out a little at this point, too.

Dry Down: Echoin what others have said, I ind I'm surprised by the amount of spice that's showing up. It's almost a softer version of Candied Pumpkin on me, which suits fine because I *adore* that scent, though I'm hoping that with some aging this might become a little more creamy.

In All: O lovely addition to the Patch, and it might be a good "starter pumpkin" for some, as it's mostly about the pumpkin and less about other notes ;)

Glad I have a bottle!

This starts off heavy on the spice with a little pumpkin. The pumpkin fades out, the spice tones down a bit, and I get a lovely vanilla blend. The drydown is a lightly-spiced vanilla. The throw is light, and this doesn't last too long on my skin.

I quite like this and hope it will age well, as pumpkin scents usually do (in my opinion). If it does, it may beat Pumpkin II 2009 as my favourite of the Pumpkin Patch scents. :wub2:

Starts off as an absolutely nummy creamy pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream, and to my nose is exactly like BBW's Creamy Pumpkin candle in perfume form. Unfortunately it's incredibly fleeting, and within just half an hour is nothing more than a very light vanilla'd pumpkin. The first bit smells so good though I'll risk a bottle and hope some aging will help it stick around longer.

EDIT 11/15: Nope, as pretty as this is it's just too damn fleeting for a bottle purchase. A shame.

Edited by thatbrownelf

I was really hoping for less foody pumpkin and more "fresh" pumpkin smell with some spices and some sharper, less sweet vanillas. That's, uh, pretty clearly not what happened here. :lol:

In the bottle: Gooey caramel pecan pastry. I have no idea where the pecan is coming from or where the pumpkin went but there you have it.

On Me: Caramel spice sweet vanilla. Smells like a Yankee Candle caramel - overly sweet. In all of the other Pumpkin Patch scents I could clearly smell the pumpkin but in this one, the vanilla and sweetness really took over and all I got was caramel-sweet vanilla.